Class distinction on Celebrity

jocelysue

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

By all means go on the X cruise. You will enjoy the friendliness and outstanding service from everyone. The posts you refer to on these boards represent only a small percentage of those actually sailing. I do believe the cruisers on X are more experienced cruisers and expect a little more from their cruises, and I feel they deliver as promised.

Be comfortable in your own shoes...you will have a nice time.

The staff on Celebrity does not treat people differently. But you will hear these obnoxious individuals who will say to staff " I am Elite and ..." There are those who feel entitled but just ignore them.

You will have a great time.

We just attained Elite status. This has to do with how many cruises you have taken. We usually sail in inside cabins, but we are able to get various benefits because of our cruise loyalty. When you are out of your cabin, no one knows if you are sailing in a suite or inside cabin, or somewhere in between. You will be treated with respect if you treat others with respect. We have enjoyed sailing on Celebrity because of their superior service, food, ambiance, and the beautiful ships. Enjoy yourselves.

This is not totally accurate as your ship card does designate a certain class by it's colour.

The Captain's Club level that is printed on it is secondary.

From flashing your card say to board or attend an Elite function the crew member may not know if you have an inside or a balcony but they know if you are Concierge, Aqua class or in a Suite as they each have a different colour.

Thinking X is getting more like Cunard which designates your dinning room by your cabin category.

I wonder if a Balcony cruiser is assigned better seating in the MDR then an inside cruiser?

Thinking X is getting more like Cunard which designates your dinning room by your cabin category.

I wonder if a Balcony cruiser is assigned better seating in the MDR then an inside cruiser?

The only dining room designated by cabin category is Blu - and specific to Aqua Class staterooms. Of course suites are welcome to also dine there provided space is available.

I have been in Concierge, regular balcony and inside staterooms and that has never ever affected my location in the MDR! Please don't try and create a controversy that does not exist. :confused:

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not.

Think of Captain's Club program as a "frequent flyer" program for cruisers. It a small reward for people who are repeat cruise customers. No better or worse, IMHO. Once aboard they do get some small benefits, but other than a free drink or two, and a couple of other minor perks, everybody is treated the same. There is NO class distinction on board.

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

We took our first cruise with Celebrity on the Silhouette in February. We did not feel that we were missing out on anything because we weren't a member of the Captains Club. We enjoyed it so much that we will be cruising with Celebrity for the next 2 years. I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Some folks like to make themselves look/feel important with their suites, perks, etc.

I've never really seen that on a Celebrity ship but I'm also usually in a cabin on a lower deck (and ofter inside), so I'm usually with the more normal people who just want to enjoy a great vacation.

There will always be people who think they are special.....just ignore it and have a great trip!

I kinda take offense at your comments. Do you care to elaborate? Should those of us that have been loyal to Celebrity and have reached Elite, Elite Plus or Zenith feel bad or ashamed? Why do you assume all or most of us are not normal? My wife & I do alot of transatlantic cruises. There are many Elite and higher on these cruises. Do you think we all just sit around and brag about our level, our free drinks or our cabins? Actually, your assumptions about "us" couldn't be farther from the truth. We meet many people here on Cruise Critic and aboard the ships. Many are not at our loyality level, but we make sure we include them in all our fun. If that means going to a different bar or lounge during Happy Hour so they can be included, we do that. The use of vouchers has made that even easier to do now. After 50+ cruises, I can honestly say I have NEVER encountered any passengers with the attitude you envision.

The only dining room designated by cabin category is Blu - and specific to Aqua Class staterooms. Of course suites are welcome to also dine there provided space is available.

I have been in Concierge, regular balcony and inside staterooms and that has never ever affected my location in the MDR! Please don't try and create a controversy that does not exist. :confused:

Not sure what the best seating area is in the MDR I would assume in the open area on the 1st level following that the 2nd deck?

I wonder if a Suite asked for a table for 2 if they would be bumped by an inside cabin passenger even an inside Elite as Suites are now VIP's on the ship and have reserved seating in the theater.

IMO the only noticeable class distinction on X sailings occurs in ports, where they set up a red-carpeted and velvet-roped priority line reserved for suite passengers and Zenith CC members. A crew member will literally throw out his arm to block "commoners" from reboarding the ship the moment someone sets foot on that carpet.

Really tacky, I think. :rolleyes:

IMO the only noticeable class distinction on X sailings occurs in ports, where they set up a red-carpeted and velvet-roped priority line reserved for suite passengers and Zenith CC members. A crew member will literally throw out his arm to block "commoners" from reboarding the ship the moment someone sets foot on that carpet.

Really tacky, I think. :rolleyes:

We saw those silly red carpets on our recent 14 day Eclipse cruise, but never saw a single person using the thing. There were zero Zenith folks on our cruise and there were only 2 booked Zenith passengers on the current cruise. There are so few Zenith's that they are really not an issue for other passengers.

As to the main showroom, they did block-off a few good seating areas for the suite passengers but this was only done at the main shows. Since we like to dine late (after 8) and go to the late shows (formal night shows were at 10:30) there was never any seating problems. We would generally walk into the showroom right at showtime and still have our pick of decent seats.

We personally have no problem with those few extra perks for the suites. Those passengers are paying a pretty big premium for their cabins, and in most of our society money does talk :)

Hank

The OP has a valid point and I have to agree, Celebrity helps to foster this idea. You can only dine in Blu if your a certain cabin status. You only get certain perks if your this or that. We've been Elite status since they started this thing and we generally don't use any of the perks because we don't drink or party much. The internet thing is a joke cause you have to buy time.

Have a great cruise and don't let status bother you,

J.

The OP has a valid point and I have to agree, Celebrity helps to foster this idea. You can only dine in Blu if your a certain cabin status. You only get certain perks if your this or that. We've been Elite status since they started this thing and we generally don't use any of the perks because we don't drink or party much. The internet thing is a joke cause you have to buy time.

J.

EXACTLY! We pay to be in Aqua Class cabin/suites so we can dine in Blu. It's NOT just a smaller version of the MDR. The menu is different. The service is better. We pay for the extras associated with Aqua Class. Doesn't make us any better or worse as people....:rolleyes:

I kinda take offense at your comments. Do you care to elaborate? Should those of us that have been loyal to Celebrity and have reached Elite, Elite Plus or Zenith feel bad or ashamed? Why do you assume all or most of us are not normal? My wife & I do alot of transatlantic cruises. There are many Elite and higher on these cruises. Do you think we all just sit around and brag about our level, our free drinks or our cabins? Actually, your assumptions about "us" couldn't be farther from the truth. We meet many people here on Cruise Critic and aboard the ships. Many are not at our loyality level, but we make sure we include them in all our fun. If that means going to a different bar or lounge during Happy Hour so they can be included, we do that. The use of vouchers has made that even easier to do now. After 50+ cruises, I can honestly say I have NEVER encountered any passengers with the attitude you envision.

I am glad I am not the only one finding some of these posts offensive. The term 'elite' is unfortunate, but Celebrity came up with it, we didn't. If I mention it, it's because it's pertinent to the conversation. If I like some of the new captains club changes and don't like others why is that considered complaining if I explain those viewpoints? I thought that's part of why this website exists. It also doesn't mean I feel "entitled". What I do feel entitled to is benefit of the doubt a s the saying goes. Why presume bad intentions or presume you know how people feel or the intent of their words? I have cruised 24 times on Celebrity and I could count on one hand the number of snobs I have encountered, and have fingers left! The OP need not worry. Geez:rolleyes:

We have had wonderful experiences on Celebrity. Have only gone twice, once in a Millenium class ship, fabulous and once in a Solstice class. We didn't feel secondary at all

:)

Never encountered rude or snobby behavior. Did notice how well dressed people were on the Alaskan cruise 12 years ago. I felt underdressed on boarding day, but after that, everyone was casual. We had many on board from Canada, particularly Quebec , very smartly dressed , really nice table mates

I loved our Quebec friends!

Edited by 4cats4me

The issue isn't whether Elites act entitled (although that would make it worse). The real issue is that Celebrity is leading the way back to the Titantic-style class system on cruises. As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality, those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class. This will be self-defeating, as that is most likely the entry point for new customers. If they feel that Celebrity really isn't any better than the basic cruise line they have been using, they'll go back and never try Celebrity again.

I am an 'elite' Princess cruiser about to undertake my first Celebrity cruise. Princess issues 'elite' people with a black card which many people like to wear around their necks. I don't. I've seen people pushing past the queue waiting to disembark at a port saying, make way, we're elite. I've also heard them ranting at crew proclaiming their status. They are certainly around. The advantage of being 'elite' on Princess is free laundry - as much as you want. I also am apprehensive that cruise lines are returning to the 'class system'. Cunard had the Queens Room where we common people couldn't go. Willl be interesting to see how Celebrity operates - I know there is a lounge we common people can't use, also the Persian Garden I think. At least on Princess there are no areas closed off to everyone and if it is obvious to me that Celebrity is doing this...this will be my last trip. But I WILL have a fun time, I can assure you.

The issue isn't whether Elites act entitled (although that would make it worse). The real issue is that Celebrity is leading the way back to the Titantic-style class system on cruises. As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality, those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class. This will be self-defeating, as that is most likely the entry point for new customers. If they feel that Celebrity really isn't any better than the basic cruise line they have been using, they'll go back and never try Celebrity again.

Are we talking about the same cruise line? I think you are way off base, and are totally wrong. But, then again, I am not a "sky is falling" kind of guy. ;)

I am an 'elite' Princess cruiser about to undertake my first Celebrity cruise. Princess issues 'elite' people with a black card which many people like to wear around their necks. I don't. I've seen people pushing past the queue waiting to disembark at a port saying, make way, we're elite. I've also heard them ranting at crew proclaiming their status. They are certainly around. The advantage of being 'elite' on Princess is free laundry - as much as you want. I also am apprehensive that cruise lines are returning to the 'class system'. Cunard had the Queens Room where we common people couldn't go. Willl be interesting to see how Celebrity operates - I know there is a lounge we common people can't use, also the Persian Garden I think. At least on Princess there are no areas closed off to everyone and if it is obvious to me that Celebrity is doing this...this will be my last trip. But I WILL have a fun time, I can assure you.

Maybe you should have waited until AFTER your first cruise on Celebrity before making ANY comments. You have NO idea what you're talking about. When vouchers are not used, the Sky Lounge is closed from 5-7pm daily for an Elite cocktail party. Any other time, everyone is welcome. The Persian Gardens is free for Aqua Class passengers and can be accessed by anyone for a small fee. I'm sorry you refer to yourself as common, but I don't look at anyone's class.

Hi,

I'm the OP & want to thank, you all for your friendly, helpful. polite & well thought-out answers. They really helped put my mind at ease. :):)

DH & I WILL enjoy ourselves; how can one not do so on a cruise?:D But it will be even better knowing that the service is great for everyone on board and that the staff treats everyone both equally and well.

We certainly hope to make new friends on board as we have in the past. And we will follow your advice: relax, chill out & have a great time.

J.

Can I have your coupons please? The coupons offset the charge so if you are not going to use them...........

At least on Princess there are no areas closed off to everyone

It has been a while since we have cruised Princess but when we did Sabitini's was reserved for suite passengers for breakfast and there was a lounge reserved for suites and higher tier passengers before dinner. Appetizers were served with reduced drink prices.

Since itineraries drive our decisions and not cruise line loyalty, I doubt we will ever see Elite on either line. But...it could be fun trying!