Why Do New Zealand Cruises Leave from Australia

donaldsc

I have been looking at doing a New Zealand cruise. Problem is that almost all of the New Zealand cruises that I have found leave from and return to a port in Australia. I am trying to figure out the logic of this or why the cruise companies do this. Leaving from and returning to Australia means that you waste 5 days as sea days that could be spent seeing places in New Zealand.

Does anyone have any idea why this is done.

DON

I have been looking at doing a New Zealand cruise. Problem is that almost all of the New Zealand cruises that I have found leave from and return to a port in Australia. I am trying to figure out the logic of this or why the cruise companies do this. Leaving from and returning to Australia means that you waste 5 days as sea days that could be spent seeing places in New Zealand.

DON

Might be for convenience of Australians as cruise critic says New Zealand cruises are favoured by Australians

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=1345

DON

I don't know for sure but my thought would be the size of the country. New Zealand only has a small population (under 4.5 million) compared to Australia's 22.5 million. Sydney as a city has the same number of people as the whole of New Zealand! I suppose it is possible to have cruise ships based in NZ that try to attract an international customer base but not sure of the logistics of that. I would think the majority of people who cruise NZ live in Australia, with others from NZ, USA, etc.

Anyway, that is my thought :)

Jennie

DON

You will find the Dawn Princess does do some Auckland - Auckland Cruises around NZ, plus Celebrity Solstice and Diamond Princess Auckland - Sydney and v.v.

Hope that helps

Most companies do cruises that leave from both NZ and Australia. They usually take 14 days to go Australia to NZ, then reverse the itinerary and go NZ to Australia. That works for most people.

If you just want to see NZ, you do know that you can't see a lot of it just by cruising. Like most cruises, the port days only give you a sampling of the town and countryside near the port.

If you really want to see just NZ, it's much better to take a land tour,.

DON

Love those sea days just to relax and perhaps meet up with others. Would not be a very social cruise if all days were port days. Besides it's actually only 4 sea days plus 1 day cruising and sightseeing the fiords which can't really be done any other way.

There are not that many port options in Australia alone so the addition of NZ ports makes for a more interesting itinerary combo.

Anyway, isn't NZ an extra state of Australia?:D:rolleyes: But shhh don't mention this to the Kiwis:eek:

Hugh

DON

Your post made me smile because next year I'm "wasting" 2 weeks to get to New Zealand (14 sea days between California and NZ).....but then I'm renting a car and spending 10 days on land to visit the country -- even then, I'm only going to be on the North Island.

I love sea days to enjoy cruising, and love land vacations to see new places.

Another reason that many cruises do both NZ and Australia is because visitors from other countries (US in particular) see coming "downunder" as being a long flight.

Therefore, having made the decision to tale that long flight, they want to see both countries "while they are there".

Your post made me smile because next year I'm "wasting" 2 weeks to get to New Zealand (14 sea days between California and NZ).....but then I'm renting a car and spending 10 days on land to visit the country -- even then, I'm only going to be on the North Island.

I love sea days to enjoy cruising, and love land vacations to see new places.

I am so glad that you are taking time to really enjoy New Zealand. Many people think that, because it is so small, it is easy to see it all, top to bottom, in a week or two. So not the case!

Just hope you get the opportunity to come back and visit the South Island which, IMHO, is much more beautiful than the North Island. Both islands are very, very different. Of course, I might just be biased - although I now live in Australia, I was born and bred in New Zealand's South Island :)

Jennie

DON

Time permitting, suggest you fly into Auckland and do a land tour of the beautiful North Island prior to cruising to Sydney, then fly home. Not as many "wasted" sea days that way.

In time, I hope there will be more New Zealand cruises on smaller ships which allow more port stops at the smaller places.

I was just looking at the following NZ cruise company, which might be of interest -

http://www.islandescapecruises.com

We are boarding Solstice in Auckland, 14 days to Sydney. We will have a weeks post cruise in Sydney then fly back home to Auckland. On our roll call I have noticed that most Americans passengers are flying to NZ for a pre cruise stay of there choice then start the cruise, and do a post cruise in Aussie before they fly home. Not many would do a BTB Aussie NZ Cruise, but you can if you preferred.

Another reason that many cruises do both NZ and Australia is because visitors from other countries (US in particular) see coming "downunder" as being a long flight.

Therefore, having made the decision to tale that long flight, they want to see both countries "while they are there".

Agreed, it makes sense for most international visitors to see them together, by cruise. The one way cruises support that, enabling other sights to be taken before and after.

Demand driven, as is often the case.

Similar situation when we go to the northern hemisphere, long long flights. Looking forward to a trip to Europe and then Alaska/Canada next winter (ours) but not to the long flights at peak rates.

At least it's only a short flight across the ditch:)

Hugh

I guess it's also an easy way to make it an international cruise for duty free purposes, rather than having to find some obscure island in international waters to drop anchor at like they do with Aussie cruises and Willis Island.

Dawn Princess is doing a few cruises next year from Auckland to Auckland 7th/20th March and starting again in Oct 24th.. maybe they are listening as this is so much easier for the New Zealand cruiser and for anyone travelling to New Zealand and wanting to spend time here pre or post cruise.

DON

The love for cruising has spread to Australia as indicated by the increasing number of quality ships that now sail our waters.Australians in general have always loved to travel and the convenience of not having to fly long distances to overseas ports for good cruising is a great attraction.Australian & New Zealand are both wonderful countries to visit with lots to see & do.When cruises such as ours in March 2014 are already booked out it indicates that the cruise line knows its market.Our 12 night cruise has 4 sea days which for us is a good balance. Pre/post cruise travel within Australia is a must if you can, but do not underestimate the size of our continent - it is massive.

Why do Alaska cruises start in Canada?

Why do Eastern Canada cruises start in New York and Boston?

Why do Caribbean cruises start in Florida?

Why do Mexican Riviera cruises start in California?

Why do Hawaii cruises start in Seattle?

Why do Hawaii cruises start in Northern Mexico?

All for the same reasons that New Zealand cruises start in Australia.

...and some Australia cruises start in NZ.:)

One-way Alaska cruises begin or end in Canada, but many round-trip Alaska cruises depart from Seattle.

You can do a one-way cruise between Vancouver (Canada) and Honolulu (US). However, you can't do a one-way cruise between Seattle (US) and Honolulu (US) without making a distant foreign port stop - as it violates the PVSA. That's also why there are one-way cruises between Honolulu and Ensenada, Mexico rather than Honolulu and CA.

As has been mentioned, some one-way NZ cruises begin in Auckland and end in Australia. However, we're on the Jan. 20 Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Auckland, and we'll spend a few days in Sydney pre-cruise and Auckland post-cruise. After that - I'll spend 2 weeks touring the south island, then 10 days touring Tasmania. :)

One-way Alaska cruises begin or end in Canada, but many round-trip Alaska cruises depart from Seattle.

You can do a one-way cruise between Vancouver (Canada) and Honolulu (US). However, you can't do a one-way cruise between Seattle (US) and Honolulu (US) without making a distant foreign port stop - as it violates the PVSA. That's also why there are one-way cruises between Honolulu and Ensenada, Mexico rather than Honolulu and CA.

As has been mentioned, some one-way NZ cruises begin in Auckland and end in Australia. However, we're on the Jan. 20 Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Auckland, and we'll spend a few days in Sydney pre-cruise and Auckland post-cruise. After that - I'll spend 2 weeks touring the south island, then 10 days touring Tasmania. :)

Many Round Trip Alaska cruises also sail from Vancouver. There are many non-US cruisers who do not want to put up with all the hassles of joining or departing a ship in the USA.

Australia and New Zealand have their own versions of cabotage laws for foreign flag cruise ships, forcing the ships to go foreign. Another reason to start in another country.

Many Round Trip Alaska cruises also sail from Vancouver. There are many non-US cruisers who do not want to put up with all the hassles of joining or departing a ship in the USA.

Australia and New Zealand have their own versions of cabotage laws for foreign flag cruise ships, forcing the ships to go foreign. Another reason to start in another country.

Would you mind explaining this?

The New Zealand experience: New Zealand deregulated coastal shipping by removal of cabotage law with effect from February 1, 1995. There have been repeated efforts to reintroduce cabotage and, in 2004, the New Zealand government appointed a shipping industry review team to make a comprehensive study into the merits and demerits of reintroducing cabotage. The main conclusion drawn from the stakeholder analysis was that reintroduction would appear to have an overall net negative impact on the New Zealand economy and, hence, the liberalised environment still exists.

Source: The Economic Times. Sep 6, 2012

And . . .

"Thursday, 28 June 2012 22:51

Australia's recent passing of Shipping Reform Package bills has added weight to calls in New Zealand for the reintroduction of cabotage in order to prevent another 'Rena'-style shipping disaster."

Source: Baird Maritime

If you are coming from anywhere in the world except Oceania it is far easier to fly into Sydney then it is to Wellington. There is no comparison between the two cities when it comes to international air service. Far more airlines and flights come to Sydney. Could be one reason. Cost as well. Our business class seats to Sydney from Edmonton Canada are almost $1700 dollars cheaper each then I could find to Wellington.