Travel Agent or book yourself-opinions

beachlvn

Do you use a TA? Or do you just book yourself online or by phone with Princess. What are the advantages or disadvantages in your opinion.

The last 4 sailings I booked with a TA and this last time I was so thoroughly disgusted with them. I found a discounted price and called my TA. He wasn't quick enough and I didn't get it. I fought with him stating this was not fair and I told him I would call his supervisor, as it was several hundred dollars worth of savings. His company finally honored it, out of their own pocket. I reported it timely. He just didn't take care of it timely (although he blamed the dept that takes care of pricing and stated he did give in the info in time.

Edited by beachlvn

First, asking for TA information is against CC rules so this post may be deleted.

Second, since your TA made good, I can't see why you'd be upset.

Third, using a TA or not is a personal decision based on preferences. Some people prioritize discounts, some service, Some use different TAs, some (like myself) value the relationship with the TA over discounts on certain things because they get deals on others and/or offer better service.

Finally, to find a good TA, ask around on cruises or check your local BBB.

Ooops, didn't know this post would be against regulations, so if it is removed I will understand.

To explain further, I used this TA 4 times, and each time had an issue. Yes, he finally relented, but not easily. And, to tell you the truth, I just didn't care for him. That's all really.

I am generally a very easy to please person. I have nary a complaint about my cruises.

Thanks again. :)

Not against regulations. You can't discuss TAs by name, but the choice between TA and direct has been the subject of many threads.

There is no downside to using a good TA. They are your advocate with the cruise line and may be able to get to Yes when you can't on the phone direct. They also give discounts and/or on board credits.

The problem is that you have a bad TA. Now comes the regulations: I can't tell you the name of my TA, who I recommend highly. But I can give general advice: look for a national agency that has a high volume with the cruise lines you want to sale. That gives them both pricing deals and clout to get exceptions in grey areas.

Ooops, didn't know this post would be against regulations, so if it is removed I will understand.

To explain further, I used this TA 4 times, and each time had an issue. Yes, he finally relented, but not easily. And, to tell you the truth, I just didn't care for him. That's all really.

I am generally a very easy to please person. I have nary a complaint about my cruises.

Thanks again. :)

Perhaps your post was modified, but it is OK now. You can ask general questions about TAs, cannot request or communicate specific TA's names.

I always use a TA for Princess cruises because Princess allows TAs to offer discounts. I also make sure that the TA does not have any additional fees for changes and cancellations. I have found one that I really like and I always use her.

Good luck

A good Ta, which I have :), is worth their weight in gold! They can give you discounts and perks that you don't get from the cruise line. It is against the rules to name specific agents, but go with a national company, get a quote from several, ask about the cancellation policy and do some research before you commit.

I always book through a TA, as early as possible. And, I always save money (10-20% or more, depending on the cruise and cabin category) plus get OBC and perks.

If I booked directly, which I don't, it would only be until I get quotes from 2-3 TAs. They are your advocate and invaluable if you need assistance. No matter who you book with at the cruise line or how nice and responsive they seem, they work for the cruise line and answer to them.

I always book through a TA, as early as possible. And, I always save money (10-20% or more, depending on the cruise and cabin category) plus get OBC and perks.

If I booked directly, which I don't, it would only be until I get quotes from 2-3 TAs. They are your advocate and invaluable if you need assistance. No matter who you book with at the cruise line or how nice and responsive they seem, they work for the cruise line and answer to them.

Pam raises a good point here but didn't elaborate much.

It is a well-known practice to go ahead and book with Princess and then shop the booking to TAs for a better price and perks. The advantage of this is getting your preferred cabin reserved as soon as possible.

Princess does not frown on this practice at all.

Pam raises a good point here but didn't elaborate much.

It is a well-known practice to go ahead and book with Princess and then shop the booking to TAs for a better price and perks. The advantage of this is getting your preferred cabin reserved as soon as possible.

Princess does not frown on this practice at all.

Why wouldn't you start with your TA? You can get your preferred cabin reserved as soon as possible with a TA too. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't you start with your TA? You can get your preferred cabin reserved as soon as possible with a TA too. :rolleyes:

I have booked thru Princess when I was on a cruise when the new ones were announced. When I got home I shopped the discount TA's and found the lowest price. I then transferred it booking to that TA, saving 10 to 20%

We prefer to deal with the same person at Princess for everything and we have done it both ways. For our upcoming cruise we changed from one to the other with one short phone call to Princess on Sun. 2 weeks ago and then confirmed it on our Cruise Pesonalizer within minutes of hanging up. The perks we got on the new cruise are really amazing this time and if there any problems prior to or during the cruise we just go to Passenger services. When you are half way around the world it can be hard to get in touch with your TA when Princess says the TA must request that change or correction for you. The last time we used a TA the price was actually better from Princess. The ease of doing everything is to hard to pass up. IMHO;)

Thank you all for your responses. I will go ahead and book. I called Princess yesterday and expressed one of my concerns, and that is that some sales have restrictions that they are only for new bookings only. I was a little concerned about booking and then finding if I didn't I could get better pricing. But, the rep did tell me that happens occasionally, not often. I will then keep my eye out for a good TA. Hopefully I will get a good deal and save some money from the advertised price!

Thank you all for your responses. I will go ahead and book. I called Princess yesterday and expressed one of my concerns, and that is that some sales have restrictions that they are only for new bookings only. I was a little concerned about booking and then finding if I didn't I could get better pricing. But, the rep did tell me that happens occasionally, not often. I will then keep my eye out for a good TA. Hopefully I will get a good deal and save some money from the advertised price!

Travel agents are not allowed to advertise prices below the Princess price. If you ask for a quote, that can be lower than Princess.

I love, love, love my TA. I always get at least a little discount, reduced deposit and some OBC. She is not the type to send chocolate strawberries (which I am allergic to) or wine (which I don't drink). The OBC she gives is applied to something that I want (normally the Thermal Spa).

I have two cruises in the hopper right now. She has really advocated for us with both cruise lines. (regarding upgrades, price drops, and cabin placement). I am pretty OCD, so I can definitely able to manage my own travel. Having a good TA is like having a really great advocate!:)

Easy answer: if I'm on a cruise when bookings open or I see something and want to grab a specific cabin. This rarely happens. Usually, I research available cabins and email 2-3 TA's for a quote. Sometimes one is less than the other and sometimes, it's the other way around. I have two cruises booked with one TA, another booked with another.

A good TA can make a big difference. Because I booked early and got a discount to start with, I'm paying 26.6% less than the current Princess fare for the cabin next door, same category on my March 1 cruise. That's after a healthy price reduction I was able to take advantage of before prices increased again. The more I save, the more I can cruise.

If you receive a bottle of wine or other perk from your TA, you can always take the card to the Passenger Services Desk and get an OBC credit. Only thing you can't get a credit for is the stupid TA's discount coupon booklet.

Edited by Pam in CA

Easy answer: if I'm on a cruise when bookings open or I see something and want to grab a specific cabin. This rarely happens. Usually, I research available cabins and email 2-3 TA's for a quote. Sometimes one is less than the other and sometimes, it's the other way around. I have two cruises booked with one TA, another booked with another.

A good TA can make a big difference. Because I booked early and got a discount to start with, I'm paying 26.6% less than the current Princess fare for the cabin next door, same category on my March 1 cruise. That's after a healthy price reduction I was able to take advantage of before prices increased again. The more I save, the more I can cruise.

If you receive a bottle of wine or other perk from your TA, you can always take the card to the Passenger Services Desk and get an OBC credit. Only thing you can't get a credit for is the stupid TA's discount coupon booklet.

It's a waste of paper!!! The only good thing for me was the BOGO coffee card and they stopped that several years ago!

I have always used the same TA. They have been really good. I started using them because sometimes they do group tours and bring speakers for the at sea days, and arrange for some special excursions. It was a good way to learn about cruising and have a group to hang with. Since then we have had the agency handle our personal cruises. It's nice having a person to organize everything.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, a good TA makes a big difference. And a good TA will be one who's company holds a lot of purchasing power with the cruiselines and will be a TA who you will keep coming back to and not having to continually shop around for quotes. It will be a TA who has consistently been your advocate and worked hard to make sure you are always getting the lowest price and the best service. It will be a TA who consistently checks for potential price reductions, even though it will mean a reduction in commission.

As far as the coupon booklet goes, if you are talking about the cruiseline's coupon booklet, it is what it is...it is not the "stupid TA's discount coupon booklet".

Cindy

I agree with everyone speaking for a good TA. Our first cruise to Alaska we booked with an online agency. The next two cruises we booked with a wonderful local TA. Now I'm sorry to say she's retiring this month! We'll be able to use someone in her company but she will be hard to beat. Since we already booked through her we'll stick with that company to get us through this next cruise! Not knowing how they are we'll have to watch for the drops in price ourselves and alert them if we see one!

Happy Cruising which ever you choose to book!

As far as the coupon booklet goes, if you are talking about the cruiseline's coupon booklet, it is what it is...it is not the "stupid TA's discount coupon booklet".
You're right. It is what it is but unlike other TA perk options, it offers little or no real value for many nor can you exchange it for credit. For most of the coupons, you have to buy something first to get the coupon benefit and some of these are very expensive.

Why wouldn't you start with your TA? You can get your preferred cabin reserved as soon as possible with a TA too.

Here's some reasons you may not start with your T/A first.

1. You find a cruise and a specific cruise and cabin that you want and your T/A office is closed and if you wait you may loose that cabin and or price.

2. I had a case where my T/A was away and forgot to post something on their answering machine so I used Princess to make my reservation. My T/A is with a large nationwide company where each office has only one T/A.

I have done this and explained to my T/A that their was a specific stateroom that I wanted so I made the reservation first and then had it transferred to my T/A.

Others may have reasons why they don't start with their T/A first.

Tom:)

The next two cruises we booked with a wonderful local TA. Now I'm sorry to say she's retiring this month! We'll be able to use someone in her company but she will be hard to beat.

If you trust her that much, ask her to recommend a replacement.