Children at the bar / bar stools

20pluscruises

I would doubt it unless they are 18 and maybe have signed the "ok to drink" paperwork? But more importantly, why would they...saddest thing I saw was 2 drunk parents with their kids at a bar...

Thanks! It's hard enough to get a seat at the bar as it is. Plus, the time of year we booked has me thinking I may want to switch my cruise to another date.

p.s. Yes, we do like children :)

Edited by 20pluscruises

Been on many cruises, and just like lounges and bars at home, you don't see kids there. With that said, there's always that outlier where someone brings them in.

So it sounds as if the OP is worried about kids in a bar, sitting at the bar on stools. Quit worrying. Little chance even during higher family-time cruises. Most people understand the basics.

Now, you will see kids and families around the dance floors which are near lounges and since ships are set up where there is seating near lounges, families will be seated there. So unless the sight of kids causes someone major heartache, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Enjoy. There are many other issues to be concerned about such as loud, drunk 'adults' than a kid sucking down a gin and tonic sitting on a bar stool.

Den

I just don't get it! Most bars in a cruise ship are actually in the lounges. Lounges are for everyone, including families with children. There is nothing morally wrong with children being in a location where drinks are served.

If you're objecting to a child sitting on a bar stool - nothing wrong with that either, as long as the child is sipping a non-alcoholic drink. Let's not forget that, during the daytime, the bars are often the only place where a child can get a drink, so they have to go to the bar.

I guess our difference of opinion comes from a difference in cultural expectations - in the US, apparently children are not allowed on licensed premises, even if they are with their parents.

In many other parts of the world, children are allowed, if accompanied by their parents - and no, being in the presence of adults who are drinking alcohol does not corrupt the children, unless the adults themselves are behaving in a reprehensible fashion.

Perhaps that's the problem with people who think children should not be allowed in a bar? They may feel inhibited by the presence of children, because they have to watch their language and generally behave better. Next thing you know, they'll be calling for women to be banned, too. ;)

Been on many cruises, and just like lounges and bars at home, you don't see kids there. With that said, there's always that outlier where someone brings them in.

(Snip)

Den

Yes, Den, but a cruise ship is not little America, and "home" to many who cruise is not the USA. In many countries, children are allowed in bars, as long as they are accompanied by their parents.

Spot on this "sitting at the bar" objection seems to be an uniquely US thing on our recent Royal Princess cruise I was having a drink at the bar near the crown grill and my 15 year old son came to ask me a question about our next port stop ,I got him to situp and ordered him a coke .The next thing I know we are getting ticked of by the bar manager and asked to move along ( their loss I never came back)

All bars on cruise ships that I have seen are in our near a lounge so civil behaviour is required what difference does it make if you are at a bar or 4 feet away at a table trust me everyone is privay to your conversation

Yes, Den, but a cruise ship is not little America, and "home" to many who cruise is not the USA. In many countries, children are allowed in bars, as long as they are accompanied by their parents.

Good point, but I didn't see kids bellying up to the bar on Euro cruises.

We may be splitting hairs here. having spent a good deal of time in a number of European countries, kids weren't in bars. But then restaurants with a bar and hotel lobby's with a bar, yup, kids were there with their family.

Some European countries properly introduce their youth to wines and beers so they don't go crazy the moment they go of to college as we see in the US, but a classic pub/bar in Europe, in my experience, wasn't a family hangout.

But I think we are most likely in agreement. I don't let my 5yr old granddaughter jump up on a bar stool and guzzle away.....gets too expensive. She like 20yr old Single Malts!

Den

I just don't get it! Most bars in a cruise ship are actually in the lounges. Lounges are for everyone, including families with children. There is nothing morally wrong with children being in a location where drinks are served.

If you're objecting to a child sitting on a bar stool - nothing wrong with that either, as long as the child is sipping a non-alcoholic drink. Let's not forget that, during the daytime, the bars are often the only place where a child can get a drink, so they have to go to the bar.

I guess our difference of opinion comes from a difference in cultural expectations - in the US, apparently children are not allowed on licensed premises, even if they are with their parents.

In many other parts of the world, children are allowed, if accompanied by their parents - and no, being in the presence of adults who are drinking alcohol does not corrupt the children, unless the adults themselves are behaving in a reprehensible fashion.

Perhaps that's the problem with people who think children should not be allowed in a bar? They may feel inhibited by the presence of children, because they have to watch their language and generally behave better. Next thing you know, they'll be calling for women to be banned, too. ;)

Spot on! A cruise ship is not your local pub, and sadly I have noticed the objection of children part sometimes creeps into other parts of the ship.

I don't understand the objections either. There are bars all over the cruise ship. There are even several at the pools. Would children not be allowed at the pools then? I understand that there are certain areas that is designated for adults only, so children should not be in those areas. But if it's not designated as such, why can't children be there then? And what are people doing at the bars that is so terrible that children can't observe? Most of the time it just looks like people chatting, relaxing, and having a good time. Why do you need to keep children away from that? The bigger question is do the kids want to be at the bar.

I am reading this as the OP is just looking for a bit of adult time.

If my memory serves me right the Sky Lounge allows persons under the age of 21 (USA drinking age) on cruises out of North America under the age of 18 (EU drinking age) on cruises out of the UK and Europe up until a certain time in the evening and the it is an adult only venue. 10pm comes to mind but I wouldn't swear to it.

I suspect this may also be applied to other areas which are designated as adult bars later in the night.

Cheers h.

A cruise is (potentially) a family vacation. Therefore, you might encounter children anywhere on the ship. There is no reason that adults can't sit at a bar accompanied by their children, except in the designated adults only areas such as the night club in the evening. Some parents can only travel if they bring their children with them, and not all kids want to spend every second of their time in the kids' club. I have never found this to be a problem. Most kids are very well behaved.

I agree! I'm from the UK and pubs are places for families to enjoy time together in the daytime. They help create a lovely atmosphere. Some bars are over 21 and that's fine. The comments on this thread express a worrying, unhealthy attitude towards alcohol in society. So sad.

In my opinion, kids should see adults enjoying alcohol responsibly. We shouldn't hide it from them, nor should a parent in charge of a child be drunk. But a glass or two of wine doesn't hurt anyone, UNLESS you are planning to drive!