Royal Vs NCL

We have cruised both lines. RCI is our favorite but we happily choose NCL too.

-Entertainment and food choices are slightly better on RCI, in our opinion.

-RCI seems slightly more refined than NCL, both in cruisers and decor.

-Service is amazing on both with the huge exception of Pride of America that has all American staff (awful service).

-NCL is a bit cheaper and has some itins that appeal to us that RCI does not.

-Kids programs are great on both lines.

-Love the outdoor dining venues on both, but not all RCI ships have this.

-Love the ice shows on RCI.

Hope that helps...just our opinion, of course!

Lauri

We have cruised both lines. RCI is our favorite but we happily choose NCL too.

-Entertainment and food choices are slightly better on RCI, in our opinion.

-RCI seems slightly more refined than NCL, both in cruisers and decor.

-Service is amazing on both with the huge exception of Pride of America that has all American staff (awful service).

-NCL is a bit cheaper and has some itins that appeal to us that RCI does not.

-Kids programs are great on both lines.

-Love the outdoor dining venues on both, but not all RCI ships have this.

-Love the ice shows on RCI.

Hope that helps...just our opinion, of course!

Lauri

Yes that did help.

Thank You:)

I've only done NCL, about three years ago. It's like comparing Macys (RCC) and K-mart (NCL). Limited options in the dining room, and everything else seemed cheap or gaudy. Maybe they've changed but I'm not about to find out.

I agree. Selling those game pieces before a show is quite crass. And the worst service we have ever had ANYWHERE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Guest maddycat
I've only done NCL, about three years ago. It's like comparing Macys (RCC) and K-mart (NCL). Limited options in the dining room, and everything else seemed cheap or gaudy. Maybe they've changed but I'm not about to find out.

We sailed on NCL twice and will never sail with them again. We wouldn't even sail with NCL for free. The first cruise we thought that it might have just been that particular NCL ship. The service, food and entertainment were poor. We tried another NCL ship and found that NCL's product is just inferior. RCI is our favorite cruiseline.

Knots, did you post this on the NCL board too? It would be very interesting (and a great social experiment) to do so and then compare results. I bet you would see lots of NCL Yuck! here on the RCI board and Lots of NCL Awesome! on the NCL board!

Lauri

We sailed on the Epic last February. It was are first NCL cruise. We loved it. Food was very good. Thought it was a little better than RCI, but to be fair, we sailed Adventure last and the Oasis in 2010 so our memory could be faded. The service we had was wonderful. Hubby preferred the anytime dinning. The buffet was excellent with outside seating which was nice. The shows were very good and we had did the spa suite and loved the thermal spa area which we went to every day. I have not seen that on a RCI ship. It was different. NCL is not better but by no means worse. It was a wonderful change of pace. Liked O'Sheehan's a lot which is a place that is open 24 hours and has pub food and atmosphere and was right in the middle of everything. I would categorize the décor as more contemporary compared to RCI which is more glass. We would definitely cruise with them again. Our opinion only.

I have been on NCL Epic, RCCL Serenade O.T.S and Allure O.T.S.

I would say that the food on Epic are better than on both Serenade and Allure, the Blue man group are waaaaaaaay better than anything on Allure/Serenade the same goes for the brazilian resturants (Allure v.s Epic). The ships are GREAT and the difference between the lines are small, I feel that NCL have a little more relaxed attitude.

I love NCL. I've cruised them many times. Their service and employees are great. Far better employee customer service than RC I think. Their butlers and concierge service is top notch. As someone else suggested...ask on the NCL boards and you will get less biased opinions I'm sure. Mainly RC cheerleaders here.

I have a theory (no empirical evidence to back it up though), formulated through many hours of reading these boards.

The NCL experience on US sailings seems to get a lot of bad press, NCL in Europe seems to get a much more consistently good press. The reasons for this could be myriad. All I can add is that the European experiences I have had with NCL have been excellent.

I am doing a taster cruise with RCL soon so (hopefully) I can make a more informed comparison after that.

Really, the only way you can tell is to try both and to see which one 'floats your boat'.:D

..ask on the NCL boards and you will get less biased opinions I'm sure. Mainly RC cheerleaders here.

So, the people who frequent the NCL board are there because they hate NCL?? Of course, the people on RC like RC and the people on NCL like NCL. They are just as biased towards their favorite cruise line as the RC people are. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have a theory (no empirical evidence to back it up though), formulated through many hours of reading these boards.

The NCL experience on US sailings seems to get a lot of bad press, NCL in Europe seems to get a much more consistently good press. The reasons for this could be myriad. All I can add is that the European experiences I have had with NCL have been excellent.

I am doing a taster cruise with RCL soon so (hopefully) I can make a more informed comparison after that.

Really, the only way you can tell is to try both and to see which one 'floats your boat'.:D

Guess DW and I would be an exception to the theory Steve. We've done most lines with the exception of Disney & Princess. Took NCL in the Eastern Med in 2011 and would have to agree with the posting above that we would never do it again, even for free. As a matter of fact we said that exact same thing on the way home. The service was terrible. Dining staff was very slow and most public areas slow to be cleaned. Food choices very limited and on par with a lower level buffet sort of a meal. Trust me, we are anything but foodies. But it is funny that each and every line has their die hard fans and all others are far inferior. I'll just never understand the NCL diehards.

I said when we went on our NCL cruise that we would never go again but we always drive to our ports and since that limits our options, we might go on them again. It has nothing to do with the food or any of most other people's reasons.

We did not like the order in which they cleaned the rooms. It may just be that particular ship but all other lines that we have been on they always cleaned our cabin when we were at breakfast and at dinner. NCL went in order of where the cabin is located. It was very frustrating especially at night to come back after dinner and not have the room turned down yet. Some nights it was 9:30 or later when they came in. We usually eat dinner and walk around the ship a little and then come back to our cabin and watch TV or go to bed. (We are old.) We enjoy having our cabin ready when we come back from dinner. It may not sound like much to some people but it was very inconvenient for us. Another thing was the staff would come in our room without knocking and there was no reason for them to be there. They had already cleaned and turned down the room. That really bothered me. I heard that this happened in another cabin when a teenage girl was alone in the room. It was just rather weird. I would think that they would be required to knock before they entered the cabins and have a reason for coming in when they unlocked the door.

If we do go on them again, I hope that they have improved the way they do things. I complained and received a letter saying that they would investigate the matter.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

My family liked NCL and we booked another trip with them.

All my RC trips have been very similar or pretty much alike.

Who wants to do the same cruise over & over? Mix in something new once in a while.

This forum is not a good place to ask about other cruiselines because many of the people who frequent here have a blind loyalty to RC...

Emerald on RCCL, last two cruises on NCL, including July on POA.

Lines are far more similar than not. Big difference is NCL is all "My time dining", has more dining rooms, and far less formal in those dining rooms. (optional, very optional, formal night.)

I did not see any difference in service; even on the POA (American crew). Everyone on the POA was friendly and accommodating, at least to us! And NCL's butler service for suites is not to be believed; then again, the best cabin stewards *ever* have been on RCCL ships.

And your answers will vary: RCCL fans here, NCL fans on NCL Board. That's the way of the world.

happy cruising,

el henry

I looked long and hard at NCL and came to the conclusion that they nickle and dime you to death once aboard and they dedicate a LOT of space towards those nickle and dime amenities. Meaning that if you just want the "basic" you will be space and amenity limited. RCI, of course, offers for-pay options but they don't seem so pervasive and so much of the ship is not "off limits".

All of the people that rave about NCL seem to be the ones that never stop spending once they get on board. The ones that go for the "standard" vacation seem to say "never again". Sub-par dining, overly crowded pool areas, limited adult areas...unless you pay, pay, pay. If you are willing and able to pay for a premium experience you may enjoy NCL very much. But if you aren't prepared for the difference between what is offered and the premium setups you may be let down, whereas I have never been let down by the standard RCI experience.

As far as itineraries go, both lines have some interesting ones, so that is more to your personal preference.

I looked long and hard at NCL and came to the conclusion that they nickle and dime you to death once aboard and they dedicate a LOT of space towards those nickle and dime amenities. Meaning that if you just want the "basic" you will be space and amenity limited. RCI, of course, offers for-pay options but they don't seem so pervasive and so much of the ship is not "off limits".

All of the people that rave about NCL seem to be the ones that never stop spending once they get on board. The ones that go for the "standard" vacation seem to say "never again". Sub-par dining, overly crowded pool areas, limited adult areas...unless you pay, pay, pay. If you are willing and able to pay for a premium experience you may enjoy NCL very much. But if you aren't prepared for the difference between what is offered and the premium setups you may be let down, whereas I have never been let down by the standard RCI experience.

As far as itineraries go, both lines have some interesting ones, so that is more to your personal preference.

What type of things specifically do you pay extra for on NCL that you don't on RCI?

What type of things specifically do you pay extra for on NCL that you don't on RCI?

From my research it seemed like NCL designs their experience where the "base" is geared to push you into the pay services and RCI doesn't. Limited pool deck area, limited adult only areas, small main dining rooms with sub-par food; all geared to push you towards the higher charged specialty restaurants (and more of them compared to RCI) or to pay for expensive passes to other deck areas. It just doesn't seem appealing to me; like everything is 2nd class unless you want to pay for a 1st class experience, not a feeling I have ever gotten from RCI.

Gambees review does a fair job laying out the upcharge services on NCL

http://cruisewithgambee.com/breakaway-review/

I said when we went on our NCL cruise that we would never go again but we always drive to our ports and since that limits our options, we might go on them again. It has nothing to do with the food or any of most other people's reasons.

We did not like the order in which they cleaned the rooms. It may just be that particular ship but all other lines that we have been on they always cleaned our cabin when we were at breakfast and at dinner. NCL went in order of where the cabin is located. It was very frustrating especially at night to come back after dinner and not have the room turned down yet. Some nights it was 9:30 or later when they came in. We usually eat dinner and walk around the ship a little and then come back to our cabin and watch TV or go to bed. (We are old.) We enjoy having our cabin ready when we come back from dinner. It may not sound like much to some people but it was very inconvenient for us. Another thing was the staff would come in our room without knocking and there was no reason for them to be there. They had already cleaned and turned down the room. That really bothered me. I heard that this happened in another cabin when a teenage girl was alone in the room. It was just rather weird. I would think that they would be required to knock before they entered the cabins and have a reason for coming in when they unlocked the door.

If we do go on them again, I hope that they have improved the way they do things. I complained and received a letter saying that they would investigate the matter.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We always set the round turny thing by the door that says Do Not Disturb; Turn Down Cabin; etc.. and never had the problem you describe.

Archived