Celebrity as ala carte Ferry?

JLSPOOL

Thank you, yes, the "fantasy" has tarnished. We want something new on the Celebrity ships or new ports. The ala carte's are expensive and we have a problem finding the value. We're not interested in Oceania or Azamara. Seabourn and Crystal are ships for smokers. Disney is good for a family.

M-Class ships were best in the early years. The S-Class ships now offer the same lounges, same entertainment, same food, same, same, same, etc. with little creativity to keep the "fantasy" of cruising for old timers.

Increasing Loyalty benefits does not make surprises. 123 Pkg promos don't give enough incentive. The lounges are limited in entertainment, the buffet has no alternate service, the bells and whistles of the biggest RCI ships or the Princess ships are now major competitors due to changes in smoking policies.

Celebrity needs to polish its product and ferry us to a new Caribbean ports. Celebrity needs to mix things up aboard ship to make the ferry worth the ride and added costs worth the dollars.

jls

Celebrity is not RCI. They are not aiming for the same customer. If you want rock climbing walls, zip lines and the other bells and whistles then you need to cruise RCI or NCL. I see nothing on the new Royal Princess that would make me want to cruise. Smaller balconies is not an improvement.

Also all of those other mass market cruise lines offer the same a la carte type choices. I love having the choice of specialty dining and since many other lines are moving in this direction I'm not alone. Mass market cruising continues to evolve. We all have a choice. Change with it or find an alternative vacation. I'm still paying less money today than I did for my first cruise almost thirty years ago taking inflation into account.

Edited by cruisingator2

Celebrity is not RCI. They are not aiming for the same customer. If you want rock climbing walls, zip lines and the other bells and whistles then you need to cruise RCI or NCL.

Don't know about NCL, but if the OP switches to RC, he's bound to be disappointed -- unless he cruises in a full suite. Otherwise, at every turn, he'll still be confronted with areas blocked off for top-tier/suite cruisers: the Concierge Lounge, the Diamond Lounge, the roped off seats in the theater and ice rink; not to mention all those D+/Pinnacles "hogging" all the computers in the I-Lounge! :rolleyes:

Edited by wwcruisers

We won't cruise Oceania or Azamara due to ship size.

Our "champagne" or wine budget is not a problem.

RCI adult areas and entertainment far exceeds Celebrity. RCI has wave pool, putt-putt, rock climbing wall, Johnny Rockets, huge arcade and H2O zone that keeps the younger set happy and well entertained.

RCI cabins are similar to S-Class but more storage space due to design.

There is lots to do and many places to lounge w/entertainment on a RCL ships. Freedom class does not have an covered swimming area.

Princess has Vista Lounge, Explorer Lounge, Crooners, Crown Grill w/entertainment. Piazza entertainment matches Celebrity big foyer.

Alas Princess buffet is not as good as S-Class at breakfast or lunch.

We will not book the new Royal Princess. It doesn't have the terraces and pool on the back. And, it shortchanged us w/the promenade, just like the S-Class design.

Any of the specialty restaurants lose appeal when we visit too often.

Obviously, we should try the AQ class cabins on Celebrity for the Blu restaurant. Maybe there is a surprise there.

jls

<<<with little creativity to keep the "fantasy" of cruising for old timers>>>

I find this such a ridiculous, patronising and elitist statement.

You do know that there are more people than you in this world right? We aren;t all "old timers" and many of us are happy with a nice a la carte ferry.

I don't understand all this moaning for new Caribbean ports. What do you expect, Celebrity to build new islands? There are a finite number ports in the Caribbean so how can a cruise line go to new ports when there aren't any? And, there are some islands where the large cruise ships cannot go, or at least they choose not to because they're tender ports and not logistically easy. And there are ports that aren't safe and cruise lines avoid those places.

So, I guess I want to know from those who keep asking for new Caribbean ports. Where do you want to go?

I don't understand all this moaning for new Caribbean ports. What do you expect, Celebrity to build new islands? There are a finite number ports in the Caribbean so how can a cruise line go to new ports when there aren't any? And, there are some islands where the large cruise ships cannot go, or at least they choose not to because they're tender ports and not logistically easy. And there are ports that aren't safe and cruise lines avoid those places.

So, I guess I want to know from those who keep asking for new Caribbean ports. Where do you want to go?

Perhaps he'd like Celebrity and other mainstream cruise lines to add to the small number of existing cruises to Cuba.

Thank you, yes, the "fantasy" has tarnished. We want something new on the Celebrity ships or new ports. The ala carte's are expensive and we have a problem finding the value.

M-Class ships were best in the early years. The S-Class ships now offer the same lounges, same entertainment, same food, same, same, same, etc. with little creativity to keep the "fantasy" of cruising for old timers.

Increasing Loyalty benefits does not make surprises. 123 Pkg promos don't give enough incentive. The lounges are limited in entertainment, the buffet has no alternate service, the bells and whistles of the biggest RCI ships or the Princess ships are now major competitors due to changes in smoking policies.

Celebrity needs to polish its product and ferry us to a new Caribbean ports. Celebrity needs to mix things up aboard ship to make the ferry worth the ride and added costs worth the dollars.

jls

No, Celebrity really doesn't need to do any of what you said. The cruise industry is evolving and Celebrity is evolving with it. You're unhappy with the changes, but there are thousands of people sailing every week who love them, so clearly Celebrity is meeting the demand.

RCI adult areas and entertainment far exceeds Celebrity.....wave pool, putt-putt, rock climbing wall, Johnny Rockets, huge arcade and H2O zone

There is lots to do and many places to lounge w/entertainment on a RCL ships.

Princess has Vista Lounge, Explorer Lounge, Crooners, Crown Grill w/entertainment.

What a boring world it would be if every line offered the same exact thing. You want Royal's style of entertainment, etc.? Then for heaven's sake, GO BOOK ON ROYAL and quit complaining about Celebrity. :rolleyes:

We won't cruise Oceania or Azamara due to ship size.

Our "champagne" or wine budget is not a problem.

RCI adult areas and entertainment far exceeds Celebrity. RCI has wave pool, putt-putt, rock climbing wall, Johnny Rockets, huge arcade and H2O zone that keeps the younger set happy and well entertained.

There is lots to do and many places to lounge w/entertainment on a RCL ships. Freedom class does not have an covered swimming area.

Princess has Vista Lounge, Explorer Lounge, Crooners, Crown Grill w/entertainment. Piazza entertainment matches Celebrity big foyer.

Alas Princess buffet is not as good as S-Class at breakfast or lunch.

We will not book the new Royal Princess. It doesn't have the terraces and pool on the back. And, it shortchanged us w/the promenade, just like the S-Class design.

Obviously, we should try the AQ class cabins on Celebrity for the Blu restaurant. Maybe there is a surprise there.

jls

This is a joke correct, is it April 1.....

This is a joke correct, is it April 1.....

Yes and No.

Yes- AQ Class for Blu, IMHO is a joke unless it's a real deal. The Persian Garden is open to any passenger willing to pay by the day or the cruise.

No- My travel, April 1 is about Summer ports, ie. Alaska, Hawaii, Mediterranean or Baltic.

Dec 1 about winter ports, ie. the Caribbean, Panama Canal and S. American.

Richstowe: Yes, Fla and Yes, Celebrity- that's why my thread is here. I'm looking for answers.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

that's why my thread is here. I'm looking for answers.

jls

Maybe you should do a little more research. You casually dismissed Crystal as "for smokers" -- but their new smoking policy is as restrictive as Celebrity's.

No, Celebrity really doesn't need to do any of what you said. The cruise industry is evolving and Celebrity is evolving with it. You're unhappy with the changes, but there are thousands of people sailing every week who love them, so clearly Celebrity is meeting the demand.

What a boring world it would be if every line offered the same exact thing. You want Royal's style of entertainment, etc.? Then for heaven's sake, GO BOOK ON ROYAL and quit complaining about Celebrity. :rolleyes:

Maybe they remember the days when Celebrity USE to offer all of these things!

Maybe they remember the days when Celebrity USE to offer all of these things!

We can all sit here and recall the days when things were different but in the end things change. Either change with them or move on. I think it's best if some move on..........;)

Edited by cruisingator2

We can all sit here and recall the days when things were different but in the end things change. Either change with them or move on. I think it's best if some move on..........;)

I'll let Celebrity know on my booked (before the changes) cruise that a member on Cruise Critic thinks I should choose another cruise line other than Celebrity. I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear this. Not to mention it was suggested by a 20,000 + member.

Edited by 20pluscruises

I'll let Celebrity know on my booked (before the changes) cruise that a member on Cruise Critic thinks I should choose another cruise line other than Celebrity. I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear this. Not to mention it was suggested by a 20,000 + member.

LOL......Like I really care and I think that Celebrity might agree with me. ;) And what does the number of posts that a Cruise Critic member has have to do with Celebrity? :confused: You have already shouted from the roof top that you were leaving. Enjoy your new cruise line.

Edited by cruisingator2

LOL......Like I really care and I think that Celebrity might agree with me. ;) And what does the number of posts that a Cruise Critic member has have to do with Celebrity? :confused: You have already shouted from the roof top that you were leaving. Enjoy your new cruise line.

Ruh roh...you missed it by seconds

Edited by 20pluscruises

Is this thread making any sense at all?? The OP wants answers but I'm afraid I don't understand the question. It's so scattergun that I can't really respond.

If a particular Line isn't going to the ports the OP wants and doesn't provide the climbing walks, talking mice, ice rinks, lots and lots of announcements and not enough hardsell, there are many Lines that do. Go for it.

That's what's so nice about so much variety and options.

The OP wants answers, but to what? Why doesn't this Line provide all the specifics the OP wants and, why isn't each cruise and each ship completely different than the others? My only answer is- try a differnt Line everytime you cruise and then there will be the variety the OP is apparently looking for.

Den

The OP wants answers, but to what? Why doesn't this Line provide all the specifics the OP wants and, why isn't each cruise and each ship completely different than the others?

And why isn't it exactly the same as it used to be, at the same time?

Is this thread making any sense at all?? The OP wants answers but I'm afraid I don't understand the question. It's so scattergun that I can't really respond.

Den

Doesn't make any sense to me at all. Hope the OP tries other lines. RCCL used to be our favorite cruise line, now it's Celebrity. Sometimes change is good, it makes you appreciate what you have. My mom used to say that "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"….

Yes and No.

Yes- AQ Class for Blu, IMHO is a joke unless it's a real deal. The Persian Garden is open to any passenger willing to pay by the day or the cruise.

No- My travel, April 1 is about Summer ports, ie. Alaska, Hawaii, Mediterranean or Baltic.

Dec 1 about winter ports, ie. the Caribbean, Panama Canal and S. American.

Richstowe: Yes, Fla and Yes, Celebrity- that's why my thread is here. I'm looking for answers.

jls

Really don't think if you got answers you would be satisfied, appears you have made up your mind already. I will leave it at that as I see no reason to continue.

The number of posts is really misleading since many of us have been through several computer changes over the years on these boards and have lost thousands of posts. I probably have well over 50,000 posts but only show 12,000. I know I'm crazy....I agree with you that Celebrity could care less...

Edited by dkjretired