Swim cap - am I nuts?

http://www.swimoutlet.com/PhotoGallery_New_Video.asp?strHideColors=&s_Video=&s_Image=&s_Source=&ColorId=0&PhotoNumber=&ShowDesc=N&ProductCode=15110&PhotoURL=

Does anyone wear a swim cap in the chlorinated water of the pools? I dont mean the kind swim team competitors wear, but one of the retro ones you can buy online ( I hope the link works). Do you or would you ever wear one for the sake of your hair or do you think they're the worst things ever?

I seem to remember that as a kid they were pretty much required in public pools but it's been ages since I've seen one being used for recreational swimming, but I'm thinking of getting one. Would you?

http://www.swimoutlet.com/PhotoGallery_New_Video.asp?strHideColors=&s_Video=&s_Image=&s_Source=&ColorId=0&PhotoNumber=&ShowDesc=N&ProductCode=15110&PhotoURL=

Does anyone wear a swim cap in the chlorinated water of the pools? I dont mean the kind swim team competitors wear, but one of the retro ones you can buy online ( I hope the link works). Do you or would you ever wear one for the sake of your hair or do you think they're the worst things ever?

I seem to remember that as a kid they were pretty much required in public pools but it's been ages since I've seen one being used for recreational swimming, but I'm thinking of getting one. Would you?

Nope, they never kept my hair dry waaaaaay back when and talk about hat hair?:eek::D

Oh, my! That picture sure brought back memories.

Last two cruises the pools were so small that I couldn't actually swim so my hair did not get wet. I would not bother with a swim cap.

I'm afraid it would be one of those extra pieces of stuff that sounds good, yet never gets used. For me, I've always found the pool water to be so cold I can never get in deeper than my knees. Then, the fact there are so many kids splashing around in the pool, no thanks.

If your ship has an adults only pool that is inside, you may be able to actually swim. If you're worried about chlorine in your hair, get your hair wet with clear water before swimming. Your hair can only absorb so much water and if it's wet already, not as much chlorine soaks in. Rinse out your hair the moment you get out of the pool.

As I recall from many years back, a swim cap would only keep your hair dry if it was so tight it made the face puff out, not very comfortable. Then you had a red line around your forehead for the rest of the day.

I cannot recall ever seeing one being worn on a cruise ship.

I'm afraid it would be one of those extra pieces of stuff that sounds good, yet never gets used. For me, I've always found the pool water to be so cold I can never get in deeper than my knees. Then, the fact there are so many kids splashing around in the pool, no thanks.

This is a very good reason to wear a pretty swim cap -- to protect the hair from splashes.

As I recall from many years back, a swim cap would only keep your hair dry if it was so tight it made the face puff out, not very comfortable. Then you had a red line around your forehead for the rest of the day.

Since the OP is not intending to do swim racing or scuba diving, I don't think a cap so tight as to produce a red mark on the face is necessary.

I cannot recall ever seeing one being worn on a cruise ship.

OP can be the first! She can set a trend. And if she wears an Esther Williams style swimsuit, she will have the total look! :)

Here are some photos of gals in a swim caps -- and they look like they are having loads of fun!

What's not to love?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQVT0q8XwG5eAf9CEEI4lxN1n0h6MYrR86k7x-FsptYaYUhGOIZwimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrRuSJZO_1JCn4oBdHPBXuyY4S64tLUCqiL2xCQH9nzIuKrFVTxgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQGgl8Vz_kO_9uQMdpAnLW0FpijhZ61OHOzWOj-X46CpN605Wu

Of course they look like they're having fun, it's an ad to make you want to buy one. Would they have an ad with them looking glum?;)

Maybe protect from splashes but the downside, like I

said, is horrible hat hair.

I remember when we had to wear those at the country club pool. Gross. They were hot, uncomfortable, didn't keep your hair dry, and left an ugly red ring on your forehead no matter how large they were. Why anyone would subject themselves to one of those torture devices is beyond me.

I agree 100% with iheartbda. The MODELS wearing those are being paid to look like they are loving wearing them.

Thank you, good points - all. Especially the one about getting your hair wet to begin with. And, as a woman of a certain age, I get the reference to the old-style Hollywood glamour too, and i think i could get away with it. But if they don't really keep your hair dry there's not much point. Thanks for the fashionista input! Off to the pool...

Looking at those pictures brought back memories of being a child and having to wear one of those things and being angry because girls had to wear them and boys didn't. :( I hated them!!

I have never seen one worn on a cruise, so if you do wear one you will definitely be in a minority. But if you want to wear one you should go ahead and do it.

I used to live in an area where they were required in all public pools. This was surprisingly enforced too, if you did not have a cap you could not go in the poll and they were available for purchase at every public pool. As someone who on occasion swims crazy laps (like 5-6 hours in the pool), I think it is nicer when people wear them, if only for hygienic reasons. Have you ever had some random hair tangled in your fingers mid-stroke? Super ewww!

I used to live in an area where they were required in all public pools. This was surprisingly enforced too, if you did not have a cap you could not go in the poll and they were available for purchase at every public pool. As someone who on occasion swims crazy laps (like 5-6 hours in the pool), I think it is nicer when people wear them, if only for hygienic reasons. Have you ever had some random hair tangled in your fingers mid-stroke? Super ewww!

What always bugged me was that men weren't required to wear them, even if they had hair longer than mine. (Many do) I do agree that people with hair long enough to pull into a ponytail should do so--regardless of gender.

So you did get the joke? (I can't tell...)

Joke by you?:confused: I really don't think you were joking.

You gave no indication it was with no :),;),or :D. From the rest of your posts, you seemd to love them......"good reason to wear a pretty swim cap, wear an Esther Williams type suit for the total look and set a trend, cute, very glamorous, Hollywood throwback ........"

I never understood why people get so grossed out over someone else's hair. Most people keep their hair clean.

It's not pleasant ending up with anyone's hair tangled in your fingers--even your own. I am blessed to have a private pool for swimming. It belongs to neighbors who encourage me to use it--they live elsewhere and haven't been in the house for going on two years. No one--and I mean no one--else uses that pool. It's really spoiled me. :)

Archived