Does anyone else skip port stops that require tenders?

Catnap All Day

For us it depends on the port and the predicted weather.

Once when we were in Maui the tenders in the a.m. were fine. Coming back to the ship waves were very high, and in getting off the tender it rocked and dipped so badly that at times there was over a 2' step to get on the ship. Those poor sailors were often lifting passengers up over the step. For those less mobile, it was a nightmare.

However, tendering today is a snap compared to my first Sitmar cruises in the early 70's. You climbed down a skimpy staircase on the side of the ship to a platform where the tender was docked. I did that once--and only once!

When deciding to book a cruise, we always consider the ports and whether or not a tender is required. We prefer docking and just walking off the ship, but would not skip a port that we really wanted to see just because of the need to use a tender.

I would stay on a cruise ship for political reasons if we were going to Aruba. That whole Natalee Holloway thing really upset me.
Bad things can happen to kids who get drunk during spring break. Could happen anywhere. I have always been alongside in Aruba. Never tendered.

I would stay on a cruise ship for political reasons if we were going to Aruba. That whole Natalee Holloway thing really upset me. I wouldn't even want to book a cruise going there.

Um the thing with Natalee Holloway wasn't really political and can't really compare to political issues in Jamaica.

That being said, some of the best ports I've visited have been reached by tender - Sitka, Santa Barbara, Catalina, Cabo, Maui. Tendering isn't as convenient as being alongside, but unless you've got mobility issues (and many of those can be mitigated) I can't see skipping a cruise or a port due to there being a tender stop.

This past week in Bar Harbor the bay got very bumpy and a lady fell from the top of a tender as she was getting ready to go down the stairs or as she was going down the stairs. When she fell into the water, a older man jumped in to save her, then a crew member jumped in to save them both. Many life rings went in around them. The Captain immediately announced "Man Overboard, Port Side" and activated a rescue team. A few minutes later, the people were brought aboard cold and wet, taken to the Medical Center. Luckily, she fell on the side that was away from the ship or they would have all been squashed between the tender and the ship. Within 4-5 minutes the stand down was called. We left port on time. I heard that everyone was ok and finished the cruise.

I didn't personally see this happen, but talked to several that did. I was in my Caribe cabin and when I looked off my balcony, I could see the tender, which had moved back away from the area, but because the Dolphin balconies block the view, couldn't see the water.

My concern is how many "mobility impaired" or "alcohol impaired" people come back from the tender ports tired, burdened with packages and are challenged by the motion of the tender. The crew does a fantastic job of keeping everyone dry, but be aware that they can't be everywhere!

We've stayed on the ship rather than have to deal with taking tenders in Grand Cayman a couple of times. If we don't find something intriguing to do on our upcoming Ruby Princess cruise, we'll stay on again there. We also will choose to stay on the ship in Jamaica even without having to tender.

We have no problem with tendering. Sometimes it is to our benefit because the tenders take us where we want to go, without additional taxis or shuttle buses.

In Mykonos and St. Thomas, we have been dropped off right in town. :D

We also agree with those that choose to tender in to those ports that require it. We never stay on the ship and skip the ports. Sometimes we may not spend a lot of time in some ports (like Trinidad) but it’s all part of the Cruising experience. At least for us it is.

We have no problem with tendering. Sometimes it is to our benefit because the tenders take us where we want to go, without additional taxis or shuttle buses.

Hear You! The tender docks are almost always exactly where you want to be anyways. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Tendering is a major operation for the ship and often, predicted weather can affect whether or not the ship stops and tenders or not. If severe storms are forecast for the afternoon, for instance, the ship won't stop. There is nothing worse than tendering ashore on a sunny, clear and calm day and find yourself on a tender when a severe storm hits later in the day with gale force winds and 15-20' seas. Talk about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Picture that was posted by "posaune"

66066521_TenderinroughwatersphotobyPosaune.jpg.149e7607b8dc7afb0f61736bc4ef158b.jpg

Picture that was posted by "posaune"

Wow! That picture should be hung in a prominent place at Passenger Services and the excursion desk on days they have to cancel a tender port. It might eliminate some of the griping! :D

I would stay on a cruise ship for political reasons if we were going to Aruba. That whole Natalee Holloway thing really upset me. I wouldn't even want to book a cruise going there.

On the fair-skinned note, I am always amazed at the amount of people that love baking in the sun for hours. I would think that #1) it would feel oppressive on the skin, and #2)it would cause redness and damage beyond belief.

Not sure how the Natalee Holloway thing is a political issue? :confused::confused::confused:

Places I'd have missed if I hadn't been willing to tender: Falkland Islands, Santorini, Portofino, Boca de Valera, Parintins, Isle Royale. And those are just some of the more uncommon ones. Some of the more exotic cruises, quite frankly some of the ports aren't big enough to dock, and you'd miss some really neat places.

Places I'd have missed if I hadn't been willing to tender: Falkland Islands, Santorini, Portofino, Boca de Valera, Parintins, Isle Royale. And those are just some of the more uncommon ones.

I enjoy tendering especially when we get bounced around some. It reminds me of my time in the Navy.

piper28 - I'm interested in hearing about your tender into Isle Royale. The only Isle Royale I'm aware of is in Lake Superior. Do you mean taking the Park Service boat out to the island? I mainly took the seaplane there except for one time taking a boat in from the Minnesota side.

Places I'd have missed if I hadn't been willing to tender: Falkland Islands, Santorini, Portofino, Boca de Valera, Parintins, Isle Royale. And those are just some of the more uncommon ones. Some of the more exotic cruises, quite frankly some of the ports aren't big enough to dock, and you'd miss some really neat places.
Bingo, I Totally Agree! Let's see, skip a cruise because we'd have to tender ashore in Bali??? Nope, not going to happen.

I actually kind of like the tenders! I tend to wait for the crowds to go though and will go to the island a bit later. It depends more on the island for me than if it's a tender or not if I will visit the island or stay on board.

Princess Cays is great for a beach day though! I did skip it last time I was there though but the weather wasn't the best and I opted for a pedicure at the spa instead. :)

The first time I had to take a tender I was concerned more with my getting seasick. I thought what the heck! I was nervous at first going over and when all said and done, going back I was enjoying the ride so much more. It was a bit challenging to get on and off though. :eek: But now since I have experienced it, I would do it again! Yeeehaa!:p

I enjoy tendering especially when we get bounced around some. It reminds me of my time in the Navy.

piper28 - I'm interested in hearing about your tender into Isle Royale. The only Isle Royale I'm aware of is in Lake Superior. Do you mean taking the Park Service boat out to the island? I mainly took the seaplane there except for one time taking a boat in from the Minnesota side.

Actually I'm referring to the one in French Guiana. I guess looking back, it's probably actually Ile Royale, dropping the s. Princess bills the stop as Devil's Island, but you actually visit Ile Royale, which is far more set up for tourism.

Archived