Dining: open seating or scheduled?

trkmas3122

Hi all,

Right now we have an open seating for dinner. Since it's getting close to our cruise, I want to make sure we made the right decision. I've heard bad things about open seating instead of planning a time. What is everyones take on this?

Thanks!!

It depends on your dining preferences. Some people like the structure of the same time, same tablemates to chat with every day and waiters who know their likes. We prefer Select dining because we don't always eat in the MDR but at Specialty or alternate locales, and at different times, depending on what we had for lunch.

Have had them both, and on larger ships, prefer fixed. Our Celebrity cruise we had super good waiter and assistant, but all lines have made cuts since then.

Our last cruise was HAL where we requested fixed but got open. Tried it 3 times and didn't like it, so ate from then on in the buffet, a much happier place.

I always do the secheduled dining. One, because I travel alone and I like being able to have the same tablemates; have met some great folks on my cruise. I also like having the same waiter and assistant waiter, because they learn your likes and dislikes.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We have tried both, they have their pros and cons. We like the flexibility of anytime dining. Have never had a problem waiting for long periods.

Early is too early, late is too late.

BUT my husband prefers to eat with the same people each evening, so for our last cruise we had early.

Edited by upwarduk

We prefer fixed late seating and ask for a table of 6 or 8. We like to dine with the same people and have the same waiters.

However, on our last cruise, we were assigned to a table that was not well located and the MD' could not reassing us; we then asked to be switched to select dining. We appreciated the flexibility but are still booked fixed late seating for our TA next April; we hope we will be assigned to a well located table in the central part of the lower level.

I am traveling solo this time around. Early seems way to early and late seems way to late. I usually like to eat around 7-7:30 p.m. Have gone back and forth for my cruise in January. Finally decided I would go with Select. In the past I have met people throughout the trip or through roll call and sometimes join them and sometimes choose to eat alone or in an alternative venue.

My DH and I enjoy Select Dining, as we like to eat the same time, or about the same time each night. Also, we enjoy a table with an ocean view;usually we retain the same one each night, as we tend to eat early. Like many have already stated, having the same waitstaff is great. They have things ready for you ahead of time, and those little things can make a big difference. We love to converse with our waiters, and learn all about them.:) On our last cruise our favorite waiter was on our new ship, and remembered everything...He got an extra big tip!

Edited by Lastdance

I always do the secheduled dining. One, because I travel alone and I like being able to have the same tablemates; have met some great folks on my cruise. I also like having the same waiter and assistant waiter, because they learn your likes and dislikes.

I agree:) Hi Nancy:D maybe we will be tablemates again sometime in the

future!

Edited by Lois R

Either traditional or select is good. I prefer select. It is more flexible. Eat at different times,.dine as a couple or with other people. When I travel with a group traditional is my choice. Everyone knows what time and where to meet. As a couple, we like select. You can make reservations or not. Either chpice works. I find select dining moves faster. Have a nice cruise.

You can ask for the same wait staff every night with Select dining. They learn your preferences the first night and it's no different than traditional, except it's a lot faster getting out of the dining room.

We used to do early seating. most of the time we had nice table mates, but there have been enough times when our table mates were less than ideal. That's when we went to Select and we never looked back.

We have done both and haven't any significant complaints about either. We find that we do prefer an intermediate dining time as opposed to the fixed times of regular dining. Late seating is too late for us and early seating can often make for a hectic day if coming back from port excursions. The plus to fixed dining is being seated with the same group of fellow travelers and sharing experiences over the course of the cruise. However, we have had experience with fixed time seating when we have been at a table for 6-8 and after the first day most our tablemates never reappeared, so that benefit was sort of lost. LOL. My wife said I needed to really work on my social skills and perhaps get some help for my personality disorder. Anyway, I think we prefer the flexibility of select dining, plus we have found that socializing with adjacent tables (if seated at a table for two) or being seated at a larger table still permits social interaction.

We've had both but prefer the Select seating. Back a few years ago when we had fixed seating (everyone did) we usually sat with nice people but there were a couple of times when we got stuck with some really obnoxious people. They would talk politics, be braggarts or constant complainers. One time we sat with a group who were consistently late every night which was annoying to us and to the waiters. On the other hand, we have met people who have become lifetime friends and with whom we cruise on a regular basis. It's difficult sometimes but we like the Select or Choice much more.