Slow Disembark Port Everglades

aliaschief

Not on the Westerdam but in late November when we got off the Nieuw Amsterdam, it was slow.

Since I have to use wheelchair assistance, I asked what was taking so long. Answer -- for the self disembarkation passengers they have usually 5 officials working immigration and customs. After that they cut back to 2 officials working.

Not on the Westerdam but in late November when we got off the Nieuw Amsterdam, it was slow.

Since I have to use wheelchair assistance, I asked what was taking so long. Answer -- for the self disembarkation passengers they have usually 5 officials working immigration and customs. After that they cut back to 2 officials working.

Not that I have a huge number of cruises under my belt, but we always self disembark (and are among the first 10 couples off the ship). I've never seen more than 2 customs officers.

Can anyone comment on traffic to the airport on a weekday? We generally arrived and departed on a weekend.

We disembarked on Friday morning. We did wait in line for over an hour. If I were to do it over, I would get off earlier rather than later. There were 3 agents working for US citizens, but one took a break and did not return.:confused:

When we got off the Maasdam in Dec there was only the Noordam and one other small ship in port. There were 2 agents for US passengers and 1 for non-US. We got off at 1030 and it took about 30 minutes in line. The non-US line had virtually no people so there waiting time was less than 5 minutes.

We got off the Amsterdam yesterday and it was extremely slow. We were the group off after the self-debark group and we waited over half an hour and watched as the lines got longer and longer. At first there were 2 agents for International and two for US and a third was added for the US - one man was there at another desk but didn't participate. There were 7 ships in yesterday. But it was equally as bad last year with less ships.

That as well as the Air traffic controllers in FLL yesterday holding incoming flights at their destination (even those not in the northeast) for over two hours, makes me really not want to disembark in FLL again anytime soon.

We got off the Westerdam on December 7th.

We did self-disembark (is that the right term? :confused:). It was actually delayed a little bit and somewhat of an organizational mess on the inside of the ship. We were 3rd in line to get off the ship. As the crowd kept getting bigger and bigger, the HAL person in charge (which was a port employee, not a ship employee) never attempted to keep order and when the ship was finally cleared - it was a free for all. Oh well, I digress.....

We left the ship with all our luggage at 8:10 AM. We went through customs/immigration and straight to a cab to the airport. We were sitting at the gate, being bored and waiting for our flight by 8:50 AM.

There were 3 ICE officers in the terminal. I thought it was a little stupid that they give a separate line to foreign nationals, but then they use the same officers, not a dedicated one. So, why not have all queue in the same line then? :rolleyes:

End result: Easy, peasy, pork chop greasy! Our flight back to LAX was at 11:05 AM and we had plenty of wiggle room. However, being first off and dragging your own luggage is the way to go. :)

PS: we did have 5 ships in port that day (incl. Oasis). also.... some people ended up getting shoveled to the front of the line, because they ended up claiming they had flights at 8:00 AM (Yea, ok). We later saw those same people milling around FLL.

Edited by jayisgerman

I empathize, Chief, with what you experienced. Disembarking Celebrity Eclipse last February was the worst cruise experience I have had. I wonder if this is a Fort Lauderdale issue rather than a Federal agency nation-wide issue. Disembarking Eurodam in New York on September 12th, there were 16 Customs agents in the terminal processing passengers. It was quick, smooth, and easy!

We were off at FLL and went thru the airport line for SWA only to find we were too EARLY! Another trip through the line made it late enough to go through the gov't C#$%^&*( and get something to drink.

I wanted coffee when we got to the airport, but by the time we got through immigration, I was ready for something stronger!!:):p

They also have some good food at the bar if you ask.

As the OP I thought this post had gone to archives. We have cruised again on the NADM since I wrote this post and experienced no delays and ten minutes from gang way to taxi.

It appears either you hit disembarkation at the right time or not. Time for this post to be retired.:)

We got off the Westerdam on December 7th.

We did self-disembark (is that the right term? :confused:). It was actually delayed a little bit and somewhat of an organizational mess on the inside of the ship. We were 3rd in line to get off the ship. As the crowd kept getting bigger and bigger, the HAL person in charge (which was a port employee, not a ship employee) never attempted to keep order and when the ship was finally cleared - it was a free for all. Oh well, I digress.....

We left the ship with all our luggage at 8:10 AM. We went through customs/immigration and straight to a cab to the airport. We were sitting at the gate, being bored and waiting for our flight by 8:50 AM.

There were 3 ICE officers in the terminal. I thought it was a little stupid that they give a separate line to foreign nationals, but then they use the same officers, not a dedicated one. So, why not have all queue in the same line then? :rolleyes:

End result: Easy, peasy, pork chop greasy! Our flight back to LAX was at 11:05 AM and we had plenty of wiggle room. However, being first off and dragging your own luggage is the way to go. :)

PS: we did have 5 ships in port that day (incl. Oasis). also.... some people ended up getting shoveled to the front of the line, because they ended up claiming they had flights at 8:00 AM (Yea, ok). We later saw those same people milling around FLL.

I know I should know the answer to this....However, I don't. If you do self disembark, do you put any of your luggage out the night before???

Thanks again!

I got off the Westerdam on Nov. 2, 2013 and it over an hour late. A certain administration was using this and blaming on the Sequestration. I got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on December 9, 2013 and things went much smoother. I was one of the last off as I was staying in Ft. Lauderdale. I got off earlier than expected. It used to be you showed them the custom form on the way off the ship. Now each has to get in line and show the passport to the customs officer and it takes a lot longer.

I know I should know the answer to this....However, I don't. If you do self disembark, do you put any of your luggage out the night before???

Thanks again!

No

Self-disembarkation means that you have to be able to carry off all your luggage and items yourself -- no help from anyone on the ship or from anyone in the terminal as you proceed to immigration and customs and leave the building.