Summit

mcrcruiser

What is the condition of Summit & does any one know when she was last in dry dock for a face lift ?

TIA:)

She went in to dry dock January 2012.

I know because we were on the cruise right before she went in.

:p

Back on her in a few weeks.... heard she'd in good shape!

zo9u9w.jpg

We were on her last month. The public rooms were in very good shape; but there were some maintenance items needed in our cabin. Also, the wood railings needed a lot of TLC. You can see photos of the Summit in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

The reviews on your website are wonderful - beautiful pictures and so much information - Thanks so much for sharing!

She is in great shape. Do not believe any of the negative reviews. We did a B2B on her Oct.19-26, and Oct 26-Nov2. After 0ver 80 cruises, we believe this was our best cruise yet.

Why shouldn't any negative reviews be believed? I think the site is called Cruise Critic and not Cruise Sycophant.

After spending about 235 days on Celebrity, after my last cruise this past May on Summit, we decided it was time to take a break from Celebrity for a while.

While we were disappointed in the extremely mediocre food in the main dining room and buffet, the significant problems were in our cabin.

None of the aft veranda cabins on deck 7 had bathroom ventilation. Because of this, if the bathroom was used for what bathrooms are usually used for, we would usually open the veranda door. The bottom foot of the shower stall had rusted out and was covered in layers of peeling paint and there was mold growing in the corners of the stall and under the light fixture. The shower would run from cold to scalding and back numerous times a minute.

The front desk and hotel manager were aware of the situation on our deck but offered no remedial solutions.

So ... don't paint with a big brush. You may have had a great time but please don't speak for everyone else and discount other people's valid complaints.

Why shouldn't any negative reviews be believed? I think the site is called Cruise Critic and not Cruise Sycophant.

After spending about 235 days on Celebrity, after my last cruise this past May on Summit, we decided it was time to take a break from Celebrity for a while.

While we were disappointed in the extremely mediocre food in the main dining room and buffet, the significant problems were in our cabin.

None of the aft veranda cabins on deck 7 had bathroom ventilation. Because of this, if the bathroom was used for what bathrooms are usually used for, we would usually open the veranda door. The bottom foot of the shower stall had rusted out and was covered in layers of peeling paint and there was mold growing in the corners of the stall and under the light fixture. The shower would run from cold to scalding and back numerous times a minute.

The front desk and hotel manager were aware of the situation on our deck but offered no remedial solutions.

So ... don't paint with a big brush. You may have had a great time but please don't speak for everyone else and discount other people's valid complaints.

What cabin #? We are in an aft cabin (NOV 2014) on this deck and would not be pleased with what you described. I can take old, but not dirty. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Full90

We were in FV 7204 for the October 19th repo cruise and, thankfully, did not experience any of the bathroom issues that Dr. Cocktail described. Yes, the wood railings showed wear in spots, and some of the meals in the MDR lacked the pizzazz of the past, but would not hesitate to sail her again - enjoy!

What cabin #? We are in an aft cabin (NOV 2014) on this deck and would not be pleased with what you described. I can take old, but not dirty. Thanks in advance.

I know for sure that the bathroom fan wasn't working on 7206, 7208, 7212 and 7203.

Now that was 6 months ago ... has the problem been corrected?

Don't know. It was obvious from the amount of rust and mold that it had been going on for quite some time.

As "yucky" as that was, I could have lived with that if it wasn't for the crazy temperature fluctuations. According to the Hotel Manager, the required parts had been ordered at that time.

It was interesting ... three months later I boarded the similarly aged Azamara Quest and our bathroom looked almost brand new. It's not the age of the ship as the amount of ongoing maintenance.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

We have been on her for four sailings, most recently for a B2B last January. We thought she was in great shape with a couple of caveats. I recall noticing some rust on the indoor pool - could not understand why that had not been redone while she was in dry dock for solsticization. And the wooden railings were being refinished. They would remove a few from the public areas and refinish them up in the area where the staff hot-tub used to be. Other than that, we had no real complaints (other than the normal problems when someone tosses something down the toilet and clogs the entire "stack").

j

We were in 7208 in August for a cruise to Bermuda. The stateroom was very nice, no smells, and a beautiful large balcony.... The food in the MDR was excellent, although the buffet was a challenge. The interior space were great, but I agree, the exterior spaces could have used some paint and varnish.

We were on her in October in the Penthouse. Yes, she is showing some wear and tear. As she has not been on dry dock since January 2012, she could use some TLC in places. However, that being said, we had a GREAT cruise, the food in Blu was great, and nothing was in such terrible shape that it would have caused us any distress.

Had 7206 for the Oct. 19th repo, (second cruise after the noro outbreak). The ship's public areas (and our cabin, for that matter) were as clean as any public space I have ever seen on a cruiseship. I give kudos to the crew for the enhanced cleaning after the noro outbreak. In my profession sanitation is paramount, so I know clean when I see it. Old is old and don't confuse old with unclean. After all the Summit is 13 years old.

We were on her last month. The public rooms were in very good shape; but there were some maintenance items needed in our cabin. Also, the wood railings needed a lot of TLC. You can see photos of the Summit in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Thanks so very much Mike for sharing all your wonderful photos & adventures:D . We read your New England /Canada cruise with a great deal of interest; as we are doing this cruise next Sept 2014;):D

Cliff

Back off and watch your tone. I can not stand you cyber bullies...you would NEVER talk to me like that face to face.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Thanks so very much Mike for sharing all your wonderful photos & adventures:D . We read your New England /Canada cruise with a great deal of interest; as we are doing this cruise next Sept 2014;):D

Cliff

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a great time on it next year.

I have been reading these posts with great interest since we will be sailing with Celebrity for the first time on the Summit on April 12th. I looked on the Celebrity website, and I don't see any March 8th sailing. I might be missing one, as I am far from an expert at navigating their website, but assuming there truly is not a cruise departing that day, could it mean the ship will be receiving some maintenance that week?

By the way, thank to those who posted links to their photos and videos. Very enjoyable and informative! :)

Kim

I have been reading these posts with great interest since we will be sailing with Celebrity for the first time on the Summit on April 12th. I looked on the Celebrity website, and I don't see any March 8th sailing. I might be missing one, as I am far from an expert at navigating their website, but assuming there truly is not a cruise departing that day, could it mean the ship will be receiving some maintenance that week?

By the way, thank to those who posted links to their photos and videos. Very enjoyable and informative! :)

Kim

Hi Kim, the ship is being charted that week.