A costly TA lesson re cancellations

PinotBlanc

Just want to share a lesson learned today. We had to cancel an April to May Trans-Atlantic b2b with a Med cruise on Celebrity.

If we had booked directly with Celebrity we would get a full refund of deposits.

On the other hand, the Travel Agent charged $24.99 for each booking and $100 for each cruise. We lost $250 by booking early with a travel agent.

Penny

We have used one of the largest cruise ta's but they charge a cancellation fee. We had two more cruises booked and they charged us the fee for canceling another cruise. We are now using a different TA.... I wonder if it was worth it to them to lose someone who books two or three cruises a year in balcony/aqua cabins. I think it's a case of "too big to care"

The agency I used to transfer my booking to (prefer to book myself) now charges a fee. So I stopped transferring my booking :confused:. Yes, I loose out on an OBC but I don't loose if I cancel.

@OP sorry it cost you and I think it is a great post because many people forget to ask if there is an agency cancellation fee and just assume that because the cruise line doesn't charge the they can cancel without penalty.

Ditch your TA-you have been ripped off.

When we shopped for our on line TA there were four things that were critical-

-no agency charge for cancelled cruises

-no agency charge for re-pricing (ie when the price decreases)

-no agency charge for cabin re-assignment (when we can upgrade for no money or a better cabin location becomes available

-charges to our credit card are ALWAYS done by the cruise line, NOT the travel agency.

Never had a problem dealing with a number of on line agencies who all met this list of 'must haves'.

Edited by iancal

While you may be out the $24.99, you may be able to still use the $200 toward a future cruise if you book with the same TA. Call your TA to confirm. We cancelled with a travel agent (perhaps the same one as you since the fees were identical), and they indicated that the $100 per cruise could be put toward a future cruise if we booked it within a year of cancellation.

We have used one of the largest cruise ta's but they charge a cancellation fee. We had two more cruises booked and they charged us the fee for canceling another cruise. We are now using a different TA.... I wonder if it was worth it to them to lose someone who books two or three cruises a year in balcony/aqua cabins. I think it's a case of "too big to care"

Was this the "con" of this agency?

-no agency charge for cabin re-assignment (when we can upgrade for no money or a better cabin location becomes available

-charges to our credit card are ALWAYS done by the cruise line, NOT the travel agency.

Never had a problem dealing with a number of on line agencies who all met this list of 'must haves'.

Offering a different perspective, I do agree with the last three "must haves", but I do understand if a TA charges a "minimal" fee for cancellation. I think the OP's fees were excessive but an agency that charges $25 or even $50 is ok to me because they would have spent quite a bit of time with me to arrange the booking, etc. I understand the value of their time and I know that they charge because they want people to book cruises who, within reason, are pretty certain they will be taking that cruise. They make their money off of sailed cruises, not booked cruises! Because I never book a cruise without being positive (as positive as one could be in this world) that I am going to take the cruise, it doesn't really bother me because unless disaster strikes, I am going on the cruise. And, if disaster did strike, I am not going to fret over $50 because I probably have worse things to worry about! We just switched from a smaller agency that didn't charge to a larger, online agency that does. My perks with the new agency far exceed their cancellation fee. The smaller agency didn't have any perks but had extremely good service. Well switch was well worth it in my opinion. But, at the same time, I understand where everyone is coming from!

Edited by BobbyD

X2. Add to that a competitive OBC.

It is not difficult to find a TA that meets these requirements.

Well said.

I agree with this if the fee is for a new or infrequent client; but if you are booking several cruises a year for someone, it is a cost of doing business and should be waived. I am sure that some clients are very high maintenance and the fee is well earned if cancelled. My TA doesn't have a cancellation fee; but I haven't cancelled a cruise either.

I am amazed at the number of people who think TAs should work for nothing.

If you went to work and the boss sent you home after 2 hours would you expect not to get paid?

You're right....I figure the folks on the phone make maybe $12 an hour. Since my booking takes less than 10 minutes (I know exactly what I want including the cabin when I call), that works out to $2 of time. I could live with a $10 cancellation fee.....$100 is excessive gouging, in my view especially since none of the other online TA's charge a cancellation fee (AFAIK). As I suggested, they got me once for a change fee (yes, I knew their policies)....and they have lost at least three more cruises because of it. The same day I cancelled that cruise, I booked another with them (foolish me)...but since I had already moved the first cruise once, they charged me the cancellation fee. The only reason I booked the other trip was that they had a group fare I couldn't get elsewhere...it was my last booking with them.

WE have worked with small business TAs for years.... years ago, airlines paid them a fee for booking air, today no more. Years ago they never charged a cancelation fee, today they do. The travel business is not an easy business to be in today.

So we usually book directly with the cruise line because we book 1.5 years in advance. This far out sometimes we change our mind. Then we don't pay any canceling fees. Before final payment we transfer our booking to our TA, then she get the benefit of the booking and we get a small obc as well. It is a win win that way.

I am amazed at the number of people who think TAs should work for nothing.

If you went to work and the boss sent you home after 2 hours would you expect not to get paid?

This is not a valid comparison. You simply can not compare a TA that does not charge for cancellations or changes to the scenario an individual who is paid by the hour not being paid for time at work. A better example would be a commissioned salesman who loses a commission if a sale is cancelled or returned and this happens all the time as it is just part of the job - just as cruise cancellations and changes are part of the business.

Another example is retail businesses which, in the vast majority of cases, give full refunds on merchandise returned. To turn your point around I could ask if you'd do your Holiday gift shopping at stores that do not give refunds, or give only partial ones? If not then I'd ask if you expect them to run their stores for nothing. The bottom line is that most retail/consumer businesses do not charge for sales that do not go through but instead rely on completed transactions to cover all of their profits and expenses.

There are many, if not the majority, of travel agencies in the USA who do not charge for changes or cancellations. At the same time it is the consumer's responsibility to understand terms before chosing to do business with a company. I'm sure there are many cruisers who are looking only for the biggest discount or OBC but never ask about fees that go the other way or about other service issues.

Edited by Lsimon

Just to chime in here, I also use two TAs that do not charge any fees.

I have to admit that I have been tempted by some of the prices for that TA that does charge and maybe I'll use them if I book a last-minute cruise when I'm sure I won't cancel (I never have) or change cabins (that I do).

I don't expect my TA to work for nothing. I have sent her a lot of business over the years. And, so far, I've never cancelled a cruise. But I would still not work with a TA that charges a cancellation fee.

And it sure is nice having someone to deal with Celebrity when prices drop and I change cabins or the website doesn't work and I want to book an excursion or I can't order luggage tags but she can take care of it. All I have to do is pick out the cruise(s) I want and the cabin(s) and she takes care of the rest.