Allure to take Oasis dry dock slot?

The USS Gerald Ford was just christened days ago in the dry dock #12 in Newport News,VA. She should be moved shortly to a fitting out dock.

This leaves dry dock #12 empty until they start assembling the new USS John Kennedy.

It would take the Allure two days to get from Port Everglades to VA. If the part(s)are availlable, she could conceivably be repaired while only missing 2 weeks of cruises.

(Once the keel is laid for the Kennedy, dry dock #12 won't be available until at east 2018!)

Aloha,

John

Interesting.

Sorry, some of you are basing your information on "1Northstar'" who has only 68 posts and states he has reliable source. The most reliable source I have is the news article in Travel Weekly, which has Mr Fain saying there is a possibility that Allure is going to take Oasis's spot in Rotterdam. No where does it say that they are thinking of a February dry dock, except what "1Northstar" posted.

From past experirence how much of a heads up does Royal Caribbean have to give people who's cruise may be affected by the Allure going into drydock unexpectedly?

The USS Gerald Ford was just christened days ago in the dry dock #12 in Newport News,VA. She should be moved shortly to a fitting out dock.

This leaves dry dock #12 empty until they start assembling the new USS John Kennedy.

It would take the Allure two days to get from Port Everglades to VA. If the part(s)are availlable, she could conceivably be repaired while only missing 2 weeks of cruises.

(Once the keel is laid for the Kennedy, dry dock #12 won't be available until at east 2018!)

Aloha,

John

This would be an obvious option. Newport News Shipbuilding could definitely do the work on Allure if the dry dock is available. That particular dry dock can hold 2 aircraft carriers if needed as it can be sectioned off to 2 separate docks.

No way am I guaranteeing that this would take place but I don't think the possibility could be ruled out.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Eng23

rumor or not, there is reason for concern. "something" is in the works. one news source has come out saying something, and RC has not come out to comment on it. You'd think they'd quickly make a statement saying, "...this is untrue, we have no interest in putting AOS into an early drydock" -- right? am i crazy to think that?

i'm uneasy for our 3/30/14 trip, i cant log onto the reservation online - i get this message: "The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation."

its been like that for 3 days, might be time to call and see what's up.

I seem to be able to make reservations for AOS for both Feb, March and April.

I think we need to keep a close eye on this, not speculate too much and relax...

[COLOR=black]We have a cruise scheduled in April. This morning I was able to get into my reservation without any trouble.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I'm just going to wait and see what happens. But I hope I don't have to wait much longer.[/COLOR] :D

[quote name='dpmfloyd']rumor or not, there is reason for concern. "something" is in the works. one news source has come out saying something, and RC has not come out to comment on it. You'd think they'd quickly make a statement saying, "...this is untrue, we have no interest in putting AOS into an early drydock" -- right? am i crazy to think that?

[COLOR="Red"]i'm uneasy for our 3/30/14 trip, i cant log onto the reservation online - i get this message: "[B]The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation."[/B][/COLOR]
its been like that for 3 days, might be time to call and see what's up.[/QUOTE]

That's just part of a widespread problem with the web site. I get the same message on both my booked cruises.

[quote name='GPoll189']Both STX France and STX Finland. However, STX France has Oasis 3 in its dry Dock and STX Finland has another new build in theirs.[/quote]

But they won´t go to Turku anyway due to the Great Belt Bridge which has to be passed (and acutally the Allure/Oasis are taller than the bridge clearance and can only pass under the bridge with some "magic").

steamboats

[quote name='steamboats']But they won´t go to Turku anyway due to the Great Belt Bridge which has to be passed (and acutally the Allure/Oasis are taller than the bridge clearance and can only pass under the bridge with some "magic").

steamboats[/QUOTE]

It would of justified the extra expense for the retractable stack! But agree it won't be there.

[quote name='GPoll189']Sorry, some of you are basing your information on "1Northstar'" who has only 68 posts and states he has reliable source. The most reliable source I have is the news article in Travel Weekly, which has Mr Fain saying there is a possibility that Allure is going to take Oasis's spot in Rotterdam. No where does it say that they are thinking of a February dry dock, except what "1Northstar" posted.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like they were providing reliable information afterall.

[quote name='steamboats']But they won´t go to Turku anyway due to the Great Belt Bridge which has to be passed (and acutally the Allure/Oasis are taller than the bridge clearance and can only pass under the bridge with some "magic").

steamboats[/QUOTE]

But they both have already cleared the belt bridge and can easily do it again. They were built there.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']For all of the speculators.......

[URL]http://www.cruisecurrents.com/article/14362[/URL][/quote]
Thanks for that link. I'm not second guessing here but, I did not think there was a dry dock big enough at Grand Bahama Shipyard for the Oasis or the Allure. I learn something new everyday I guess.....

I am selfishly happy to see that my Oasis TA is not in any way affected. And, it is good that only one sailing has to be cancelled--I also did not realize they could do the work in the Bahamas.

[quote name='GPoll189']Sorry, some of you are basing your information on "1Northstar'" who has only 68 posts and states he has reliable source. The most reliable source I have is the news article in Travel Weekly, which has Mr Fain saying there is a possibility that Allure is going to take Oasis's spot in Rotterdam. No where does it say that they are thinking of a February dry dock, except what "1Northstar" posted.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm--that polite poster who had some info? He was correct. I am curious to see if you have the class to at least show up and apologize for the rude posts you made about all of "us people" (sadly, my money is on "no")

I am also selfishly happy that our cruise is not cancelled. We are booked on the February 9 cruise with Allure and I'm really glad that I don't have to change all my bookings again like last September during the gov. shutdown when we wanted to visit some Nationalparks...

[quote name='Eng23']Thanks for that link. I'm not second guessing here but, I did not think there was a dry dock big enough at Grand Bahama Shipyard for the Oasis or the Allure. I learn something new everyday I guess.....[/quote]

There isn't one. The longest drydock there is 310m long which is far too short for Allure. However, Voyager class and Freedom class have both done drydock there and they both exceed that length. But... they are floating dry docks so maybe they can handle the length as long as the beam fits, which it does. :confused:

[URL]http://grandbahamashipyard.com/facilities/drydocks/[/URL] Edited by tahqa

[quote name='lyndamr']The Oasis dry dock is scheduled for routine maintence Sept-Oct 2014.

I do not believe that they will switch the dry dock schedules between the Oasis and the Allure. The Oasis will need her dry dock she will be five years old next year.

I am hoping the Allure will be put in dry dock to fix her azipod, its possible...read that RC is considering to do this in the next few months I just don't know when that will happen as there is no concrete plans yet. I do hope it be before my May cruise, but I would assume they most likely if this will happen, have her go during the winter months ( Jan to maybe early March) due to the fact its low season cruising. I doubt they will do this from April on as that is high season, its just my guess that is if they fix the propulsion problem.

If your booked the week the ship goes in dry dock RC has the right to cancel that cruise. I am sure those who are cancelled will get their total refunds and maybe a discount maybe so some type for their next cruise. I just hope it will be planned out far in advance so that those who have purchased airfare will be able to get their refunds but then again, if you don't book airfare through the cruise company, RC is not liable if one has any fees or looses their money on airfare, this is why its wise to get trip insurance especially if your going on the Allure.[/quote]The "five year rule" is not written in stone. Allure could very well switch drydock times with the Oasis next August.

[quote name='Thetrail']The "five year rule" is not written in stone. Allure could very well switch drydock times with the Oasis next August.[/quote]Missed the earlier post! The good news is it's only one week, the bad news is anyone who has the Feb 24th booked! Life happens, stuff happens,...K.O.:)

My sympathies go out to our fellow cruisers that have had their plans for a great February vacation cancelled.

RCI's offer of a 100% refund seems sub-standard to me. I know if I had to change flights on Delta there would be a $400 ($200/ticket) change fee. Plus if I had specifically reserved a certain Aft cabin. Then there is the specific other cruise restriction. I could end up paying more for a replacement cruise! If I booked on board for the OBC would that also be transferred to the new cruise? And what about my C&A balcony discount? Booking within 6 months reduces that discount.

[quote name='steveru621']My sympathies go out to our fellow cruisers that have had their plans for a great February vacation cancelled.

RCI's offer of a 100% refund seems sub-standard to me. I know if I had to change flights on Delta there would be a $400 ($200/ticket) change fee. Plus if I had specifically reserved a certain Aft cabin. Then there is the specific other cruise restriction. I could end up paying more for a replacement cruise! If I booked on board for the OBC would that also be transferred to the new cruise? And what about my C&A balcony discount? Booking within 6 months reduces that discount.[/QUOTE]

Once the bumped passengers get their actual offer from RCI I am pretty sure it will compensate flight changes, etc. It seems they have been good with that in the past. Since this is all so new all of the details are probably still being worked out.

I do feel bad for those passengers, though. It would be very disappointing to have to change all of your plans this close to sailing. I agree about losing primo cabins. We all have our favorites. That is one reason I book very early. The downside to early booking is that I have had several cruises cancelled by the cruise lines, although not this close to sailing. We have never had to deal with airline changes, for example. Edited by Sunny AZ Girl