Dressing for Europe -November 2014

Been to Rome in November/December the past two years. It was cold, by Los Angeles standards, in the mid-high 50s during the day and in the 30s at night. Expect rain and some awesome thunderstorms.

For touring dress in layers, jeans or khakis are fine. I always seemed to be unpeeling when others were putting on. Oh, FWIW everyone wears a scarf and many Romans seem to be prepared to battle the arctic.

Also, they do not understand the CA kid uniform of hoodie & shorts. DD is finally being accepted as 'that crazy American girl' after two years.

Edited by SadieN

Hi

You can't bank on the weather in November. We were in Spain last month and it was in the 80's F. Last year at the same time we had temperatures in the 70's F and severe storms.

Basically expect anything, but it shouldn't be cold.

Casual is fine, but you won't see many capris.

Mal

Do this: It would be perfect! :) I would only take one dress or skirt, but otherwise 4 pairs of pants and a mixture of layering tops and sweaters. Most of this could be taken from your everyday wardrobe, adding a few of your pieces of jewelry. You could buy scarves over there and make them very useful souvenirs!

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2012/10/project-333-2-weeks-with-accessories.html

Edited by 5326jan

Just wear your normal clothes. You can't avoid looking like a tourist, if that is your fear. Locals don't go where the tourists go!

Of course they do -- this is just a ridiculous response. :rolleyes:

For example, many of the places people visit are churches that are still active. Local people worship there.

Do you not think that locals visit their own art museums? I know that I visit the major one in my city at least twice a year.

I would have no trouble finding a restaurant, even in the center of the historic area of Rome, with a higher percentage of locals than tourists. (I would avoid the ones full of tourists at all costs...)

And anytime you are out walking, you are among a mix of people who are vacationers, those who live in the area, and those who work in the area.

--------

When I travel in Europe I plan to dress reasonably nicely in any major cities. That doesn't preclude nice jeans, although they are not a personal favorite, but probably best to avoid slangy t-shirts, sloppy track pants, etc. Unless you are a teen and can get away with anything, lol.

Any resort area (e.g., a Greek island) would call for more resort-ish clothes -- more casual but still not sloppy. For the most part, Europeans older than around mid-20s tend to look very pulled together whatever the weather or situation. Every time I go to Paris or Rome in the winter, I always leave with coat, scarf, and boot envy.

Overall, dress in layers and be prepared for wind, rain, and possibly chilly weather.

For example, many of the places people visit are churches that are still active. Local people worship there.

Do you not think that locals visit their own art museums? I know that I visit the major one in my city at least twice a year.

I would have no trouble finding a restaurant, even in the center of the historic area of Rome, with a higher percentage of locals than tourists. (I would avoid the ones full of tourists at all costs...)

And anytime you are out walking, you are among a mix of people who are vacationers, those who live in the area, and those who work in the area.

--------

When I travel in Europe I plan to dress reasonably nicely in any major cities. That doesn't preclude nice jeans, although they are not a personal favorite, but probably best to avoid slangy t-shirts, sloppy track pants, etc. Unless you are a teen and can get away with anything, lol.

Any resort area (e.g., a Greek island) would call for more resort-ish clothes -- more casual but still not sloppy. For the most part, Europeans older than around mid-20s tend to look very pulled together whatever the weather or situation. Every time I go to Paris or Rome in the winter, I always leave with coat, scarf, and boot envy.

Overall, dress in layers and be prepared for wind, rain, and possibly chilly weather.

As always, we agree on all of this.:D

In colder weather when I travel in European cities, daytime is usually my nice jeans (sorry cm), a nice white long sleeve Tshirt or a light sweater shirt, a jacket appropriate to the weather (either my black leather jacket or my insulated tan leather coat), and a selection from my plethora of scarves. I have a few other layers that I can add if the weather calls for it. Nighttime, I'll swap out my jeans for black pants or my LBTshirtD. Easy peasy, easy to pack!

Yes, boot envy!!! I so wanted to buy a pair this trip, but the shopping gods did not agree - ended up with another very cool distressed brown leather jacket… I'll have to add it to my cool weather travel collection ;)

--------

^^ Ditto.

As always, we agree on all of this.:D

In colder weather when I travel in European cities, daytime is usually my nice jeans (sorry cm), a nice white long sleeve Tshirt or a light sweater shirt, a jacket appropriate to the weather (either my black leather jacket or my insulated tan leather coat), and a selection from my plethora of scarves.

It's not that I don't like jeans on others, I think they can look great. They just don't work out for me in a travel context. ;)

Since I often travel in late fall and winter in Europe, my next "holy grail" will be finding a perfect coat -- not too heavy, not too light, well styled and somewhat rain impervious....

It's not that I don't like jeans on others, I think they can look great. They just don't work out for me in a travel context. ;)

Since I often travel in late fall and winter in Europe, my next "holy grail" will be finding a perfect coat -- not too heavy, not too light, well styled and somewhat rain impervious....

Let us know if you find it! I need one for our cruise to the Fjords and Arctic Circle, but don't use one enough at home to want something heavy. I like the idea of a 3 in 1, if they would just make them a little longer and sleeker looking.... 3/4 length would be good.

I live in jeans, so for me, jeans are just part of what I think of wearing in Europe. Now, if I'm there in the summer, I'd definitely not take 'em. Some of my "newer" ones are not traditional heavy denim, but are pretty light with a tad of stretch to them. Decent to pack. Put them with my black boots or Jambu flats and I'm OK.

My tan leather coat is substantial AND heavy - it was meant for winter wear. It was a gift from my now-ex. I took it to Europe for my 3 week winter trip a few Februaries ago. I've love to find a lighter coat like you. I'm thinking thigh-length, a wool or wool-blend in black….

I've love to find a lighter coat like you. I'm thinking thigh-length, a wool or wool-blend in black….

Yes! I am heading to the Caribbean for a cruise between Christmas and New Year so at the moment I am thinking resort wear. But after that, I plan to STALK the winter sales to find something for my 2-week trip to Italy in February.

Yes! I am heading to the Caribbean for a cruise between Christmas and New Year so at the moment I am thinking resort wear. But after that, I plan to STALK the winter sales to find something for my 2-week trip to Italy in February.

Do you have any time built in to the Italy trip to do a little shopping????

I have two minds on it: 1)Find what I want ahead of time and wear it or 2)take what I have, see if I can find what I want in Italy, buy it….. decisions, decisions :D

What are you planning in Italy this time?

You said November? I would bring lots of black, and a few colorful scarves.

Some nice boots if you have them. Layers. A leather backpack or tote.

Enjoy!

I grew up in France and I was there two weeks ago. In winter we wear mostly black pants, black coat and color scarves. I wear jean in the US, but I never wear jean in Europe.

M

I have two minds on it: 1)Find what I want ahead of time and wear it or 2)take what I have, see if I can find what I want in Italy, buy it….. decisions, decisions :D

In Florence this past year we had such a fun time shopping for a leather jacket for my daughter. I like bargaining. We got a great price, because they could tell I would be fine if we didn't buy anything. Loved seeing the back rooms of the shops, with the sewing machines.

Have fun!

I have this insulated coat from Lands end in turquoise and black - LOVE it. It's thinsulate, somewhat water resistant & great for travel! And I got them on clearance at a great price. But they're too big on me now. I mean, I will wear them but they're not flattering on me, so I'm looking for replacements. What Lands End has now doesn't look as warm (no thinsulate)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANDS-END-WOMENS-BROWN-QUILTED-JACKET-SIZE-MED-/251400158683?pt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&hash=item3a889dfddb

I have just returned from a 10-week land tour in France and it seemed me that no self-respecting French female (aged from 10 to 90) would even consider stepping out her door without a scarf. Yes - even the stylish little girls wear them. This was true from the warmer weather in September (light-weight scarf) to the cooler weather in November (warmer scarf). All worn and tied in what seemed like a hundred different ways.

Porthopper's advice re the black pants is also right "on the button" - especially in the cities.

We have also cruised in the Med area in November and found that "layering" was definitely the way to go - long pants, long sleeve T or lightweight jumper, jacket and, of course, a scarf. The scarf is also handy if you need to cover your head when visiting some churches.

And don't forget your most comfortable shoes. You will do a lot of walking. Enjoy.

I have just returned from a 10-week land tour in France and it seemed me that no self-respecting French female (aged from 10 to 90) would even consider stepping out her door without a scarf. Yes - even the stylish little girls wear them. This was true from the warmer weather in September (light-weight scarf) to the cooler weather in November (warmer scarf). All worn and tied in what seemed like a hundred different ways.

Porthopper's advice re the black pants is also right "on the button" - especially in the cities.

We have also cruised in the Med area in November and found that "layering" was definitely the way to go - long pants, long sleeve T or lightweight jumper, jacket and, of course, a scarf. The scarf is also handy if you need to cover your head when visiting some churches.

And don't forget your most comfortable shoes. You will do a lot of walking. Enjoy.

We've been in Spain & Italy during the early part of November for the past 4 years, I would say the quoted post is exactly what you will see. Scarves were on everyone, even men. Layering is important as it may be cooler in the morning and, by early afternoon, be quite warm. Most men & women wore dark pants or skinny dark (black) jeans usually tucked into boots.

People were definitely dressed better than you see on the streets in the US.:D

Sherri:)

Hi, just back, this was our 4th or 5th trip to Rome, & 1st real trip to Paris, I always thought Romans were well dressed, but they have nothing on the Parisians :)

I plan on posting some photos later, but I pretty much lived in:

3 pairs of pants: skinny jeans, skinny dark grey cords, & black leggings.

Wore my black leather boots almost every day, they were definitely needed to keep my legs warm.

I took 3 longish black cami tanks & wore them under long sleeved tees for warmth, took 3 black v neck long sleeve tees, & two striped ones, they are fitted, dressyish tees, not baggy type.

Took two long cashmere cardigan type sweater, one that borders on a coat. Also took cashmere gloves & 4 different long scarves as well as a long cashmere sleeveless sweater type thing...I'll have to post a picture, don't know what to call it.

It was freezing in Venice, & I added a beenie to my wardrobe, I would not have survived without it!

Paris made Venice look like a nice spring day, it was gorgeous, almost no cloudy days, but it was freezing, 30's & 40's plus wind chill! Lucky me, I got to buy a terrific wool coat on the Champs Elysee ;) Again, wold not have survived without it, the boots, hat, scarves & gloves.

Took black ballet flats, but did not wear them in Paris, too cold.

Hope this helps.

When I'm traveling, I'm not much for dedicated shopping. (Of course, sometimes one runs across things, but I don't usually go looking for them...they just 'find' me. ;))

The coat is something I've been thinking about for more than a year. I didn't find anything last year; maybe this year I'll be luckier. Definitely black, definitely longer than a moto jacket, definitely something I can wear in the rain (e.g., not leather).

At any rate, I'm going to be in Rome the first and last weekend of the two weeks. The rest of the time I'm going to be taking an intensive Italian course in Naples.

When I'm traveling, I'm not much for dedicated shopping. (Of course, sometimes one runs across things, but I don't usually go looking for them...they just 'find' me. ;))

The coat is something I've been thinking about for more than a year. I didn't find anything last year; maybe this year I'll be luckier. Definitely black, definitely longer than a moto jacket, definitely something I can wear in the rain (e.g., not leather).

At any rate, I'm going to be in Rome the first and last weekend of the two weeks. The rest of the time I'm going to be taking an intensive Italian course in Naples.

Sounds like a good time in Italy!!! And, I hope a jacket pops up and "speaks" to you!!!