Nickle and Diming

doublebzz

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and was astonished to see a 25 cent charge to print out a boarding pass. So after paying outrageous rates for under-performing internet, HAL wants another quarter to print out your boarding pass. Give me a break!

There has been a 25 cent per page charge for printing as far back as I can remember. Whenever we have needed to print something while aboard, we have paid that charge and I never thought it objectionable.

Everyone wants low, low low fares but still wants what they want want want.

HAL is a for profit business.

Can't have low fares and then expect verything included. Doesn't work that way.

Cost of ink, cost of paper, cost of printer, times how many travelers, times how many boarding passes, times how many ships times 25 cents....... = $$

How was your cruise? Is that the only thing worthy of comment? Please share about your cruise.

Thanks if you choose to do that.

Edited by sail7seas

You know I am the first to object when I see quality going downhill, but, I have to say that his charge is very reasonable IMO. If you are at a hotel and want something printed there is also a charge. It is usually around $1 or more at most hotels I have stayed at so I really don't have an issue with this at all. This has been around as long as I can remember so it's nothing new.

Now, I don't like to be nickel and dimed - but paper and ink do cost money. The only people that print for free that I know of are those doing name tags and other stuff for the meet and greet;) But they do it for the love of the cruise and not for profit;)

Where do you get free printing?

Crystal. Comes down to "You can pay me now (in the fare) or you can pay me later. I enjoy the free printing but would pay the quarter a page in a heartbeat.

Roy

There has been a 25 cent per page charge for printing as far back as I can remember. Whenever we have needed to print something while aboard, we have paid that charge and I never thought it objectionable.

Everyone wants low, low low fares but still wants what they want want want.

HAL is a for profit business.

Can't have low fares and then expect verything included. Doesn't work that way.

Cost of ink, cost of paper, cost of printer, times how many travelers, times how many boarding passes, times how many ships times 25 cents....... = $$

How was your cruise? Is that the only thing worthy of comment? Please share about your cruise.

Thanks if you choose to do that.

I know there is a charge for printing and I have no problem with charging for general printing tasks. On NA, at each console, there was a sign indicating a printing charge specifically for boarding passes. I'm sorry, but the added revenue to HAL for boarding passes probably amounts to $50-$100 per cruise. I would guess most guests use printing solely for boarding passes so I would ask if the small additional revenues are worth creating the impression that HAL is a chintzy cruise line. At least, it created that impression in my mind even though I didn't require boarding passes.

The cruise was great. Very cordial and interesting fellow guests plus perfect weather ion the crossing contributed to that assessment.

I'm sorry, but the added revenue to HAL for boarding passes probably amounts to $50-$100 per cruise.
I think purpose of the printing charge is not to make money, but to discourage frivolous or large-volume printing. Besides, it's not HAL getting the fee, it's MTN/Seamobile. Edited by jtl513

Probably barely covers the costs of paper, ink, internet time. A wash for HAL; a convenience you chose for yourself, but not a necessity. Boarding passes can be easily printed in the terminal for free. Users of this onboard service exclusive to just them, reasonably should pay for it.

25 cents is a bargain. Probably LESS than cost given the price of ink cartridges.

I think we paid 50 cents when we did it on Celebrity a few years ago....

I am not too worried about charges like that.

Edited by iancal

Probably worth a lot more but that's not the point.

So could you kindly explain how something "worth a lot more (than its cost)" can also fall into the category of "nickel and diming"? My personal defiinition of that overused cliche is when a company chooses to generate a revenue stream for itself tied to an essential and/or unavoidable activity; bank service charges are the first example that comes to mind. Printing one's boarding pass the day before flying for a domestic flight is nowhere near a mandatory task, no matter what the airlines' websites declare.

Edited by fishywood

I was more upset to waste precious cruise time battling slow internet service and a faulty printer in my attempts to print a boarding pass. My wasted time was worth much more to me than a $.25 charge would have been. Check in online and print your pass at the airport.

I believe most of the responses miss the point here which is style over substance. If each console in the internet cafe had a sign that read "Printing 25 cents a page"; I wouldn't have started this thread. However, the signs address specifically boarding passes. Why? Two reasons come to mind: (1) HAL is informing guests they offer the convenience of printing passes on board which, I think, most folks know. (2) HAL is using the signage to market boarding passes on board to increase revenue. If this is the case and even if the cost is negligible, it adds to the increasing list of revenue producers such as specialty coffees, bingo games, slot tournaments, not so duty free shops, wine tastings, $150 tours of the engine room, once a cruise rummage sales on the Lido Deck, among others. It creates an ambiance less of a cruise and more of a floating Walmart. I'm not mocking anyone who participates in these activities as I do as well; but when it comes down to a 25 cent charge for printing a boarding pass, I say again: Give me a break!

I believe most of the responses miss the point here which is style over substance. If each console in the internet cafe had a sign that read "Printing 25 cents a page"; I wouldn't have started this thread. However, the signs address specifically boarding passes. Why? Two reasons come to mind: (1) HAL is informing guests they offer the convenience of printing passes on board which, I think, most folks know. (2) HAL is using the signage to market boarding passes on board to increase revenue. If this is the case and even if the cost is negligible, it adds to the increasing list of revenue producers such as specialty coffees, bingo games, slot tournaments, not so duty free shops, wine tastings, $150 tours of the engine room, once a cruise rummage sales on the Lido Deck, among others. It creates an ambiance less of a cruise and more of a floating Walmart. I'm not mocking anyone who participates in these activities as I do as well; but when it comes down to a 25 cent charge for printing a boarding pass, I say again: Give me a break!

I guess you missed my point. Printing cost paper and ink. Why should HAL or anyone else absorb this? I honestly don't think they offer this to increase revenue - if they were the price would be MUCH higher. I think it is done for convenience for their passengers for those who need the service.

I could be wrong - I have been before - but I know what paper and ink cost and I don't think this cost is onerous.

That's just my opinion of course.

There are other things that I could debate that are nickel and diming but this is certainly not one of them IMO.

I think purpose of the printing charge is not to make money, but to discourage frivolous or large-volume printing. Besides, it's not HAL getting the fee, it's MTN/Seamobile.

I use the internet a lot while on a cruise for various reasons. Mostly, due to my wife's employment. That said I think what I am about to say can be substantiated by many users of the internet on HAL ships The internet speed is slow....very slow. My guess is that you use 75-80% of the time you bought just loading pages and you are charged an absorborant fee for the privledge of using their internet. Your telling me MTN can't absorb a 25 cent charge to print out a boarding pass after the fees they charge? You got to be kidding me. MTN charges the 25 cents because their the only show in town! It has nothing to do with keeping fares low. They (MTN) do it because they can get away with it. Doublebzz you and I are not going to win this one on this thread but your point is well taken. I can also tell you that I frequent Marriott Hotels and yes you can print your boarding pass for free. In fact some have dedicated computures for that purpose with sign on screens that list many different carriers and you just "click" and it brings you to the carriers site.

bob

I'm pretty sure it's HAL that's getting the fee, not MTN. It's HAL that's supplying the paper, the toner, the wear and tear on the printers, and they are the ones who have costs to recover. MTN is doing the very expensive job of launching satellites and in the end they do get the fees for the access time, but I doubt if they do for printing.

Roy

<snip> I can also tell you that I frequent Marriott Hotels and yes you can print your boarding pass for free. In fact some have dedicated computures for that purpose with sign on screens that list many different carriers and you just "click" and it brings you to the carriers site.

Nothing is free Bob. Hotel guests are simply paying for it indirectly through higher room rates. HAL could do the same thing, but has opted to charge an individual user fee rather than to pass on the associated costs to all passengers. Is one system better than the other? I'm not sure, but then again, I really don't care: I lose more 25 cent pieces in the couch than I spend printing boarding passes! :D

... and you are charged an absorborant fee for the privledge of using their internet. Your telling me MTN can't absorb a 25 cent charge to print out a boarding pass after the fees they charge?
Not at all. I just said it's not HAL getting the fee.

I'm pretty sure it's HAL that's getting the fee, not MTN. It's HAL that's supplying the paper, the toner, the wear and tear on the printers, and they are the ones who have costs to recover.
I don't think so. It's a concession. The Internet Manager is not even a HAL employee. Edited by jtl513

"If" printing a boarding pass was "free" . . . who would police the printer to make sure it was actually a boarding pass and not a memo from your boss . . . or the joke of the week ? IMO, if HAL charges 25 cents per page . . . then they need to charge it for every page printed.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I guess you missed my point. Printing cost paper and ink. Why should HAL or anyone else absorb this? I honestly don't think they offer this to increase revenue - if they were the price would be MUCH higher. I think it is done for convenience for their passengers for those who need the service.

I could be wrong - I have been before - but I know what paper and ink cost and I don't think this cost is onerous.

That's just my opinion of course.

There are other things that I could debate that are nickel and diming but this is certainly not one of them IMO.

Agreed and I would add that somebody has to buy the printer and pay to keep it in good repair.

I know there is a charge for printing and I have no problem with charging for general printing tasks. On NA, at each console, there was a sign indicating a printing charge specifically for boarding passes. I'm sorry, but the added revenue to HAL for boarding passes probably amounts to $50-$100 per cruise. I would guess most guests use printing solely for boarding passes so I would ask if the small additional revenues are worth creating the impression that HAL is a chintzy cruise line. At least, it created that impression in my mind even though I didn't require boarding passes.

The cruise was great. Very cordial and interesting fellow guests plus perfect weather ion the crossing contributed to that assessment.

You are making an incorrect assumption.

You seem to assume the only printing guests on the ships are doing are boarding passes but that is far from the case.

DH has to stay in touch with his office when we travel and on many cruises, he has the need to print out material e-mailed to him. Having access to a printer is important to some guests for more reasons that 'JUST" boarding passes. One needs to look beyond themselves to others needs and wishes. DH has more than once printed a 50+ page document. Should HAL not charge him for that? Should they provide free printing for Boarding Passes only? Ten Pages? Fifteen? How many pages should they provide for free?

If DH is printing many pages, he is not the only one I am very sure.

Edited by sail7seas