on our own in St. Maartan

back2tampa

Our last time in St. Martin (2008), we booked in advance with Bernard, since we'd read glowing recommendations here on CC. He met us and told us he had no room and had us take "his friend's" tour instead, but we weren't thrilled with the guide (who had far too high an opinion of himself and worked that into every single thing he said to us!). Still, it was an ok tour, but I recommend that if you book with Bernard, make sure you get his promise that HE will be your guide!

Has anyone gone on their own and booked off of the ship in St. Maarten? We has been looking at Bernards tours. Looking for something to do in St Maarten for my wife, 16y daughter and myself.

1. Bernard's tour is very good. I had him for the guide. He will take you to most places including Marigot, the French area, Orient beach and Maho Beach where you can see planes landing REALLY upclose. If it is your first time there, I would suggest this tour.

2. Take the water taxi down town and go to Phillipsburg which has the beach and shopping.

3. Little Bay Beach for some beach time, snorkelling, relaxation. Calm water.

4. Dawn Beach. Little further, but a nice beach. Water is a bit rough at times.

Edited by Arzeena

We rent a car and tour the island.... usually a hot lap and end up in Moho beach (Airport beach). Can't get too lost afterall it's an Island... The kids (17 & 15) get a charge out of the jets landing and the beach is nice with a bar at one end that has the airtraffic control on the house radio.

Has anyone gone on their own and booked off of the ship in St. Maarten? We has been looking at Bernards tours. Looking for something to do in St Maarten for my wife, 16y daughter and myself.

For me, St Maarten is one of those places I could visit on every cruise. We get off the ship, jump on the water taxi and head to town, one fee lets you ride back and forth all day. You can lie on the beach all day if you like but if you get tired of that, just jump up and the main street is right behind you. Wander around town, hit the Belgian Chocolate Shop, haggle over some cheap booze, if you smoke, buy the cheapest cigs anywhere and enjoy a smoke on your balcony :D, and head back to beach. Lunch time, we jump the water taxi and head back to the ship for a bite. Right afterwards we grab some fresh towels and head back to town on the water taxi. Great way to spend a day. Here's a few shots of our last trip there - all this is within a 5 minute water taxi ride from the ship:

DSC_2974.jpg

DSC_2977.jpg

DSC_2979.jpg

DSC_2985.jpg

DSC_2997.jpg

1. Bernard's tour is very good. I had him for the guide. He will take you to most places including Marigot, the French area, Orient beach and Maho Beach where you can see planes landing REALLY upclose. If it is your first time there, I would suggest this tour.[/B]

2. Take the water taxi down town and go to Phillipsburg which has the beach and shopping.

3. Little Bay Beach for some beach time, snorkelling, relaxation. Calm water.

4. Dawn Beach. Little further, but a nice beach. Water is a bit rough at times.

You can do this on your own for $8 pp each way via cabs that are waiting adjacent to the shopping area. They typically are 8 person vans and this is a regular run for them. There are also cabs waiting next to the Sunset Grill for the return trip. No need to book a tour to do this.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We just did St Martin on our own a couple of weeks ago. We took the water taxi downtown and did a little shopping. Didn't really get anything but at least walked around. We then grabbed a local bus for $2 pp, really a passenger van, and went to Maho Beach to see the planes come in. Unfortunately, it started raining really heavy just as we got to the beach. It was short lived but we were soaked to the skin. We got some great pictures though. I sat at the Sunset Beach bar with a cold drink and took pictures as my DH used his DSLR to take over 250 pictures in 2 hours.:eek: We then took a cab back to the port and did some shopping there.

Here is one of my pictures from my little point and shoot. Who needs an expensive camera.;):D

050.jpg.908c115397200caf4b67613338f764a1.jpg

We've used Bernards tours and got someone else. I wish I could remember his name but he was very good. Bernard runs lots of different tours. I'd definitely call him again! Now a days, we just hop in a cab and go over to Maho beach, rent a couple chairs, an umbrella and get a bucket of beer. It's much more relaxing!

I went to the taxi area and took the mountaintop tour and it was great. $45pp if my memory is correct.

Found a photo of the taxi rates posted by CC member srice

9355255306_cac373e1e3_h.jpg

Edited by FLACRUISER99

You can do this on your own for $8 pp each way via cabs that are waiting adjacent to the shopping area. They typically are 8 person vans and this is a regular run for them. There are also cabs waiting next to the Sunset Grill for the return trip. No need to book a tour to do this.

True, but the cabs for $8 pp is for a run somewhere specific in this case I think you are talking about Maho. The tour with Bernard's is a organized "TOUR" with various stops in different places including the places that the person mentioned that you are quoting with argubly the best tour guides on the island. And they provide all you can drink drinks (Rum Punch, soda, water, beer) during the whole tour.

We always rent a car and cruise the island. It is very easy to naviagate. It's really one big loop. We hit the French side and then the Dutch side. Their are a few car rental places right at the pier. Hertz is one, I forget who else is there.

We too have done that several times to Orient Beach and around the island. Very easy island to drive - just have to watch out for the two traffic lights! :D Also have cabbed it to Maho as mentioned earlier.

St Martin is easy on your own. We have even just hired a cab and drove around to some of the sites. Cab to beaches. Walk in to town for the best shopping in the Caribbean.

Next time we have booked Captain Alan's 3 island snorkel tour.

We have also done the more expensive tours off the ship like the Americas cup and a Jeep tour of both sides of the island.

We love St. martin!

We used Bernard's for transportation to go to Pinel Island. The day there was magnificent. Leaving Pinel Bernard met up with our tour and gave a narrated tour back to the ship. It is not one of his scheduled tours. It was a private tour someone from of our roll call put together.

This December we are booked to do Bernard's tour #2 that does Marigot, Orient Beach, and Maho Beach. Just got our confirmation on Monday. It is his company but he has many vehicles and other tour guides working for him. No one is guaranteed that you will get Bernard. But he has an excellent reputation and I am confident we will have a great day. You need to make reservations for a tour before you get to the island.

It depends what you want to do that day. Many times we just hop on the water taxi and do what some other posters stated and stay on the Dutch side. One more recommendation. Go to the Guavaberry Shop on Front ST. They have delicious Guavaberry Coladas and sell a great barbecue sauce and liquors.

Enjoy St. Maarten. It is one of our favorite stops.

We just did St Martin on our own a couple of weeks ago. We took the water taxi downtown and did a little shopping. Didn't really get anything but at least walked around. We then grabbed a local bus for $2 pp, really a passenger van, and went to Maho Beach to see the planes come in.

When I visited a few months back I too took the local "bus" (actually a van) for a couple of bucks and watched the planes land at Maho. It is right on the beach. Not for everyone but it allowed me to get a flavor of public transit and watch some of the locals get about. Glad I checked out... and yeah the plans actually do land overhead!