Why I sail with HAL..why do you?.

Lkcossmfr

No choice if I want to sail on a charter cruise. HAL is my least favourite cruise line. I have had bad experiences on most of the ships I have been on (Zaandam, Maasdam, Eurodam-twice and the Nieuw Amsterdam). The ships are average at best.

I love going on the Legendary rhythm and blues cruise. They have used HAL for quite a few cruises. The smaller ships work for the way the cruise is set up.

My hubby was so excited that the October '14 cruise was not on HAL, he asked me to book it. We are still going on January '14 and '15 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I hope the ship is cleaner and better run than last January.

Flame away! I am sure the board nasties will be out in full force ;)

AHOY SHIPMATES,

NO FLAME, not even a spark, different strokes for different folks !!

I have had bad experiences on PRINCESS and NORWEGIAN and I just don't like RCL

10 yrs ago I didn't think much of Carnival but now I enjoy their 5 day trips.

NO big business is perfect so it's only normal to have preferences, based on past experiences. It's unfortunate that yours were on a normally great Line.

Hope your future cruises are more enjoyable. Theme cruises can be difficult sometimes because of the demands the organizers place on the crew/staff that are

not in the best interest of the rest of the passengers.

BON VOYAGE

I've been on many HAL cruises, as well as most of the other 'regular' cruiselines. I love the HAL crew and ambiance since I'm not a 'party hearty' person. I also love sitting in the Crow's Nest and find that most other cruiseline ships do not have a comparable forward-facing lounge. I spend many a day there reading, enjoying happy hour, etc.

I like their food (suits my palate) and generally like how familiar it feels. Not, of course, that anything is perfect and our last cruise was ruined by no Internet available (and I mean NO internet, even though they charged for it and we paid for it). We ended up getting a refund, but my husband is both a retired consultant who uses the Internet for his work, and a blogger, so it seriously impacted our enjoyment. He had to lug the laptop off at each stop in our port-intensive cruise to keep up with his work and this cut into my enjoyment and attention from him. He usually works on his laptop when I am sleeping or when we are reading together onboard.

However, I'm planning my next trip on HAL since it works for us.

Tina

This thread makes me even more excited for our first HAL cruise in January! We chose HAL because of the itinerary - it's a great way to keep me out of the cold weather of January! We've never been able to take longer cruises before retirement, and always had to fit them into the school schedule when I was teaching. We are looking forward to a great experience.

Hi

HAl the crew I love how the crew treats me. I usually travel solo and they have been outstanding to me

Also Promenade deck. I love walking around the deck. On other ships you cannot do this. This is a huge reason why I cruise Hal

another the Amsterdam I also love Her. Also smaller ships I don't want to be on a ship that has thousands pf pax. also the itinerary itineraries.

Mary

I could not agree more! I also like the lack of loud, seemingly never ending announcements that bombard you many times a day. My favorite place, after the Promenade Deck has to be the Crowe 's Nest, especially when coming into places lik old San Juan.

Just my opinion as a solo traveller...

Flame away! I am sure the board nasties will be out in full force ;)

Someone is upset...

I appreciate all the comments on this thread. Sometimes it is a "stress test" of sorts, but we've all got our bad days, and what's easy for some is a hardship for others. I get light headed looking at cartoon anatomy pictures, so I've got some silly hangups as well.

We're thinking of booking our 3rd cruise on HAL in June of 2015, going to Alaska. The prices beat RCL near sailing date, and from everyone's description we will love the service and amenities. A smaller boat in Alaska might be more cozy anyways, and I would like to try more of the classic cruise experience.

Our first cruise on HAL came about by pure happenstance. We were very pleased and have continued because we like the familiar, comfortable feeling we get as we board a HAL ship. We know what to expect and there is a certain sense of security because of that. The crew are a big part of the welcoming feeling.

Everything has not been perfect, but taken as a whole, we have no major complaints. We are not naive enough to believe that if we changed to another line we would have totally problem free cruises. People who expect perfection in travel should stay home because nothing is ever perfect. That is not to say that they should not get upset over issues that arise, but they need to deal with them and move on.

Another thing, and I think I have mentioned it before, is (in Innlady's words) posting with strangers. On the HAL board I know so many wonderful people, many of whom I have met personally and others I feel as though I have met because of email and FB. There are also many with whom I have no private contact who are delightful posters and provide a wealth of information and entertainment. If we were to change lines it would mean moving to another board where I don't know the cast of characters. I mean who ya gonna trust?:confused:

We cruise HAL because it suits us.

We like the friendly crew, the Crow's Nest and the Promenade deck.

The food usually suits our palate.

Fellow cruisers tend to be friendly, but not overly so. We feel safe and welcome. We don't have to do everything together, but can if we want to.

Dining stewards, wine stewards and others quickly learn what we like and do what they can to anticipate our wants. We're not pushy, and neither are they. We can sit in the Crow's Nest and watch the world sail by without being hounded to buy drinks.

We like the size of the ships - I can't imagine being on one of those huge ships that have 4000 passengers - our town is only 6000.

We like being greeted with "welcome back". (looking forward to hearing that again some day)

It's not perfect, but we like it.

I would travel on the really small ships if I could but don't want to spend that kind of all inclusive money regularly- HAL is as close to that as we can get. You get what you pay for and we are very flexable --

I don't want a floating city with thousands of people and lots of children.

HAL has nice rooms - great service - good food for not snooty foodies - and a super vacation.

We like HAL but we really do not notice much of a difference between the service level and the staff on HAL and with, let's say Celebrity. Certainly there may be differences between the odd cruise but overall we find them both to almost identical. Same for a few of the Princess cruises that we have been on.

The only thing that we notice on HAL that it seems to be much more difficult to get poolside bar service than it is on other cruise lines. Not certain why this is when on board revenue is so critical to the cruise line. This is of no real consequence to us (other than perhaps we save some money) but we have found the difference noticeable.

We recently did our first celebrity cruise and enjoyed it immensely. However, on my return I read many bad reviews of the voyage. I couldn't believe these people were on the same cruise. It's amazing how people attack such trivial things. WE had done only one HA cruise before on the Eurodam about v4 vyears ago, and loved it. Anyway I started reading reviews of Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise and there was a lot of bashing. But I reminded myself of the Celebrity experience and figured complainers love to complain and contented passengers are more likely to sit back. Going forward I have two dislikes about HA compared to clebrity. Celebrity has a much better no smoking policy and on their menus they indicate the health and less caloric, fatty, and sodium optioms. And in the Blu restaurant they only serve the healthier faire. Holland America seems to have more interesting itineraries particularly on longer cruise. And in the end as I consider most cruise lines about equal it will be pricing and itinerary that will determine who I go with.

We recently did our first celebrity cruise and enjoyed it immensely. However, on my return I read many bad reviews of the voyage. I couldn't believe these people were on the same cruise. It's amazing how people attack such trivial things. WE had done only one HA cruise before on the Eurodam about v4 vyears ago, and loved it. Anyway I started reading reviews of Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise and there was a lot of bashing. But I reminded myself of the Celebrity experience and figured complainers love to complain and contented passengers are more likely to sit back. Going forward I have two dislikes about HA compared to clebrity. Celebrity has a much better no smoking policy and on their menus they indicate the health and less caloric, fatty, and sodium optioms. And in the Blu restaurant they only serve the healthier faire. Holland America seems to have more interesting itineraries particularly on longer cruise. And in the end as I consider most cruise lines about equal it will be pricing and itinerary that will determine who I go with.

Well said, I agree. There are things we like about both Celebrity and HAL, enough to sail them both. :)

HAL keeps us coming back year after year because of the Filipino crew. They are amazing and we have been on many other cruise lines, but none compare. The crew are often a highlight of our cruise!

My DH and I agree. The crew is amazing and always smiling. We love the familiarity also of the ships, the food, the beautiful ships and especially THE BEDS!!! LOL. I feel safe on HAL.

I sail with HAL because the crew makes me feel like an honored guest in their gently used but greatly cherished home.

Totally agree; plus interesting itinerarys and the very comfortable beds. All the DAM ships that we have been on have been exquisitely beautiful making us feel like we are living in a museum. (except the Nieuw Amsterdam, her decor is to modern for our taste.)

I never and I mean never thought I'd get on a ship let alone a Dam ship in my life. Ships and me- way too scary. But things happen in life and bad things-really bad things happened to my sister. So as families do they rally together and we decided as a family that a Med cruise was the way to heal. So I went along focusing on the flight and the itinerary sucking it up not really dealing with the fact I'd actually be on the titanic - uhhm I mean a ship. So I bought the ticket and denied I'd be taking the ride...and I mean all the way till were there. Lalalallalalalalala. as she runs onto the ship....hey this is not so bad Lalalallala...its really high up lalalalla it's lunch....yummmy...lalalalalala, I love ,my cabin....lalallalalala, everyone is sooooo nice.

Hey my hotel floats while I move and I only have to unpack once.

childhood nightmares to adult ecstasy....I don't know it all but I know HAL does it for me.

maybe I'missing something but I don't think so.

Thanks Hal you are what I need to be.

I never and I mean never thought I'd get on a ship let alone a Dam ship in my life. Ships and me- way too scary. But things happen in life and bad things-really bad things happened to my sister. So as families do they rally together and we decided as a family that a Med cruise was the way to heal. So I went along focusing on the flight and the itinerary sucking it up not really dealing with the fact I'd actually be on the titanic - uhhm I mean a ship. So I bought the ticket and denied I'd be taking the ride...and I mean all the way till were there. Lalalallalalalalala. as she runs onto the ship....hey this is not so bad Lalalallala...its really high up lalalalla it's lunch....yummmy...lalalalalala, I love ,my cabin....lalallalalala, everyone is sooooo nice.

Hey my hotel floats while I move and I only have to unpack once.

childhood nightmares to adult ecstasy....I don't know it all but I know HAL does it for me.

maybe I'missing something but I don't think so.

Thanks Hal you are what I need to be.

That is very well written. It is cute. I agree....we are caught up in the magic of cruising. A total adventure! !

1. The crew, always friendly even on sea days when they are working 18 hour shifts.

2. The wrap around deck. We love walking around the ship, either daytime or at night. You don't find that on many other ships.

3. The cooking classes, we love them.

4. HA feels like home to us even though we have only been on 4 of their cruises.

I keep looking at other cruise lines, but I am happy with HA.

There are many reasons why I have sailed with HAL the most often. The prime reason is the crew. Example:

August 15, 2013 aboard the Eurodam, enjoying the Mariner's Embarkation Lunch with my traveling companion and 2 other couples, Dodi, one of my Dining Room Stewards on the Volendam in the Spring of 2012, saw me (before I saw him) as he was serving a neighboring table. He yelled out: Bob! And, came rushing over to me. We had a joyous reunion! My dining companions were astounded that he remembered me, my name, and responded in such a manner.

Interestingly, later in the afternoon at the Muster Drill, I discovered that Dodi was my lifeboat's Assistant Commander. After the drill, we had a brief conversation about changes in the drill since we both were on the Volendam.

Our recent Veendam cruise revealed just how serious the crew takes safety...during the lifeboat drill, all the passengers in our area were milling about, talking, renewing acquaintances etc...laughing...when the p.a. barked to life....'from the captain: this is a LIFEBOAT drill...not a social hour. Be quiet and listen to your life-boat captains...your life may depend on it' (paraphrased). Don't recall who the captain was, but was certainly glad he told the chatters to SHUT UP!!

Archived