Slow Disembark Port Everglades

aliaschief

DH & I disembarked the Eurodam yesterday. We were "Pink" and called at 0815. It took us from 0815 until 0840 to depart our ship pick up our luggage and clear customs and pick up a taxi. They had 6 customs officers and it was seamless! The cruise was incredible as well!!!!

DH & I disembarked the Eurodam yesterday. We were "Pink" and called at 0815. It took us from 0815 until 0840 to depart our ship pick up our luggage and clear customs and pick up a taxi. They had 6 customs officers and it was seamless! The cruise was incredible as well!!!!

Good to hear and good to hear that you had an incredible cruise:D

Sounds like CBP is getting its act together once again.

If I use Direct Luggage Delivery for my larger bags (2) to Southwest Air Lines, can I get off the ship as a "self disembarkation passenger" in an early group? Do I arrange for this on board? Any experience with this program?

I would expect to take a taxi to FLL airport and catch an 11:30am flight (with preprinted boarding passes in hand). Westerdam is to arrive at 7am.

I know other ships may be there and immigration slow, but hoping if I hit the dock by 8:30am, thru immigration by 9:30am, and in cab by 9:45am, I should be ok.

Thoughts?

We did Luggage Direct on the Westerdam last December; arrived at the airport before 8:30, and flew out at 11:30. And last year there were early grumbles about delays that seemed to improve as the cruising season went on.

Cutbacks or sound business? So they hire enough to handle the cruise ship season. What do they do with all the custom agents in no passenger season? Just a thought with no idea how it all works.

As OP I will again state it was not as bad as many post suggest. Just be aware there are times it may be a slower process than previous cruises out of Port Everglades but surely not devastating.

Edited by aliaschief

Yes, that's how it works. However, if the authorities did want to open and inspect your luggage, they would need you to be there while they did. You would be called from the line, and reunited with your luggage while the inspection was going on.

Normally, they aren't opening a lot---if any---luggage. They just have you collect it, pull it through yourself, turn in the Customs form, and leave.

The reason those not using Luggage Direct claim their luggage first, then pass through Customs, is so they have their luggage with them just in case a decision is made to inspect.

I have arrived at my destination and found inside my bag a 3 X 5 Paper saying my bag was inspected by TSA and I was not present !!!!

I have arrived at my destination and found inside my bag a 3 X 5 Paper saying my bag was inspected by TSA and I was not present !!!!

Which has nothing to do with the topic under discussion. The post you quoted was talking about Luggage Direct, and Customs activity at the pier---not security at the airport.

Just disembarked MS Eurodam. Only two custom agents and that appears to be permanent as they have a sign apologizing for delays due to funding cut backs

Held us on ship due to congestion in terminal but it went fairly smoothly once we were allowed to disembark.

Just thought you should be aware of this and expect possible delays.

Last Saturday I got off the Westerdam and it was a disaster. I left the ship at 8:40 AM and by the time I left the terminal it was 9:50 AM. There were three agents for the US and 1 for the non-US people. IT was SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.

Last Saturday I got off the Westerdam and it was a disaster. I left the ship at 8:40 AM and by the time I left the terminal it was 9:50 AM. There were three agents for the US and 1 for the non-US people. IT was SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.

A really lousy way to end a great vacation. There are no chairs around anywhere in the terminal while elderly and frail people wait in long lines to go through immigration.

Reading this thread, I am very glad my next cruise does not go back to disembark at Port Everglades, but carries on through as a repositioning cruise to Vancouver. Last time, we were off and out in no time - and it was the first cruise day of the season there. Well organised.

Reading this thread, I am very glad my next cruise does not go back to disembark at Port Everglades, but carries on through as a repositioning cruise to Vancouver. Last time, we were off and out in no time - and it was the first cruise day of the season there. Well organised.

Me too! :) Until disembarkation issues improve at Port Everglades as well the completion/upgrades to the runways at FLL, I will be avoiding any cruise embarking from Port Everglades! ;)

As OP I feel there is a little over reaction to the issue. Most of us are in favor of our government to reduce spending until it effects us directly.

When I started this thread I just wanted to point out that there could be some short delays compared to previous cruises.

So they hire a slew of custom agents to handle the increased cruise ship passenger load and then what do they do with them in the off season?

We were held up for 20-30 minutes from disembarking due to backup in the terminal. We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare and made our flight.

IMO we should stop the gloom and doom and go enjoy your cruise. What's a 30 minute delay compared to 7-10 beautiful days on a Dam ship?