Charged twice on Explorer of the Seas

andiloveu

We just got home from our 10 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas. I went online to check our bank account and make sure everything came out ok. Our seapass charges came out and cleared. However, I was also charged someone elses seapass for $1,133. It has now overdrawn our account. I tried to call but their offices are closed. Do I call royal carribbean or the crown and anchor number? Is there a number I can use for problems like this? If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them. Thank you!

Royal Caribbean should make this right but it may take awhile for them to fix this It is recommended that you do not use a debit/credit card linked to your bank account. This is a tough hit at this time of year. Merry Christmas

I agree. Even if you don't normally use a credit card you should be using one on a cruise vaction

Reason #3,732 why debit cards are just a bad idea all around. My bank sends me a debit card, and I immediately destroy it.

I like to have it for teller deposits and withdrawals, but NEVER use it to purchase.

Not using a good reward CC is losing out on thousands of dollars in benefits over time

We just got home from our 10 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas. I went online to check our bank account and make sure everything came out ok. Our seapass charges came out and cleared. However, I was also charged someone elses seapass for $1,133. It has now overdrawn our account. I tried to call but their offices are closed. Do I call royal carribbean or the crown and anchor number? Is there a number I can use for problems like this? If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them. Thank you!

First call should be to your BANK! The bank will reach out to Royal Caribbean directly and you can do it as well. You are disputing charges, just like if it had been from a merchant you DID NOT KNOW....so the first call is to the bank.

I like to have it for teller deposits and withdrawals, but NEVER use it to purchase.

Not using a good reward CC is losing out on thousands of dollars in benefits over time

Even if you don't use one for rewards, giving a business direct access to your bank account is an act of stupidity. Amazing that people around here will shell out money for travel insurance "just in case", yet leave themselves exposed to much worse financial peril by using a debit card...

Amazing that people around here will shell out money for travel insurance "just in case", yet leave themselves exposed to much worse financial peril by using a debit card...

This thread is about an overcharge and went off on debit cards. You couldn't resist going off on a tangent about travel insurance? :rolleyes:

BTW I agree with you and others, it makes no sense to use debit cards for most things, for the reasons given.

This thread is about an overcharge and went off on debit cards. You couldn't resist going off on a tangent about travel insurance? :rolleyes:

BTW I agree with you and others, it makes no sense to use debit cards for most things, for the reasons given.

Not really "going off" on travel insurance. Just think it's interesting how people embrace certain safeguards, but tend to dismiss others.

Thank you for the info everyone. I called the bank first thing this morning and it was all sorted out. Lesson learned, do not use debit/credit card on cruise. I will be getting a credit card or just use cash next time. It was not a good feeling coming home from a great cruise to find our bank account in overdraft. However, it is all good now. :)

Thank you for the info everyone. I called the bank first thing this morning and it was all sorted out. Lesson learned, do not use debit/credit card on cruise. I will be getting a credit card or just use cash next time. It was not a good feeling coming home from a great cruise to find our bank account in overdraft. However, it is all good now. :)

For my last couple of cruises I used cash. Works wonderful.

First call should be to your BANK! The bank will reach out to Royal Caribbean directly and you can do it as well. You are disputing charges, just like if it had been from a merchant you DID NOT KNOW....so the first call is to the bank.

Actually as a banker, the first thing we will tell you is that (assuming it is a Visa or MC logo'd card) you need to contact the merchant first and give them the opportunity to make the correction. If they refuse to, then you proceed to the dispute phase. If you don't do it just the way they ask for, they will delay your claim or even deny it and make you refile. Do it right the first time:cool:. This is a requirement from Visa and MC.

Actually as a banker, the first thing we will tell you is that (assuming it is a Visa or MC logo'd card) you need to contact the merchant first and give them the opportunity to make the correction. If they refuse to, then you proceed to the dispute phase. If you don't do it just the way they ask for, they will delay your claim or even deny it and make you refile. Do it right the first time:cool:. This is a requirement from Visa and MC.

Yes, but then I have to wait 3-5 business days to have the money back in your account. If I call the bank they immediately give me access.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, but then I have to wait 3-5 business days to have the money back in your account. If I call the bank they immediately give me access.

That time is up to your bank - the FI I work for returns the money in less than a day as soon as the paperwork is filed. Do you know how many people call and say "I didn't do that - put it back!" only to find out the joint on the account did it or they themselves did it and didn't recognize the company name:confused: That's another reason the forms are required BEFORE any money is released;)

That time is up to your bank - the FI I work for returns the money in less than a day as soon as the paperwork is filed. Do you know how many people call and say "I didn't do that - put it back!" only to find out the joint on the account did it or they themselves did it and didn't recognize the company name:confused: That's another reason the forms are required BEFORE any money is released;)

No, I'm saying that if I just contact the company for a refund then I have to wait. If I file a dispute then I don't. I guess I could call the company and then the bank? But that is just a waste of time.

Visa has the requirement of the contact attempt, not the FI I work for. We collect (and most times fill out) the dispute paperwork for the member and then we can credit the money back while it is being processed. BUT Visa can (and will) kick it back if you didn't attempt the contact first. If it's a legit company they should be able to reverse the transaction almost immediately and the dispute paperwork is not necessary. I tell my members if you don't get hold of the company within XYZ hours, file the paperwork and let Visa sort it out.

This is my experience from working for a large regional CU:)

I agree. I went to dispute something on our Visa account, and one of the things I had to check "yes" to was if I had already made an attempt to work it out with the merchant. I hadn't, and I wasn't comfy lying to my CC provider, so I left the dispute and contacted the merchant. And it was all fine.

I agree. I went to dispute something on our Visa account, and one of the things I had to check "yes" to was if I had already made an attempt to work it out with the merchant. I hadn't, and I wasn't comfy lying to my CC provider, so I left the dispute and contacted the merchant. And it was all fine.

That's the way it's supposed to be done, but many are too lazy to go that route

For my last couple of cruises I used cash. Works wonderful.

I thought that one had to use a credit card to cover possible expenses? How did you manage to just use cash? Did you pay for your drinks etc with cash? Did you tip the cabin steward and wait staff in cash also?