Military Benefit

pthjudy

On Princess a military benefit is some type of OBC on every cruise. It appears that on Royal it is a discount on some cruises. If that military discount is not attached to a certain sailing, might it change closer to embarkation? Does it depend on length of cruise, ports, if that voyage is selling well, or something else? Thanks for any assistance.

On Princess a military benefit is some type of OBC on every cruise. It appears that on Royal it is a discount on some cruises. If that military discount is not attached to a certain sailing, might it change closer to embarkation? Does it depend on length of cruise, ports, if that voyage is selling well, or something else? Thanks for any assistance.

You never know when it might happen. Sometimes it is b/c a cruise is not selling really good, etc. We have gotten 3 military discounts in the last few years. They don't happen a ton, but I just keep watching and if it happens I take advantage of it.

Whether Military, Senior and or State Discounts are offered all depends on how the cruise is selling. If good hard to find a discount, If slow than discounts will sometimes be applied. Also the discounts can appear at anytime and be removed at anytime so it's best to check regularly.

Guest maddycat

Keep checking your cruise on RCI's website. As soon as you see any price drop (military, senior, resident) contact RCI or if you booked through a TA contact them. Price drops can come and go very quickly.

Like the others have said they can appear and disappear at any time. Go the RCL website and check the box for military and all applicable cruises will be listed.

Another reason for checking the cruise price. I do it daily and sometimes more than once a day. I have actually seen a price drop for a few hours! Thanks.

I notice the language for the military discount now shows only active duty and retired. In the past, it included those who had more than 2 years of service and an honorable discharge. My TA says her info still includes that. Does anyone have recent experience getting the discount based on past service but not being on active duty or retired?

This up coming cruise on the Oasis is our first military discount in all of our RCCL cruises, and it was a savings of over $2000.00 so we jumped on it when we saw it. It soon went up, and I have been looking several times a week and it hasn't been as cheap as what we got our suite for. I always check military, senior, and FL to see if we can get any kind of deal, some times we get a senior rate. Good luck and snatch it up if you find a good rate!

I notice the language for the military discount now shows only active duty and retired. In the past, it included those who had more than 2 years of service and an honorable discharge. My TA says her info still includes that. Does anyone have recent experience getting the discount based on past service but not being on active duty or retired?

I just checked RCCI site and it still has the same rules which includes veterans with 2 years of service and an honorable discharge. We just got one about a week ago for our cruise. My husband is a veteran. It was the first time we have gotten one on RCCI but was glad that I checked and found it.

I just checked RCCI site and it still has the same rules which includes veterans with 2 years of service and an honorable discharge. We just got one about a week ago for our cruise. My husband is a veteran. It was the first time we have gotten one on RCCI but was glad that I checked and found it.

Thank you. I had last looked at the Celebrity site since our recent and next cruises are on that line but we do cruise both about equally. It didn't occur to me that there would be a difference and I didn't think to check on RCL.

From the RCL web site...

"3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in."

I was wondering if they offer the discount to spouses of deceased veterans with honorable discharge and two years of service. I never even thought to look into it before I read this thread.

Yes, spouses of deceased veterans are eligible:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=321&faqSubjectName=Special+Cruise+Pricing&faqId=237

Thank you. I had last looked at the Celebrity site since our recent and next cruises are on that line but we do cruise both about equally. It didn't occur to me that there would be a difference and I didn't think to check on RCL.

You're welcome! Hope you are able to get the discount on your cruise.

Do you happen to know what the pink dependent card is, that is mentioned on the RCI link, and where I could apply for one? I have my husband discharge papers, but that's all.

Do you happen to know what the pink dependent card is, that is mentioned on the RCI link, and where I could apply for one? I have my husband discharge papers, but that's all.

I think that you can only get a military ID card if your husband was retired (in for 20 years), not discharged earlier. But the best way to find out would be to contact the closest military facility that issues the ID cards.

I don't know the answer to your question but if you have a TA they would probably be able to answer your question. You might be able to use his DD214 and his death certificate. Just an idea. I don't know for sure.

I don't know the answer to your question but if you have a TA they would probably be able to answer your question. You might be able to use his DD214 and his death certificate. Just an idea. I don't know for sure.

I think that it would be a stretch to expect one's travel agent to know the requirements for a military ID card. That's a question for somebody who knows military rules and regulations.

Edited by critterchick

I have booked using the military discount several times however at the last minute we have been able to upgrade without using the military discount when the ship is not filling up. Sometimes the discount is great and sometimes not worth it when the price drops lower than the discount.

You never know when it might happen. Sometimes it is b/c a cruise is not selling really good, etc. We have gotten 3 military discounts in the last few years. They don't happen a ton, but I just keep watching and if it happens I take advantage of it.

Have they ever asked to see any paperwork? I guess just bringing everything "just in case" would work.. :)

I think that it would be a stretch to expect one's travel agent to know the requirements for a military ID card. That's a question for somebody who knows military rules and regulations.

It was just a suggestion. Having dealt with the military quite extensively, I imagine it would be hard to find anyone there that would give you an accurate answer, but she might get lucky. I hope she is able to find out. Asking them something is kind of like calling RCI. You get a different answer everytime you call. Maybe someone on here will have an answer for her as to how she can obtain one.

Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

This is a bit confusing on the RCI website. The "pink" ID card is for military dependents and is used to show that you are qualified for military benefits. I have never heard of the ID card being issued to a dependent of deceased unless the military member either died while on Active Duty or was retired. Being the widow of a veteran (who was not retired) will not get you the ID card.

You can get more information at http://www.militaryonesource.mil/legal/individual-and-family-issues?content_id=268595

If you were qualified for an ID Card, it could be issued at any military base/post that issues ID Cards (also called a RAPIDS site). You may find additional information at the DMDC site at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dwp/index.jsp.

Edit: Actually, I think the "pink" card is issued to reserves. The Blue one is for retirees and the beige one is for dependents (AD or retiree dependents). There used to be a green one for AD but they are now issued CAC cards instead.

Edit2: See here for list of the different cards: http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Edited by SATXLady