Would you do it??

Cruise Raider

I was lucky enough to book E729 on the Golden Princess later this year. I marked it as a no upgrade. We are about a month out and see there are still over 20 full suites available (very few booked) -- but one of which is a window suite on deck 6 - the most forward one next to the women's bathroom and cigar bar. (I think it is deck 6).

We've never sailed in a suite before -- that might just ruin everything for me -- but the perks are so awesome.

Would you take the chance of putting in for a meta upgrade. The meta is where they cannot move us to a different mini on the Dolphin deck -- only to a full suite. I think the window suites would be included.

Do you believe my chance are good for getting an upgrade to a full suite -- and if so, maybe one that is not the window suite. This cruise will bump us up into the Elite status -- was wondering if they looked at your past passenger status in determining upgrades? Do they usually bump the mini suite passengers up to a suite or do they start from the inside cabins and go up from there?

Do they look to see if you are celebrating a special occasion? Maybe no secrets out there -- just curious what you would do -- apply the meta upgrade to the reservation??

What is a "meta upgrade"?...the term in new to me.:o

It is an upgrade in which they can only assign to you a room in the next full category only -- like a guarantee but only Inside to OV or better, OV to Balcony or better, Balcony to Mini-suite or better, Mini-suite to full suite.

They started this about 2 years ago -- guess an upgrade from E729 to a mini on the Dolphin deck way up in front would actually be a downgrade in many people's eyes, even though more expensive if you booked it that way originally.

OK...thanks. To me that is a 'real' upgrade.

From what I have read here, upgrades to suites come from minis, and rarely, if ever, from a balcony. It does not seem to have anything to do with status or special occasions.

I would do that "meta" if a window suite would suit you.

OK...thanks. To me that is a 'real' upgrade.

From what I have read here, upgrades to suites come from minis, and rarely, if ever, from a balcony. It does not seem to have anything to do with status or special occasions.

I would do that "meta" if a window suite would suit you.

So, E729 is a covered mini on the Emerald deck. The balcony is extra-large and actually allows you to see the side as well as the aft of the ship. On the Star Princess, it is E731 -- both of which are on the starboard side so you don't get the noise from the lounge below. It would be very cool to be a suite without the option of putting us in a worse location of the ship in another mini.

I think the one window suite left is not an upgrade -- which is why I am hesitant -- however, not really sure of all the suite perks so might be worth it. Decisions, decisions!!

So, E729 is a covered mini on the Emerald deck. The balcony is extra-large and actually allows you to see the side as well as the aft of the ship. On the Star Princess, it is E731 -- both of which are on the starboard side so you don't get the noise from the lounge below. It would be very cool to be a suite without the option of putting us in a worse location of the ship in another mini.

I think the one window suite left is not an upgrade -- which is why I am hesitant -- however, not really sure of all the suite perks so might be worth it. Decisions, decisions!!

There are lots of threads here detailing all the perks of suites, and the Princess website also lists the perks.

Enjoy the decision making.

I was lucky enough to book E729 on the Golden Princess later this year. I marked it as a no upgrade. We are about a month out and see there are still over 20 full suites available (very few booked) -- but one of which is a window suite on deck 6 - the most forward one next to the women's bathroom and cigar bar. (I think it is deck 6).

We've never sailed in a suite before -- that might just ruin everything for me -- but the perks are so awesome.

Would you take the chance of putting in for a meta upgrade. The meta is where they cannot move us to a different mini on the Dolphin deck -- only to a full suite. I think the window suites would be included.

Do you believe my chance are good for getting an upgrade to a full suite -- and if so, maybe one that is not the window suite. This cruise will bump us up into the Elite status -- was wondering if they looked at your past passenger status in determining upgrades? Do they usually bump the mini suite passengers up to a suite or do they start from the inside cabins and go up from there?

Do they look to see if you are celebrating a special occasion? Maybe no secrets out there -- just curious what you would do -- apply the meta upgrade to the reservation??

I don't think there is a rhyme or reason with upgrades. We had booked a basic balcony cabin second time cruising with Princess and received an upgrade 10 days before sailing to a full suite. I think it had something to do with our T.A. Putting in a word with the local Princess Rep for the Bay Area region or something. We booked with a big name agency, so maybe that played a role, maybe not

Is E729 the end mini on aft? If so. We once had the comparable cabin on the starboard side and really loved that cabin

If it were me, I would stay in the mini. Have paid for a full suite in the past and had the free upgrade, but truthfully, it just wasn't that big of a deal for the difference in Price. The bathrooms were nice, but the actual cabin space was short and fat , as opposed to long and skinny with a mini. The one great thing was the huge balcony with room to entertain, but e739is a big balcony

The big perk used to be unlimited Internet but they took that away. However, you already get free Internet as an Elite/Plat

You get a little bar setup and can order room service from the full menus, too. We never drank he bar offerings, never used Internet and never dined in, so the perks didn't really benefit us

Edited by 4cats4me

FWIW, we received a complimentary upgrade 2 years ago on the Crown; booked E731, upgraded to E 732 (full suite). Was a little upset when my TA called about the upgrade until I realized the upgrade was to a full suite. The suite and the percs were wonderful!

I don't believe that you would be upgraded to a window suite if you have a mini. It appears that Princess has primarily shifted from complementary upgrades from minis to suites and instead offer an upsell of about $300/person which is not a bad deal. Friends were offered that type of upsell on a Hawaii cruise late last year and we accepted an upsell from and Emerald deck covered mini to a full suite on the Emerald in June.

BTW, F301 is a small window suite and definitely the least desirable one. If you search CC for "F301 photo" you should find my photos we took on turn around day. The accessible WS, F315 might also be available but would no show as available unless you searched for accessible cabins. We were on the wait list for a WS on the Golden last year and were assigned that cabin. Not a bad cabin but no whirlpool tub. I have photos of that cabin also on CC. WS are often priced about the same as minis.

Princess upgrades where they have unsold higher priced cabins and can more easily sell a lower priced cabin.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I don't believe that you would be upgraded to a window suite if you have a mini.

I agree but for a different reason.

No one has ever posted being upgraded from a room with a balcony to a window suite since the window suite does not have a balcony.

In fact, people have posted they were afraid such an upgrade might be made.

I don't think there is a rhyme or reason with upgrades. We had booked a basic balcony cabin second time cruising with Princess and received an upgrade 10 days before sailing to a full suite. I think it had something to do with our T.A. Putting in a word with the local Princess Rep for the Bay Area region or something. We booked with a big name agency, so maybe that played a role, maybe not

Is E729 the end mini on aft? If so. We once had the comparable cabin on the starboard side and really loved that cabin

If it were me, I would stay in the mini. Have paid for a full suite in the past and had the free upgrade, but truthfully, it just wasn't that big of a deal for the difference in Price. The bathrooms were nice, but the actual cabin space was short and fat , as opposed to long and skinny with a mini. The one great thing was the huge balcony with room to entertain, but e739is a big balcony

The big perk used to be unlimited Internet but they took that away. However, you already get free Internet as an Elite/Plat

You get a little bar setup and can order room service from the full menus, too. We never drank he bar offerings, never used Internet and never dined in, so the perks didn't really benefit us

E729 is not a true aft mini...it is the one at the very end on the starboard side. The only upgrade I wouldn't be happy with is the window suite, especially seeing the only one left seems to be on the small side. It really isn't the size, though -- it is the lack of balcony. The majority of the suites are open....cannot believe how few are sold. There are a lot of minis open as well. It is a short cruise and the price is decent (not great) but the gov fees certainly add to the price.

The window suite is a few hundred more but the full suites are about 3 times as much as the mini. I would never pay that for a cruise where I could go in a nice balcony with all the perks for an entire week. But, with that attitude, I may never experience a full suite. Well, haven't decided yet but at least the room I originally chose would be quite nice.

I don't believe that you would be upgraded to a window suite if you have a mini.
I agree but for a different reason.

No one has ever posted being upgraded from a room with a balcony to a window suite since the window suite does not have a balcony.

In fact, people have posted they were afraid such an upgrade might be made.

We are in agreement. What was unsaid in my post was:

I don't believe that you would be upgraded to a window suite if you have a mini because I haven't heard of posts reporting an upgrade from a cabin with a balcony to a WS.

E729 is not a true aft mini...it is the one at the very end on the starboard side. The only upgrade I wouldn't be happy with is the window suite, especially seeing the only one left seems to be on the small side. It really isn't the size, though -- it is the lack of balcony. The majority of the suites are open....cannot believe how few are sold. There are a lot of minis open as well. It is a short cruise and the price is decent (not great) but the gov fees certainly add to the price.

The window suite is a few hundred more but the full suites are about 3 times as much as the mini. I would never pay that for a cruise where I could go in a nice balcony with all the perks for an entire week. But, with that attitude, I may never experience a full suite. Well, haven't decided yet but at least the room I originally chose would be quite nice.

Then e729 on the Golden is what we had on the Sapphire, e731. Those are good cabins

If you do go for the full suite, I highly recommend the corner vista suites on e,era,d or dolphin above you. They are wonderful.

I have never read of anyone being upgraded from a mini to a window suite. I don't think Princess would do it without prior approval because they know most people book mini's because they want a balcony. I'm sure they know most people would come back and complain. I would and have put in for a meta upgrade from a mini to a full suite. I'll do it again in the future. Emerald mini's are highly sought after. It is possible that someone who really wants one will encourage Princess to see if they can find them one. You never know. I was upgraded to a full suite on the Golden for an upcoming cruise and I'm very happy. I've never even been in a suite and probably never will get one again. If it were me, I'd go for it.

On the Golden last month, we were originally booked in E729. We were upgraded to a full suite (S708). We were given all the amenities of a full suite, including breakfast at Sabatini's and free dinner 1 night in either the Crown Grill or Sabatini's. The only thing we didn't get was the double cruise credit for the suite.

In answer to if we were celebrating anything - No. And the most cruised on Princess for any of us was 2x before this cruise.

I keep crossing my fingers for an upgrade from my mini to a full suite. I have been in a mini numerous times, 3 times in E 731 and once in E730. Never an offer to go to a full suite. (sigh) You would think someone would want my cabin at some point.

I keep crossing my fingers for an upgrade from my mini to a full suite. I have been in a mini numerous times, 3 times in E 731 and once in E730. Never an offer to go to a full suite. (sigh) You would think someone would want my cabin at some point.

We booked a mini guarantee and got assigned 2 weeks ago to the only mini on the ship we did not want, yup D733 (on the Golden). No tub and "twin beds only" (although I have read here that that can be remedied). All the cabins are marked as sold, except for 4 suites. Wishing, wishing, wishing...:D

Maybe, the upgrade fairy will strike at the last minute??

We booked a mini guarantee and got assigned 2 weeks ago to the only mini on the ship we did not want, yup D733 (on the Golden). No tub and "twin beds only" (although I have read here that that can be remedied).

I suspect the "twin beds only" is true or it would not be indicated as such on the deck map.

You didn't say where your cruise is going.

We are huge balcony lovers and have sailed in the cabin you currently have booked but usually like the truly aft ones for the peace and quiet.

If the weather might be cold or cool where you are sailing I'd put in for that mega-upgrade because it's possible it might not be great to be on your wonderful balcony anyways.

Keep in mind, even if they do upgrade you , you can always move to any other cabin still available in that new category .

We just sailed a short cruise in an aft Vista Suite on the Golden and ,while that huge aft balcony was wonderful, it was only really warm enough to enjoy it one day. The other cool days I loved having the full couch in the spacious cabin to sit and relax on.

I suspect the "twin beds only" is true or it would not be indicated as such on the deck map.

Found a picture of the beds pushed together on one of the CC threads when I was doing research about the cabin (don't recall where it was). The OP said it created a difficult pathway to the balcony, but it is possible. I plan on posting a picture pre and post (if successful) showing original layout and rearranged layout.

You didn't say where your cruise is going.

We are huge balcony lovers and have sailed in the cabin you currently have booked but usually like the truly aft ones for the peace and quiet.

If the weather might be cold or cool where you are sailing I'd put in for that mega-upgrade because it's possible it might not be great to be on your wonderful balcony anyways.

Keep in mind, even if they do upgrade you , you can always move to any other cabin still available in that new category .

We just sailed a short cruise in an aft Vista Suite on the Golden and ,while that huge aft balcony was wonderful, it was only really warm enough to enjoy it one day. The other cool days I loved having the full couch in the spacious cabin to sit and relax on.

Thanks everyone. I think this is the most important factor...might be too cold to enjoy the balcony that much anyway. I am going to go for it and keep my fingers crossed. PS -- the window suite is no longer available -- doesn't mean one will not open up but it is not showing any availability and as a matter of fact, the mini's on the dolphin deck midship are showing at a higher cost.

So....everyone keep those fingers crossed please!! And...hope this doesn't ruin me for life because we wouldn't be able to afford one ever again. :D

Thanks everyone. I think this is the most important factor...might be too cold to enjoy the balcony that much anyway. I am going to go for it and keep my fingers crossed. PS -- the window suite is no longer available -- doesn't mean one will not open up but it is not showing any availability and as a matter of fact, the mini's on the dolphin deck midship are showing at a higher cost.

So....everyone keep those fingers crossed please!! And...hope this doesn't ruin me for life because we wouldn't be able to afford one ever again. :D

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

I am jealous.;)

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

I am jealous.;)

So, I will be happy if I am sailing in the room I chose, many not quite as happy if a window suite opens up and they do assign me to that for some strange reason, but a really happy camper if I get the upgrade. Good thing I don't have too much longer to wait to see. :D