Cell . gizmo computor free zones?

Hawaiidan

Just as smoking upsets a lot of people and ships have confined it to very specific areas, so too the rampant use of electronic devices, in bars, restaurants, shows, with people walking around yacking loudly oblivious to those around is very irritating as well.

Communication is one thing, but I am talking about the growing number of device obsessed people sending and receiving seemingly endless calls which they treat like they were getting a call from the pope or brokering a mid-east peace deal. ( Like in restaurants at the next table or they guy on his device so absorbed he runs into you).

Does Oceaina have "gizmo free zones" or rules of behaviour where passengers can outside their cabins have assurance of some peace and quiet :rolleyes:.

Just as smoking upsets a lot of people and ships have confined it to very specific areas, so too the rampant use of electronic devices, in bars, restaurants, shows, with people walking around yacking loudly oblivious to those around is very irritating as well.

Communication is one thing, but I am talking about the growing number of device obsessed people sending and receiving seemingly endless calls which they treat like they were getting a call from the pope or brokering a mid-east peace deal. ( Like in restaurants at the next table or they guy on his device so absorbed he runs into you).

Does Oceaina have "gizmo free zones" or rules of behaviour where passengers can outside their cabins have assurance of some peace and quiet :rolleyes:.

Having been in charge of IT at our law school before retirement, I can tell you that the focus is on getting continuous coverage of the entire establishment so people don't complain about dead spots. Blanking out wifi-free zones is technically very difficult, and not a priority.

They might be able to achieve this through rules of behavior, like the "quiet cars" on commuter trains. The Library would be a good place to start. What other public areas would you include (maybe start a poll)?

In the past they did have mention in the CURRENTS about being considerate of others while using your cell in public area

There must have been a few people that did not read the CURRENTS

I think just common sense & good manners should be enough to know that sitting yelling into your phone during meals in the GDR etc.. would be enough

Oh Wait ...some people do not pack either :rolleyes:

Lyn

Talking on the phone is one thing, but connecting to the internet quite another. This is increasingly done via smartphones and tablets. Why anyone would object to that is beyond me.

I was wondering, as I see more and more people today in aisles, sitting in bars and restaurants walking aimless around hands waving , eyes looking into space around me in growing numbers. In the past week I have almost been run over twice in a market, had 3to 4 people other public places begin take or launch into long protracted loud talks. And I wont get into drivers talking

The situation appears to be getting worse than better hence my concern. Its bothered me to the extent that I paid extra for a new luxury car to have its phone and gizmo features taken out and our house is a cell phone free zone, house guests need to go out if they want to use one.

The convenience has or appears to have become more of an addiction than a necessity. The phone thing/pad/berry appears to be the most important thing in their life... to the exclusion of others. Its like I can not get away from these people. Contrary to some feelings there are a lot of people who do not want to be wired 24/7/365/

I would like not to see these activities in bars, restaurants, shows and lounges or around relaxing areas like the pool. It is as upsetting as smoking to have all this going n around you when your trying to relax maybe read just drink in the view.

The majority of Oceania passengers are of an age and education level which gives them the common sense and (dare I say it?) MANNERS so that they know better than to act in the way that you describe.

The few who are oblivious can usually be avoided fairly easily.

The majority of Oceania passengers are of an age and education level which gives them the common sense and (dare I say it?) MANNERS so that they know better than to act in the way that you describe.

The few who are oblivious can usually be avoided fairly easily.

I was just thusly worried by a recent thread where many people were so into techno and bringing all sorts of devices and equipment aboard and the gist was ever building to the extent It worried me.

I am not anti tech. .I have flown planes and navigated ship where tech had a purpose. But I choose to sail because it gets me away from all that and escape from the madness and media of daily life. Alvin Toffler worte of this in" future shock" back in the 60's-70's.

The last thing I want is to be "up" to the latest min or in daily touch with anyone on a cruise.

If you ever run into me... I will be the guy on the cruise without a phone, reading books and writing letters and postcards home ( with stamps)

I think at some point people that are so upset by the people around them, using electronic devices, smoking, being young, not dressing right, drinking too much, being rude, not tipping enough, should give up any form of public vacation, buy a house in some really deserted place and go and have fun!!!

Talking on the phone is one thing, but connecting to the internet quite another. This is increasingly done via smartphones and tablets. Why anyone would object to that is beyond me.

Dan, I don't think you ever addressed Wendy's question except by omission. I can't believe someone connected to the internet would bother anyone, any more than writing in a journal or reading an ebook (something I do regularly on my tablet. I also do crossword puzzles which are delivered to me via the internet, impossible to tell whether I am "hooked up" or not.

I totally agree about being annoyed by cell phones, especially those on Blue Tooth where the person sounds like they're talking to me. However, I've never seen much of that during a cruise.

Edited by hondorner

I am frequently bothered by people in my vicinity on land yacking on their phones or whatever. I especially love the people who are texting or talking and just cross the street without looking to see if I'm going to run them down. Some of these yokels are walking down the middle of the street, not even on the sidewalk.

But to date I haven't been bothered by this kind of activity on O's ships.

I hope that will NEVER happen.

True, I grew up in a time when you just walked to your destination. Someone was quoted in the NY Times a year or so ago. She couldn't understand why she couldn't be on the phone (whether talking or texting) as she walked along the sidewalk. What would she do if she couldn't use her phone?

Well, in my day we WALKED and looked around at the scenery!

Yes, I love my computer and I use it a lot ... but my phone is just a phone.

Color me old fashioned.

Mura

I am frequently bothered by people in my vicinity on land yacking on their phones or whatever. I especially love the people who are texting or talking and just cross the street without looking to see if I'm going to run them down. Some of these yokels are walking down the middle of the street, not even on the sidewalk.

But to date I haven't been bothered by this kind of activity on O's ships.

I hope that will NEVER happen.

True, I grew up in a time when you just walked to your destination. Someone was quoted in the NY Times a year or so ago. She couldn't understand why she couldn't be on the phone (whether talking or texting) as she walked along the sidewalk. What would she do if she couldn't use her phone?

Well, in my day we WALKED and looked around at the scenery!

Yes, I love my computer and I use it a lot ... but my phone is just a phone.

Color me old fashioned.

Myra

I agree with you 100% and I think in my case it's an age thing..

Edited by orchestrapal

I think at some point people that are so upset by the people around them, using electronic devices, smoking, being young, not dressing right, drinking too much, being rude, not tipping enough, should give up any form of public vacation, buy a house in some really deserted place and go and have fun!!!

Right on!

I can't believe someone connected to the internet would bother anyone,

I don't believe that you REALLY believe that, Don, not in all situations, anyway.

It is inappropriate to use an Ipad or a phone at the bar in Martini's, for example, or when sitting at dinner in one of the Restaurants.

I don't believe that you REALLY believe that, Don, not in all situations, anyway.

It is inappropriate to use an Ipad or a phone at the bar in Martini's, for example, or when sitting at dinner in one of the Restaurants.

Any why is that, assuming that you are quiet and not bothering others?? Can certainly understand why it would be inappropriate to be talking on your device where others would be bothered and concentrating on your device if others are talking to you but, if one is alone and being quiet, what's the difference between using a device or reading a book???

One is just at fault for disrupting someone who isn't bothering anyone as Don suggested as someone who is talking on their device in an area where others are tying to concentrate or have a nice discussion.

Any why is that, assuming that you are quiet and not bothering others?? Can certainly understand why it would be inappropriate to be talking on your device where others would be bothered and concentrating on your device if others are talking to you but, if one is alone and being quiet, what's the difference between using a device or reading a book???

One is just at fault for disrupting someone who isn't bothering anyone as Don suggested as someone who is talking on their device in an area where others are tying to concentrate or have a nice discussion.

When traveling alone at a land restaurant, I always bring a book to read between courses (otherwise they serve too fast). Does my book reading bother your dinner? Maybe you should concentrate on what's going on at your own table. ;)

Right on!

If people don't agree with you....why not un load on them... that's just my point that you made so well. "How Dare you not be like me"

My objections are to the overt talking and sense of entitlement that some possess.

And my concern was from a growing number people deeply into bringing all manner of devices along as thought they could not fathom living without them. That was my worry which some you allayed and others displayed.

I have had some people sitting at a table near us talking loudly on their cell during a meal

Yes I do find this intrusive

YMMV

People seem to think because they are hundreds of miles away from the person they are calling they need to shout into thier phone :eek:

I think like some land restaurants are doing now the dining venues should have a LARGE sign "turn off your cell phone " as you enter

Not many people do bring their phones to meals but those that do can be annoying to others

JMO

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

But don't ever recall hearing anyone talk on their phone in restaurants or public areas of O ships. It is a lovely change from day to day life!

We only encounter it once at the restaurant

Do not go to the upper decks when docking ..they are lined up against the railings trying to get a signal :D

Lyn

I read a lot of books, but always on the kindle app on my iPad. Due to the small size of the print in most paper books, and the hassle of carrying a bunch of books when traveling, I have switched. Obviously anywhere that it is appropriate to read a book, it is appropriate to read an Ebook. Of course I would not bring it to dinner on a cruise or pull it out at lunch, unless someone wanted to see some photos. After all, these devices provide many different functions. Sorry Luddites.

A phone, sure, I totally agree with you. But, I can see nothing inappropriate about using my tablet at a bar, on in a restaurant, when by myself. I'm not talking on it, it doesn't even connect to phone service. I could agree if I was sharing the occasion with others, it might be a little antisocial.