HAL Characters

Jemery

I wouldn't use the word "characters", but I do know there have been many "well known" people on HAL over the years. Certainly Mama Lou, Dolly, Babaloo, and Kissin' Annie were known by all the staff and crew, and a good many passengers through the years.

Babaloo was a refugee from Vietnam who I met on a cruise in '92. If there was music playing out on deck, he was up dancing along, clearly enjoying his life.

Kissin' Annie had sequined ball caps to wear at night. She loved to dance, and would walk up to any man sitting there (alone or with companion), and pull him up to the dance floor. Every man had his turn---whether he wanted to or not. She was medically evacuated from a ship back in '03, and died in Edinburgh.

Maybe I'm confusing people but wasn't or isn't there a lady who brings a Teddy bear to dinner? Not even sure she is or was a HAL cruiser. As I vaguely remember the stories she would bring a Teddy bear to dinner and have a place set for the bear. Might even have carried on conversations with the bear. Really not sure and this might be nothing more than my foggy memory. :o

On two of my cruises we've seen a portly guy who looks a bit like Santa and who wears suits and hats that are a different colour each side. ie black and white, red and black. He seems to have a never-ending supply of them. Anyone else seen him? My first sighting was on the Ryndam to Alaska about 5 years ago.

Maybe I'm confusing people but wasn't or isn't there a lady who brings a Teddy bear to dinner?

You're right; there's at least one such person, and may be several. I did see one couple who brought a bear to dinner, appropriately dressed each evening. I don't know that there is any name for this couple.

I also remember hearing about "Tarp Man", and "The Hat Lady" (shared a table for 20 days with her before I moved).

I'm told that the crew refers to me as "The Muumuu Lady".

Ah, yes..... Tarp man.

We were visiting Maasdam in Boston one Saturday and saw him breeze through the terminal. I couldn't believe my eyes! :D

Also, Keith. The very nice gentleman loved by crew for whom they made a set of whites like the HAL Officers used to wear. They put Five stripes on his epaulets. :)

Edited by sail7seas

You're right; there's at least one such person, and may be several. I did see one couple who brought a bear to dinner, appropriately dressed each evening. I don't know that there is any name for this couple.

I can think of a few ... :D

There was the legendary Cruise Director Susan "Toodaloo" Woods who was both well-loved and reviled, but ultimately left a ship mid-cruise in a mysterious burnout.

I remember Susan Woods very well. We had her for cruise director on several cruises and ships.

Her husband and she were renovating part of an old castle at one time.

I cruised with a lady one time that carried a doll around everywhere. The doll was dressed in various HAL uniforms:D.

I remember her. The doll even had a passport that she presented to customs. It came to muster drill with a life jacket on. She carried it held out in front of her as though she was warding off evil spirits. Some days it was dressed like a HAL employee, like Cruz chic said. Really weird.

Edited by sapper1

I remember Susan Woods very well. We had her for cruise director on several cruises and ships.

Her husband and she were renovating part of an old castle at one time.

Didn't she leave Maasdam during Voyage of the Vikings?

We met Susan on our holiday cruise last Christmas on the Maasdam. We really enjoyed our time with her. She always said ''toodledo'' and soon we were saying it back whenever she gave announcements . Hope all is well with her.

We met a lady on the Prinsendam who shared our table, she was from Texas and her name was Abby. She was known by the staff and crew. Did anyone ever have the chance to meet her?

I remember her. The doll even had a passport that she presented to customs. It came to muster drill with a life jacket on. She carried it held out in front of her as though she was warding off evil spirits. Some days it was dressed like a HAL employee, like Cruz chic said. Really weird.

I forgot about the passport. She was on the Apr 2008 cruise to the Caribbean and then again in Nov 2008 to Lima. I haven't seen her since. Maybe the doll got fired:D:p;).

We came upon him about 5 years ago on the zuiderdam , he was stationed in the buffet, and had the uncanny ability to rememeber your name after meeting you just once--he would see you during the cruise and call you by name--very impressive--we still talk about him!!

We met Susan on our holiday cruise last Christmas on the Maasdam. We really enjoyed our time with her. She always said ''toodledo'' and soon we were saying it back whenever she gave announcements . Hope all is well with her.

We met a lady on the Prinsendam who shared our table, she was from Texas and her name was Abby. She was known by the staff and crew. Did anyone ever have the chance to meet her?

Is it possible you might be thinking of Linda Menkin (sp ?).

Did Susan Wood return to HAL?

Susan Wood never returned to HAL after that incident.

There was talk here about two different Susan's: a front office Susan for the public and a back office Susan for the staff. I believe she was asked to pitch in with more non-public duties and she said no, bye. The word prima donna was uttered. Must be in the CC archives.

I remember very well Susan Wood. She was an excellent and very lovely Cruise Director. Kissin' Annie: Oh my, do I remember her! I cringed on my Crow's Nest bar stool when I saw her approaching. Silent prayer: "Don't choose me! Oh, please, don't choose me!"

But, still, she was a pleasant person and I do miss knowing that she won't be aboard my next cruise.