United Airline

amberben

In my experience, United is no worse than any other carrier. I have never had a problem with them and I have flown United a lot. I prefer United to American but I will fly with whomever can get me to where I am going for a price I am willing to pay.

Hi, Bill and I are traveling over to fort Lauderdale with United Airline in November. Am I right in thinking this isnt a very good airline.? I seem to remember others years some people mentioned it.?

Brenda x

United is the worst airline on my list. We always have problems with them (delayed flights, cancelled flights - and no notification, lost baggage, etc.). But ironically we fly United more often than any other airline because we get stuck with the vouchers they issue after every accident.

United is the worst airline on my list. We always have problems with them (delayed flights, cancelled flights - and no notification, lost baggage, etc.). But ironically we fly United more often than any other airline because we get stuck with the vouchers they issue after every accident.
Sounds like Delta and US scAIR to me. I really don't see much difference between any of the major airlines.

United is what remains of United and Continental. I used to fly only Continental. The service has deteriorated a bit since it went to United.

That said, I'm trying JetBlue for a dec flight, but in May for the Med will likely be back to Continental just because we live near a major hub which offers nonstops to where we are going.

Every airline has their fans.....I don't think United is any better or worse

than most of the other airlines in the industry. They all have small

seats and bathrooms.

Unless you are a person who always flies First Class? All the airlines

are the same.

We fly United a lot being that one of its hubs is Houston.

I have found them to be very accommodating and considerate of their passengers....they reimburse nicely for certain issues but some issues such as weather, etc are beyond their control.

Their frequent flier program is one of the best.

eclue;)

United is what remains of United and Continental. I used to fly only Continental. The service has deteriorated a bit since it went to United.

I agree that service has deteriorated since the merger. And, as with most airlines, everything seems to cost extra. On my last international flight, there were NO advance seat assignments available in coach -- only premium economy. I have would invested in the extra legroom, but the premium seats were $125 each way. And thankfully, I had only one bag to check, because the fee for a second bag was $100!

My recent experience with UA was not good on my way to an Alaska cruise this past May. Their personnel are wonderful, but their reservation system stinks. They cancelled my flight from Manchester, NH to Chicago and the res system went ahead and automatically cancelled the next leg to Vancouver, and also cancelled the return flights scheduled for 2 weeks later! I made it to Chicago on another US flight out of Boston that same morning, with plenty of time to catch the Vancouver flight. The ticketing agent in Chicago had a terrible time wrestling with the res system. She had to route me through San Francisco.

I used to fly UA all the time to Chicago and the West Coast on business 20 years ago. Never had a problem back then.

I've had better luck with Delta in the past few years.

Living within an hour of Newark, we have flown Continental (and now United since the merger) for many years. The pre-merger United had a reputation for poor service and old planes, while Continental flew mostly younger planes and had much better staff attitude. When the two lines merged, the Continental management took over and began a major effort to improve staff morale and produce a uniform level of service. That said, many of the older United planes are still flying and their fewer amenities, e.g., seats and electronics, can sometimes be annoying. Still, I think the merged line provides a good product.

In all, I would suggest you give them a try.

My husband flies with United enough that he has premier. He used to be loyal to them, but their service has become awful. He frequently has flights cancelled, which makes him miss connections, and he ends up waiting hours and hours at the airport, like 8 or 9 hours.

We live an hour from the airport and his luggage has been lost so many times that the guy who delivers it doesn't even have to look on the map to find our house. The 2 free checked bags he's allowed aren't worth much when they so frequently lose those bags. He tries to only use carry on now.

He's decided to use another line.

Hi, Bill and I are traveling over to fort Lauderdale with United Airline in November. Am I right in thinking this isnt a very good airline.? I seem to remember others years some people mentioned it.?

Brenda x

I am not clear about the point of your post. It seems you have purchased the air tickets (?) Are you thinking of getting them refunded and switching to another airline? If you have not already purchased (doubtful at this point) are you considering other airlines or are you looking for reassurance about your choice?

Assuming this is a "done deal", the best advice that others have provided is for you to consider spending additional money to secure a seat in the "Economy Plus" section of the aircraft, which provides some additional leg room, but no additional amenities. If you decide not to move into "Economy Plus", then United will provide about the same experience you would get on any of the other airlines.

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I had already booked our flights but was thinking it was with AA but when I checked realized it is UA. No nothing I can do I suppose but at least I am aware of things now. Will not be the first time our flight was cancelled and we wasnt told about it and that was by BA. so like you say properly not worse then anyone else.

Brenda xx

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I had already booked our flights but was thinking it was with AA but when I checked realized it is UA. No nothing I can do I suppose but at least I am aware of things now. Will not be the first time our flight was cancelled and we wasnt told about it and that was by BA. so like you say properly not worse then anyone else.

Brenda xx

Double check you flight. It may have a United number, but be operated by another star alliance partner. Lufthansa is a great airline as well as some of the other European partners. I have flown United for work for years as well as US, DL, AA. They are all pretty much the same. However, I fly across the pond often. I will tell you that extra $125 for economy plus is worth it especially on the night flight.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't like United, but am also flying them to my next cruise port. Continental was may favorite before they merged with United. Can't say I like American, US Air, or Delta either though, so I just go with the best combination of price and schedule.

If at all possible, I'll fly JetBlue. But they don't fly direct to very many locations from Charlotte and Southwest is just beginning service here.

Too late to change? Detest UA, but am sometimes also a prisoner as live in small town in Colorado. Did it once over pond, never again. Even BA better and they stranded my friend in London once. Like Air France or Lufthansa to Miami international. Seats, service, food bad on UA.

I had already booked our flights but was thinking it was with AA but when I checked realized it is UA. No nothing I can do I suppose but at least I am aware of things now.

Are you sure that you booked the cruise on Celebrity?? :D

How DID you book UA thinking it was AA? Curious.

UA will be fine. It's not Cathay or Singapore, but it's also not Ryanair.

I'd recommend looking into a seat upgrade to premium economy for long flights. It usually isn't massively expensive and buys you extra leg-room.

I also buy the plus if it is within reason and usually it is. We were lucky enough to have caught a sale to Hawaii EWR to HNL at $619 pp and then lucky enough to score another ticket using miles gathered from a China roundtrip last Oct. Leaving for Hawaii week from Monday Wahooo!Total flight cost $619 roundtrip for two.

For the plus it is usually not full and FA's are good to keep economy folks out so we have found that we usually get two aisles with middle empty which is just about my favorite. It does make a difference in comfort. Especially on the 14 hour flights I have been taking lately:eek:

I have been flying almost exclusively with United Airlines for close to 50 years and joined their Milleage Plus program when it started. It still is my airline of choice and always has been. I find that the people who fly today behave much differently than they did years ago. Perhaps if both personnel and passangers were more polite to one another, the experience of flying would be better!

I have been flying United for 39 years . It is the US carrier I fly most frequently.

A few years back , there was a definite decline. The service , attitude and equipment all suffered.

I have seen improvements in all of these areas. I have been pleased with my last few experiences . I agree with the Economy Plus recommendation , I always pay the fee unless it is a short flight. It makes a lot of difference in comfort.

My next 2 international flights to the US will be on US Airways. First time , looking forward to comparing.

Archived