Letter needed if husband misses trip?

LMaxwell

Next week we are going on our big family trip and there is a slim chance my brother will not be able to go due to a new job. My sister in law and their children would still be going. I advised him that he may need to provide a letter stating that he allows his wife to travel with the kids outside of the country without him.

Can anyone shine some light on this? What does the letter need to say? I assume it would need to be notarized as well? Again, this is only an outside chance and not definite, but wants to take care of this ASAP as a precaution.

Next week we are going on our big family trip and there is a slim chance my brother will not be able to go due to a new job. My sister in law and their children would still be going. I advised him that he may need to provide a letter stating that he allows his wife to travel with the kids outside of the country without him.

Can anyone shine some light on this? What does the letter need to say? I assume it would need to be notarized as well? Again, this is only an outside chance and not definite, but wants to take care of this ASAP as a precaution.

short, sweet, simple answer is yes. All the notarized letter needs to say is that he gives his wife permission to take the kids out of the country. I can't find the wording on RCI's website...sorry :o

I'm curious what the responses will be. I think I would be surprised if one parent was already going with the children, if a letter from the OTHER parent is required? I would think as long as one parent was traveling with them, that would be good enough. Just wondering what the policy is.

I'm curious what the responses will be. I think I would be surprised if one parent was already going with the children, if a letter from the OTHER parent is required? I would think as long as one parent was traveling with them, that would be good enough. Just wondering what the policy is.

I'm not 100% clear on it, but I believe they can deny boarding if the mother tries to travel with the kids alone and the husband is not present. I guess it's considered some sort of flight/trafficking risk? Something bad must have happened in the past in regards to this sort of situation to make the cruiselines want to protect themselves. I've read of disappointed spouses/crying kids left at the terminal and refused boarding.

One thing I have learned over the years, there is NO sense arguing with the cruiseline at the terminal. Better to be prepared than shocked and have a long planned vacation ruined.

My understanding has always been that this was advised if the mother and children had different last names. Don't think I have heard of this needed in any other situation, but I do not have any direct experience,

I think the problem is there is no policy. If any customs agents gets suspicious, they can question you. They don't have a clue if the two parents are still married or in the midst of a custody battle. This type of documentation may help.

Here is the US Government Link https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

The issue might be with any of the Countries which the cruise is stopping at. In this case, better safe than sorry.

I think as long as the kids have the same last name and the proper govermental identification their should be no problem. Their are so many variables to this. What if their is no husband because the kids were legally adopted by a single parent? What if the husband is deceased? Are you suppose to carry around adoption papers and death certificates? LOL

As I am divorced, I need a letter to travel out of the country with my daughter.. also, we don't have the same last name. In the letter/form my lawyer made out you would read:

• names of persons travelling (in my letter it is stated like this: I___________, authorize Susie blahblahblah to travel with our daughter Gabrielle blahblahblah)
  • passport numbers for parent travelling as well as children (We're in Canada, so most everyone has a passport)
  • address where you live
  • phone number
  • dates of travel (start to end dates)
  • where you're traveling to
  • permission to seek medical treatment

That's all I can remember at the moment. You may have different requirements in the USA. Maybe check your government website, we have a travel form on ours.

Susie

She needs to take a letter. My wife is deceased and I always travel with a copy of her death certificate and have been asked for it more than once. She may or may not be asked for it but it is simple to get so why not have it just in case.

There have been many cases over the years of one parent taking a child out of the country to get away from the other parent, especially if there is a custody issue. Once that comes to mind is that boy from NJ whose mother went to Brazil and decided to stay and the Dad had to fihgt for years to get his son back, even after she died.

As I am divorced, I need a letter to travel out of the country with my daughter.. also, we don't have the same last name. In the letter/form my lawyer made out you would read:

• names of persons travelling (in my letter it is stated like this: I___________, authorize Susie blahblahblah to travel with our daughter Gabrielle blahblahblah)
  • passport numbers for parent travelling as well as children (We're in Canada, so most everyone has a passport)
  • address where you live
  • phone number
  • dates of travel (start to end dates)
  • where you're traveling to
  • permission to seek medical treatment

That's all I can remember at the moment. You may have different requirements in the USA. Maybe check your government website, we have a travel form on ours.

Susie

This is exactly what they are looking for, as well as add the contact #'s of the other parent where they can be reached at any time, cell, home or work. You can find sample letters online if you search for travel permission letters.

Any time a lone parent travels out of the country with the children you should take a permission letter, notarized being preferred. It saves a lot of hassle in the long run to have it. You may never be asked to provide it, but if you are asked and don't have one, you could run into some lengthy travel delays.

I travel a lot with my daughter, without my husband and I always have one with me, and I have been asked to provide it a few times, oddly enough by the Canadian Customs as I am entering back into Canada. Our lawyer draws up ours, but you can do it yourself and then take it to a notary to have them notarize it.

As others have mentioned, the concern that could arise is a parental kidnapping. So the nontraveling parent (father and husband in this case) can give a notarized letter to end such concerns if they arise. Will anybody ask to see the letter? Probably not, but better safe than sorry. It would be inconvenient to get a letter from dad the day of the cruise, if challenged.

As with other similar, but different, situations that arise on Cruise Critic, I suggest you CALL THE CRUISE LINE. As you have read above, there are conflicting answers for your inquiry. Some are correct, some are partially correct, and some are plain WRONG.

I know this is a forum of very knowledgeable cruisers but this issue is very important and should not be trusted to the "public".

As with other similar, but different, situations that arise on Cruise Critic, I suggest you CALL THE CRUISE LINE. As you have read above, there are conflicting answers for your inquiry. Some are correct, some are partially correct, and some are plain WRONG.

I know this is a forum of very knowledgeable cruisers but this issue is very important and should not be trusted to the "public".

I know that is a great answer, however I'd be concerned about getting some sort of mixed or incorrect message from RCI on this. Those that have experience in the area seem to have a pretty unified message. I'll advise my brother to call the cruise line but to strongly consider a notarized letter with some boilerplate wording suggested here.

Thank you all for your input.

I think as long as the kids have the same last name and the proper govermental identification their should be no problem. Their are so many variables to this. What if their is no husband because the kids were legally adopted by a single parent? What if the husband is deceased? Are you suppose to carry around adoption papers and death certificates? LOL

Why is this an LOL? My kids mother is deceased, and US Department of State required the death certificate to get the passport, and highly recommends carrying the certificate while traveling out of the country. I'd much rather carry an extra piece of paper than be caught away from home without it.

Anytime you travel with children outside the US you should have a letter from the other parent. It's a high flight risk as agents have no way of knowing your personal situation (I.e. Happily married or in a contentious divorce)

Personally I have found when going into Canada we're always asked about it. One time I totally forgot one, we were trying to go from Buffalo to Detroit via Canada to visit my sister. I had the boys passports but no letter, of course he asked for one. I told him I didn't have one. Luckily he asked the kids where dad was & if he knew where we were going, they answered and he let us go. But I was seriously sweating it. Ever since then I always remember the letter!

Why is this an LOL? My kids mother is deceased, and US Department of State required the death certificate to get the passport, and highly recommends carrying the certificate while traveling out of the country. I'd much rather carry an extra piece of paper than be caught away from home without it.

You got to it before I did. Like you, my sons mom is deceased and I had to send in the death cert with his passport application. As a back up I just keep a folded copy of the cert in his passport, just in case, and I have had to show it. As many of you know, BOTH parents need to be present when applying for a child's passport. This goes back to one parent trying to take the child from the country without the other parents permission.

Im married and travel alone with my girls on cruises without their father and have never needed any kind of documentation. My understanding is it only applies in cases of divorce, to ensure there isn't a custody issue.

How does CBP know what is going on in your marriage and determine whether to ask you or not?

Seems like a case where having the letter would be much more simple than being in the situation of needing it and not having it.

My understanding has always been that this was advised if the mother and children had different last names. Don't think I have heard of this needed in any other situation, but I do not have any direct experience,

There reason is .. There have been times that a parent has taken his or her children out of the country and fleeing the U.S. instead of staying here and losing custody. This is why they request a letter from the non traveling parent.

You have to have a notarized letter from the parent not going on the cruise giving their permission for the child to be taken out of the country.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sometimes they ask for it sometimes they don't.

I had the letter with me both times my son cruised with my sister and I.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

there are so many wrong guesses in this thread..

the fact is.. if you are asked for the letter and you don't have it you won't pass through customs and you won't cruise. I guess it comes down to how lucky are you feeling? do you want to bet the cost of a cruise against 5 minutes of time and a couple of dollars to a notary.