In room alcohol and Mariner lunch day of embarkation

maxxboy

We're excited about our second HAL cruise (who wouldn't be!) and have a couple questions. Looking at the in-room alcohol selections, it looks like Jim Beam (35.65 a bottle)is the only bourbon available. My partner would almost rather drink gasoline instead of Jim Beam! Can he get something delivered to the room like Knob Creek or Makers Mark once on board?

Also, we may take advantage of the Mariner's lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. Is there anything we need to present in order to gain access?

Thanks!

We're excited about our second HAL cruise (who wouldn't be!) and have a couple questions. Looking at the in-room alcohol selections, it looks like Jim Beam (35.65 a bottle)is the only bourbon available. My partner would almost rather drink gasoline instead of Jim Beam! Can he get something delivered to the room like Knob Creek or Makers Mark once on board?

Also, we may take advantage of the Mariner's lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. Is there anything we need to present in order to gain access?

Thanks!

The Mariner's lunch is available to Three, Four and now, Five Star Mariners; sometimes they can't even accommodate Three Star. Also, whenever you dine in the MDR you have to give your cabin number.

Enjoy!

For access, show your room key, it will have your Mariner status on it.

Whether you get access or not will depend on how many 3, 4 or 5 star Mariners are sailing with you. Some cruises have so many high ranking Mariners that 1 or 2 star Mariners are not invited.

Thanks!

You can call ship's services to see if there is another bourbon that you can pre-order for your cabin. That said, I have pre-ordered single malt Scotch, had the emails from the ship stating it was available and would be delivered to my cabin, and in a Neptune Suite have not had it happen:(. However, my backup plan would be to go to one of the bars and order a bottle just for me. . .Sometimes they've been able to accommodate me. You can also ask for the beverage manager to try to get a bottle to the cabin. You'll pay full price but it you want it in the room, its worth it.

s

I have not done so myself but it is my understanding that you can purchase other brands for your stateroom at one of the bars onboard the ship. Our travel companions did this on our last cruise on the Eurodam. And I agree with your remark concerning Jim Beam.

The Mariner's lunch is available to Three, Four and now, Five Star Mariners; sometimes they can't even accommodate Three Star. Also, whenever you dine in the MDR you have to give your cabin number. Enjoy!

The welcome back Mariner's embarkation lunch is still listed as a perk for one and two star Mariners. I have found it standard practice that when cruisers asked at embarkation check-in they were told only three star or more. Personally I think shore-side staff makes up half that stuff.

There were plenty of empty tables all around us on our Westerdam cruise in March - yet everyone was told at the terminal that they couldn't attend until three star or above. I have never seen anyone turned away at the MDR door. I realize they do, on occasion, close the MDR for private functions. I get that. But I urge anyone who is a Mariner to show up at the door and request seating if you really want to dine there.

The Mariner's lunch on embarkation day is for ALL star Mariner's. It is from Noon and until 1:30. The earlier you get there, the better chance you have of not being turned away. Several times the dining room was closed because there was a function going on.

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to inquire about other bourbon options. Or you can wait until you are on the ship and talk to one of the bar tenders about what bourbon you would like to have delivered to your cabin.

The Mariner's lunch on embarkation day is for ALL star Mariner's. It is from Noon and until 1:30. The earlier you get there, the better chance you have of not being turned away. Several times the dining room was closed because there was a function going on.

I agree, it is for ALL Mariners and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's about the only 'perk' a 1 star gets! I've never known the MDR to be so full they have to turn 1 and 2 star Mariners away and when our son joined us on his first cruise he was allowed to join us too.

I have heard that the MDR is sometimes closed for a function in which case it probably isn't open to any non-function guests.

Happy sailing.

Mumsy.

The Mariner's lunch is available to Three, Four and now, Five Star Mariners; sometimes they can't even accommodate Three Star. Also, whenever you dine in the MDR you have to give your cabin number.

Enjoy!

Perhaps you're confusing the Embarkation Lunch with the Mariners' Brunch which happens sometime during the cruise, sometimes not all Mariners get invited to that.

Mumsy.

The welcome back Mariner's embarkation lunch is still listed as a perk for one and two star Mariners. I have found it standard practice that when cruisers asked at embarkation check-in they were told only three star or more. Personally I think shore-side staff makes up half that stuff.

There were plenty of empty tables all around us on our Westerdam cruise in March - yet everyone was told at the terminal that they couldn't attend until three star or above. I have never seen anyone turned away at the MDR door. I realize they do, on occasion, close the MDR for private functions. I get that. But I urge anyone who is a Mariner to show up at the door and request seating if you really want to dine there.

Standard practice? It has NEVER happened to me (my last Mariner lunch was 8/17/13 on the Veendam. It is DEFINITELY listed as a benefit for ALL star levels and if it ever did happen to me, you can be sure the dining room service would be rated Not Acceptable.

Roy

Thanks!

Yes, you can call Ship's Services (1-800-541-1576) and order a different bourbon for the room. My DH hates Jim Beam also and likes Jack Daniels. I was able to order him a bottle for $56.35. I am sure there are quite a few other brands available. Give them a call.

I have not done so myself but it is my understanding that you can purchase other brands for your stateroom at one of the bars onboard the ship. Our travel companions did this on our last cruise on the Eurodam. And I agree with your remark concerning Jim Beam.

Yes I agree, there are many people I know that hate Jim Beam, and you would think they would add a few more brands to the online list like Makers Mark or Jack Daniels.....just sayin'....

Standard practice? It has NEVER happened to me (my last Mariner lunch was 8/17/13 on the Veendam. It is DEFINITELY listed as a benefit for ALL star levels and if it ever did happen to me, you can be sure the dining room service would be rated Not Acceptable.

Roy

"Where would I find a comment card?" might help HAL staff find you an available seat after all. From the Holland America website, one star benifits:

Star Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

TS2006_VS_07_C0038-champagn.jpg

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner magazine
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

Enjoy!

You may be told this just as we were on our second cruise. DH simply took me by the hand and we arrived at the MDR. I stood back hesitantly, since I don't want to intrude where I'm not supposed to be. He gave our cabin #, the waiter smiled, welcomed us aboard, and showed us to a table for two as DH requested. During the time we were eating, a steady flow of people were shown to tables, but never was the lower level of the MDR crowded.

Later, we found out from the Front Desk that HA representatives at check-in will often tell passengers that the embarkation brunch is only for 3 stars & above to avoid crowding the MDR. But no one who shows up is turned away if they're a returning Mariner.

Maybe this policy has changed in the intervening years since we were 1 star at the time. We are now 3 star. At least show up, give your cabin #. The worst that can happen is that you'd be denied entrance, but knowing HA's gracious staff, I doubt this would happen. It's worth a shot anyway.

DH says "don't ask to begin with; just show up." :) Good advice! Happy cruising.

It's a nice menu,but attendance seems to vary. On Veendam it was pretty full. On Eurodam from Amsterdam there were about 4-5 tables max. I think it depends a lot whether the cruise attracts Mariners or not.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forums mobile app

You may be told this just as we were on our second cruise. DH simply took me by the hand and we arrived at the MDR. I stood back hesitantly, since I don't want to intrude where I'm not supposed to be. He gave our cabin #, the waiter smiled, welcomed us aboard, and showed us to a table for two as DH requested. During the time we were eating, a steady flow of people were shown to tables, but never was the lower level of the MDR crowded.

Later, we found out from the Front Desk that HA representatives at check-in will often tell passengers that the embarkation brunch is only for 3 stars & above to avoid crowding the MDR. But no one who shows up is turned away if they're a returning Mariner.

Maybe this policy has changed in the intervening years since we were 1 star at the time. We are now 3 star. At least show up, give your cabin #. The worst that can happen is that you'd be denied entrance, but knowing HA's gracious staff, I doubt this would happen. It's worth a shot anyway.

DH says "don't ask to begin with; just show up." :) Good advice! Happy cruising.

Thank you. Apparently I didn't get the point across in my post as I was questioned. Thanks for confirming!

Although DH and I are 3 stars, we have never attended the embarkation lunch. What kind of food is served there? We just might "storm the castle" this year :) .

Someone may post the current menu, I don't have one. I can tell you that in March on the Westerdam my DH said the salmon offered was the best he had ever eaten.

Standard practice? It has NEVER happened to me (my last Mariner lunch was 8/17/13 on the Veendam. It is DEFINITELY listed as a benefit for ALL star levels and if it ever did happen to me, you can be sure the dining room service would be rated Not Acceptable. Roy

I don't think you understood my post. Of course the Embarkation Lunch is still listed as a benefit for ALL star levels. I was reporting what I had overheard in the terminal at check-in on at least the last three cruises. See post #20, who also confirmed what I heard.

Archived