Oceania versus Azamara

flydc

We just returned from a 10 day Italian Escapade cruise on Oceania Marina. First time on O with our 2 previous cruises on Azamara. Here's our thoughts on how the 2 stack up.

Food: Winner Oceania

Oceania wins for more specialty restaurants and the fact they are included in the cruise fare. No extra charges (except for Privee and La Reserve). Red Ginger was amazing. Great food, great atmosphere. Loved the ability to select your tea from a long list (loved the white tea) and they present a box of chopsticks for you to choose your preference from a variety. Grand Dining Room was quite nice – but I actually prefer Azamara for their dining room menus. Oceania GDR was a bit too high style – although you can always get Steak Frites or a chicken dish. The Waves snack bar on Oceania has a much better selection than Azamara’s snack bar – but Azamara’s stays open longer and offers a changing menu with “sausage of the day” and offers hot pretzels for an afternoon snack. Waves has a great surf & turf sandwich with lobster and beef filet slices.

Ship: Winner Oceania

It’s hardly fair to compare the aged (although renovated) Azamara Journey to the practically new Oceania Marina. That being said, the Journey is much lighter and brighter after its renovation. The Marina is a beautiful ship and wins hands down. In addition to much larger cabins, the public spaces are well maintained and very, very comfortable. For example, there are cushions on all pool lounge chairs on Marina whereas on Azamara only those on the pool deck have cushions. Those on the upper deck do not.

Shore Services: Winner Azamara

Azamara wins this category hands down. On Oceania, we waited almost 2 hours one day for a tender to go ashore. Painful. Complete lack of organization. Never, ever waited on Azamara. In addition, Oceania didn’t provide nearly as many port shuttle buses. In a few ports, they were offered by the port and Oceania made it clear they had no control over the bus – although they seemed to take credit for offering them. Where they were offered made no sense. For example, they offered a free bus in Kotor where it was easy to get to town (and cheap if you wanted to take a cab) but in Taormina they did not offer a bus – even though it was very difficult (and expensive) to get to the town. Azamara offered shuttle busses almost everywhere and it was done flawlessly. Azamara also wins based on their “free” Azamazing Evening event. I’ve never seen 600+ people put on busses, brought to an amazing event, and then brought back so flawlessly. Oceania could learn a bit from Azamara here.

Excursions: Winner Azamara

The prices on Oceania’s excursions were crazy so we didn’t sign up for any. (Even the “on your own” excursions where they took you by bus to the city center were over $100 per city – NUTS!) On both Azamara cruises we took a few excursions. Good value for money and small groups – so quite enjoyable.

Cabins: Winner Oceania

Its hardly fair to compare the two – as Marina is only 2 years old compared to the aged Journey. The cabin storage space on Azamara was better (closet had a better layout) but the cabins on Marina are larger and more roomy. The bathroom on Marina was 1000% better than Journey. A nice sink and shower AND a bathtub! On Journey the shower curtain is rude!

Crew: Winner Azamara

While the crew on Oceania were quite nice, they weren’t nearly as friendly as Azamara. From the cabin steward to waiters, they did a fine job but didn’t really get to know you. The bar staff on Oceania was exceptional. Would rank the bar staff on Azamara and Oceania the same high level. The officers on Azamara wouldn’t walk by you without a hello or starting a conversation. Officers on Oceania (all levels) were standoffish and even announcements from the Captain were awkward.

Entertainment: Tie

Both equally poor. Oceania had a larger, nicer theater but the shows were of similar quality to Azamara.

Spa: Tie

Both had a nice spa. Oceania offers Canyon Ranch while Azamara is “no-name”. Both were quite good. I think Oceania was a bit too expensive – but it was also a nicer facility.

Amenities: Winner Azamara

I don’t recall the brand of in room amenities on Azamara but they were very nice and were branded. On Oceania we were in a concierge level room, which offered Bulgari green tea amenities. They were nice. Azamara wins this category based on one simple fact. Oceania advertises “signature Belgian chocolates” with turndown service. These ‘signature chocolates’ are like the mints you would find at a standard Marriott or Hyatt. In other words, nothing special and certainly nothing to call out in a brochure. On Azamara, everyone gets chocolate truffles or similar each night presented on a china plate in your cabin. (Should also mention that only suites and above on Oceania get evening canapés upon request – where everyone can get them on Azamara. Same thing with hot breakfast – suites/concierge only on Oceania – everyone on Azamara.) Finally, Azamara offers free laundry where its $4 per load ($2 wash/ $2 dry) on Oceania. Even though this is inexpensive, it’s the point that they even bother to charge that pushes my buttons.

Overall: Winner Azamara

While we enjoyed Oceania, we would choose Azamara over Oceania if the price was similar. That being said, for the deal we got – we would definitely sail with Oceania again.

We just returned from a 10 day Italian Escapade cruise on Oceania Marina. First time on O with our 2 previous cruises on Azamara. Here's our thoughts on how the 2 stack up.

Oceania wins for more specialty restaurants and the fact they are included in the cruise fare. No extra charges (except for Privee and La Reserve). Red Ginger was amazing. Great food, great atmosphere. Loved the ability to select your tea from a long list (loved the white tea) and they present a box of chopsticks for you to choose your preference from a variety. Grand Dining Room was quite nice – but I actually prefer Azamara for their dining room menus. Oceania GDR was a bit too high style – although you can always get Steak Frites or a chicken dish. The Waves snack bar on Oceania has a much better selection than Azamara’s snack bar – but Azamara’s stays open longer and offers a changing menu with “sausage of the day” and offers hot pretzels for an afternoon snack. Waves has a great surf & turf sandwich with lobster and beef filet slices.

It’s hardly fair to compare the aged (although renovated) Azamara Journey to the practically new Oceania Marina. That being said, the Journey is much lighter and brighter after its renovation. The Marina is a beautiful ship and wins hands down. In addition to much larger cabins, the public spaces are well maintained and very, very comfortable. For example, there are cushions on all pool lounge chairs on Marina whereas on Azamara only those on the pool deck have cushions. Those on the upper deck do not.

Azamara wins this category hands down. On Oceania, we waited almost 2 hours one day for a tender to go ashore. Painful. Complete lack of organization. Never, ever waited on Azamara. In addition, Oceania didn’t provide nearly as many port shuttle buses. In a few ports, they were offered by the port and Oceania made it clear they had no control over the bus – although they seemed to take credit for offering them. Where they were offered made no sense. For example, they offered a free bus in Kotor where it was easy to get to town (and cheap if you wanted to take a cab) but in Taormina they did not offer a bus – even though it was very difficult (and expensive) to get to the town. Azamara offered shuttle busses almost everywhere and it was done flawlessly. Azamara also wins based on their “free” Azamazing Evening event. I’ve never seen 600+ people put on busses, brought to an amazing event, and then brought back so flawlessly. Oceania could learn a bit from Azamara here.

The prices on Oceania’s excursions were crazy so we didn’t sign up for any. (Even the “on your own” excursions where they took you by bus to the city center were over $100 per city – NUTS!) On both Azamara cruises we took a few excursions. Good value for money and small groups – so quite enjoyable.

Its hardly fair to compare the two – as Marina is only 2 years old compared to the aged Journey. The cabin storage space on Azamara was better (closet had a better layout) but the cabins on Marina are larger and more roomy. The bathroom on Marina was 1000% better than Journey. A nice sink and shower AND a bathtub! On Journey the shower curtain is rude!

While the crew on Oceania were quite nice, they weren’t nearly as friendly as Azamara. From the cabin steward to waiters, they did a fine job but didn’t really get to know you. The bar staff on Oceania was exceptional. Would rank the bar staff on Azamara and Oceania the same high level. The officers on Azamara wouldn’t walk by you without a hello or starting a conversation. Officers on Oceania (all levels) were standoffish and even announcements from the Captain were awkward.

Both equally poor. Oceania had a larger, nicer theater but the shows were of similar quality to Azamara.

Both had a nice spa. Oceania offers Canyon Ranch while Azamara is “no-name”. Both were quite good. I think Oceania was a bit too expensive – but it was also a nicer facility.

I don’t recall the brand of in room amenities on Azamara but they were very nice and were branded. On Oceania we were in a concierge level room, which offered Bulgari green tea amenities. They were nice. Azamara wins this category based on one simple fact. Oceania advertises “signature Belgian chocolates” with turndown service. These ‘signature chocolates’ are like the mints you would find at a standard Marriott or Hyatt. In other words, nothing special and certainly nothing to call out in a brochure. On Azamara, everyone gets chocolate truffles or similar each night presented on a china plate in your cabin. (Should also mention that only suites and above on Oceania get evening canapés upon request – where everyone can get them on Azamara. Same thing with hot breakfast – suites/concierge only on Oceania – everyone on Azamara.) Finally, Azamara offers free laundry where its $4 per load ($2 wash/ $2 dry) on Oceania. Even though this is inexpensive, it’s the point that they even bother to charge that pushes my buttons.

While we enjoyed Oceania, we would choose Azamara over Oceania if the price was similar. That being said, for the deal we got – we would definitely sail with Oceania again.

Thanks for the post. We too did Azamara (Quest in S. America) then Oceania (Marina in N. Europe). We actually liked Oceania better than Azamara as we felt it was the "goldilocks" ship in that it wasn't too small yet not too big. Both are excellent cruise lines and I wouldn't hesitate to do another Azamara sailing, however we are in love with the Marina. The people, food, cooking classes, etc. Just a very nice ship. We didn't have any tender ports, so I can't speak to that but I will say Azamara did a fantastic job with the MANY tenders (and some very long ones) in S. America.

On another note - Azamara provides "About Rose" toiletries, which I have to agree are very, very good. O's weren't bad, though.

Thanks for the comprehensive review.

We'll stay with Oceania since we don't do ship excursions and

don't look to socialize with the officers.

So glad there is a cruise line for all tastes.

+2

good thing everyone has choices in life ;)

Thanks for the review. It's always good to read reviews of O and other lines.

I have cruised both lines but I sailed on the Marina. Had I sailed on one of Oceania's R class ships, I could make a more accurate comparison. So for me to say one is better than the other would be unfair. Both lines provide a great experience and are more alike than different. Food is equal. Service is top notch on both. We do prefer the smaller size of the R ships over the larger Marina. Perhaps I should sail on the Nautica. I am always up for another cruise. Purely is the interest of fairness.

…Port shuttle buses ... Where they were offered made no sense ... in Taormina they [Oceania] did not offer a bus – even though it was very difficult (and expensive) to get to the town.

There's something going on with Taormina. Crystal has recently stopped offering a shuttle bus there too.

There's something going on with Taormina. Crystal has recently stopped offering a shuttle bus there too.

Totally agree, being used to Azamara shuttles we were very taken aback that there was no shuttle in Taormina. It cost 25 euros each way in a taxi, three weren't very many taxis available not like other ports where the was a line of them.

The only valid comparison is R to R ship IMO

You cannot even make a valid comparison between the O & R ships on Oceania! LOL Two different animals

For those interested, I recently sailed on Azamara for the first time and did a comparison between the R ship experience on both lines. I like both lines and I am sailing on both as you can see from my signature. Each line has strengths and weaknesses -- none of the weaknesses is a deal breaker for me.

Here is a link to my comparison if anyone is interested -- post #1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910285

The only valid comparison is R to R ship IMO

You cannot even make a valid comparison between the O & R ships on Oceania! LOL Two different animals

This is very true. We personally felt the verandah staterooms on the R-class ship were a weeeee on the tiny side.... I surmise that it would be the same size stateroom on O's R-class ships?

This is very true. We personally felt the verandah staterooms on the R-class ship were a weeeee on the tiny side.... I surmise that it would be the same size stateroom on O's R-class ships?

Identical

The big change will be seen after the 2014 refurbishing of OCeania's R ships.

Are they changing the size of the staterooms? I thought it was more of a refresh/common area update. There are some Asia cruises on the R ships that we have been eyeballing, and a suite is just too pricey for us so we have been hesitant to book those but if they bump the room size up a bit... perhaps! :)

Are they changing the size of the staterooms? I thought it was more of a refresh/common area update. There are some Asia cruises on the R ships that we have been eyeballing, and a suite is just too pricey for us so we have been hesitant to book those but if they bump the room size up a bit... perhaps! :)

From what O has posted the staterooms will all remain the same sizes they are now. Spring for an Owners Suite and you'll have all the room and perks you

could possibly want.

The staterooms will be redecorated more in keeping with the look of Marina and Riviera. The grill will be introduced and a baristas. It is going to make the O R ships more appealing IMO than the Azamara R ships.

It is but my $64,000 (now more like 2 Million $) question is this:

Are the veranda cabins on the O ships really larger than on the R ships?

Yes, I know, the given sq. footage is larger but most (if not all) of that is in the new BR of the O cabin.

I would like to see PURE sq. footage of those 2 cabins ONLY (no BR, no balcony). I suspect many people would be surprised how close they are.

We all know that the storage IS better in the R veranda cabins :)

This may be a good question for FDR (or meow :D).

PS The PH and above are definitely larger on the O ships.

Edited by Paulchili

It is but my $64,000 (now more like 2 Million $) question is this:

Are the veranda cabins on the O ships really larger than on the R ships?

Yes, I know, the given sq. footage is larger but most (if not all) of that is in the new BR of the O cabin.

I would like to see PURE sq. footage of those 2 cabins ONLY (no BR, no balcony). I suspect many people would be surprised how close they are.

We all know that the storage IS better in the R veranda cabins :)

This may be a good question for FDR (or meow :D).

PS The PH and above are definitely larger on the O ships.

Righto, Paulchili. For those who like to hang out in their bathrooms while in their cabins, the O ships are wonderful but closet and drawer space layout is inferior IMO. However, the common areas and specialty restaurants are so nice that I will tough it out by sailing on Riviera twice next year!:)

Edited by CintiPam

Righto, Paulchili. For those who like to hang out in their bathrooms while in their cabins, the O ships are wonderful but closet and drawer space layout is inferior IMO. However, the common areas and specialty restaurants are so nice that I will tough it out by sailing on Riviera twice next year!:)

Not to mention the 2 extra restaurants and the wonderful Terrace grill.

It's a tough job sailing on the O class ships but you are truly brave and I am sure you'll be just fine! :D

I would like to see PURE sq. footage of those 2 cabins ONLY (no BR, no balcony). I suspect many people would be surprised how close they are..

My estimate is that the width of the standard cabins on the O class ships is pretty close to the width of the R class. In other words, the distance between the foot of the bed and the wall is about the same. he, it's why the closets are not across from the bathroom -- the extra width of the bathroom in the same space proscribes that. However, the length of the cabin is greater. The "living" space is a little larger, allowing a slightly larger table and a slightly wider sofa. However, most of that extra length is taken up by having the closets next to the bed.

In other words, the actual bare floor space is about the same, and the "feel" is the same, even though the total measurement is almost 50% larger.

Count us among those who don't care for the O class closet arrangement and wish they had never included the bathtub, and would love a slightly larger walk-in shower instead. We like the O ships (Marina and Riviera) better overall, and definitely if we spring for a penthouse, but we like the R class closet arrangement better, and don't mind the shower curtain. We'll be six months in a C1 Ocean View on Insignia for the World Cruise.

I think the balcony sizes are about the same for the standard rooms. We always get those slanted extended B3 balconies (7008 and 7009) if possible as they are huge. So far so good as we have 7008 on our British Isles cruise in July and 7008 for our Sydney to Auckland in Feb '15. What I didn't like about the R class was the shower. You have to admit it's a pain if you are 200lbs and six feet tall. Also, being able to both shower at the same time was nice (one in the tub and the other in the shower). Also, we really loved the culinary classes. Took every single one on our last cruise.