Has anyone stayed in Nice, France

midwestchick

We'll be arriving in Nice a day or two before we sail out of Monaco. Now all the planning really begins. Looking for a nice hotel...nothing over the top. We want clean, friendly and reasonably priced. We'll also have to see about transfers to the port.

We won't be cruising until next Sept. but I like to get things planned out.

As of right now the roll calls (connections threads) are not active for our cruises.

As long as I'm posting a question...anyone know about the best transfers.

The website http://www.tripadvisor.com is an excellent source of information about hotels. I'd definitely check that out. Also, there's a ports forum on Cruise Critic that's dedicated to all topics on France (ports of call Europe forum; France is the sub category). You'd surely get a lot of answers there. We found our Athens hotel for our Journey voyage next May by looking at the ports forum for Greece and I'm pretty happy with the choice. You can also ask for advice about transfers there, too.

We have stayed at the Le Meridien in Nice - very nice view of the sea and walking distance to the old town. We have also stayed at the Riviera Marriott in France but a 10 minute walk to Monaco. Both are nice, not over the top hotels, within walking distance of the things you want to see.

Used to post as Nice Lady on TripAdvisor. Also look at their forums for various cities.I like to stay down by old Port, go to the markets and take day trips on the Bus.Used to be 1E just about any surrounding town. Cannes, Eze, St.Paul de Vence, Villefranche, Grasse, Menton, Monaco(you can take bus to Monaco port, did it once. Several days better to enjoy area.

The website www.tripadvisor.com is an excellent source of information about hotels. I'd definitely check that out. Also, there's a ports forum on Cruise Critic that's dedicated to all topics on France (ports of call Europe forum; France is the sub category). You'd surely get a lot of answers there. We found our Athens hotel for our Journey voyage next May by looking at the ports forum for Greece and I'm pretty happy with the choice. You can also ask for advice about transfers there, too.

Thanks...I'll look around the ports of call but I always seem to get lost on that forum :confused:...don't know why. :o

I've been an active tripadvisor follower for years...I'll look there too. I just thought it might be easier to post it here.

To the other posters...thanks for your recommendations. If there is enough to see, maybe we'll go in a day or 2 earlier than we originally planned. Have some time to think about it...can't book flights before Nov. 4.

Did you not see Lotties helpful post yesterday under Quest 9 October Nice or Monte Carlo? She gave a very helpful suggestion there otherwise search against Nice on the Port of Call board, you will get a lot of suggestions.

Nice is used to visitors, you will find if you do not speak French, you will still be fine, many places for example have menus in French, English and German and the hop on hop off bus tour has the various language options

When we sailed from Nice we went a couple of days before and stayed at the Hotel Suisse which was in a lovely position overlooking the bay but also rather expensive. However, it was within walking distance of the port so, provided you don't mind wheeling your case for a half hour stroll, you can easily walk it. On another occasion we stayed at the more reasonable Hotel Grimaldi which was very nice with a good breakfast included. It was a 5 minute walk from the Promenade des Anglais and you could also walk from there but it would take a bit longer. There is also a good bus service. We didn't use it to get to the port but it's very easy to get a bus from the airport along the Promenade des Anglais.

We have stayed in Nice a number of times over the last few years, most recently in May this year, on this trip we both sensed that the local population were more receptive to tourists and much more likely to help out even for non French speakers, this included taxi drivers and restaurant staff, I thinkk the impact of the recession has made the local generally more friendly to outsiders.

Lots of hotels to choose from and the tram makes getting around very easy although we tend to walk everywhere, hotels near the convention centre are close to the tram and about a 20 min walk to either the port or old town

We will be back next year for our French fix

We have taken Cruises out of Monaco in summer for the last two years. Last year we had a 3 night stay in Nice at Best Western Rooservelt. Modest price, modest accomodation conveniently situated to see all the sights Nice has to offer.

This year we decided to transfer from Nice Airport directly to Villefranche for 5 nights pre Cruise. Villefranche is beautiful. It is also a lovely relaxing place to spend a few days.

A 15 minute local bus ride will take you to the stunning Cap Ferat.The train makes it easily accessible for a day exploring Nice and or Cannes. You can also use the local bus to visit St Paul du Vence and Eze.

We stayed at the Le Hotel Provencal, modestly price, large clean, comfortable newly renovated accomodation with gorgeous sea views.

The French are charming and helpful. Courteous behaviour is a must, just remember your Bonjour's and Merci's and you will have a wonderful visit

Edited by koalapanda
punc'

Last year, we stayed at Hotel Villa les Cygnes for several nights after our Lisbon to Monte Carlo cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is rated #1 on TripAdvisor. The rooms were very nice, its location was great, and the hosts and staff were fantastic. We highly recommend this hotel, and would stay there again given the opportunity.

We have stayed at the Westminster Concorde and thought it was lovely with an old world charm. It was a few years ago on a land trip - not pre or post cruise. They have a wonderful location right on the Promenade des Anglais.

Here is their website.

http://www.westminster-nice.com/uk/hotel-4-etoiles-promenade-des-anglais-official-site.php

I just got back from a Nice pre-stay before a cruise out of Monaco and stayed at the Palais de la Mediterranee, which recently became a Hyatt Regency (so its full name is now Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee, quite mouthful). It was excellent--beautiful rooms, good food, and a very helpful staff (I spoke no French and that was not a problem). The best part was the location, right across from the Promenade/beach and within walking distance of almost everywhere I wanted to go. It is a bit pricey, but I am not sure what the going rate is at other properties and what the price range is within the hotel.

I was worried about getting to the cruise ship and my travel agent arranged for a private transfer. It was about $100 (+ tip), but the trip was only 30-40 minutes, so it is certainly do-able by taxi. A train would have been much cheaper (and perhaps more interesting), but I did not want to worry about lugging suitcases around or trying to find my way to the train station or buying tickets without knowing the local language.

I think you'll love Nice--a pre-cruise stay is a great idea.

as we are arriving in Nice on a T/A next year on AZ...and I have been thinking about booking a hotel...as we are staying there for a few days before going on to Germany to visit CC friends. Many good suggestions re hotels etc. ....LuAnn

We stayed in a lovely apartment we found on VRBO and were there for a week..had the best time ever!! Be sure to try the mussukes and fries..Yum!!

Sat out on the balcony in the morning..the water sparkled and had our coffee..the whole week was incredible..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Have you tried www.homeaway.com? Through this agency you can book anything from a villa sleeping 20 to an efficiency apartment, all over the world. The properties are reviewed by people who have stayed in them. I deal with the traveling public as a museum guide & quite a few people have praised them.

We stayed in The Boscolo Exedra in Nice last week. It is a stunning hotel.....everything is white and my corner/front room was HUGE with the bath in the centre of the room, two Juliet balconies and one of the biggest beds I have ever had. Breakfast was great and it is is in a quiet residential street but only a 10 minute stroll ....if that ....from Galeries Lafayette and the main shopping area.

There is a good local restaurant directly opposite the hotel. We were the only non French people there.....always a good sign!

Be careful though....there are three Boscolo Hotels in Nice. If anyone is going to choose this hotel then do make sure it is the Boscolo Exedra that you book, as the others are not of such high quality.

A lot of great information...thank you everyone.

Since we'll be sailing out of Monaco, I'm wondering if maybe we should just stay there...we would need to transfer from Nice to Monaco, since we fly into Nice.

stay in Nice and take a day trip to Monaco to see things.. take 15 min utes by train and you can see highlights in hours

• 4 weeks later...

Le Meridien is my favourite when I go with my husband, but when I go on my own I stay at the Splendide [a sofitel hotel]. Take the train to Italy. Breakfast at your hotel, get a day return ticket to just inside the Italian border, stop at all the famous places along the route, lunch in Italy and then come home. The train follows the coastline.

One must see near Nice is the Ephrussi-Rothschild mansion and magnificent gardens looking out at Med from St. Jean Cap Ferrat. Most beautiful place you can imagine. Can be reached by bus--can't remember which bus it is, but it drops you right at street you walk up to enter. We spent an entire day there, ate a wonderful lunch in their café, and wandered gardens for hours. ddcruiser

• 2 months later...

I booked our hotel last week...it's actually a nice B&B with excellent reviews on tripadvisor. We're at the Hotel Victor Hugo.

Once I began reading about all the hotels I found many were non-refundable hotels (Victor Hugo is not)...not a good thing and I felt some of the prices were quite costly. We wanted a nice, clean, centrally located hotel and that's what we got. Of course, breakfast in included. I'm sure that first night we'll crash after long flight times and the time change. We arrive two days before our cruise, so the second day we'll be out and about sight seeing...may go to Monaco...depends on what we find to do in Nice.

I booked our flights (seats chosen too) :) and hotels the same day, so now it's just planning some more excursions or DIY ports. :D

Edited by midwestchick

Sounds good Nancy! A good way to spend your time this winter, thinking about the South of France....

Funny you should post on this, Kathy. :) I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering if you had any cruises coming up. We're really looking forward to being back on the Journey.

It's been one heck of a winter....more like we had when I was growing up. Maybe we'll have a decent spring for once.