World Voyage with a 5-year Old

CI66774

I've never cruised HAL before but I've looked at several different cruise lines that have "world" cruises. There are a couple world segments on HAL that interest me. I understand most of these ships don't have a kid's club. I understand that due to the length of the cruises and the fact most paxs are adults. Does anyone have any knowledge of the kid club on the Amsterdam? I don't want to debate the merits of taking a child, etc., but would like to know if Club Hal would keep a 5-year old busy for a few hours every day? Thanks for your responses.:)

In order to be perfectly clear about it, I would suggest you verify with Ships Services if they will have Club HAL Counselor on board for World Cruise. Seeing there are so few children, it isn't safe to assume, IMO

800-541-1576

Just off of the Amsterdam on Sept 20th had 3 kids aged 12, 10, and 8 in Club Hal. All 3 had a great time there, spending at least 4 hours a day in Club Hal.

There were 7 regular attendees, besides my three there were 2 4 year olds a 6 year old and a 9 year old.

Morning hours were 9 - 11:30, afternoon 1 - 4 & evenings 7 - 10 pm.

Each day has a schedule that will be sent to your cabin the night before. the morning and afternoon schedules were broken down into half hour blocks and activities included art time, games, musical chairs, and Wii games as well as ice cream pigouts and a cooking games class at the culinary center.

The evenings were themed like a movie night, Camp Amsterdam and the last night was a pajama party with a pillow fight.

Will your 5 year old like Club Hal depends a lot on what your child likes to do and also what any other child attending likes to do. If they like colouring and playing games there is a good chance they will like it. This was our second cruise with HA and before the first cruise we talked up Club Hal as a fun time before we left and that eliminated some of the hesitations the kids had going in. Club Hal worked for our kids.

As per if there will be Club Hal if you go on parts of the world tour, we talked to one of the wonderful workers and she said for the 74 day tour that started yesterday there was one teen so HA would have the teen program available during the the 74 days. So even if there is only one kid they will have the program available.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Just off of the Amsterdam on Sept 20th had 3 kids aged 12, 10, and 8 in Club Hal. All 3 had a great time there, spending at least 4 hours a day in Club Hal.

There were 7 regular attendees, besides my three there were 2 4 year olds a 6 year old and a 9 year old.

Each day has a schedule that will be sent to your cabin the night before. the morning and afternoon schedules were broken down into half hour blocks and activities included art time, games, musical chairs, and Wii games as well as ice cream pigouts and a cooking games class at the culinary center.

The evenings were themed like a movie night, Camp Amsterdam and the last night was a pajama party with a pillow fight.

Will your 5 year old like Club Hal depends a lot on what your child likes to do and also what any other child attending likes to do. If they like colouring and playing games there is a good chance they will like it. This was our second cruise with HA and before the first cruise we talked up Club Hal as a fun time before we left and that eliminated some of the hesitations the kids had going in. Club Hal worked for our kids.

As per if there will be Club Hal if you go on parts of the world tour, we talked to one of the wonderful workers and she said for the 74 day tour that started yesterday there was one teen so HA would have the teen program available during the the 74 days. So even if there is only one kid they will have the program available.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Interesting.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary - wonderful info. Thank you! I'm a single parent so little girl goes everywhere I go. We're doing some one month journeys next year on Princess (Baltics, British Isles, Iceland - both transatlantic), so she'll be used to the longer voyages. I'm glad your kids had a great time!

Gary - wonderful info. Thank you! I'm a single parent so little girl goes everywhere I go. We're doing some one month journeys next year on Princess (Baltics, British Isles, Iceland - both transatlantic), so she'll be used to the longer voyages. I'm glad your kids had a great time!

I hope it's okay to say, lucky little lady. She is getting to see more before age 6 than most of us do. And you get to share it together. Have a great trip.

I hope it's okay to say, lucky little lady. She is getting to see more before age 6 than most of us do. And you get to share it together. Have a great trip.

Very sweet of you to say. Life is short and I want her (and I) to experience as many different cultures as possible. We've already cruised a fair amount and she has become a seasoned little traveler. Thank you all for your responses!

We started taking DD on cruises when she was 5, and now more then 25 years later she still remembers her first (on the TSS Fairwind) and every other cruise. However, we have done a few longer HA cruises (but not the World Cruise) and there have never been any young children on any of our longer cruises (all on the Prinsendam). We do think a 5 year old would end-up with many new "Aunts and Uncles" but one should be prepared for the strong possibility that the child will be the only child on the cruise. Excursions might prove to be the major issue with a child that age.

Hank

We started taking DD on cruises when she was 5, and now more then 25 years later she still remembers her first (on the TSS Fairwind) and every other cruise. However, we have done a few longer HA cruises (but not the World Cruise) and there have never been any young children on any of our longer cruises (all on the Prinsendam). We do think a 5 year old would end-up with many new "Aunts and Uncles" but one should be prepared for the strong possibility that the child will be the only child on the cruise. Excursions might prove to be the major issue with a child that age.

Hank

Probably wouldn't do a full world cruise - maybe just a month segment. Mom and kid love spending time together and going on appropriate excursions. I suppose our 26 day transatlantic/Baltics cruise next year on the Royal Princess will be a good predictor of whether I would entertain anything longer. :)

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for the information.

Off the Prinsendam three months ago which 'officially' does not have a Club HAL. Nevertheless they do have trained counselors on board. There were two small children on our cruise of 31 days and they were a joy:D We saw them with the counselors on several occasions and they were having a great time:)

I was VERY impressed. They were even invited to the Captain's VIP luncheon:D

The counselors did a fantastic job and the children were occupied, having fun and very well behaved. Lots of fuss over them needless to say:D

If the Prinsendam is prepared - pretty sure your ship will be too. Definitely call to double check but your little one is in for one fantastic time!

Edited by kazu

Off the Prinsendam three months ago which 'officially' does not have a Club HAL. Nevertheless they do have trained counselors on board. There were two small children on our cruise of 31 days and they were a joy:D We saw them with the counselors on several occasions and they were having a great time:)

The counselors did a fantastic job and the children were occupied, having fun and very well behaved. Lots of fuss over them needless to say:D

If the Prinsendam is prepared - pretty sure your ship will be too. Definitely call to double check but your little one is in for one fantastic time!

Was that the Stuyvestant Room? That's where they did it on my cruise. I got off early to meet the Queen Mary II and despite a few works of art left on the walls the room was ready for me to meet with UK immigration there before getting off.

Roy

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for the "inside" info Gary. That would be my teen, we are boarding the Asian/pacific cruise tomorrow. We were curious if there would be any other teens on board, as well as if they would provide any teen activities just for him. Great to know they are not only expecting him, but will provide some programs as well.

CI6674, as for taking your child, I'm of the same thinking as you. Life is short, enjoy your travels and the gift of experiencing expanded cultures that you'll give your daughter.

Edited by TSTSmom

Was that the Stuyvestant Room? That's where they did it on my cruise. I got off early to meet the Queen Mary II and despite a few works of art left on the walls the room was ready for me to meet with UK immigration there before getting off.

Roy

Yes, technically that is the room they use. On our cruise, the counsellors rarely used it. They said that having the children in the room all the time was boring for them. they were out and about - in the Ocean Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Lido, etc. So, the Stuyvesant Room was free for any necessary activities and the children had fun. Mind you, these were really well behaved children. The parents were very proactive too and would arrive and different times chatting with the little ones and the counsellor.

They were a joy to have on our cruise. Everyone loved them

Our recent and first Prinsendam cruise was a few weeks ago. We loved the ship, crew and passengers! I will say the youngest people we saw were in their 30's.

I remember reading a World Cruise blog a couple of years ago and there was a child of 8-9 I think. Her parents even took along a tutor for her. I don't know the particulars but perhaps if you go to the roll call for this years WC and ask about it maybe someone could put you in touch with that family. That way you could correspond with a family that has in fact done this with a child. Have fun. Lucky little girl.

Edited by candbgirl

I remember reading a World Cruise blog a couple of years ago and there was a child of 8-9 I think. Her parents even took along a tutor for her. I don't know the particulars but perhaps if you go to the roll call for this years WC and ask about it maybe someone could put you in touch with that family. That way you could correspond with a family that has in fact done this with a child. Have fun. Lucky little girl.

I was wondering about school but know so many children are home schooled these days I imagine that is an option.

It would be good, but not likely, if there were at least a few children with which the little girl could socialize. She must

miss being with children her age.

Edited by sail7seas

Our recent and first Prinsendam cruise was a few weeks ago. We loved the ship, crew and passengers! I will say the youngest people we saw were in their 30's.

Glad you liked the ship Kirk - yes, children on this ship are more of a rarity BUT I think it speaks even more highly of the staff if they are ready for children when they do come aboard:D

Glad you liked the ship Kirk - yes, children on this ship are more of a rarity BUT I think it speaks even more highly of the staff if they are ready for children when they do come aboard:D

:) It isn't as though the children arriving unexpectedly.

The ship certainly has the manifest and communications from Seattle.

They have all the advance notice they need to prepare for the care and entertainment of any children who are booked. It's in their job description. ;)

Thanks for the "inside" info Gary. That would be my teen, we are boarding the Asian/pacific cruise tomorrow. We were curious if there would be any other teens on board, as well as if they would provide any teen activities just for him. Great to know they are not only expecting him, but will provide some programs as well.

CI6674, as for taking your child, I'm of the same thinking as you. Life is short, enjoy your travels and the gift of experiencing expanded cultures that you'll give your daughter.

I think it's generous of HAL to provide Club HAL for just one child and great your teen is going on this voyage. I'm just wondering how much fun any planned activities or programs would be for just one teen by himself with the counselor(s). I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful, but not so sure mine would have agreed to go to planned kid/teen activities when he would be the only one there.