Tuxedo'a again!!

newyorkray

I know this has been a much discussed topic sine I first cruised Celebrity on my honeymoon in 1995. I had bought a tux for my wedding and my brother's wedding. I have brought it on all of my many Celebrity cruises over the years. We enjoy getting dressed up after a day in flip flops and tees. My question- what percentage of guests wear a tux on formal nights these days? Back in 1995 I'd day 50% tux and 30% business suits. It has been decreasing since. On the Reflection last January it was about 10% tux and 40% suits (the rest casual) I'm going on the Reflection again this January. Should I cart my tux from NY to Fl, just bring a suit or just a sport jacket. I've got my money's worth out of the Tux, 10 cruises and a couple of New Years Eve but it still fits!!! Should I retire it!!

I still bring my Tux, as it takes up the same amount of room in my rolling garment bag compared to a suit or coat + slacks.

On Celebrity, we have been invited to the Captain's Table eleven times -- so it's nice to know we would be prepared for that once again.

On my last Celebrity cruise (June -- Infinity), I would say 30% of the men wore a Tux, 50% in suits, and the other 20% in sports coats.

To me, if my host (Celebrity) says formal, I will wear formal. On Oceania they have country club casual, and that's what I wear. Respect comes in many forms.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

To me, if my host (Celebrity) says formal, I will wear formal.)

BINGO!

Never understood why so many people feel entitled to do as they please once they board a ship. Their host (the ship) has made its preferences quite clear, and the rest of the travelers arrive expecting the same. Then there are those that think the world revolves around them and they can do anything they please since they paid their money. Had they built and owned their own cruise line and ship, I would agree with them, however since they are not using their own ship, follow the wishes of the owner.

I don't get worked up over it, but just wonder where good manners have gone (speaking as a 43 year old who was taught to respect my elders and my hosts).

Thanks, so nice to hear from others who agree. The only non Celebrity ship I cruised was the Norwegian Breakaway this September only because it was an extended family cruise. It has the freestyle so it was always casual. For those who argue they go on vacation to relax and not get dressed up, it's fine. I prefer the Celebrity structure. I was just afraid the folks who refused to adhere to the dress code had won and I'd feel stupid in a tux.

Styles have changed a bit in 18 years, so if you have a more contempory styled suit, you may be a bit more comfortable in that. That being said, if your tux is classic enough, there is no reason not to continue to wear it for formal nights.

I'm a 44 year old who still loves the idea of getting dressed up. I bring my tux all the time on cruises. With the laid back world of today, it is refreshing to see people still getting dressed up.

As a previous poster said, my host requests formal, I dress formal. It's not that big of a deal in my opinion.

I rent the tux and love that it is waiting for me in my cabin when I arrive on board! No more wrinkled suits, more space in my suitcase, and my DW loves the look as much as I do! A tux makes for the best photo op and there are plenty of photographers around on formal night! If you don't want to abide by the Celebrity formal night dress code, then fine . . . eat in the Buffet! Ya won't hurt my feelings one bit! :D

If the tux fits and you like getting dressed up then go for it. We like the chance to get dressed up once in awhile since there are not too many occasions to do so. I've even been known to wear one of my family tartan kilts and Prince Charlie jacket on formal night. You can't get much more formal than that. Unfortunately I need to slim down a few inches before I can do it again.

Cheers!

I know this has been a much discussed topic sine I first cruised Celebrity on my honeymoon in 1995. I had bought a tux for my wedding and my brother's wedding. I have brought it on all of my many Celebrity cruises over the years. We enjoy getting dressed up after a day in flip flops and tees. My question- what percentage of guests wear a tux on formal nights these days? Back in 1995 I'd day 50% tux and 30% business suits. It has been decreasing since. On the Reflection last January it was about 10% tux and 40% suits (the rest casual) I'm going on the Reflection again this January. Should I cart my tux from NY to Fl, just bring a suit or just a sport jacket. I've got my money's worth out of the Tux, 10 cruises and a couple of New Years Eve but it still fits!!! Should I retire it!!

We have done six Celebrity cruises since 2011 and I would say the percentage of tuxes ranges between 10%-30$, with suites about 50-60% and jacket and slacks the remainder.

I did the tux (rented) on our first cruise now do the business suit.

For myself. I've never rented or bought a tux in my life. Never needed a tux and my 55 yesrs old. On our cruises I wear a black suit if in MDR. If I'm eating in Blu I wear jeans or pants of some sort. I've eaten at Oceanview Cafe in shorts on formal night. My feeling are if you want to wear a tux wear it. Richard

I've got my money's worth out of the Tux, 10 cruises and a couple of New Years Eve but it still fits!!! Should I retire it!!

First may I say that I'm impressed that it still fits - seems you are doing a lot right!

Per Celebrity website regarding proper attire:

guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise.
Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

As you can see, formal in Celebrity's eyes is not truly formal, since ladies are requested to wear cocktail dress, gown (which would be formal), or dressy pantsuit.

For men, Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

The gentlemen in suits and dinner jackets are appropriately attired per our host, Celebrity.

*note that Dinner jacket is not the same as any jacket.

Dinner jackets are usually black or dark blue, or white or ivory in tropical climates. White or ivory is sometimes a choice for the summer months in northern hemisphere as well. The dinner jacket is generally worn for semi-formal events or formal events after 6 p.m.

It is so nice to read a thread where the men enjoy their tux's.

Newyorkray, if you have a tux please take it and wear it. As a lot of the women on this board have already said ....a man in a tux looks great and sexy.

OOh, Tantra I would love to see you in your Prince Charles Jacket! That is just about as formal as one can get.

Cheers, h.

11441390523_169b56ef84_m.jpg

I rent the tux and love that it is waiting for me in my cabin when I arrive on board! No more wrinkled suits, more space in my suitcase, and my DW loves the look as much as I do! A tux makes for the best photo op and there are plenty of photographers around on formal night! If you don't want to abide by the Celebrity formal night dress code, then fine . . . eat in the Buffet! Ya won't hurt my feelings one bit! :D

Celebrity dress code is jacket and tie. Right? Not a tux although they look very nice if it is not one from your 1960's wedding party. I would rather see an Armani blazer than a tux out of mothballs.

Celebrity dress code is jacket and tie. Right? Not a tux although they look very nice if it is not one from your 1960's wedding party. I would rather see an Armani blazer than a tux out of mothballs.

Actually, it's "dinner jacket". Big difference, but one that tends to be ignored by passengers and Celebrity alike.

You are incorrect, but what else is new. The Celebrity dress code is not just jacket and tie for formal night in the main dining room. You might wish to re-check before you again opine.

Actually, it's "dinner jacket". Big difference, but one that tends to be ignored by passengers and Celebrity alike.

Per Celebrity website a suit is perfectly acceptable

Formal

Assuming the original poster did not read the several thousands of threads on this topic, it always helps to go to the source - Celebrity website can hardly be described as infallible, but they do state their own policies.:o

Slightly OT, I've always been amused that these threads are always about tuxs, but few seem to realize the equivalent of a formal garment for women is a gown. We bash gentlemen in suits but let it slide that many ladies wear cocktail dresses.

Both are within the relaxed Celebrity definition of acceptable dress for formal night

Formal

Assuming the original poster did not read the several thousands of threads on this topic, it always helps to go to the source - Celebrity website can hardly be described as infallible, but they do state their own policies.:o

Slightly OT, I've always been amused that these threads are always about tuxs, but few seem to realize the equivalent of a formal garment for women is a gown. We bash gentlemen in suits but let it slide that many ladies wear cocktail dresses.

Both are within the relaxed Celebrity definition of acceptable dress for formal night

Yah kinda lost me here. :confused: I was just pointing out that the website says "dinner jacket", not just "jacket".

Members of the fairer sex simply manage to look very stylish and elegant in a wider range of apparel. :)

TUX I vote for the tux!!! I don't care if it is "vintage" or more modern - but there is NOTHING hotter than a man in a tux! :cool::o

I'm bringing dh's tux, and this year we bought him the dinner jacket (in cream to be worn with the tux slacks), dark suit and then resort chic. My cruise is about romance and nothing is more romantic that a man dressed up.

For those that claim they just want to kick back and relax - might want to ask your lady (or partner, S.O. - does that cover it?) what she might like. Just saying . . . .;)

Thanks, so nice to hear from others who agree. The only non Celebrity ship I cruised was the Norwegian Breakaway this September only because it was an extended family cruise. It has the freestyle so it was always casual. For those who argue they go on vacation to relax and not get dressed up, it's fine. I prefer the Celebrity structure. I was just afraid the folks who refused to adhere to the dress code had won and I'd feel stupid in a tux.

Not only should you NOT feel stupid, you should wear your tux with pride and confidence. A man in a tux is always a class act.:)

Formal

I have NEVER read anyone bashing men in suits!