Vouchers are here to stay

cruising teacher

Talking about whining about something they are giving away :rolleyes:

If you do not like Celebrity system, go back to RCCL

It was drinks in a lounge from 5 to 7 , or vouches 5-7 that has not change

I would rather see them give Elites a 50% discount of the classic/ premium package as a perk

Let me understand this - if I suggest a change to a current perk, I'm whining and should not cruise on Celebrity. If you suggest a change, it's perfectly fine. Tough to follow your logic.

Our post was reacting to other posts in this thread. We also hope it's not true as we are loyal patrons of the daily Elite parties. On our next X cruise (in 2 weeks) we have the drink package....but still would attend many of the daily cocktail parties to socialize.

Hank

Hank, please report back on your experience. Thanks in advance.

We have had many great evenings socializing at the Elite Cocktail parties and it was always a great venue to meet other cruise lovers and make new friends. Although the vouchers are a great benefit, we will still miss those daily social events.

Hank

You can still set up meetings at the bar or take your drinks to meet in the lounge albeit, the people would have to be organised from the CC rollcall.:D

We have just returned from the Eclipse TA. We had vouchers but the Elite Lounge was still open with appetizers and visits from Officers. The only difference was that coupons were taken there instead of unlimited drinks, but the variety was better since it was the same as the Classic package. The lounge was well used, but not overcrowded. Some evenings we went there, other times we visited different bars. Drinks could be taken from the lounge, so it was possible to take a glass of wine to dinner. Many people seems to like this system, especially those who were travelling with non elite friends.

Sheila

We have just returned from the Eclipse TA. We had vouchers but the Elite Lounge was still open with appetizers and visits from Officers. The only difference was that coupons were taken there instead of unlimited drinks, but the variety was better since it was the same as the Classic package. The lounge was well used, but not overcrowded. Some evenings we went there, other times we visited different bars. Drinks could be taken from the lounge, so it was possible to take a glass of wine to dinner. Many people seems to like this system, especially those who were travelling with non elite friends.

Sheila

Was the sky lounge (with the food) restricted to elite's only during the event or could anyone use that venue?

Sheila

We just got off Reflection TA and had the same experience. Some days we would spend 1 hour in the Sky Lounge, then head to the Sunset Bar for the 2nd hour since we had great weather during the crossing. There were always folks on the Roll Call passing around their extra vouchers, so no one ever went without. I didn't think I would like the vouchers either, but now I am converted. ;):D

Anyone could go to the Sky Lounge as there were no guards at the entrance.

Edited by Wine-O

When we were on the Summit in September we had the vouchers. The Sky Lounge was open for us to use them there and appetizers were provided. The hostess and her assistant were at the door to make sure only Elite were allowed in there. Of course we could have used a variety of other bars on board too. We loved being in the Sky lounge especially with the view when we were sailing away from Port.

Seems to me that the best way is to have the skylounge for the Elites (for now) but to also have the vouchers to use there or anywhere else.:D

Congrats, since I believe that you have again won the award for the most daily posts on the Celebrity board. Lois R is close behind, but you are the winner.

Sheila

Same on our Infinity T.A.

Only 'problem' for me was that I was unable to benefit from the nibbles, as we were on first sitting dinner.

There was a banner at the entrance to say it was for 'Elites' but I know someone who was Select, who was already in the lounge and they weren't asked to leave.

My DH said the chairs were uncomfortable though, so most of the time we went to the Rendezvous Lounge- nowhere near so far to walk to dinner!!!

Edited by upwarduk

Same on our Infinity T.A.

Only 'problem' for me was that I was unable to benefit from the nibbles, as we were on first sitting dinner.

There was a banner at the entrance to say it was for 'Elites' but I know someone who was Select, who was already in the lounge and they weren't asked to leave.

My DH said the chairs were uncomfortable though, so most of the time we went to the Rendezvous Lounge- nowhere near so far to walk to dinner!!!

We were on the same TA and I never saw anything that said the constellation lounge was only for elites. There also was no one watching at the door.

Just also back from the Reflection Nov. 1 TA and first time experience with the voucher system.

Count me in as one who really likes the vouchers, great to have freedom of choice from 10 bars to choose from including the Martini Bar. :cool:

I am not going to complain about any benefit Celebrity wants to give me for free. That said, I nevertheless have opinions. If vouchers are the future (and I think that's just fine), then I think the time and venue restrictions are silly. How about at the beginning of each cruise, people who are at Elite level get X number of free drinks loaded onto their sea pass and they can use them whenever they want (limiting the $$ amount per drink is reasonable). If they want three today and none tomorrow, what the heck is the difference. If they want to order in the MDR instead of ordering in a lounge and carrying a drink into the MDR what's the difference? There could still be a 'meet and greet' type of event with officers and maybe hors d'oeuvres to satisfy the need to mingle and personally interact. If another CC level is added, it could allow more drinks, or perhaps a separate gathering.

Might this be slightly more costly for Celebrity? Perhaps. So I'll offer another suggestion that won't be popular with everyone. Since in my scenario there is no 'event' involved, there is no need to give these free drinks to people who are not Elite who just happen to be in the same cabin. They are welcome to join their Elite traveling partners in the lounges or wherever but they can buy their own drinks. After all, this is a benefit the Elite passenger earned; they did not. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Just also back from the Reflection Nov. 1 TA and first time experience with the voucher system.

Count me in as one who really likes the vouchers, great to have freedom of choice from 10 bars to choose from including the Martini Bar. :cool:

Where do you get the vouchers? Are thy in your room or do you get to meet everyone the first night and then they hand them out? Thanks!

I am not going to complain about any benefit Celebrity wants to give me for free. That said, I nevertheless have opinions. If vouchers are the future (and I think that's just fine), then I think the time and venue restrictions are silly. How about at the beginning of each cruise, people who are at Elite level get X number of free drinks loaded onto their sea pass and they can use them whenever they want (limiting the $$ amount per drink is reasonable). If they want three today and none tomorrow, what the heck is the difference. If they want to order in the MDR instead of ordering in a lounge and carrying a drink into the MDR what's the difference? There could still be a 'meet and greet' type of event with officers and maybe hors d'oeuvres to satisfy the need to mingle and personally interact. If another CC level is added, it could allow more drinks, or perhaps a separate gathering.

Might this be slightly more costly for Celebrity? Perhaps. So I'll offer another suggestion that won't be popular with everyone. Since in my scenario there is no 'event' involved, there is no need to give these free drinks to people who are not Elite who just happen to be in the same cabin. They are welcome to join their Elite traveling partners in the lounges or wherever but they can buy their own drinks. After all, this is a benefit the Elite passenger earned; they did not. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Sounds fair enough to me as well.:D

So does that mean this is definitely in place for all cruises? I want the Elite event!

We got off the Equinox this morning, there were no vouchers, since we travelled with two non elites we didn't attend in the lounge so vouchers would have been good :D

If they are using vouchers on your cruise, they now notify you prior to the cruise. If you haven't had any emails from celebrity, you won't have vouchers.

How far ahead of your cruise? We have finally made elite and I am a little disappointed if we don't have the happy hour that we 'worked so hard' for. My understanding from my friends all elite was that the happy hour was unlimited. I don't know that I would necessary drink more than 3 but it's nice to have the option.

Just off Summit two weeks ago. We were NOT told in advance about the vouchers, but we received them in our cabin the first day. Social Hour was at Michaels Club and we were required to turn in a voucher to get a drink there, at least that's how it worked for us.

Where do you get the vouchers? Are thy in your room or do you get to meet everyone the first night and then they hand them out? Thanks!

After many Celebrity cruises, we finally had vouchers on our Reflection transatlantic cruise just a few weeks ago. Going into the cruise, we knew we would be issued vouchers. Celebrity sent us an email informing us of this. We were completely against them, but went into the cruise with an open mind. We also like the Happy Hour atmosphere in the Sky Lounge, so hated the thought of a change. After the muster drill we had a BIG sailaway party on the back of the ship at the Sunset Bar. At the sailaway in Civitavecchia the temperature was about 75 degrees! Perfect! The get together was great. After about an hour in the Sky Lounge the second night, a bunch of Elite members (over 1100 on this sailing) decided to go to the back of the ship and have a drink or two at the Sunset Bar. Again, another perfect evening. Temps in the mid 70's. From that night forward, we never went back to the Sky Lounge. The trend caught on and the Sunset Bar became so swamped, they had to add bartenders every night! The weather didn't hurt either. Not one day of rain and temps never got lower than the upper 70's at night and very little wind. We even went out there on formal nights.

My point is, fun is where you make fun! We're now big fans of vouchers. And the funny thing is, no one ever went without a drink! If you ran out of vouchers, someone would give you one...or two... or three! LOL!

20pluscruises, all the vouchers for the cruise are in your cabin upon arrival. They are dated and a different color for each day.

Hope our experience helps!

SDT & MDT

Edited by SHill64

How far ahead of your cruise? We have finally made elite and I am a little disappointed if we don't have the happy hour that we 'worked so hard' for. My understanding from my friends all elite was that the happy hour was unlimited. I don't know that I would necessary drink more than 3 but it's nice to have the option.

The "old" happy Hour was unlimited, but your selection of drinks was very limited. Two different beer selections and two different whisky selections for example.

After many Celebrity cruises, we finally had vouchers on our Reflection transatlantic cruise just a few weeks ago. Going into the cruise, we knew we would be issued vouchers. Celebrity sent us an email informing us of this. We were completely against them, but went into the cruise with an open mind. We also like the Happy Hour atmosphere in the Sky Lounge, so hated the thought of a change. After the muster drill we had a BIG sailaway party on the back of the ship at the Sunset Bar. At the sailaway in Civitavecchia the temperature was about 75 degrees! Perfect! The get together was great. After about an hour in the Sky Lounge the second night, a bunch of Elite members (over 1100 on this sailing) decided to go to the back of the ship and have a drink or two at the Sunset Bar. Again, another perfect evening. Temps in the mid 70's. From that night forward, we never went back to the Sky Lounge. The trend caught on and the Sunset Bar became so swamped, they had to add bartenders every night! The weather didn't hurt either. Not one day of rain and temps never got lower than the upper 70's at night and very little wind. We even went out there on formal nights.

My point is, fun is where you make fun! We're now big fans of vouchers. And the funny thing is, no one ever went without a drink! If you ran out of vouchers, someone would give you one...or two... or three! LOL!

20pluscruises, all the vouchers for the cruise are in your cabin upon arrival. They are dated and a different color for each day.

Hope our experience helps!

SDT & MDT

I have a question. You jumped all over some poor guy who said he asked if there were any discounts in the specialty restaurants but you think nothing of people passing their vouchers around to others? Sounds like a good reason for Celebrity to stop handing them out. The vouchers are supposed to be for the person to whom they are issued.