RCCL Letter regarding cancelled Allure sailing

Loyal2RCCL

Dear Travel Partner:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your clients booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas. Please provide this information, as soon as possible, to your clients booked on this sailing.

Allure of the Seas has been experiencing excessive and unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship’s speed, we have had to limit the ship’s top speed. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear and will ensure that all of three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.

We have explored numerous repair options. Regrettably, there is no satisfactory solution that does not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service. We are very sorry to say that because of this, it will be necessary to cancel your client’s sailing in order to make the necessary repairs.

Royal Caribbean International will provide all guests booked on the February 23, 2014 sailing of Allure of the Seas with a full refund of their cruise fare paid. Cruise fare refunds will be automatically processed back to the original form of payment. Please allow two to three weeks for all transactions to be processed. Please note that our Travel Partners’ commissions will be protected for this sailing.

As an alternative, guests may move to the same stateroom category in any of the following sailings for the same cruise fare rate they paid for their February 23, 2014 sailing.

Allure of the Seas: February 2, 2014 or February 9, 2014 sailings

Oasis of the Seas: February 1, 2014, February 8, 2014 or February 22, 2014 sailings

Guests who choose this option will also receive a $200 per stateroom onboard credit for interior, oceanview, balcony and neighborhood staterooms, or a $400 onboard credit per stateroom for suites.

Also, if your client booked air transportation through Royal Caribbean International, they will receive a full refund. If your client did not purchase air transportation through Royal Caribbean International, we will assist them by paying for their airline change fee, up to $150. We ask that they please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas to the following address: Royal Caribbean International, Customer Service, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your clients. The desk opened on November 14, 2013 and will remain open until November 29, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28546

For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28623

Thank you for your assistance in notifying your clients about the cancellation of their February 23, 2014, sailing. We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation they were looking forward to. We understand that our guest’s vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

They should also have provided a OBC or some other bonus for the people who cannot make a different cruise that was listed. To just refund the money with no other "sweetener" is bad customer service!

[sarcasm=on] I agree lets take them for everything they have because of a mechanical issue on a machine! Poor customer service for not fixing it while the motor was running! I have only three months to plan another activity to use my time! UNACCEPTABLE! [sarcasm=off]

Point is really dude? Nothing lost why should you have something gained?

[sarcasm=on] I agree lets take them for everything they have because of a mechanical issue on a machine! Poor customer service for not fixing it while the motor was running! I have only three months to plan another activity to use my time! UNACCEPTABLE! [sarcasm=off]

Greed?

Even though I am not booked on this cruise here is the reason...

I take one grand week long vacation a year. If this were the week that I had taken off from work (mine and my wife's work schedule is such that we both have to plan long in advance for vacations), and I would not be able to take this vacation that I had planned for, I would seriously consider going to a different cruise line because of the fact that I cannot enjoy the vacation I had planned. Plus in the case of non-refundable airline tickets if I cannot make a different cruise I am out the total cost of the airline fare paid.

To me it is good customer service to offer some sort of "carrot" to customers to entice them to return back to RCCL. Yes, they are giving people who rebook on specific cruises an OBC, but what if you cannot or do not want to cruise on those specific cruises listed?

Keep in mind that an OBC probably costs RCCL about half the amount of OBC given. Drinks are a pure profit center, so if you spend the OBC on alcohol, they probably make out in the end anyways.

They should also have provided a OBC or some other bonus for the people who cannot make a different cruise that was listed. To just refund the money with no other "sweetener" is bad customer service!

It would be my guess, that if a person complained enough that they had to choose one of the cruises that was not part of the listed cruises that came with the OBC, they would get the OBC anyway.

RCCL doesn't want to lose a customer, in the end.

My reason for posting this is to give information on those affected by the cancellation... NOT to start a debate on how unfair RCCL is in their compensation offer.

I personally think they are being fair in their offer. They've given plenty of advance notice and for those that say they only have 1 specific week of vacation.. you can always cruise on Oasis leaving the same week and still receive a generous OBC.

Of course there will always be a certain few people that will never be happy with any amount of compensation.. but honestly.. if you're not affected by this cancellation, what difference is it to you what they offer? -- (Which BTW they're not obligated to give you anything in the first place)

I hope all those that have been affected find suitable arrangements on another cruise and enjoy their vacations.

It would be my guess, that if a person complained enough that they had to choose one of the cruises that was not part of the listed cruises that came with the OBC, they would get the OBC anyway.

RCCL doesn't want to lose a customer, in the end.

And you can certainly bet the farm there will PLENTY to do just that :rolleyes:

If I couldnt take one of the cruises offered, Id just want my money back. Thats just me though.

My reason for posting this is to give information on those affected by the cancellation... NOT to start a debate on how unfair RCCL is in their compensation offer.

I personally think they are being fair in their offer. They've given plenty of advance notice and for those that say they only have 1 specific week of vacation.. you can always cruise on Oasis leaving the same week and still receive a generous OBC.

Of course there will always be a certain few people that will never be happy with any amount of compensation.. but honestly.. if you're not affected by this cancellation, what difference is it to you what they offer? -- (Which BTW they're not obligated to give you anything in the first place)

I hope all those that have been affected find suitable arrangements on another cruise and enjoy their vacations.

like.png

The offer seems fair and they have done the right thing by paying for airline change fees!

Many airlines (if not all, since they tend to move in lockstep) have increased their change fees for domestic travel to $200. Other than that, I wouldn't expect them to offer more than they have. It's a fairly standard package when a cruise is cancelled.

I have a question that I hope you seasoned cruisers can help me with. I understand RCCL will pay the $150 change fee for airline tickets, but what happens if the new airline ticket I have to buy is more expensive than the one I originally purchased? Does RCCL pay the difference if I decide to take a cruise on a different date (February 8 or 22, for example)? Any help will be greatly appeciated. Thanks!

Edited by Hattrickjay

Even though I am not booked on this cruise here is the reason...

I take one grand week long vacation a year. If this were the week that I had taken off from work (mine and my wife's work schedule is such that we both have to plan long in advance for vacations), and I would not be able to take this vacation that I had planned for, I would seriously consider going to a different cruise line because of the fact that I cannot enjoy the vacation I had planned. Plus in the case of non-refundable airline tickets if I cannot make a different cruise I am out the total cost of the airline fare paid.

To me it is good customer service to offer some sort of "carrot" to customers to entice them to return back to RCCL. Yes, they are giving people who rebook on specific cruises an OBC, but what if you cannot or do not want to cruise on those specific cruises listed?

Keep in mind that an OBC probably costs RCCL about half the amount of OBC given. Drinks are a pure profit center, so if you spend the OBC on alcohol, they probably make out in the end anyways.

UHHH... since they've given affected passengers the option of taking the same length cruise on her sister ship leaving from the same port one day earlier at the same rate and in the same category + an OBC + paying the airline change fees, other than pure greed how would anyone expect them to do anything more:confused:

UHHH... since they've given affected passengers the option of taking the same length cruise on her sister ship leaving from the same port one day earlier at the same rate and in the same category + an OBC + paying the airline change fees, other than pure greed how would anyone expect them to do anything more:confused:

Let say that the earliest flight I could get was into FLL after 5 PM on Saturday? What would happen then? I most certainly could not take the Oasis.

Look, there are many reasons why the replacement cruise the day before would not be acceptable.

I just feel that since RCCL is giving OBC to people who change to new cruises, they should give OBC to those who rebook on a different cruise.

That would be fair in my mind!

I am one of those that had to rescedule and we are out $100 between two of us as someone stated domestic flight changes are $200. We are just grateful we were able to change to the 22nd on the oasis and we figure the $100 loss will be made up by the obc.We plan on enjoying our cruise even if its not the one we planned for.

I am especially grateful to cruise critic folks that posted about the cancellation as we didn't receive the email but were able to change last night before the phone lines got too busy. So thanks to all who keep us updated.

Edited by UtahCruise
Added more

Let say that the earliest flight I could get was into FLL after 5 PM on Saturday? What would happen then? I most certainly could not take the Oasis.

Port Everglades is one of the most accessible locations on the east coast. There are two major airports within an hour of the port (Palm Beach and Miami) and FLL is almost across the street.

Look, there are many reasons why the replacement cruise the day before would not be acceptable. One can manufacture almost any justification to rationalize what in reality is nothing more than a minor inconvenience, but in the end all that pops out of that rationalization is pure greed.

I just feel that since RCCL is giving OBC to people who change to new cruises, they should give OBC to those who rebook on a different cruise.

And I always wanted to be taller:rolleyes:

I am one of those that had to rescedule and we are out $100 between two of us as someone stated domestic flight changes are $200. We are just grateful we were able to change to the 22nd on the oasis and we figure the $100 loss will be made up by the obc.We plan on enjoying our cruise even if its not the one we planned for.

I am especially grateful to cruise critic folks that posted about the cancellation as we didn't receive the email but were able to change last night before the phone lines got too busy. So thanks to all who keep us updated.

That is a very REASONABLE cruiser who is already on "island time" laid back and ready to go cruisin. Kudos to you my friend by looking at the whole thing from a glass half full standpoint. Here's (holding up my virtual cocktail glass) to you, your health, and hoping you good wealth!!

Look, there are many reasons why the replacement cruise the day before would not be acceptable.

If none of the alternative cruises offered are acceptable to those affected for whatever reason, guess what??

They get a full refund of their money. What's unfair about that?

Royal is giving those affected:

Almost 3 months advance notice of cancellation.

Offering a full refund if you choose not to rebook.

If you accept their terms you get:

A cruise on a sister ship at the rate you originally booked.

$200 OBC or $400 if in a suite.

Airline change fees up to $150.

That is more than enough compensation IMHO.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Eng23

Other cruise lines have given full refunds and discounts for future cruises for cancelled cruises. Why can't RCCL do the same?

Because they presented the affected passengers with an infinitely more reasonable alternative. Which part of Cruise from the same port in the same week, on an identical ship, at the same cost, in the same cabin category with additional onboard credit, and reimbursement for airline change fees has you confused?

We were booked on this sailing also. This morning was HECTIC trying to get things changed around. We couldn't reach our TA, so I first called the C & A desk (we are Diamond +). The CSR tells me that since we are booked in a D6 now, and there are no D6's or below on the Oasis sailing we chose (2-1-14), we would have to pay the difference between the D6 & whatever balcony cabin is available. She was very rude, and I was already upset about the cancellation. I told her this is a whole different sailing & ship. How can we pay the difference? PLUS the fact that they were the ones that cancelled it. We should get at least an equal cabin, I'd think. While I was on hold, my Mom said our TA just called her & had called RCCL & gotten us moved to a higher category, but same type of cabin. We have to move from Deck 12 down to Deck 7....but at least we're on the cruise!!! I'm glad RCCL is fixing the ship but...the CSR's should know we're all worked up & be more helpful!! That's my complaint! Luckily....we have NOT booked flights first!!!!!