Dropping jamaica as a port?

sawtooth

I read a review of the Panama Canal partial transit that said the Island/Coral we're dropping Jamaica as a port of call and replacing it with Grand Caymans on all their future cruises.

Can anyone confirm this. I wonder why they would stop going there?

I read a review of the Panama Canal partial transit that said the Island/Coral we're dropping Jamaica as a port of call and replacing it with Grand Caymans on all their future cruises.

Jamaica is not safe, especially around the port areas. Lots of drugs, gangs and guns. If you go to Ochos Rios to shop, you are specifically told to stay within the duty free complex which has armed security guards at the gate and every high end shop has an armed security guard. Kingston is pretty much the same.

Grand Cayman is lovely and very safe.

As for the safety or lack thereof don't go by what anyone on here says. Go to the real source for travel information on the safety of places...the U.S. State Department. Here is a link there for information on Jamaica:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html

It pretty much tells it like it is and you can judge for yourself what you think.

Whether or not a port is safe, sometimes it's the perception that affects passenger preferences. Several ships have pulled out of Jamaica and from what I've read, the port experience has gone downhill with shops closed and a look of abandonment.

Jamaica is as safe as any other Caribbean country you just have to use common sense. ...

Simply not true.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html

"THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. Embassy employees as well as private U.S. citizens are advised to avoid traveling into high-threat areas including, but not limited to Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers, Canterbury, Norwood, Rose Heights, Clavers Street and Hart Street in Montego Bay. "

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/jamaica-vacation-warnings-1375.html

Dangerous Areas

The U.S. Department of State advises tourists to avoid Kingston, New Kingston and other urban centers or secluded areas after dark. Evening walks on beaches should be avoided and tourists should travel in groups of two or more to avoid being seen as easy targets. Crime is also a problem in Montego Bay. Travel on public buses should be avoided, as a crowded bus offers the perfect opportunity for a thief to steal your wallet or other belongings. Expensive items, such as jewelry, cell phones or cameras, should be kept out of view when you are out in public areas.

Crime Threats

"Kingston has witnessed a decreased level of violent crimes reported in the last year. However, the decrease may be attributed to numerous factors including: a State of Emergency that was effected May 23, 2010 and lasted approximately three months; police road blocks; prominently placing photographs/posters of wanted criminals in the news media; information provided to crime stoppers; and an increase in police patrols. "

https://www.osac.gov/pages/contentreportdetails.aspx?cid=12216

"For calendar year 2011, there were murders (nearly 1,124), shootings (1,322), carnal abuse (637), rape, (738), robberies (3,033), break-ins (3,409), larceny (372), and fraud (121). With a population of approximately 2.7 million people, the number of murders and other violence causes Jamaica to have one of the highest per capita homicide rates in the world. Most violent crimes, especially murder, involve firearms. Violent crime is a serious problem, particularly in Kingston."

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica

Crime

"There is a high level of violent crime and murder mainly related to gang activity and reprisal killings in inner-city communities in some major cities. Police may impose curfews with short notice in areas where flare-ups have occurred.

Maintain a high level of personal security awareness at all times, follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media.

Violent crime (armed robbery, kidnapping, murder) and petty theft (pickpocketing, bag snatching) occur; particularly in Kingston, Spanish Town and in Montego Bay. Although the presence of security and anti-crime troops has intensified in major urban areas, drug- and gang-related violence occurs, including shootings, and can result in death, injury and destruction of property. There is a constant risk of becoming the victim of crossfire. "

I dis agree with the above post. I have been to Jamaica over 15 times. Jamaica is as safe as any other Caribbean country you just have to use common sense. Don't wear flashy jewelry, don't get into an unauthorized cab, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

Really? Take a look at the State Dept. web site: "Crime, including violent crime is a SERIOUS problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston, Montego Bay, and other major tourist areas." The primary concern for tourists is armed robbery and crimes are exacerbated by the lack of and ineffectiveness of police.

So I really think you need to re-think your "common sense approach and advice".:confused:

Whatever the reality, the perception is widespread that Jamaica is not safe.

Princess has been offering the choice, with some cruises stopping at Ocho Rios and others at Grand Cayman. Evidently the passengers have voted for Grand Cayman.

When we were choosing between these options, my TA advocated for Grand Cayman because she felt that Ocho Rios is dull. She said "once you've seen Dunns Falls that's all there is." But we haven't seen Dunns Falls, and as far as I could tell Grand Cayman is nothing but a nice beach. So we opted for Ocho Rios.

I avoided any cruises with Jamaica on the itinerary after our first cruise together back in 1989. We enjoyed climbing Dunns River Falls on an organized excursion. It was the unsafe feeling we had in town and rude attitude of some people in the straw market area that made us never want to go back.

When the only way we could do a Panama Canal cruise included the stop in Jamaica three years ago, we stayed on the ship and enjoyed the day.

Two memories of Jamaica stand out. One was on a Princess sponsored tour of Jamican Gardens our group was approached numerous times by persons trying to sell us drugs. You could not go to the restroom without being offered drugs. Number two was the two ladies being charged $22 for a two block cab ride. They panicked after being swarmed by vendors and jumped into the cab for safety. The police said they should have negotiated the fare so there was nothing they could do. Glad to hear Jamaica is dropped.

We've travelled several times around the Caribbean and have visited Montego Bay twice. The first time, we did a ship's excursion to Negril and we were shocked that armed guards were patrolling the beach and Police Officers came by at various times throughout the day. I have the photos to prove this!

When we returned last year we took the port shuttle and the driver refused to take us anywhere except The Strip. He told us there would be shuttles waiting to take us back to the ship. We have never been so frightened and we have travelled extensively and independently around the world. Drugs were readily available and there were LOTS of unsavoury characters. We walked along the street then back to the pick-up point only to be told there were no shuttles available. We tried to hire a taxi but they all quoted exorbitant amounts. Fortunately we did eventually find one nice guy who charged the correct rate. We've never, ever been so glad to get back on board. If Jamaica is ever on our itinerary again we will not leave the ship and that would be the first time ever.

Edited by tartanexile81

This fall Coral has been alternating Jamaica and Grand Cayman. All the itineraries after January are just Jamaica. I would prefer Grand Cayman -- if it were changed, I would book!

Whatever the reality, the perception is widespread that Jamaica is not safe.

Very true and, feel sure, most had rather go to Grand Cayman which is extremely safe.

We've never minded having a port stop in Jamaica ... but we've never gone wandering around on our own there either.

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

Kingston has been a no-no for a very long time, and cruises do not go there. The tourist part of Jamaica is just as safe & unsafe as any other place in the world....common sense is your best friend! Be aware of your surroundings. If you stay in the tourist areas and don't wonder off on your own, you will be fine. If you get offered drugs....no thanks. If you just bought a diamond ring, take a cab back to the ship, don't walk back with your big "I just spent thousands on jewels" bags!

IMHO

This has been an interesting thread. I've never been to Jamaica before and planned my November 2014 5 day cruise because it stopped there and I've always wanted to visit. My Panama Canal cruise stopped in Grand Cayman and I agree it is a lovely island and I've never felt unsafe there.

So far, the only place I felt a tiny bit unsafe was Cartagenga. Mostly because a police officer came on our Princess excursion with us.

I'm still going to enjoy Jamaica either way. If it's too terrible, I'll be sure to not plan a cruise that stops there in the future.

Whether or not a port is safe, sometimes it's the perception that affects passenger preferences. Several ships have pulled out of Jamaica and from what I've read, the port experience has gone downhill with shops closed and a look of abandonment.

I've been to Ocho Rios once, and I did wander around outside of the complex. I didn't feel unsafe so much as annoyed that people looked at me like I was an unattended twenty-dollar bill.

There was a time in the early 2000's when Princess stopped going to Jamaica because they thought it was unsafe. After Carnival took them over they went there again, don't know if they were told to or if they decided it wasn't so bad after all.

We've been there several times and now just stay on the ship.

I do remember our first visit where a young woman at our dining room table told us how she did something to "disrespect" one of the people trying to sell her drugs and she was snotted! Want to know what that is, well this guy held one nostril and blew. :eek::mad:

My ex-business partner was from Jamaica. He told me as a child the security bars were installed on the bedroom doors rather than the exterior doors. The idea was not to upset the burglars by locking them out but protecting yourself while you slept. He had a couple of investments in Jamaica but he refused to let his wife or kids go to Jamaica as it was too dangerous. That was enough reason for me to never go.

Mark

I dis agree with the above post. I have been to Jamaica over 15 times. Jamaica is as safe as any other Caribbean country you just have to use common sense. Don't wear flashy jewelry, don't get into an unauthorized cab, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

While Jamaica will have its supporters, it simply isn't true (and frankly rings of irresponsibility) to suggest that it is "as safe as any other Caribbean" island. There is plenty of room for opinion on island preferences, but the safety of Jamaica as compared to other Caribbean islands (visited by cruise ships) isn't really subject to debate.

As a gay man, I would not step a foot on Jamaican soil. The human rights abuses in that country are horrible.

+1

Completely agree with this. (Well, except for the gay man part -- I'm not gay. Or a man.) As far as I'm concerned, spending tourist dollars in Jamaica is no different than supporting the old apartheid regime in South Africa; both are giving tacit support to regimes that champion the violation of basic human rights.