Internet Access Speed Priority 1 choosing next cruise

earthdog

RCI's Oasis of the Seas has high-speed internet w/ wifi provided by O3b. The new system is also being installed on Allure of the Seas. I'm not sure of the completion date, or if it's already installed.

Do you happen to know the speed?

I was the wireless engineer for a large group of hospitals.. there are so many variables involved it just ain't going to happen. If You must have high speed internet forget cruising. Your own SAT phone setup won't buy you much. Ever watch the major networks when they have a reporter in Europe on a cell?

Your own SAT phone setup won't buy you much. Ever watch the major networks when they have a reporter in Europe on a cell?

Unless the reporter is in the middle of a war zone (not likely in Europe), those shaky video conferences/video reports are generally VOIP calls or running off the network's own satellite system. I would guess those network satellite connections are considerably different that Iridium's network because we have done video conferences via sat phone from a true war zone and it worked extremely well. The giant upload dishes the networks have are on mobile trucks and subject to all kinds of weather/atmospheric interference. And those running VOIP are running through the regular cell/internet network in Europe. I am certainly no wireless guru but have a lot of time and money tied up into making sure we have communication at a top level 24/7.

As I posted, we have two sat phones and one modem. They are needed in our business (international logistics) due to some of the places we ship and receive food products to and from.

They were truly lifesavers during 911 when we had trucks loaded with food all over the country and all cell service and landline service went out in our NYC office. There was about 1/2 the fleet who could not get in touch via cell to any of our three offices. Via those sat phones, we were able to direct our trucks away from any potential problems in Manhattan, the Bronx and Long Island City where a lot of our deliveries are.

I have also used them extensively in Iraq, Afghanistan and on the road from Kuwait City to Baghdad where cell service isn't the best once you get close to the Iraqi border (but it is pretty darn good once you get about 50 miles into Iraq).

Have I taken mine on cruises? Yes, every cruise. Have I used them for fast internet service? Just once and that was due to a truck wreck with cheese scattered all over I-80 and there were a lot of arrangements to be made.

Driver was OK, truck was barely damaged but fuel leaked slightly out of the reefer tank and EPA/FDA, every other government agency thought the cheese had gotten contaminated. When it finally got through someone's head that the cheese came out the back door of the trailer and the reefer tank is 1/2 way to the front of the trailer (about 25-30 feet between the 2) and there was very little fuel leakage, our insurance company was able to send in the salvage crew and get the cheese off I-80. There were a lot of pigs in Eastern PA that ate very well for a couple of weeks.

For a couple of instances in true emergency situations, those sat phones are worth every dime we have tied up in them. Just to have fast internet on a cruise-ain't no way I would drag all those parts and pieces just to have fast internet.

So we just got off the Breeze a few weeks ago and I just simply can't stand the internet access speed it was miserable and way worse than dialup.

I require true high speed internet access. I am willing to pay for it too my issue is what carrier really has SOLID and FAST internet access.

I "need" to schedule another cruise but I can't stand the speed Carnival provides (or really doesn't).

I realize the limitations of Satellite access but I can't take what Carnival offers. Any suggestions?

No. 1 priority when choosing a cruise?

Itinerary?

Ship?

Service?

Cabin availability?

No. High speed Internet access!

#FirstWorldProblems

We have one simple rule. What ever happens, we will learn about it when we get home. If our house burns down. If someone dies, etc., etc. Nothing we can do about it at sea. In port, find a wi-fi spot and waste your vacation time to do what you think that you need to do in your absence. If you can't trust your family, friends, co-workers or workers while you are away, just don't go.:rolleyes:

Wasting time is a relative term. If OP feels they need Internet, so be it. I fail to see what impact it would have on you and your vacation...

We have one simple rule. What ever happens, we will learn about it when we get home. If our house burns down. If someone dies, etc., etc. Nothing we can do about it at sea. In port, find a wi-fi spot and waste your vacation time to do what you think that you need to do in your absence. If you can't trust your family, friends, co-workers or workers while you are away, just don't go.:rolleyes:

But we don't all have the luxury. And yes, it is a luxury.

That's a bit harsh for some of us.

When I was responsible for the care of my elderly, ailing mother and there was no one else to make serious decisions, I had to be reached or I couldn't leave home. DH and I, too, need vacations.

Not all of us have the luxury you describe though most of us would enjoy it were we able.

The only way we can travel is to be able to connect to home on a regular basis. Doesn't have to be daily but it has to be consistently.

Exactly. We care for my MIL, who is 93 with some major health issues. We are it for her as far has having the ability to make decisions. I knew on our last cruise that something might come up that would require us leaving and flying home. Thankfully, it didn't. But we needed to be able to check in.

Unless the reporter is in the middle of a war zone (not likely in Europe), those shaky video conferences/video reports are generally VOIP calls or running off the network's own satellite system. I would guess those network satellite connections are considerably different that Iridium's network because we have done video conferences via sat phone from a true war zone and it worked extremely well. The giant upload dishes the networks have are on mobile trucks and subject to all kinds of weather/atmospheric interference. And those running VOIP are running through the regular cell/internet network in Europe. I am certainly no wireless guru but have a lot of time and money tied up into making sure we have communication at a top level 24/7.

As I posted, we have two sat phones and one modem. They are needed in our business (international logistics) due to some of the places we ship and receive food products to and from.

They were truly lifesavers during 911 when we had trucks loaded with food all over the country and all cell service and landline service went out in our NYC office. There was about 1/2 the fleet who could not get in touch via cell to any of our three offices. Via those sat phones, we were able to direct our trucks away from any potential problems in Manhattan, the Bronx and Long Island City where a lot of our deliveries are.

I have also used them extensively in Iraq, Afghanistan and on the road from Kuwait City to Baghdad where cell service isn't the best once you get close to the Iraqi border (but it is pretty darn good once you get about 50 miles into Iraq).

Have I taken mine on cruises? Yes, every cruise. Have I used them for fast internet service? Just once and that was due to a truck wreck with cheese scattered all over I-80 and there were a lot of arrangements to be made.

Driver was OK, truck was barely damaged but fuel leaked slightly out of the reefer tank and EPA/FDA, every other government agency thought the cheese had gotten contaminated. When it finally got through someone's head that the cheese came out the back door of the trailer and the reefer tank is 1/2 way to the front of the trailer (about 25-30 feet between the 2) and there was very little fuel leakage, our insurance company was able to send in the salvage crew and get the cheese off I-80. There were a lot of pigs in Eastern PA that ate very well for a couple of weeks.

For a couple of instances in true emergency situations, those sat phones are worth every dime we have tied up in them. Just to have fast internet on a cruise-ain't no way I would drag all those parts and pieces just to have fast internet.

you know I always wondered how they get high speed internet on many of the smaller islands. They don't have a cable connection. They use satellites too. that is how cable is delivered to most areas. Direct tv uses satellites to deliver gigabytes size data to tv's. Yes the base stations are fixed but the theory is the same. Not that I care that much but it seems to me that the cruise ships are using last generation equipment.

Supposedly Oasis of the Seas became the first ship in the world with high speed this past June. Allure to come online next year.

I sympathize with the poster, know how difficult it can be with in effect dial up. Some of us just need highspeed for business or whatever!

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

We were on the Oasis - same miserable slow speed connection as every other cruise line. It has been a while so maybe changes have been made.

I would prefer to cut ties with all communications on a cruise, but having internet access is the only way we can cruise. Our business requires us to be online for a little while 2-3 times a day.

On our Princess Cruise we were both *giddy* with the speed, got our work done so fast I was able to email our dogs, and read updates from Bed & Biscuit. Someone help me here -- I do not know if being in the Grand Suite made a difference, and used the desktop computer provided.

The ironic part was, we had Free, Unlimited, internet on Princess.

It would seem that before the Intenet came about people would not have travelled if all these posts of absolutely needing Internet are taken seriously.

What did people do? They simply managed - much as they could do now; perhaps not as easily, but, with some exceptions, it would appear that the "necessity" of Internet connection is more self-imposed than real.

it would seem that before the intenet came about people would not have travelled if all these posts of absolutely needing internet are taken seriously.

What did people do? They simply managed - much as they could do now; perhaps not as easily, but, with some exceptions, it would appear that the "necessity" of internet connection is more self-imposed than real.

Like!

So True.

Traveled internationally & domestically for years. Work got done with reports completed. All without the internet - Horrors!

Still travel, for pleasure. DH and I both have businesses, but we work around the communications and don't plan our life around cell phones and internet.

Remember back in the "old days", when my Dad needed to be contacted on his ship. Called the operator and sent message via MACKAY radio.

It would seem that before the Intenet came about people would not have travelled if all these posts of absolutely needing Internet are taken seriously.

What did people do? They simply managed - much as they could do now; perhaps not as easily, but, with some exceptions, it would appear that the "necessity" of Internet connection is more self-imposed than real.

In 'those days', cruising was for the wealthy and privileged. They often had 'staffs' who could see to needs at home. There were radio rooms where slow communicatiton was possible but it was a very different world and very different sort of person was cruising.

The average working person with family responsibilies, small business owners and the like did not cruise,,,,,,, back then.

It is because of communication advancements folks of that sort are now able to leave their offices/business/families for short periods of time. Some are only able to travel because they can stay in touch.

It always amazes me when this subject comes up how those who wish to stay away from electronics while traveling have such negative comments about those who want or need to have internet/e-mail access. What does someone else care what others are doing with their vacation time? If they want to spend hours e-mails, so be it. Doesn't impact anyone but themselves and their travel companions. Doesn't impact other guests on the ship. Let them do what they wish without passing judgment IMO ESPECIALLY given you don't know 'their story'. You cannot know their communication needs.

Times change. Connectivity is part of life now. If you don't want to be connected, that's fine...but many people want or need to be.

you know I always wondered how they get high speed internet on many of the smaller islands. They don't have a cable connection. They use satellites too. that is how cable is delivered to most areas. Direct tv uses satellites to deliver gigabytes size data to tv's. Yes the base stations are fixed but the theory is the same. Not that I care that much but it seems to me that the cruise ships are using last generation equipment.

I'm sure a lot of it is just a business decision due to the cost of equipment. Someone had to take the plunge a few years ago and WMS was the company who decided to provide service to cruise ships. If I am not mistaken, they just plugged the cruise ships into what they have provided for years on container ships and fishing vessels. Internet usage is not high on those ships (they use it more for shipping info, weather and positioning), so you are probably correct-last generation equipment.

ONE small marine antenna on the Iridium system which provides stellar communications worldwide can run in excess of $20,000. Just from looking at the bankwidth specs, I would guess you would need 10 for a "normal" size cruise ship with "normal" usage and probably 20-25 for one of the behemoths. THAT is a chunk of change just for the antennas. Then all the other equipment that would have to go hand in hand to make a cruise ship system work as it does in our homes and offices. Can a company recoup that type of money in any semblance of timely fashion?

Even at the cost of internet on most cruise ships, the providing company only reaps a portion. And someone has to provide the "internet guru" on the ship in the computer center plus probably an engineering type who can fix problems with equipment. And if that person has to fly to the ship, the cost of that alone could be a lot of money. Could they recoup the money?

I am guessing not or some tech company with venture capital support would have already done it.

It is a selling point for the ships to provide service. Any cruise line that did not offer availabililty likely would suffer in sales of cabins. Most people today want to know it is available even if they have no definite plans to use the service.

Times change. Connectivity is part of life now. If you don't want to be connected, that's fine...but many people want or need to be.

Yes, connectivity is part of life - but that is largely because people want it to be - not particularly because it needs to be. I make no argument with other people's senses of urgency, but I do wonder about the degradation of our language. If everyone who simply "wants" something claims that he "needs" it, we lose the meaning of both words.

High speed shipboard Internet connectivity is, for most posters, a want and not a need. There are alternatives: either by going ashore or resorting to other, admittedly more expensive, alternatives in cases of real need. A similar example of "want" becoming "need" is when someone tries to argue that he must make a 9:30 AM flight upon debarkation because a later flight is "not an option".

Discussions on threads like this become meaningless if the meaning of terms used is lost.

It is a selling point for the ships to provide service. Any cruise line that did not offer availabililty likely would suffer in sales of cabins. Most people today want to know it is available even if they have no definite plans to use the service.

not so sure.. based on the about equal numbers who scoff at anyone who wants any sort of connectivity at all and the ones who claim that they absitively MUST have internet access.

the ones that want to disconnect or do not feel a burning desire to have it will still book. and I bet that overall there are more of those types than there of of the OP's type who must be connected 24/7

and really the definition of must to you will be different than mine.

Yes, connectivity is part of life - but that is largely because people want it to be - not particularly because it needs to be. I make no argument with other people's senses of urgency, but I do wonder about the degradation of our language. If everyone who simply "wants" something claims that he "needs" it, we lose the meaning of both words.

High speed shipboard Internet connectivity is, for most posters, a want and not a need. There are alternatives: either by going ashore or resorting to other, admittedly more expensive, alternatives in cases of real need. A similar example of "want" becoming "need" is when someone tries to argue that he must make a 9:30 AM flight upon debarkation because a later flight is "not an option".

Discussions on threads like this become meaningless if the meaning of terms used is lost.

When it comes down to needs, there are very few needed to sustain life. There are things that are considered needs now that weren't all that long ago...electricity, running water. "Needs" change too, with time. In 1875, electricity wasn't needed. In 1975, it was (in the developed world at least). So it's only fitting that the need for Internet changes too.

And if we want to get really picky, nobody "needs" a cruise, so this whole website is pointless ;)

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not so sure the numbers are about equal but truthfully it doesn't matter enough to me to bother looking.

My point is if all other cruise lines offer connectivity, the one that may refuse to likely would suffer loss of sales IMO

No one needs to agree. :) It is a moot point for ships that carry North Americans as main line, mass market ships all offer it but for times the system is 'down'.

When it comes down to needs, there are very few needed to sustain life. There are things that are considered needs now that weren't all that long ago...electricity, running water. "Needs" change too, with time. In 1875, electricity wasn't needed. In 1975, it was (in the developed world at least). So it's only fitting that the need for Internet changes too.

And if we want to get really picky, nobody "needs" a cruise, so this whole website is pointless ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Don't we all get to decide what is our personal 'need'?

You don't know what I need, or DH needs or your neighbor needs........ you cannot evaluate their 'need'.

Even if their need is only anxiety related, they get to judge the value of it.

We were on the Oasis - same miserable slow speed connection as every other cruise line. It has been a while so maybe changes have been made.

The high speed internet was installed on Oasis this summer. It was not available in 2011 when you cruised Oasis.

I'm no techy, but from what I understand, the high speed internet being installed on RCI ships works better the closer they get to the equator. Same may be true for the Caribbean islands, which could explain their good connections.

Archived