"Salute to the chef?

uglybutgoodbakery

We did have select dining, so that must be it. It was so dark I couldn't see my son's face across the table from me, or hear him talking to me. We felt like we got all dressed up to eat cold food.

I think saluting a chef (who is getting paid quite well to do the job) with such pompousness is unnecessary. Now, if I was going to salute someone, it would be the cabin stewards, or the people who do the laundry, or the kitchen hands who sweat daily to make the chef look good -- THOSE are the people who deserve, but don't get, a parade. :rolleyes:

In the parade on our cruise, the wait staff and wine stewards were also saluted.

While I am not quite as bothered as the OP by this display, I am not a fan of singing/dancing waiters and find the event to fall squarely in the cheesy/tacky category. My past few cruises I have not spent much time in the MDR as I prefer the more upscale ambiance of the specialty venues and do not mind paying the up-charge for an upgraded dining experience. I do not frequent restaurants on land where the staff sings and dances and do not desire such antics while on a vacation - especially on a cruise line that purports to be on the upscale end of the mass market spectrum. That said I do understand that many others find this tradition to be enjoyable; so long as they do not add this to the specialty venues there will be a choice that satisfies everyone's desires on this issue.

Well said and I also agree 100%.

Amy Olson

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While I am genuinely sorry that the OP didn't enjoy this cruise ship tradition, I get side-tracked in any thread when anyone elevates cruise ship, frozen, warm water, lobster tail to the status of a special food. Tough, tasteless, usually small, and in no way comparable to a real lobster in my opinion. Now if it were her Beef Wellington that had gotten cold, perhaps I could understand. ;)

I think that the chef gets plenty of recognition, from the Captain's Toast, the galley tour, and other Celebrity Life activities. And while I wasn't thrilled with my Qsine dinner on the last formal night, I'm glad I missed this. I dislike the dancing on Carnival and had no idea Celebrity did it too.

I have seen the salute to the chef parade twice on the P&O ships and find it part of the entertainment. People who don't like it usually make sure they miss it. This also applies to the sail-away party, gees if everybody turned up to these events, the queue would be to the back of the ship.

While I am genuinely sorry that the OP didn't enjoy this cruise ship tradition, I get side-tracked in any thread when anyone elevates cruise ship, frozen, warm water, lobster tail to the status of a special food. Tough, tasteless, usually small, and in no way comparable to a real lobster in my opinion. Now if it were her Beef Wellington that had gotten cold, perhaps I could understand. ;)

I did get the Wellington at the same time as the lobster: COLD!!! ;)

On Princess it's only in the Traditional dining room and it's a Baked Alaska parade where we twirl our napkins and applaude the waiters and Junior waiters. They bring out the Chef and some of the kitchen staff but it's definitely about the waiters.

If the OP eats in Princess' version of Select she wouldn't see it at all.

Funny thing is that we sail Celebrity in Aqua class and this doesn't happen in Blu so maybe the OP should try that. ;)

We were in Blu earlier this year and there was a parade of waiters, chefs, kitchen staff and sommeliers on the last evening. Everyone dining at the time stood and applauded with smiles on their faces. The food and service had been outstanding for the whole cruise and this gave us all an opportunity to show that we had appreciated all of their efforts.

Some will say that we should show appreciation financially but that is a different thread completely!

We have had several cruises in Aqua, but never had a Chefs parade in Blu, but on a couple of occasions the chef has walked round the dining room and chatted to the tables. The Chefs parade on the IOTS was really over the top!

Richard

I personally feel badly that the waitstaff are forced to participate in the 'parade'. I've always felt it demeaned them. Remember they have to repeat this at every cruise. If the are on a '7 day ship', they are repeating this every week. Has anyone ever asked their waiter how they feel about it?

on a couple of occasions the chef has walked round the dining room and chatted to the tables.

The chef came out to chat with me and DW at a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Rome - honouring us I suppose for choosing his restaurant to drop a g-note on dinner for two for our 25th. I can imagine he would have been mortified should the patrons have decided to git up and dance for him :D.

I personally feel badly that the waitstaff are forced to participate in the 'parade'. I've always felt it demeaned them. Remember they have to repeat this at every cruise. If the are on a '7 day ship', they are repeating this every week. Has anyone ever asked their waiter how they feel about it?

Indeed not...nor do I ask my Stateroom Attendant how they feel about cleaning bathrooms...C'mon folks...enjoy the "Acknowledgement/Recognition Parade" for what it is...make it special for the staff...and when your waitstaff, the chefs (or any of the others you have gotten to know) parade by your table, take the time to shake their hand, give them a hug, take a group photo, thank them profusely etc...make it a time of fun and appreciation !! Show them how much you are truly thankful for all they have done !! No need to view it as tacky etc...rather as a fun celebration of good service, good food, good times and great staff !!

In fact, what I find demeaning is the passengers who get up in the middle and walk out in a huff !

Make each cruise memorable, and a time of enjoyment for not only yourselves...but for everyone you meet, passenger and crew alike.

Merry Christmas to all...make everyday a celebration of life !

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Indeed not...nor do I ask my Stateroom Attendant how they feel about cleaning bathrooms...C'mon folks...enjoy the "Acknowledgement/Recognition Parade" for what it is...make it special for the staff...and when your waitstaff, the chefs (or any of the others you have gotten to know) parade by your table, take the time to shake their hand, give them a hug, take a group photo, thank them profusely etc...make it a time of fun and appreciation !! Show them how much you are truly thankful for all they have done !! No need to view it as tacky etc...rather as a fun celebration of good service, good food, good times and great staff !!

In fact, what I find demeaning is the passengers who get up in the middle and walk out in a huff !

Make each cruise memorable, and a time of enjoyment for not only yourselves...but for everyone you meet, passenger and crew alike.

Woody

There's another thread in which a "like" button is requested. This one would get a like from me.

And for you to enjoy, another passenger (who enjoyed it) posted their parade on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STsetZ_seN4&feature=youtu.be

And here is the Princess version:

Edited by BKFlowerMound

Woody

There's another thread in which a "like" button is requested. This one would get a like from me.

Me, too! :D

Woody

Like_1.jpg

Hi WestLakeGirl,

I have not sailed on Princess in a few years - though we are thinking about trying them again this Summer. I believe they offer something similar in the MDR, as Celebrity.

We will find out also, since we are trying Princess again after many years. If X did Glacier Bay, we would use them; but we are looking forward to a different line after so many X cruises. I am sure it will make us appreciate X that much more. :)

What is the deal with the ridiculous "salute to the chef" we had on our last formal night? They turned all the lights out on us as soon as we got our food, played loud parade music, whooped and hollered for 15 minutes while the waiters disappeared so they could carry the candles around the room and clap. By the time the lights went back on, our food was ice cold and we were really ticked off. I couldn't see the lobster on my plate to get it out of the shell.

Do they do this every cruise? And people talk about Carnival being cheesy?

I'm all for saluting the chef... as long as it's not the one-finger salute!

OP, if you really wanted an "elegant" evening, you should have gone to Murano for your special dinner.

I think it is very nice to recognize the hard work and dedication of the ships staff who really do an awesome job - even it is slightly cheesy, it's fun anyway.

OP, if you really wanted an "elegant" evening, you should have gone to Murano for your special dinner.

I think it is very nice to recognize the hard work and dedication of the ships staff who really do an awesome job - even it is slightly cheesy, it's fun anyway.

Elegance shouldn't require spending $$$. Eating fried chicken and cornbread, with the right ambiance, can be elegant.

We went to Qzine on one of our 4 formal nights, for my 50th birthday. (I turned 25 on my honeymoon.) There were 2 people in there in shorts and t-shirts, an old couple in jogging suits, and 4 crew members. So at 8:00, there were only 8 other people in there, besides us. I was in a gown, my husband and boys in their tux's. We felt ridiculous. So, after spending $200 for dinner plus $70 for a bottle for Rose -- the meal was very disappointing. I own and operate a popular cafe, so I do know a little bit about food.......

There was no Murano on the Summit, so I'm not sure what you are referring to, do you mean Normandie? My boys would not appreciate the menu in there, nor would my husband or I. We did look at the menu, and it was over the top for us. We really aren't looking for a show, just good food and service.

I'm done with this thread now, thanks for those who gave contstructive opinion and thoughts. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people will jump on a subject just to vilify the poster. If I read a post/thread and don't agree/I just don't post. I'm not on here to argue or tell other people how to post, or what to post....Life is too short and time is better spent planning vacations.;)

Since this isn't your first Celebrity cruise, I find it hard to believe that you haven't seen this before. It has been on all Celebrity cruises.

I am not a fan either but.....

Why bring money into it? We all spend money on our cruises. Some more and some less.

Cold, send it back!

Since this isn't your first Celebrity cruise, I find it hard to believe that you haven't seen this before. It has been on all Celebrity cruises.

I am not a fan either but.....

Why bring money into it? We all spend money on our cruises. Some more and some less.

Cold, send it back!

Although you find it hard to believe, it was my first Celebrity cruise. And no, I have not seen it before. why would I post it if I did?

And why can't I bring money into it? It's my thread, my post, my cruise, and my money!

Edited by pattipoopidoo

Although you find it hard to believe, it was my first Celebrity cruise. And no, I have not seen it before. why would I post it if I did?

And why can't I bring money into it? It's my post, my cruise, and my money.

Obviously, you are not done with this thread. LOL :D:rolleyes::eek:

In Murano they serve a lobster Murano, and I'm sure they have something similar in Normandie. It's cooked tableside, so you get to eat it piping hot. :rolleyes:

People respond to threads because it is a public message board.

When you mentioned if you don't agree with something you just pass

up the thread.....not everyone chooses that route.

Sorry you had such bad time with "food/dining area". I do agree with the folks who say

if the food is cold it needs to be sent back. How are they going to

know if it is wrong if it is not brought to their attention? You mentioned

owning a café....I am guessing if something wasn't served to your

customer's liking, it would be in the best interest of everyone to let

the manager and/or chef/cook know about the issues.

As for eating fried chicken and cornbread, I eat both of those items

with my hands so whatever ambiance is around? In my opinion, they

don't go under the "gourmet ambiance"....oh I absolutely LOVE both

items.:D

As for the Baked Alaska Parade? They have been doing it for years now.

The wait staff, kitchen staff and Management of the food/beverage

dept all get recognized.

Again, sorry you felt it was all ridiculous and hopefully you will find

a line you enjoy in the future.

Edited by Lois R