Shocked

yorkshire1975

We cruise regularly with family. My Grandson went on his first cruise at 3 and he's now 19. We've taken a friend with him a few times, but the last two cruises have been to the Med so it's been family only. We are going again in June and we asked him if he wanted to go. When we told him we would be seeing Pompeii, he was ready to go. He's been able to see ancient ruins in at least 3 countries, swim with dolphins, go on a whale watch, see and climb volcanoes in 3 countries, rain forests, mountain tops, scuba and snorkel in some of the best places on earth, meet some incredible people, try different foods from different cultures, seen some of the greatest works of art, wonders of the world and share the experience with his family. He's in college and could decide to skip the trip, but he has said that this is a chance to see things he won't be able to afford to do on his own for many years and he's grateful for the opportunities. I don't think he will ever lose his love of travel and it all started on a cruise ship.

I am not shocked by this. Some people are very private and feel like their neighbors, co-workers and/or family members just doesn't need to know their every move.

I have a cousin who use to live in an apartment in a very large city and didn't even know her neighbors. She worked at home and didn't have a boss to answer to so when she wanted to leave for a week or two she stopped her mail and took off. Its not that she didn't want to admit she was cruising she just felt that it was no one's business.

As for my sister and I, our friends and family run the minute one of us mentions booking a cruise because they know that once we get on this subject we will beat it to death.

What is even more amazing (at least to moi) is that about 60% of Americans do not even have a passport.

Hank

curious why that is amazing to you. My family got passports for our cruise but would not use them otherwise. I know very few people with passports. Very uncommon where I live.

curious why that is amazing to you. My family got passports for our cruise but would not use them otherwise. I know very few people with passports. Very uncommon where I live.

It's not hard to get a passport. And a passport is an excellent proof of identification.

You really never know when a passport might be needed. I think everyone should have one, but I know many won't agree with this. My DS has traveled extensively in Europe and Asia since he was 14. My passport is ready and waiting should he need help.

During our many moves, we have lived near both the Mexican and Canadian borders and always glad we had passports. Once we were on the move and drove into Canada from Vermont. When we returned the customs agent said "You have Massachusetts plates and Texas licenses, do you have any other identification?" Out came the passports and we were on our way. I think the agent was being a little fussy with us.

Here in Canada it's better to have a passport, even for domestic (within the country flights).You'd probably be allowed on a flight from Toronto to Ottawa without a passport, but guaranteed it would be more trouble than just showing your passport. And we Canadians can't even think of traveling to the US without a passport - not gonna get in.

I wouldn't actually feel safe traveling outside Canada without a passport. In a foreign country, my passport is my lifeline to my country's embassies. If I get injured, robbed, arrested or accused in another country, my passport entitles me to help, support and representation from my embassy. Honestly, I wouldn't travel without it.

• 1 month later...
Here in Canada it's better to have a passport, even for domestic (within the country flights).You'd probably be allowed on a flight from Toronto to Ottawa without a passport, but guaranteed it would be more trouble than just showing your passport. And we Canadians can't even think of traveling to the US without a passport - not gonna get in.

I wouldn't actually feel safe traveling outside Canada without a passport. In a foreign country, my passport is my lifeline to my country's embassies. If I get injured, robbed, arrested or accused in another country, my passport entitles me to help, support and representation from my embassy. Honestly, I wouldn't travel without it.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you would have trouble taking a Canadian domestic flight without your passport? As far as traveling to other countries, it sounds like your passport requirements are just about the same as everyone else.

I live in a small town where everyone knows each other....I hear that all the time. How can you afford to cruise all the time??? Why do you cruise so much???

My answer to them....WHY NOT :p A cruise is the ultimate vacation and its only 14 days until we leave for our next cruise...a back-to-back

I wished I could talk about my cruises at work. But I can't. All three of the ladies in my department are single or in single income homes and can not afford to cruise. Actually, they could afford it if they did like me and booked a year out and made payments. But they don't see that. They just complain... lol.

Not in my experience.....In the last month I've taken 3 national flights (i.e. within Canada) and none of the people I saw on my flights had any hassle using their driver's licenses as ID. (I used my passport as I was doing further travel into the US, but many passengers did not use passports.) I'm sure there's variation with the individual security person, but everyone I saw passed through just as easily as I did using my passport.

Not in my experience.....In the last month I've taken 3 national flights (i.e. within Canada) and none of the people I saw on my flights had any hassle using their driver's licenses as ID. (I used my passport as I was doing further travel into the US, but many passengers did not use passports.) I'm sure there's variation with the individual security person, but everyone I saw passed through just as easily as I did using my passport.

My guess is that the people you saw entering the US by air without passports were tendering Nexus cards, not DL's. you can't get a Nexus cars without first obtaining a passport, and a passport is required to fly into the US from foreign soil.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

In the UK you are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks paid annual leave, it can be more depending on the company but it can't be less. This also applys to part time workers.

Wow, that is fantastic!

The job that I retired from I had 4 weeks vacation but that didn't begin until 20 years on the job.

My guess is that the people you saw entering the US by air without passports were tendering Nexus cards, not DL's. you can't get a Nexus cars without first obtaining a passport, and a passport is required to fly into the US from foreign soil.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

No, I meant the people traveling within Canada.....On each of those occasions, I didn't see personally anyone entering the US as I continued my trips (into the US) by car - the only people I could actually see with ID were on the flight portions, which were national, not international. The people flying within Canada were the ones using their driver's licenses - I was close enough to see what they had in their hands.

snip

I was shocked to read that in a pole(poll actually) one out of eight people would not admit to booking a cruise. I dont understand that.

end snip

I AM in the target group and, at age 70, am taking my first cruise only because my daughter and son-in-law purchased my fare (including airline) for me as a thank you gift. For me, a vacation was always hiking in the rain forest, scuba diving in the Pacific or going to visit with family. Neither my husband nor I were the least bit interested in cruising and, though I've become excited about this trip for the pure experience of it I would not have undertaken it by myself.

Cruises ARE expensive and for singles, cost prohibitive if you don't want to share a room with a total stranger. For the cost of the cruise and airfare, I could have flown to Costa Rica and stayed at a nice cabina with free breakfast for a month! During that time I would have hiked, boated, seen the sights, met lots of nice people slept in every day if I wanted.

I think cruises cater to people with a bit more money than the average vacationer. I cone from a family that camped and took road trips and raised my kids to camp and take road trips. Daughter likes cruises only because she was taken on one when she was 19 by her then boyfriend - and she and her husband have been on several more cruises since then. I appreciate that there is a core group of people who love to cruise but, face it---there are lots of different types of vacations available to people and for many the thought of spending a week with a couple of thousand strangers on a ship doesn't sound like fun.

I am personally very put off by a couple of things:

...not being allowed to bring the alcohol I prefer to drink with me..I'm picky about my Scotch.

...forced tiping...This may be my North American mind set, but a tip is not given so that the employer can pay the worker less. I think cruise line employees need a good strong union and obviously better wages...forced tiping sucks..

...all the extras...when they have classes of restaurants that cost more than the regular dining room I wonder how good the food in that dining room is going to be.

I really hope to have a great time..I'm going with a good attitude - that this is a new experience and I'll enjoy it but it's also something I could have spend my whole life without and not missed it at all...give me another trip to Central America and I'm happy.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=plantcrone&date=12-19-2013&text=FIRST cruise!!!  Am I excited?? YOU BET&ship=Nieuw Amsterdam

Plantcrone aka/elle

I'm not shocked that the majority of Americans have never taken a cruise. I agree with the typical stingy vacation provisions being one reason; another is that this is a big country and many of us live far enough from ports that we have to fly, adding more expense and considerable stress to the trip. There are also a lot of people who just aren't into travel. They save a bundle, but I'm not one of them.

Finally, as plantcrone noted, cruses are not for everyone. DH and I found one that fit our tastes (up close and personal with nature, crew based in US and paid according to US labor laws, under 100 passengers) but our first cruise was last year. I was 59 and he was 74. We've been to probably 20 countries together but prefer the flexibility of independent travel and have enjoyed some wonderful trips to places that are landlocked and some extended stays in places where cruise ship passengers experience only a day. (Ah, Dubrovnik!) We loved last year's cruise and have booked another next year but we certainly aren't addicted.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of friends who like to give me a hard time about cruising. one in particular is very status conscious and likes to drop things like "last time we were in Paris" into conversations. I take my vacations according to what suits my family and me. I also like to travel several times a year rather than taking fewer more glamorous trips. To each his own. I'm not embarrassed about cruising, and I don't take trips to impress the neighbors.

• 4 weeks later...

I love to cruise! Am booked on my fifth one in April. That will be the fourth cruise for my 5 year old daughter. We've cruised Disney, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian (which we liked the least). Travel is an important part of our family culture and I am grateful to be able to provide these experiences to my daughter. People's reactions to our frequent travel schedule range from surprise to contempt. It's amazing how many opinions there are about how I should spend my money,lol.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I didn't take my first cruise until the day I turned 51. It's not that I didn't want to but things in my life just didn't give me the opportunity or money to do so. I had always wanted to take a cruise but went through a bad marriage, divorce, was a single mom to young children and even after remarrying didn't have the finances to do it for a long while. I also had elderly parents that were in and out of hospitals for about 3 years that I had to help take care of. I have wanted to take a cruise for years. Just wasn't my time to do it I suppose. My first cruise was a birthday present for me and a graduation present for my youngest child.

So far I've only been on one cruise but finally talked my husband into taking one. Will be our first vacation together in 6 years so I'm counting down the days! I'm hoping he'll like it enough to want to do it again.

It took me years to convince my DH to take a cruise.

I stopped counting once we hit 120 cruises -- a few years ago.

Same here! Now he asks when we can go again?We are only heading for cruise #20 but our co-workers think we are world travelers.....lol

Edited by Reader0108598

Did my first cruise 20 months ago with friends. Went straight back with my hubby 6 months later.

We have done 3 now and have booked our 4th.

This next one will be a real change since its with Celebrity which means tipping, we don't do it in Australia except in response to outstanding service, a few times a year possibly, nor on our local cruise ships(although we personally give presents inc money to our steward and anyone who really stands out), and no-one expects any- no such thing as gratuities and the concern- will we get it right- so I prepaid them, now we don't need to worry.

Also we have had window til now, we are going to try Concierge and I managed to snare a cabin with extra balcony so very happy about that.

Are we addicted- too right we are

Do we tell people- I am proud to say we have managed to convince another 1/2 dozen people to take their 1st cruise and all but 1 will be doing more :)

BTW we get 4 weeks a year holiday/rec leave as an Industry standard except for people on negotiated contracts, they will some-times get more.