The cost of world cruises

sun-set

Does anyone know why world cruise prices are so high, we would like to travel as we did in the past by sea to Britain, but compared with other cruises the fare per day is much higher.

One would expect as with other commodities the more you purchase the cheaper the prices, not the reverse.

Perhaps it really costs the cruise lines more, or is it they just find people that think it's a trip of a lifetime so who cares about the money.

World Cruise prices have always been high.

Anything that is a one off is much higher than a standard cruise that visits the same ports over and over again. They have to ship containers of supplies....like frozen food...around the world to meet up with the ship in certain ports. Also there is a wider selection in the food available....I think you would get sick of a 7 day menu repeating itself every week . They also have more events and activities than a normal cruise. Guest Entertainers have to be flown to meet up with the ship and then be flown home again.When we were on a sector we watched a container being unloaded on the wharf and stowed aboard. It was amazing what came on board , everything from food to furniture.

Bargains or discounts do occur, but they are usually for sectors of the cruise and you have to be almost ready and waiting for them as they sell out like hot cakes.....and you would need to have access to cheap last minute one way flights , to out of the ordinary ports.

Some of the lines also shower the guests with gifts as they travel around the globe. HAL is one that does this.

World Cruise prices have always been high.

Anything that is a one off is much higher than a standard cruise that visits the same ports over and over again. They have to ship containers of supplies....like frozen food...around the world to meet up with the ship in certain ports. Also there is a wider selection in the food available....I think you would get sick of a 7 day menu repeating itself every week . They also have more events and activities than a normal cruise. Guest Entertainers have to be flown to meet up with the ship and then be flown home again.When we were on a sector we watched a container being unloaded on the wharf and stowed aboard. It was amazing what came on board , everything from food to furniture.

Bargains or discounts do occur, but they are usually for sectors of the cruise and you have to be almost ready and waiting for them as they sell out like hot cakes.....and you would need to have access to cheap last minute one way flights , to out of the ordinary ports.

Some of the lines also shower the guests with gifts as they travel around the globe. HAL is one that does this.

Thanks for such a good explanation Kiwi Kruzer, we will look again at world cruises with all this in mind, cruises are great value compared to traditional holidays so I guess any extra expense has to be passed on.

Instead of booking an overpriced world cruise, consider utilising a repositioning cruise back to Europe on one of the lovely megaships that ply their trade down under during the northern winter [returning around feb/march], then book a separate Mediterranean cruise from a plethora of ship offerings, and fly back. You will have a better choice, and pay less overall.

When comparing World Cruises (prices) you must also work out the daily rate for whatever cabin grade you want - there is quite a total difference between P&O (84 days) and Princess (106 days)

In fact, I would dispute the idea that WC's are any more expensive than shorter cruises on a daily basis. A lot depends on whether you are comparing early booking at glossy brochure prices - with late last minute "fill 'em up" prices.

If you are wanting to go TO Britain by sea - this is the return leg for a P&O ship and quite often you will find some good deals to be had. But you have to be QUICK if/when you see them.

In 2010, we got an inside cabin on Oriana for 42 days for $5500 each - and return to Australia on Arcadia for $6500. We actually got upgraded from those inside cabins - to an outside on Oriana and a large inside for Arcadia. I believe that since then, even better prices have been around.

Barry

When comparing World Cruises (prices) you must also work out the daily rate for whatever cabin grade you want - there is quite a total difference between P&O (84 days) and Princess (106 days)

In fact, I would dispute the idea that WC's are any more expensive than shorter cruises on a daily basis. A lot depends on whether you are comparing early booking at glossy brochure prices - with late last minute "fill 'em up" prices.

If you are wanting to go TO Britain by sea - this is the return leg for a P&O ship and quite often you will find some good deals to be had. But you have to be QUICK if/when you see them.

In 2010, we got an inside cabin on Oriana for 42 days for $5500 each - and return to Australia on Arcadia for $6500. We actually got upgraded from those inside cabins - to an outside on Oriana and a large inside for Arcadia. I believe that since then, even better prices have been around.

Barry

We (DW & I) don't usually pay more than $100 per person per day for our shorter cruises (up to 14 nights) in an inside cabin. So, yes, Barry, the prices you quote DO show that world cruises ARE more expensive.

I think another reason the longer cruiser are more expensive is because money spent on board is much less than that spent on a shorter cruise...

I remember one RCL cruise that the cruise line had more money spent on it on a 3 day out of Sydney than the 2 week repositioning cruise to Sydney that got it here......

I also think that the stewards and dining staff would make more tips with seven 2 week cruises than they would in one 14 week cruise.

We (DW & I) don't usually pay more than $100 per person per day for our shorter cruises (up to 14 nights) in an inside cabin. So, yes, Barry, the prices you quote DO show that world cruises ARE more expensive.

We also have only paid $100 PP PD for inside cabins -- even less at times. However, these are definitely last minute "fill 'em up" fares -- fine for a short notice, short length cruise. However World Cruises are generally cruises that are planned long in advance and are not so suitable for last minute bookings. World cruises are also in much shorter supply than the regular short 14 day type ones (which are from Sydney basically being in an oversupply situation)

I would suggest that, if you wish to only ever pay $10 PP PD for your cruises, you will either be limited to short cruises to the usual Aussie area ports -- or you will also have to pay airfares to somewhere else in the World. The Aussie area $100 PP PD cruises soon get boring!! :)

So -- you only get what you pay for - and hence World Cruises are not more expensive than short last minute specials, they just cost more and you get far more for your dollar :)

Barry

The cheapest cabins on these Princess world cruises to and from OZ are just on $200 per person per day. That is a lot of money, check the Princess site out for prices. As has been said better deals with P&O UK, as we found out last year. Why are they so expensive? They know they will fill the ship, even at those prices.

Its a good deal if you like eating Corned Beef,boiled suede and stewed cabbage , night after night after night after night.:D:D

You get what you pay for.

Now David -- I know that it is close to Christmas, but let's not let our imaginations get too far ahead of us !! :)

Barry

$100 per day is a very poor benchmark to set for a cruise fare.

You don't get far these days with $100/day if you were to go out and do the things around town that you do on a cruise ship so how can you possibly justify $100/day as being an acceptable level to set.

Actually - I never thought I would ever say this -- but I "could" be talked into doing another one - or probably more realistically a single leg UK to Oz or vice versa. It is a shame we have to fly to the UK to either do one leg or the return leg -- OR both legs!!!

Problem for me with the Princess WC's is the time of year that they go -- TOO hot for me in the places in Asia, Middle East and Mediterranean for me!!!!

Barry

Its a good deal if you like eating Corned Beef,boiled suede and stewed cabbage , night after night after night after night.:D:D

No mate, nothing like that on Arcadia last year, it is the 21st century you know, not the era of ye olde convict ships ! LOL.

The tucker on Arcadia, was in my opinion as good as Princess and less Americanised, we had real bacon, not the nuked stuff. The salad selection was the best I have seen on a ship, even beetroot. We did have fush en chups though, you wud like thet Davud. LOL.

Ah..the Anzac banter.

Edited by NSWP

No mate, nothing like that on Arcadia last year, it is the 21st century you know, not the era of ye olde convict ships ! LOL.

The tucker on Arcadia, was in my opinion as good as Princess and less Americanised, we had real bacon, not the nuked stuff. The salad selection was the best I have seen on a ship, even beetroot. We did have fush en chups though, you wud like thet Davud. LOL.

Ah..the Anzac banter.

Well you were lucky or they have changed their caterers. I could never get a decent salad ,

but the feesh and cheeps were great.:D

Well you were lucky or they have changed their caterers. I could never get a decent salad ,

but the feesh and cheeps were great.:D

Talking about P&O UK here David, not P&O Australia. I am not a P&O Australia fan at all.

Its a good deal if you like eating Corned Beef,boiled suede and stewed cabbage , night after night after night after night.

OMG we are in trouble:eek::eek: ............... we only paid $62 pn for our Arcadia cruise guess we shall be eating "tripe and onions" on a regular basis:D:D:p

Well, I just have to say that Princess is soooooooooo cruel! :cool: This morning I received a LARGE envelope with all details of the 2015 world cruise plastered all over it. Inside was a HUGE poster detailing all the ports they are visiting. I WANT TO DO IT, BUT........$20,000 for the cheapest early bird, and better than launch, fare!

Siiiiiggghhhh, how could they do it....... just before Christmas, too! :(:(:(

OMG we are in trouble:eek::eek: ............... we only paid $62 pn for our Arcadia cruise guess we shall be eating "tripe and onions" on a regular basis:D:D:p

OOOH!! Tripe and onions -- yummo! Can you bring me back some-- my wife absolutely refuses to cook it or allow me to cook it. Grounds for divorce!!!

I must say though that I did find P&O UK food just a little "quirky" -- for example, liver and bacon as an evening meal. I LOVE it -- but I doubt that there would be any other cruiseline that would serve up such a thing.

Barry

OOOH!! Tripe and onions -- yummo! Can you bring me back some-- my wife absolutely refuses to cook it or allow me to cook it. Grounds for divorce!!!

I must say though that I did find P&O UK food just a little "quirky" -- for example, liver and bacon as an evening meal. I LOVE it -- but I doubt that there would be any other cruiseline that would serve up such a thing.

Barry

I liked the kippers for brekkie on Arcadia and the Black pudding. Their cheese boards in the buffet and MDR are also excellent. They make decent curries too with all those Indian Cooks on board. Pom tucker Barry, lubberly jubberly as Jamie Oliver would say.

Edited by NSWP

What more do you want for $62 per night? Lobster? Well you will get that on formal nights after ye olde Tripe and Onions and ye olde black pudding, for desserts try Eton Mess. (work that one out !!) The poms on P&O UK love their soups as well, some interesting ones like Windsor Soup and Oxtail Soup.

Above all enjoy, John and Shiona. Arcadia has just had a big refurb in Bremerhaven, Germany, 24 extra cabins behind the Crows Nest lounge, all cabins have received new TV's carpets, curtains.

Edited by NSWP

Well, I just have to say that Princess is soooooooooo cruel! :cool: This morning I received a LARGE envelope with all details of the 2015 world cruise plastered all over it. Inside was a HUGE poster detailing all the ports they are visiting. I WANT TO DO IT, BUT........$20,000 for the cheapest early bird, and better than launch, fare!

Siiiiiggghhhh, how could they do it....... just before Christmas, too! :(:(:(

Received my envelope today, neither LARGE nor a HUGE poster, I mustn't be a VIP.

Past passenger early booking benefits did include $2,000pp OBC, plus a sateroom (typo) upgrade to a better location within your stateroom type.

Captain's Circle Launch Savings up to $1,000pp. These savings stay with you. If you qualify for a lower fare later, your CC Launch Savings discount can be applied to that fare.

That is good news for early bird bookers.

Looked an interesting itinerary.

The 2015 Worldie is on Sea Princess @ $322 per person per day, cheapest balcony cabin, you have to be kidding, that is more than double what Princess charges for other cruises, e.g. we got a balcony on Golden Princess, 31 days South America - Cape Horn for $148 per person per day. I just cannot understand why these Aussie Princess World cruises cost so much. Well, I do, a captive audience. Yes I know tipping is included and $1000 OBC, but still and all, it is extreme.

Just my 2 cents worth, no I am not anti Aussie Princess, I have been on Dawn Princess and Sun Princess around Australia, Asia and the Pacific, I just cannot accept their pricing on these 'Worldies.'

Edited by NSWP