On Summit - Seeing Old San Juan?

carolslc

Hi. This has been bothering me for weeks and I thought maybe you all might like a question that's not related to dress code or drink packages. ;-)

We are on the Summit in January, and everyone says we should absolutely see Old San Juan. I would love to, but here's the deal -

We arrive late Friday night - 11 pm, and we'll be exhausted after flying all day, so I don't think that night is an option. We're not as young as we once were. :eek: We're staying at a hotel out by the airport. The Saturday our cruise departs is the weekend of the San Sebastian festival. I've read that - while fun - it will be an absolute zoo. Then the Saturday we return, our flight out is at 1:10 pm. I've only found tours available if your flight leaves later than that.

I'm considering the following options:

1. Not seeing OSJ at all

2. Dropping our bags off at the port at 11 am, then taking our carry-on bags with us to OSJ by taxi. However, due to the festival, I've heard that taxis can't get in and out of OSJ and it could be a nightmare getting a taxi back to the ship. And we'd have the hassle of carrying our necessary items with us that we don't want to check with Celebrity.

4. Actually boarding the ship, waiting until our room is ready (about 1?) and leaving our bags, then leave ship and return by when you're supposed to be back on ship - 5:30?? This way, we can have lunch on the ship and not worry about taking anything more than we need to OSJ. But again, worried about getting a taxi back out of OSJ.

3. Checking everything at our hotel with the bell captain and taking a taxi to OSJ first thing Saturday morning, then taxi back (same issue getting a taxi in OSJ?), then taxi to the port. We'd be missing out on time on the ship, paying for our own lunch, and paying more in taxi fares than we'd like.

4. Disembark first thing when we return the following Saturday, take a taxi to OSJ? Find a taxi that will keep our bags safe and give us some sort of tour? Barrachina doesn't open until 11 am so that's not an option. I've read we should check in for our flight 2.5 hours ahead, which would be 10:40 am, so not much time, if anything would even be open. We are just planning on having a 21" rolling bag each and a backpack, so potentially we could be dropped off and roll our bags around, but on cobblestone streets, it doesn't sound like much fun. But maybe it would be better than nothing?

I really appreciate any advice. You all are always helpful! I have learned so much for our first cruise. My dh makes fun of me for still reading here every day. He asked me this week - "Haven't you learned everything about the cruise there is to know by now?" I told him that not only am I still learning, it's entertaining too. :D

Thanks so much!

I would go to the ship leave everything there ( even at 9 AM) carry-on as well but make sure they put it in the right pile. A lot of people do that, and take a taxi to OSJ. We have walked ( long) from OSJ to the pier but I think you could take a taxi just outside of OSJ to the Pan American pier.

We're spending two nights in San Juan ahead of the cruise, so we will gave all the time we need to explore. I think with your schedule, you should just skip San Juan. All of your possibilities seem so stressful. Maybe you'll have a port stop at San Juan on a future cruise.

Depending on how physically limited you are I would do this:

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

We did it on one of our short visits to San Juan and it was wonderful. We saw all of OSJ and never got tired. The only thing you need to be able to do is stand. I would see if they had availability during any of your time there and do that....it was one of the BEST tours we've taken anywhere.:)

We will be on the Summit in March and plan on doing this option:

"Actually boarding the ship, waiting until our room is ready (about 1?) and leaving our bags, then leave ship and return by when you're supposed to be back on ship - 5:30?? This way, we can have lunch on the ship and not worry about taking anything more than we need to OSJ. But again, worried about getting a taxi back out of OSJ."

That way I will feel secure that I am checked in and ready to cruise. The only drawback would be embarkation delays which would lessen available time in OSJ.

Hi.

We are on the Summit in January, and everyone says we should absolutely see Old San Juan. I would love to, but here's the deal -

We arrive late Friday night - 11 pm, and we'll be exhausted after flying all day, so I don't think that night is an option. We're not as young as we once were. :eek: We're staying at a hotel out by the airport.

1. Not seeing OSJ at all

2. Dropping our bags off at the port at 11 am, then taking our carry-on bags with us to OSJ by taxi. However, due to the festival, I've heard that taxis can't get in and out of OSJ and it could be a nightmare getting a taxi back to the ship. And we'd have the hassle of carrying our necessary items with us that we don't want to check with Celebrity.

4. Actually boarding the ship, waiting until our room is ready (about 1?) and leaving our bags, then leave ship and return by when you're supposed to be back on ship - 5:30?? This way, we can have lunch on the ship and not worry about taking anything more than we need to OSJ. But again, worried about getting a taxi back out of OSJ.

3. Checking everything at our hotel with the bell captain and taking a taxi to OSJ first thing Saturday morning, then taxi back (same issue getting a taxi in OSJ?), then taxi to the port. We'd be missing out on time on the ship, paying for our own lunch, and paying more in taxi fares than we'd like.

4. Disembark first thing when we return the following Saturday, take a taxi to OSJ? Find a taxi that will keep our bags safe and give us some sort of tour? Barrachina doesn't open until 11 am so that's not an option. I've read we should check in for our flight 2.5 hours ahead, which would be 10:40 am, so not much time, if anything would even be open. We are just planning on having a 21" rolling bag each and a backpack, so potentially we could be dropped off and roll our bags around, but on cobblestone streets, it doesn't sound like much fun. But maybe it would be better than nothing?

Thanks so much!

Too bad you couldn't have flown in earlier on Friday or better still on Thursday.

I will probably be in the minority here ..but you yourself had mentioned that you are not as young as you once were ..(personally I don't think any of are :))

I would probably opt for option 1 and plan to come back to San Juan at a later date and plan for a day early arrival ..the other options you mention offer such a quickie glance at the area.. I don't think honestly you would enjoy yourself..

one other option is to disembark early and have the taxi drive you around OSJ to "glance at some of the sights" on your way to the airport..

Of course this is only my opinions

Hi Carol. We are sailing with you, but are arriving on the 9th, 2 days prior to the previous sailing.

Unfortunately, with your schedule, & the uncertainty because of the festival, I would forego seeing OSJ this trip. No matter what you try to do, you will feel under the gun timewise. If it were not for the festival, you could probably find the time to see at least some of OSJ. Why not board as early as possible, around 11 or so, & just enjoy the ship? You can always plan for the alternate itinerary on Summit next year, & arrive earlier. San Juan is certainly worth spending some time in; it's a great city! If there is a next time, try to stay in OSJ, maybe the Sheraton OSJ, as it is an easy walk to the heart of the Old town.

....and tell your hubby, "no, I haven't learned everything there is to know"!!

See you on board!

I would go with option 5 (which I just made up:)). Sleep in. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast and perhaps a dip in the pool. Head over to the ship around 1:00. You will miss the chaos of the 'have to get onboard ASAP' passengers, and will likely board quickly and be able to go right to your room. Drop off your carry-on bags and then go have a peaceful lunch at the Bistro.

OSJ is interesting if you have never been, and we do enjoy visiting it, but honestly it is not that big a deal. Add the crowds of the event you mentioned and you couldn't pay me to go there. As someone also not as young as they used to be, this is definitely the option I would propose. Otherwise you will start your cruise exhausted and stressed - no way to start a vacation. My opinion.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I would have loved to get there a day earlier, but work and family commitments prohibited it at this time. Hopefully we will make it back and can allocate a couple of days for San Juan. As someone suggested, I would love to do the other itinerary next time. I'm actually glad some have suggested just relaxing and enjoying the ship. I've been worried that I would be missing out on something huge, but laying around the pool on the ship Saturday afternoon then taking a nap sounds just fine to me. :)

I was about to say that..."your cruise leaves at 8:30 pm from San Juan, which gives you until 8:00 pm to get back on the ship" then I decided to do a little background research on the San Sebastian festival and came up with the following....

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-sebastian-street-festival/

Pay particular attention to the photo of the crowds, and the special notes for Cruise Ship guests (at the bottom of the article).

I have a high level of tolerance for stress, and crowds, but I would have to say that in this particular case, as you will be in San Juan on a Saturday, I would go straight to the cruise ship for about 10:30 am and then just get on the ship, and stay there. Breathe a big "aaaaahhh" as you go up the gangway :D:D:D.

I don't think I would leave it too late to take a taxi to the ship, as the traffic feeding into San Juan might just be wicked, even in the morning.

Luckily, the cost of your taxi will be fixed by zone, rather than by time, so you won't have to worry about the meter running, if you get into heavy traffic. At least that has always been the scenario any time we have been in San Juan. It was a one zone trip from the airport to the Pan American pier. I think the fare was fixed at $19 plus $1 per bag.

We love San Juan and the lively people who live there. Try to get back on another cruise one day. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by Waterlily777

I decided to do a little background research on the San Sebastian festival and came up with the following....

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-sebastian-street-festival/

Pay particular attention to the photo of the crowds, and the special notes for Cruise Ship guests (at the bottom of the article).

Whoa - thanks for this link! Based on this, I think all embarkation day options to see OSJ are out the window. :eek:

If your return flight leaves 2:30 PM or later you could do a post Cruise excursion in old San Juan. I know Celebrity offers an Old San Juan tour or there are local tour companies that offer a similar tour. They are staged outside by all the taxis. Just a thought.

If your return flight leaves 2:30 PM or later you could do a post Cruise excursion in old San Juan. I know Celebrity offers an Old San Juan tour or there are local tour companies that offer a similar tour. They are staged outside by all the taxis. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, we're leaving at 1:10 pm, so not quite a enough time. :( Thanks though!

I think OSJ is charming and well worth seeing. It does not have to be a real long time, though. A Segway as an earlier post offered would be ok. A nice stroll. An hour or so just to feel the a nice. Then off to the ship. Have a cab drop you off for a nice coffee in an outdoor cafe. Easy. Very do-able.

Gotta go.

Another vote for Celebrity's post-cruise OSJ tour with airport dropoff.

But as you noted it won't work for you this time.

The good news is that Summit does two different itineraries out of San Juan, so you have another reason to book your next cruise!

We have sailed several times during the San Sebastian festival. The festival itself is actually really fun, especially during the day when the crowds aren't so bad and there is a more family friendly atmosphere. That being said, even during the day, the traffic around OSJ is epic. They close many of the streets, and restrict access for cars and taxis. One year, we cruised from an OSJ pier, and our taxi driver couldn't get us to the Carnival terminal. They had closed the street leading the terminal (apparently only for a short time), and we were stopped and turned around about 5 blocks away. We had to grab our bags and lug them the rest of way!

Given your tight time frame, I wouldn't risk trying to get to OSJ on embarkation day. Even the taxi from your airport area hotel to the Pan Am pier may get caught up in festival traffic. So allow a bit of extra time and save the OSJ visit for your next trip.

Hi. This has been bothering me for weeks and I thought maybe you all might like a question that's not related to dress code or drink packages. ;-)

We arrive late Friday night - 11 pm, and we'll be exhausted after flying all day, so I don't think that night is an option. We're not as young as we once were. :eek: We're staying at a hotel out by the airport. The Saturday our cruise departs is the weekend of the San Sebastian festival. I've read that - while fun - it will be an absolute zoo. Then the Saturday we return, our flight out is at 1:10 pm. I've only found tours available if your flight leaves later than that.

1. Not seeing OSJ at all

I really appreciate any advice. You all are always helpful! I have learned so much for our first cruise. My dh makes fun of me for still reading here every day. He asked me this week - "Haven't you learned everything about the cruise there is to know by now?" I told him that not only am I still learning, it's entertaining too. :D

Thanks so much!

Another alternative is to do #2 and check your bags in Old San Juan. The restaurant Barrachina allows cruise passengers to check their bags at the restaurant for free (http://www.barrachina.com/html/free2.php) starting at 9am. After checking in, take a taxi from the ship to the restaurant, drop the bags, go sightseeing (they're right in the middle of old San Juan), return to the restaurant and have a piña colada (the restaurant is where the piña was invented) while they order you a cab and return to the ship for sail away.

Another alternative is to do #2 and check your bags in Old San Juan. The restaurant Barrachina allows cruise passengers to check their bags at the restaurant for free (http://www.barrachina.com/html/free2.php) starting at 9am. After checking in, take a taxi from the ship to the restaurant, drop the bags, go sightseeing (they're right in the middle of old San Juan), return to the restaurant and have a piña colada (the restaurant is where the piña was invented) while they order you a cab and return to the ship for sail away.

Sorry, forgot to mention Barrachina is a very nice restaurant. I've personally eaten there several times while wandering around old San Juan and would not have any worries dropping off my luggage there. They are very nice people and provide this service as an extension of the excellent service they offer (and no I have no relationship with them :0) ).

The suggestion for SJU airport is 2 hours early, not 2.5 and that is based on checking in luggage which you do not have to do.

If it were me, I'd check in and print boarding pass 24 hours before (either on ship or in port depending on the itinerary). I'd do express early walk off and take a taxi into old SJU. I'm sure you can find somewhere to store your luggage (we have arranged this with a hotel concierge even when not staying at the hotel, for a $$ of course). I'd do a walking visit and brunch in OSJ before taking at taxi back to the airport.

I'd be happy to be at the airport 1.5 hours in advance with only carry on for my flight and am sure that even with just 1 hour it would be OK.

We have also done the Segway tour which was fabulous. If they are open early you would have time to do this and they would store your luggage for you I'm sure.

As others have mentioned though, it is all about your stress level. It doesn't stress us to be the last ones on the plane;).

Another suggestion, one that we did on our last Summit cruise. We took a cab to the airport, checked in to our flights and checked our bags. We then took a cab back to Old San Juan and had a great visit with plenty of time to tour and even had an early lunch. Then we just took a cab back to the airport and got into the security line. While I don't remember the exact time of our flight it was around the time of yours. That way we weren't dependent on anyone's schedule but our own and the taxi wasn't too terribly expensive.