Long cruises and medications

Benita

Not that I have the time off to take a 6 month cruise, or for that matter,, take any prescription meds, but a friend and I were wondering how people can stockpile enough medications, as most drug plans only supply a month at a time.

Not that I have the time off to take a 6 month cruise, or for that matter,, take any prescription meds, but a friend and I were wondering how people can stockpile enough medications, as most drug plans only supply a month at a time.

My guess is that you show proof to your insurance carrier that you are going on long trip(paid for cruise) and they let you get enough medicine, but just a guess.

We have Kaiser and there are no such restrictions, that and the insurance has no deductible and pays 100% world wide. Never heard of limits though with the new" govt plan" the deducible s are going to rise into high 4figures.

You could also arrange to have your local doctor/pharm fed Ex you the drugs

My wife commonly gets a 4 month supply of her meds....

For us snowbirds we can apply to get the extra when going away for an extended time

If your extended plan covers you for a shorter time we can also just pay upfront & claim for the meds later

I normally get my meds for 2 mths anyway so I apply for the extra month or so if I need it

Lyn

One phone call to most plans and you can set up a travel " override." We have done this many times and have gotten whatever we have needed to cover us for the trips.

Edited by orchestrapal

We have Kaiser and there are no such restrictions, that and the insurance has no deductible and pays 100% world wide. Never heard of limits though with the new" govt plan" the deducible s are going to rise into high 4figures.

You could also arrange to have your local doctor/pharm fed Ex you the drugs

My wife commonly gets a 4 month supply of her meds....

Just because you have never heard of limits, doesn't mean they don't exist... You cannot just get an unlimited supply of medications.. Ambien is a controlled substance, and you have to by law go to SEE your doctor every six months to get a new script written.

I have in the past been able to get a "travel override" for a one month supply. But I think you are only allowed this once a year. I have only had to do it once a year.

One phone call to most plans and you can set up a travel " override." We have done this many times and have gotten whatever we have needed to cover us for the trips.

Same thing with us. They will overide the restrictions for a valid reason.

DW and I have completely different insurance plans and we both are able to get 3 month supplies with three refills every year. We did a world cruise of 4 months so we got sufficient meds two different ways. We are allowed to order our refills 2 months after our last refill so were able to plan ahead and for about 9 months refill after 2 months and thus stock up enough additional to cover the 4 months and a bit more. Also, phoning the pharmacy and mail in pharmacy and telling them on other meds that we are leaving on an extended vacation, they were glad to provide sufficient meds before we left home.

Saw no problems in having enough for 4 months and 6 months is only one more refill and no doubt that would be fine as well. Understand different plans have different requirement but, simply plan enough ahead and if necessary talk to your pharmacy or doctor and get the rest. Should not be a problem

but it is only for Ambien as that is all I take. I have had to cut down and stock pile for long periods. Anyway, we were in medicine and it is good to cut down some. If someone is taking statins, then cutting down is nothing...as they usually give you more than you need.

I am a physician. Deal with this all the time. Some insurance plans will only allow one month at a time refill for any drug. My husband has one of these plans. It is an issue for us as he has to take his BP med every day. Options are paying out of pocket or applying for an override. Since his med is not that expensive, I just pay out of pocket.