Booking Too Early?

Snook

I always seem to face this dilemma. We decide what cruise we want to take, and when, usually at least six months in advance. The dilemma is: Do we book it now or wait to see if there is a sale on our cabin selection as the date of the cruise nears?:confused: I know they do have sales, but are those sales usually on less desirable cabins? We are looking at mid-May for an Alaska cruise. Thanks.

Air fare is an issue for your trip. If you book now, you can lock into the best price for your flights. Waiting longer will likely mean that what you saved on the cruise would be offset by higher airfare.

Sometimes you receive a credit to your on board spend. This would probably not be offered on the flash sale.

We usually book a 6 months to a year out. We always get any price drops up to the final payment date. And we avoid any price increases. :)

It does make the countdown wait a bit longer, but I look at it as more time to shop. :D

If it were me, I would book now and pick the cabin you want. Then you can always watch for price drops and take advantage of them if and when they happen.

We do the same, generally as far as a year in advance, then watch for price drops. We book direct with HAL and just call HAL for the new price. Just saved about $800 on our next cruise before final payment in January.

We usually book a long way out - well over a year - with few exceptions. More often than not, the price goes up but if they down you can take advantage of price drops up until final payment date.

Edited by startwin

In my experience, Alaska cruises have a different pattern than other cruises. By the time final payment rolls around, there can be deep discounts, but the balcony and suite cabins are gone. A lot of the cabins get booked up during the wave sales in January. If you want a balcony or suite cabin, book now and watch for sales or promotions. If you are OK with an inside or ocean view and are flexible in your dates, wait until after final payment.

If you're considering air fare, you might want to google 'when to book for cheaper rates.' I keep getting the answer that a 90 day window is about right. But I'll be the first to confess that we booked our spring 2014 trip to Italy months ago.

Odds are that HAL will offer enticements during January when most cruise lines offer sales. You would still have lots of cabin choices then unless you have a favorite you're hoping for.

We did Alaska last May - the plane excursions over snow covered mountains were wonderful.

Difficult to say. I always book a long way out and watch for price drops. On our recent TA cruise, the price dropped a huge amount by the time the ship sailed. It still didn't sail full. However, on most of our Caribgean cruises, the prices have either stayed the same or increased. Interestingly, the Veendam Boston/Boston cruise last summer increased a lot. I was holding out and gave up as I should have booked that one early!

We also book far out. We've had the fare go down but a more important factor for us is being able to get early fixed seating, and a table for 2. Our last cruise was the only one we booked on short (2 1/2 months), notice and we had to take open seating. We ended up being able to get the same table for two and servers but had to reserve at 5 or 5:15 which is much too early. Open seating is just not for us.

Difficult to say. I always book a long way out and watch for price drops. On our recent TA cruise, the price dropped a huge amount by the time the ship sailed. It still didn't sail full. However, on most of our Caribgean cruises, the prices have either stayed the same or increased. Interestingly, the Veendam Boston/Boston cruise last summer increased a lot. I was holding out and gave up as I should have booked that one early!

Based on what I am seeing now the TA and longer cruises seem to drop considerably close to departure, I saw a 35 day TA princess cruise in January about 75 percent off. So I guess it depends what kind of cruise you are looking at determines when you should book.

Like many posters have already written, we book early, select the cabin we desire and have usually gotten our first choice. As final payment draws near, we have our TA check prices. In all but one instance, we've gotten reductions, one quite sizeable.

If you don't care when you eat in the MDR or what type of cabin you end up with or the cabin's location, you might be better off waiting, especially during the "off season." By waiting, you also run the risk of not getting on the ship at all, since that cruise may be sold out. It's a gamble.

Air fare also plays a role, if you're traveling any distance. We booked in August for July 2014 Alaska. After we made the inital deposit, I started checking air fare to Seattle & on my third try I found a price below $300 for round-trip from Baltimore. I hit the purchase button before I could blink. Now the best fare I can find is $500-$700. Whatever we might have saved on the cruise fare later would probably have been eaten by an exorbitant air fare.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

Thanks all for sharing your experiences and suggestions. That's what I like about Cruise Critic, the vast amount of information that people are willing to share. I think we probably will go ahead and book the airfare now and wait until possibly late January to book the cruise, if I can stand it!!:)

Thanks all for sharing your experiences and suggestions. That's what I like about Cruise Critic, the vast amount of information that people are willing to share. I think we probably will go ahead and book the airfare now and wait until possibly late January to book the cruise, if I can stand it!!:)

Why wait? If the price goes down before final call and get the reduction. (If you are using a TA you might want to confirm if they have change fees though).

We book 6-10 months usually and join the RC. The months in advance of planning and getting to know others is enjoyable and I see it as an added entertainment value for the cruise. ( I get more entertainment and enjoyment for my cruise dollar..... :D )

Book when the cruise price is something you can live with if the price doesn't drop, be it a year out or a month out. Whe have had friends who paid more than they wanted to, counting on a price drop. Guess what? The price dodn't drop. The several hundred dollars they over paid too a lot of the luster off their cruise.

OK folks. I can't stand it!! I'm going ahead and book now. I'll enjoy the next six months planning, looking at the excursions, maybe join the roll call, and talking about the cruise with our traveling buddies. The excitement is starting to build already!!:)