RCCL Letter regarding cancelled Allure sailing

Loyal2RCCL

Really? R.C. isn't doing enough for the inconvenience this has caused! 340.00 - Advanced Purchase hotel...non-refundable

207.00 - per ticket change fee, per person

If you booked non-refundable hotel and air.. perhaps you should have protected those investments with TRAVEL INSURANCE. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for those who have been cancelled. I hope you will each be able to make alternative arrangements on a cruise and have a wonderful time ... whether it be and RCI ship or another cruise line. I have yet to sail one of the Oasis class, but some day I'll take the plunge ... I hope each of you manage to sail another time on the Allure.

Because they presented the affected passengers with an infinitely more reasonable alternative. Which part of Cruise from the same port in the same week, on an identical ship, at the same cost, in the same cabin category with additional onboard credit, and reimbursement for airline change fees has you confused?

I would guess that some people can't travel until that Saturday, and that they have to travel a great enough distance that they wouldn't be able to arrive until late in the day.

They should also have provided a OBC or some other bonus for the people who cannot make a different cruise that was listed. To just refund the money with no other "sweetener" is bad customer service!

Bad customer service??? Really you make zero sense with this one...:rolleyes:

It would be my guess, that if a person complained enough that they had to choose one of the cruises that was not part of the listed cruises that came with the OBC, they would get the OBC anyway.

RCCL doesn't want to lose a customer, in the end.

I'm sure there are a few "customers" a cruiseline wouldn't cry over if they lost them....:rolleyes:

Really? R.C. isn't doing enough for the inconvenience this has caused! 340.00 - Advanced Purchase hotel...non-refundable

Thats your mistake for purchasing non refundable hotel, and or not having insurance, suck it up, live and learn from your mistakes...:eek:

We already had cancelled due to the final payment looming (went through a TA) and the DH was concerned if nothing was done to fix the azipod we would be at risk if there was a significant storm. (He worries about things like that)

So we missed out on this deal...darn:eek:

Would have loved to get even more OBC (already got a bunch from the TA) - oh well

Wow that is a bit rough. I do think ideally all non refundable cost should be covered, not just air change capped at $150. But it's hard for a blanket deal to cover everyone equally. Anyway you can always call RCCL up and ask. I hope they can make up something for you.

Worst case, take full refund and find another cruise on the same date.

Even worse than worst, spend a week in Florida. ;)

Note to self: no more non-refundable hotels.

Edited by mdwcruises

Yep...live and learn...going with Princess...the hotel on me completely I agree...but not the change in flight fee...that's ridiculous.

Have you talked to the hotel to see if they will adjust your dates? In the hotel industry, non-refundable doesn't necessarily mean non-negotiable.

Our Serenade of the Seas cruise in 2015 was cancelled by RCI and they gave us $200 OBC for rescheduling any cruise. We rebooked the Oasis. Not for the same price, of course. But we were much further out and no airfare was involved yet. I was very surprised, yet grateful we got the OBC. I have had a couple of cruises cancelled by Princess more than 8 months out and never received any compensation. I wasn't really expecting any since the cruises were so far away when they were cancelled.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Our Serenade of the Seas cruise in 2015 was cancelled by RCI and they gave us $200 OBC for rescheduling any cruise. We rebooked the Oasis. Not for the same price, of course. But we were much further out and no airfare was involved yet. I was very surprised, yet grateful we got the OBC. I have had a couple of cruises cancelled by Princess more than 8 months out and never received any compensation. I wasn't really expecting any since the cruises were so far away when they were cancelled.

Our Rhapsody 2015 cruise has been cancelled as well. You have to sort of wonder why they released them at all, if they are re-deploying various ships? We will also receive OBC, and no airfare is involved that far away.

Have you talked to the hotel to see if they will adjust your dates? In the hotel industry, non-refundable doesn't necessarily mean non-negotiable.

VERY true. And talk to hotel directly -- they've got a lot more latitude in making things work out than most central customer desks. Especially if you're a repeating customer.

If none of the alternative cruises offered are acceptable to those affected for whatever reason, guess what??

They get a full refund of their money. What's unfair about that?

Royal is giving those affected:

Almost 3 months advance notice of cancellation.

Offering a full refund if you choose not to rebook.

LOL.

Offering a full refund?

You write that as if RCL is being magnanimous in giving people back their money. (As if they could cancel the cruise and keep the money, too, lol. :rolleyes:)

You RCL fanboys are hilarious.

LOL.

Offering a full refund?

You write that as if RCL is being magnanimous in giving people back their money. (As if they could cancel the cruise and keep the money, too, lol. :rolleyes:)

You RCL fanboys are hilarious.

True... but they're not unique to RCL!

Dear Travel Partner:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your clients booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas. Please provide this information, as soon as possible, to your clients booked on this sailing.

Allure of the Seas has been experiencing excessive and unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship’s speed, we have had to limit the ship’s top speed. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear and will ensure that all of three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.

We have explored numerous repair options. Regrettably, there is no satisfactory solution that does not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service. We are very sorry to say that because of this, it will be necessary to cancel your client’s sailing in order to make the necessary repairs.

Royal Caribbean International will provide all guests booked on the February 23, 2014 sailing of Allure of the Seas with a full refund of their cruise fare paid. Cruise fare refunds will be automatically processed back to the original form of payment. Please allow two to three weeks for all transactions to be processed. Please note that our Travel Partners’ commissions will be protected for this sailing.

As an alternative, guests may move to the same stateroom category in any of the following sailings for the same cruise fare rate they paid for their February 23, 2014 sailing.

Allure of the Seas: February 2, 2014 or February 9, 2014 sailings

Oasis of the Seas: February 1, 2014, February 8, 2014 or February 22, 2014 sailings

Guests who choose this option will also receive a $200 per stateroom onboard credit for interior, oceanview, balcony and neighborhood staterooms, or a $400 onboard credit per stateroom for suites.

Also, if your client booked air transportation through Royal Caribbean International, they will receive a full refund. If your client did not purchase air transportation through Royal Caribbean International, we will assist them by paying for their airline change fee, up to $150. We ask that they please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas to the following address: Royal Caribbean International, Customer Service, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your clients. The desk opened on November 14, 2013 and will remain open until November 29, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28546

For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9344 ext. 28623

Thank you for your assistance in notifying your clients about the cancellation of their February 23, 2014, sailing. We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation they were looking forward to. We understand that our guest’s vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. As always, we thank you for your ongoing support of Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Mazal Tov to Royal Caribbean for taking this course of action and letting others know far enough in advance so they can make other plans. If it were me I would book on the Oasis:):)

VERY true. And talk to hotel directly -- they've got a lot more latitude in making things work out than most central customer desks. Especially if you're a repeating customer.

Did not prepay the hotel, but did on a rental car. They just moved the date.

Also, don't give up on the airlines!!! We booked through two separate airlines. Each required a $200 change fee per ticket. When I called, I was flat told NO waiver on the fee. $800 in change fees seemed crazy for $630 of tickets. Then, my sweet wife called the next day, and was able to get both airlines to waive all fees and change the flights. Guess they did not want to deal with a grumpy old man. Both airlines apologized that our cruise was cancelled. However, she did give RCI a piece of her mind about the fee compensation. Don't know of many companies that still charge $150. In fairness the "supervisor" she spoke to, they agreed.

As one poster mentioned earlier, as long as you make customers whole on the air, who could complain about the rest?

As for lessons learned; 1) THE TRIP INSURANCE IS USELESS FOR SITUATIONS LIKE THIS. WE CHECKED. 2) We should have paid attention to the propulsion posts and stayed away from Allure (which makes me wonder why anyone would take one of the Allure options offered) 3) In the future, I'll book my flights through RCI. and 4) Folks are just more inclined to work with a damsel in distress than a grumpy old dude!

I was scheduled on the Disney Dream for August 4014 for 6 months that was then chartered to the vacation club and I was kicked off the ship. Disney refused to book me the week prior at the same rate - wanted over $800 more for the same itinerary and cabin. :eek: (They were willing to do the following week but that was September and between school and mandatory work schedules it didn't work for my family). I know it was close to a year away but when you are planning, budgeting and looking forward to a vacation it doesn't matter. It left an awful taste in my mouth. I took my refund and ran to RCL - now we are on the Freedom for the same week:D.

I am sorry to those who had their cruise cancelled. My heart sunk when I learned ours was. They do need to fix the mechanical problems though and I guess that was as far out as they could schedule. I am sure Royal will work with you to get you on another cruise though. I hope everyone gets their vacations:o.