John and Diane are at it Again!

Johnny B

Thank you for the time you took every day to write this blog. You are so upbeat in all your observations and I can tell you two really had a wonderful time on this cruise. I will miss reading your blogs when the cruise ends. We were on the WC in 2011 so reading your blog was like re-living our cruise. Gene and his fiance were on the Prinsendam last year when we were on the Mediterranean Cruise.

Will you cruise again next year?:eek:

thanks for your nice comments. we do indeed have a wonderful time and can only wonder at people who are fortunate enough to be on a world cruise and still complain.

right now we're at The Boatyard in Bridgetown, Barbados and I highly recommend it. there's a beach like powdered sugar, water at about 85 degrees, a $20.00 entrance fee which can be used as a credit at the restaurant/bar, and happy hour beginning at 10:00 AM. what could be better?

In answer to your question, we have just booked Ft. Lauderdale to Dubai next year because we promised our granddaughter we wouldn't miss her birthday again on April 11.

We have taken several Cunard Line world cruises and have really enjoyed your wonderful blog which has given us a new perspective on world cruise itineraries and the happenings on board a different ship. Now considering HAL for next year. Thank you for taking so much time each day to post such long and informative posts and photos on Facebook.

I agree with the others your blog has been such fun to follow. As your WC comes to an end I'll miss reading about your adventures over my morning coffee.

A WC is now on my bucket list and moving ever closer to the top.

Enjoy your last few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Day 109

Castries, St. Lucia

This port is one of the “makeup” ones (in addition to one day in Cape Verde Islands) for the two days we didn’t call in western Africa. It’s the one Caribbean port we haven’t been to (of the four we’re visiting), so a taxi tour was called for. We joined our friends Bill and Marty, found a taxi driver, and told him we wanted to see the Pitons and the sights in that area.

When I looked at a map, I measured the distance from the port to the Pitons at about eight miles. Unfortunately, that is “as the crow flies.” In road distance, the drive is about an hour and a half, but the scenery along the way is just beautiful. St. Lucia is in its dry season, but it still looks darned tropical to us. The main crop is bananas, and boy, are they everywhere. Julian, our driver/guide, stopped along the way and bought a bunch of them and they were delicious.

The Pitons (Petit and Gros) are two tall and conical volcanic peaks, one taller than the other. One is about 2400 feet tall and the other 2600. Looking at them from the road, as we did, they appear to be side by side, but we read and were told that they are three miles apart. Julian said he has climbed Petit Piton 21 times and that it takes about an hour an a half. I think if I tried it, it would be more like 12 hours. We stopped to take several impressive photos, which I’m sure John will post on Facebook.

On the way back, we stopped at what is called, “The World’s Only Drive-In Volcano.” The last eruption of this particular volcano was in the late 1700’s, after which part of it collapsed in upon itself. Because of that, the parking area and the guided walk are in the caldera of the volcano, and across the caldera are openings out of which steam pours. There are also bubbling mud ponds in that area, which used to be open to visitor walks. However, several years ago a guide wanted to show his tour group how soft the ground was, so he jumped up and down. Whoops - wrong decision. The ground gave way and he fell into a boiling pond up to his waist, suffering second degree burns from his waist down and then spent six months in the hospital. Now that area is fenced off, with good reason.

By the time we returned it was about 2:45, and time for a very late lunch. For the first time this cruise, we headed out to the “Dive-In” (formerly the Terrace Grill) and had hot dogs. They weren’t ordinary hot dogs, though; they had spicy mustard, sauerkraut, and crumbled bacon - yummmm!

Arriving back at our cabin, we found that our room stewards had delivered gifts: our luggage, ready to be filled. This, of course, is always the most depressing part of the world cruise. It reminds us that it’s almost the end, and it also requires work and thought. What do I have to leave out to take directly home on the plane and what can I do without for the four or five days it takes for our shipped luggage to arrive? Although tomorrow is Dominica, I think the morning will be dedicated to filling those suitcases and making those decisions, followed by an afternoon at the beach.

Sailaway was great fun. A Caribbean steel band boarded yesterday in Barbados, and they will be on board until Ft. Lauderdale, providing the sailaway music. With them playing today, there was dancing, laughter, and a conga line - who knew? We’re down to just four full days left, but it’s still a great deal of fun.

Ah the dreaded luggage. Speaking of luggage how many pieces do u take and how do you ever decide which/how many clothes to bring.

I look like I'm moving in for just a 2 week cruise!

So enjoying your blog

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Day 110

Roseau, Dominica

Well, there’s good news and there’s bad news. The good news is that it looks like our internet minutes will last until we hit Ft. Lauderdale. The bad news is that today is our major packing day. I guess the good thing about that is that, come tomorrow, all that work will be behind us. It really is nice to have two bags each shipped for us, and while we thought we’d have to buy either a new suitcase or a box from the front desk, it looks like everything will jam nicely into the huge cases we’ve brought. We have the two large bags each for free shipping as well as a smaller bag each which we’ll check in on the plane home. They’re big enough for all of our “stuff,” but as I repack I can see the things I brought but didn’t wear. Why did I think I’d need six pairs of capris?

Unlike most ports, where we get off as soon as we can, today began with the gym, then breakfast, and then the suitcases. Before even beginning to pack, I had to count the number of evenings left (four) and then choose outfits for those dinners. The days will just be shorts and tops, but we do all dress for dinner. Then I could begin.

The plan for all of our suitcases was to fill them about half full with clothing and then use that base as a cushion for our many, many purchases. We have masks (I think either four or five), carvings (a 7-piece creche, a giraffe, two warriors and a woman carrying a water bowl) along with lots and lots of other things, including some really lovely “pillow gifts” given along the way. I also purchased two rolls of bubble wrap, so all of the breakable things can be protected. Then, atop the “goodies” go more clothes, so that hopefully everything will arrive in one piece.

The one thing that isn’t going in a suitcase but in an airplane carry-on is the stone mask that John bought in Colombia (I think) waaaay back in December. It’s as heavy as a rock - oh wait, that’s what it is - and has some bits that could easily break. It has now been double bubble-wrapped (I love reading that phrase aloud) and placed in the carry-on with the cameras. Hopefully, it will get home in one piece.

After almost finishing, we decided that it was time for a break, so we walked off the ship, across the bridge and into the middle of town. We couldn’t have docked in a more convenient place. We were here two years ago, but our taxi tour took us outside of town, so we hadn’t really seen much of it. John wanted to see the large stone church on the hill, of which we could only see the steeple, so we walked up the hill, only to discover that it is in the middle of renovation and closed up tighter than a drum. That particular hill is occupied half by the Roman Catholic church undergoing renovation and half by the Methodist church. Even though the latter is in good condition, it was locked up for the day.

Afterwards we explored the Fort Young Hotel, a lovely place with open terraces (and free wifi) and then saw the very moving monument to the liberation of the slaves in Dominica. Behind the Dominica Museum there was a small market, made up of non-profits selling local goods. Two years ago, I bought a necklace made up of several strands of multi-colored wooden triangles, but I didn’t buy the matching earrings, a fact which has irritated me ever since. Well, today I remedied that situation; I am now the proud owner of a pair of earrings which match my necklace.

We returned to the ship after a couple of hours of wandering, ready to face the fearsome job of completing our packing. I think I’m just about done now and have only to pack those things which I’ll wear between now and Monday. I even have my airplane outfit on a hanger next to hangers holding my dinner clothes. I’m never this organized; I guess it’s John’s good influence.

So, now it’s just enjoy St. Martin and then two sea days and this lovely adventure will come to an end. I have such mixed emotions that sometimes I don’t know whether I’m coming or going.

I still look forward to your posts everyday (when internet onboard cooperates), and will miss them when the WC ends. I think a few Caribbean days is a nice way to wind down. I am surprised that HMC was not one of the added days. One question...if you ask for suitcases to be delivered at an earlier point in the cruise will they accommodate that request? I don't mean all of the bags but one or two to be filled with items you will not need. I join everyone else in thanking you for the journey!!!!! Cherie

thanks for your nice comments. we do indeed have a wonderful time and can only wonder at people who are fortunate enough to be on a world cruise and still complain.

right now we're at The Boatyard in Bridgetown, Barbados and I highly recommend it. there's a beach like powdered sugar, water at about 85 degrees, a $20.00 entrance fee which can be used as a credit at the restaurant/bar, and happy hour beginning at 10:00 AM. what could be better?

In answer to your question, we have just booked Ft. Lauderdale to Dubai next year because we promised our granddaughter we wouldn't miss her birthday again on April 11.

I have enjoyed cruising right along with you!!! Thank You!! I totally agree with you on going to the Boatyard!!

Friday, April 25, 2014 - Day 111

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

What a wonderful day we had on this schizophrenic island, divided between Dutch and French. We docked on the Dutch side, but with our friends Bill and Marty, we took a taxi to the French side because the beaches over there are just spectacular. Our taxi driver, a woman who said, “Just call me mamma,” made us laugh and laugh all the way to the beach. Her favorite word was “*******,” and she was quite detailed about who qualified for that term. We learned some local gossip when we passed by a funeral at the Methodist church. The man being buried was “a *******” who had heart problems but took ****** anyway and didn’t survive his last “encounter.”

We went to L’Orient Beach, which is divided into five sections. Our destination was Bikini Beach (well named), where we paid $10.00 each for cushy lounges with a large umbrella for shade as well as extremely fast internet right on the beach. The sand was again quite powdery and the turquoise water was the perfect temperature. We alternated between just lying there ruining our skin and getting into the water to swim. About 11:30 we decided it was time for a little liquid refreshment, and the rum punch and beer were excellent. For entertainment, we watched various topless women walk by, but almost all of them should have covered up. Haven’t they ever heard of gravity?

Even worse was the couple who wore matching fluorescent orange g-strings - not a pretty sight.

An hour later it was time for lunch, so we ordered a swordfish sandwich to share and a side of calimari. We could have been served on our comfy lounge chairs, but we opted to move up near the beach bar where there were equally comfy seats surrounding large wooden tables. By the time we had finished, it was 2:00 and time to meet “Mamma,” who had returned to drive us back to the ship.

This afternoon, from 4:00 to 5:30, was what the ship called the “Complimentary Grand Farewell.” That meant that the drinks were on the house and the sailaway hot hors d’oeuvres were even better than usual. We had a steel band orchestra playing, and the dancing and conga lines were evidence that the alcohol was working! It was a great time, and the midships Lido pool area was packed with people celebrating our last sailaway of the cruise. Of course there were always those who just came to pick up a drink and then headed to Deck 8 aft, but they missed out on a lot of fun. Henk, the Hotel Manager and Gene, the Cruise Director, joined by some of the bar staff, were right in the middle of the fun, leading two different conga lines.

There are certainly a lot of mixed emotions about the cruise coming to a close, and I think I saw a few tears on faces today. There will be even more tears tomorrow, because the Captain’s Farewell Champagne Reception always brings all our emotions to the surface. 

Saturday, April 26 - Day 112

At Sea en route to Ft. Lauderdale (Boo Hoo)

Two sea days and that’s it. There are certain clues, even for one who didn’t know that the cruise was coming to an end. First, I could no longer send out laundry, because it wouldn’t be back in time. Second, when I went to the front desk to get quarters for the washing machine (oh, the pain of doing my own laundry!), the queue extended almost into the hallway. I wanted to say, “But I only want four quarters,” instead of questioning the bill which came in our room’s mail this morning. However, being the agreeable, non-confrontational person I am, I waited patiently until I found myself in front of our friend Paula, Manny’s fiancee, who gave me my four quarters. A lovely treat on the bill was a $71.06 (each) credit for landing fees not used in Senegal and Gambia. Our total bill (at least so far) is even less than I had estimated.

There are so many wonderful things about a world cruise, but there are many little things that make me smile and “make my day.” Some of them I’ve written about before, but I don’t like them any less for repetition. The first thing that comes to mind with that description is fresh-squeezed orange juice - every morning and in whatever quantities I want (although I’ve always just had one). I can’t imagine how many oranges it takes to put through that machine to keep the glasses full.

The second thing is a silly one, I guess. I do love having little rolled up washcloths in the public restrooms with which to dry one’s hands. It is such a spoiling little thing, but it’s so much better than paper towels.

Since I’m sitting here right now, I’ll tell you my internet secret. The long table at the end of the library is just in front of a wooden wall, behind which is the ship’s main server. Everything online is faster here, especially when I’m posting photos for John’s Facebook page. Some staterooms are better than others, but this spot is just the right one.

I love knowing that the Crow’s Nest is the best, quietest place to read in the morning on sea days. There’s a whole row of reclining chairs with ottomans, and they all look out on the ocean. It’s just perfect. John, on the other hand, finds that his favorite quiet place to read is on our verandah, for much the same reason. He can just look up and watch the ocean go by. Sometimes I suspect that the reading is just a cover for staring at the ocean. He can describe all the changes as we sail, and seeing flying fish or dolphins really makes his day. Actually, after four of these cruises, it’s nice knowing our ship backwards and forwards, so that I know where things are and how to get there.

I love getting to know many of the crew members. Our absolute favorite is Manny, who’s been our favorite bar server since 2010. He always has a smile and a kind word, and having been to his daughter’s birthday party in Manila, we’ve pretty much adopted each other as family. He even calls us “auntie” and “uncle,” and we’ve really enjoyed getting to know his fiancee, Paula. His backup server is Ronaldo, whom we also like a lot. In the coffee shop, Mary is my favorite. She knows my regular order (a skinny cappuccino with a half pump of mocha) and is invariably sunny and smiling. We discuss church services, since we attend on Sunday mornings and she attends the crew service at 11:00 Sunday night. It brightens up my day just seeing her anywhere around the ship. We really like our dining room steward, Yuyu, because he’s very, very good at his job and has great recommendations off the menu. However, his assistant waiter Franco is just a hoot. Both John and I agree that we’ve had him in class sometime or another, or at least a goofy kid who reminds us of Franco. He’s cute and funny - but very good at his job.

Although we don’t know them as well because they seem to be like good fairies, working when we’re not here, we really appreciate our room stewards, BangBang and Supri. When we leave for the gym and then breakfast in the morning, they sneak in and clean our room, change our linens, and make sure the room is in tip-top order. When we leave for the Crow’s Nest before dinner in the evening, they sneak in again, turning down the bed, leaving fresh towels, and putting chocolates on our pillows. They really are quite wonderful. When we get home, we’ll even have to change our own toilet paper!

A lovely surprise this year has been getting to know Gene Moimoi Young, our Samoan/American cruise director who is doing the job that Bruce Scudder did for years. Many people just don’t like change and, especially at the beginning, made Gene’s job more of a challenge, but we really do like him and appreciate all of the diverse jobs he must do to keep the programs on the ship going. He’s getting married to the lovely Jodie in August, and we wish them all the best.

So there it is. There are too many things I like about this cruise and this ship to include, but you get the picture.

As your epic voyage winds down I want to once again thank you so much for sharing your delightful commentary of the world cruise. Your wonderful attitude toward life shows through your writings and I looked forward to it daily. I don't expect that I will ever take the voyage, and I appreciate having you so graciously take us along. :D

Safe travels back to California, thanks again for sharing your amazing journey around the world with us. :D

(P.S. I already look forward to the 2015 world cruise, should you be inclined to share that with us also. :cool:)

Edited by localady

I have enjoyed the voyage also! Thanks for all the work of putting this together - I would love to do a fantastic voyage like this! Not sure my husband is up for it - but we'll cross that bridge when we retire!

One of our goals is to go on a world cruise when we retire. Seeing this thread has convinced me to pursue it and that one might not be enough!

Thank you for all the great insights, small bits of humor and generally well written posts.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 - Day 113

At Sea en route to Ft. Lauderdale - and home

It’s strange but even though this is the last day of the cruise, it is really quite ordinary. It’s a Sunday, so we began at the Exploration Cafe for cappuccinos and then to church. Our friend Larry says he can always tell that it’s Sunday because we don’t wear exercise clothes. As a last day celebration, I had Belgian waffles with strawberries and bacon - such extravagance!

We had Trivia and then used some of our 380 Dam Dollars (which I think are now called Grand Dollars) to buy a clip-on light for my Kindle, a pedometer, and a box of Trivia cards. After lunch it was “last chance” tanning out by the pool, and now here I am at the end of the library telling you all about it. As I’ve said before, I really do have mixed emotions at this point. Shipboard living, especially on a Grand Cruise, is really wonderful, but we’ve been away for 4-1/2 months - since December 18 - and I really am pretty ready to be home. We’ll be there after three flights: Ft. Lauderdale to Houston (with a 2-hour break for Mexican food), Houston to Los Angeles, and then LAX to San Luis Obispo, where my running partner Jan will pick us up. I can’t wait to get back on the trail, especially to take off some of this cruise weight.

Last evening we had what was probably the best entertainment of the cruise. Rita Rudner, who headlines in Las Vegas, is a Saturday Night Live alum, and writes both books and screenplays, had us laughing our . . . well, you know. She was up there for a full hour, and we just laughed and laughed. If you get a chance, look her up on You Tube. She, like many comedians, looks at life from a different angle, and her delivery is just wonderful. She’s been on the ship since Barbados with her 13-year-old daughter, a lovely young lady with whom I chatted in the library this morning.

This evening will be bittersweet; we’ll eat at our “formal” table, with Jeff, Ann, Cathy, Ian and Carol, after spending some time in the Crow’s Nest saying goodbye to our favorite bar staff. Marty Henne is playing the piano in the Ocean Bar at 9:30, and then it will be back up to the Crow’s Nest for final goodbyes. Tomorrow will be too frantic for proper goodbyes, so it will have to be tonight.

After we’ve been home for a couple of days I’ll wrap up this lengthy piece of writing, but not until I’ve got some groceries in the pantry and a few miles under my belt.

P. S. I don’t know why Cruise Critic replaced my perfectly harmless words with asterisks, because it just makes them look worse. The word used twice is a synonym for donkey, and the other one is the name of a little blue pill advertised on TV. Just thought I’d let you know.

P. S. I don’t know why Cruise Critic replaced my perfectly harmless words with asterisks, because it just makes them look worse. The word used twice is a synonym for donkey, and the other one is the name of a little blue pill advertised on TV. Just thought I’d let you know.

Thank you for explaining. I had imagined a lot worse. :confused: