Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

Hilariously enough, I am on hold with enhancements right now and the guy does NOT know! He said his information is ONLY about buying... not upgrading the 123 promo package. I'll let you know the final outcome.

Now THIS is what drives me NUTS! :eek:

When I first called into Captain's Club, the representative didn't know anything about the increase in prices. I told him that someone FROM CELEBRITY started this whole firestorm by calling, from their Celebrity Experience Department (or something like that), to someone who was sailing soon... and that person posted the information.

So, I got put on hold while he went to speak with a supervisor and ended up coming back to me with a statement that he absolutely hated that he had to learn about changes from someone calling in. I agree! That is just not the way that change should be implemented.

Good luck on your phone call.

I think the communication breakdown here could actually be in the phrasing of the question. The price difference between the two is the same if you compare the prices in a similar fashion: the price difference between buying the Classic vs the Premium on LAND is $10 + 15% gratuity: the price difference between buying the Classic vs the Premium ON BOARD is $10 + 15% gratuity.

However, the price difference between buying the Classic on LAND and upgrading to the Premium ON BOARD is $15 + 15% gratuity.

It's been stated over and over and over again that Celebrity has decided on a price change and that they've implemented the price change. I just don't think you can fight this issue. Not saying that you might get "lucky," and end up hearing what you want to hear, but I'm not sure that hearing what you want to hear and actually being able to have that happen... I'm not sure that will be the same thing.

Anyone who isn't sailing soon, I don't think there's a mad rush to upgrade your beverage package (unless you believe as someone else mentioned that the prices could increase for LAND purchases). You could wait closer to your final payment date and upgrade the package at that time and effectively include the upgraded cost as a (close to, at least) part of your final payment.

This is exactly what I have said in a previous post. The difference is only if purchasing online and then upgrading on board.

BUT, it seems that the CelebrityCruise person says that it is applying to the 1,2,3 Promo as well.

I just got off the phone with the Enhancement Dept and the guy is completely confused over the issue. He said that each ship is different and he would have to email my ship and get back with me. I told him that the only thing that some of my friends are wondering is that they have OBC they would really prefer to use on something like this over upgrading in advance. Not only that, everyone should really be on the same page with this policy because I've talked to 4 people now, and no one seems to think you have to upgrade ahead of time.

ALSO... the Enhancement Dept guy said that only ONE person in the cabin has to upgrade. You do not need to upgrade both people in a cabin if you do so prior to boarding or onboard.

He said the only information that any of them have been given is the price difference between online ordering and purchasing onboard. He said no one has any information beyond that.

If you have a promotion that is giving you a free Classic Beverage package we encourage you to upgrade prior to your sailing as you will pay the increased difference on board. If you purchase beforehand, it will come out to $10 per person plus a 15% gratuity. If you upgrade on board, this comes to $15 per person plus a 15% gratuity.

Personally I'd listen to this person. If they are the official spokesperson for Celebrity on Cruise Critic then I'm pretty sure they aren't just making stuff up, or guessing. I think they would have discussed this with the proper departments that would have the authority to set or determine policy before posting an answer here.

Do what you want but if I was worried about the upgrade I'd do it before hand, whether I got the 123 or not. Unless of course you have enough OBC to not worry about the $5 extra pp per day.

Andy

I have spoken with our TA today. She contacted Celebrity UK this morning and was told that they couldn't do the upgrade before the cruise. They did say that the UK upgrade price was $12 per head per day, which was what I was quoted in February. Quite how they get $12 is beyond me. They don't seem to know much about this rise and I am currently waiting for a response from one of the managers via the TA.

Gordon

Gordon

We are on the same Eclipse sailing and I am also from the UK, I upgraded this morning by going through to enhancements. I have however booked direct with Celebrity.

Will see you on board soon.

Mike and Amanda

Not sure what department I actually called (other than a Celebrity line) as I dialed 800/556-8209 as listed in an email, for my 11/16 Eclipse 14 day from Ft Lauderdale, indicated for booking accoutrements . I requested to upgrade myself only (not hubby)from Classic on a 123 promo to Premium package. I was transferred to another department and $161 on AMEX and 3 minutes later I had 1 of 2 passengers upgraded to Premium package. There was never an indication that both passengers in cabin needed to upgrade and they were most helpful in asking if they could book any additional specialty restaurants, spa, ect reservations for me and gave me a direct phone number to call back.

It is so easy for many of us to assume Celebrity is trying to "ruin" our cruise/vacation from work or retirement but make a call please and see if you can solve the issue yourself rather than assuming that X is out to get you - it may cause much less stress. And yes, after my call I do believe it may cost more to upgrade onboard rather than prior to boarding. Does that make sense to me - No but I only can speak from a marketing standpoint of a manufacturing company with way smaller revenue than X... We can only guess how many will upgrade to Premium prior as compared to being content with Classic onboard but a couple drinks and maybe many will be happy to sign check to upgrade at almost any price. I can assure you that on Solstice 6/14/2013 I know of pax who upgraded at a B/T upgrade suggestion... Don't assume it was me or husband - we signed every check unlike the other 15 in our group who had Classic 123 and were quite content.

Nevertheless - Relax and enjoy your vacation when you board your ship for a vacation at sea and make memories that will last a lifetime -some not perfect but most will be enjoyable :o) If you like Bombay or a better wine and you have the 123 Promo it is essentially the equivalent of 1.5 "house" cocktail in most any city in the USA.

Don't think I will use them so does anyone want my coupons if we have too many Elites on 11/16 Eclipse??? This is a rhetorical question so before you get on the pulpit to move this thread elsewhere, I have no idea if they can be used by anyone else but with all the 123 Bev packages it pretty much makes Elite HH a not issue in my opinion although I do love the Sky Lounge on S Class.

Here is some more info---- regarding refunds. Although my cruise is not until February and final payment is due end of December, I decided to upgrade now for the extra $11.50 per day through my TA. I also requested that he confirm the refund policy for this upgrade with Celebrity before actually processing the payment to my credit card in the off chance I had to cancel the cruise. Celebrity told him the paid upgrade is refundable until 7 days before the cruise sail date if you have to cancel or change your mind about the upgrade. Pat

Upgraded today, yay. Spoke to a lovely lady in Enhancements Dept, deal done in 2 minutes. I post the phone number again for UK cruisers:

0844 4936207 then option 2.

Managed to get our upgrade sorted. The email from RCCL said they had finally been given permission from Miami to do these upgrades pre cruise.

I did have to hold for 20 minutes to get through

Gordon

Just did our upgrade in 4-5 minutes from dial in to thanks for callin Celebrity.

Here is the number we used;

Enjoy the value and convenience of pre-purchasing your Beverage Package before you cruise.

For assistance with beverage packages call 1-800-722-5941, option 2

Edited by wallie5446

This is not correct.

Upgrading pre-cruise is $10 + 15% service charge = $11.50 per person per day.

If done on the ship, it will be an additional $5. So, $15 + 15% service charge = $17.25 per person per day.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Got crossed on the pdf flyer and was reading the wrong info... :o

This is not correct.

Upgrading pre-cruise is $10 + 15% service charge = $11.50 per person per day.

If done on the ship, it will be an additional $5. So, $15 + 15% service charge = $17.25 per person per day.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Actually, it is correct. Previously it cost 11.50 per day to upgrade on the ship. Now it cost $17.25 to upgrade on the ship. A $5.75 increase in cost over the 11.50 -- 50% increase!

Hi! I must say that I am surprised to read some comments on this subject. It is almost as if some people are really happy to upgrade and maybe some will do it even though they might have been really happy with the classic package. It is almost something like rushing to pay more and the sooner the better in order to avoid a new future increase!

Instead of rushing to pay more, Celebrity cruisers should probably keep their classic package and start being very relectant to upgrade, as otherwise Celebrity will have very good reasons to conclude that there is still room for other increases. The only question the CEO will ask at the next meeting of the senior staff members and officers might very well be: in which area can there be a new "slight" increase cruisers will be rushing to pay as soon as it will be announced? Bonuses might even be given for the better suggestion....

Actually, it is correct. Previously it cost 11.50 per day to upgrade on the ship. Now it cost $17.25 to upgrade on the ship. A $5.75 increase in cost over the 11.50 -- 50% increase!

That is your choice to pay more if you want to.

Just called Celebrity and upgraded my drinks package (mine only, not DH's). It was no problem at all to do just one package and all handled within a few minutes. The CSR was very helpful and most polite.

I can't fault Celebrity for raising some prices now and again as a cruise is still a most reasonable vacation $ for $. When you consider your lodging, your meals, your entertainment is all included, where else are you going to go and get the same bang for your buck? The daily per diem is extremely low considering what they deliver. The nickel and diming is where they actually make a profit, and no profit no cruise line yes?

Upgraded today, yay. Spoke to a lovely lady in Enhancements Dept, deal done in 2 minutes. I post the phone number again for UK cruisers:

0844 4936207 then option 2.

You're lucky. I tried today and was told that as we hadn't bought the package we couldn't upgrade it until we were on the ship. She said that it would confuse the booking (?) as there wasn't any money allocated to our package as it was the promo, so we couldn't add any money to the booking.:confused:

You're lucky. I tried today and was told that as we hadn't bought the package we couldn't upgrade it until we were on the ship. She said that it would confuse the booking (?) as there wasn't any money allocated to our package as it was the promo, so we couldn't add any money to the booking.:confused:

I'd call again and see what a different sales operator says. We got the classic on the promo and had no issues calling in and upgrading over the phone.