Those were the days......

MargoK

Late yesterday I was watching a bit of TV and whilst channel surfing came across a programme on one of our local networks - Heartland NZ which must have been 30 years old which showed the Island Princess at Port Chalmers. OMG :eek: it was so funny - tiny 'tub' of a ship full of older people (no disrespect but 30 years ago they were old!). Watching them disembark for day tours was hysterical - shabby gangway, funny photos as they arrive taken by the ships photographer, ancient tour buses with drivers in short shorts!!!!!;):D

I am so glad times have moved on!

And when the ship was leaving the presenter (a very young Gary McCormick - NZ local comedian) interviewed two very serious 'ship watchers' intent on taking the perfect photo of one of six cruise ship visits per year!

Late yesterday I was watching a bit of TV and whilst channel surfing came across a programme on one of our local networks - Heartland NZ which must have been 30 years old which showed the Island Princess at Port Chalmers. OMG :eek: it was so funny - tiny 'tub' of a ship full of older people (no disrespect but 30 years ago they were old!). Watching them disembark for day tours was hysterical - shabby gangway, funny photos as they arrive taken by the ships photographer, ancient tour buses with drivers in short shorts!!!!!;):D

I am so glad times have moved on!

And when the ship was leaving the presenter (a very young Gary McCormick - NZ local comedian) interviewed two very serious 'ship watchers' intent on taking the perfect photo of one of six cruise ship visits per year!

Ship watchers would be very busy these days. :)

WOW, the demographics would have changed a lot over the last 30 years as well. Cruising used to be for newly weds and nearly deads, now just about anyone cruises.:D

We started cruising 30 years ago as a young couple with children and went every year. There were a lot of young singles who just went to party. I don't think there were any more older people than there are now.

We started cruising 30 years ago as a young couple with children and went every year. There were a lot of young singles who just went to party. I don't think there were any more older people than there are now.

No but there are a lot more families cruising now.:D

LOL, the "good" old days. Back in 1970 when I first starting keeping company with my now hubby (been married for 40 years), I was invited to help him get his parents (back then they would have been in their mid to late 40's) down to Station Pier in Melboune with luggage and get them on a cruise ship round the "South Sea Islands for about 10 days"

Cannot remember the name of the ship but I think it was one of those Italian ships ... Archillo-Lauro or something???

In those days we were allowed on board and to get them settled in their cabin. Future MIL complained she was seasick from the moment she stepped onto the gangplank.:rolleyes: Holey moley, the whole experience turned me off cruising for 40 years! The "public" rooms were hideous IMO but worst of all was their cabin ... lino on the floor, 2 steel "bunks" and a sink with cold water only, with the thinnest mattress I'd ever seen. Oh, and the communal bathroom was about a kilometre down a long, long and lino lined passage way!

LMFO, turned me off cruising for decades! :rolleyes:

Of course I realise now that they were both cheapskates and had chosen the cheapest cabin they could find, and fortunately they've gone where the goblins go now. But honestly ... back then I thought "Why would people pay good money to holiday like that?" :D

I can remember going down to Princes Wharf to view the SS France. At that stage it was the biggest ship that had ever ventured down this way. I remember that her visit must have been very important as the then Prime Minister of NZ , Bill Rowling , hosted a dinner for all passengers to celebrtae the occassion.

definitely! and I was one of them - 2 cruises a year on the Oriana - inside 4 berth cabins on G deck - party central!

LOL, the "good" old days. Back in 1970 when I first starting keeping company with my now hubby (been married for 40 years), I was invited to help him get his parents (back then they would have been in their mid to late 40's) down to Station Pier in Melboune with luggage and get them on a cruise ship round the "South Sea Islands for about 10 days"

Cannot remember the name of the ship but I think it was one of those Italian ships ... Archillo-Lauro or something???

In those days we were allowed on board and to get them settled in their cabin. Future MIL complained she was seasick from the moment she stepped onto the gangplank.:rolleyes: Holey moley, the whole experience turned me off cruising for 40 years! The "public" rooms were hideous IMO but worst of all was their cabin ... lino on the floor, 2 steel "bunks" and a sink with cold water only, with the thinnest mattress I'd ever seen. Oh, and the communal bathroom was about a kilometre down a long, long and lino lined passage way!

LMFO, turned me off cruising for decades! :rolleyes:

Of course I realise now that they were both cheapskates and had chosen the cheapest cabin they could find, and fortunately they've gone where the goblins go now. But honestly ... back then I thought "Why would people pay good money to holiday like that?" :D

LOL, that would put me off as well.:D

definitely! and I was one of them - 2 cruises a year on the Oriana - inside 4 berth cabins on G deck - party central!

I have some old photos showing my family touring the Oriana which was berthed at Circular Quay then picnicing next to the Harbour Bridge pylon probably about 1960.

At the time we thought it was so BIG and glamourous! :eek:

I have some old photos showing my family touring the Oriana which was berthed at Circular Quay then picnicing next to the Harbour Bridge pylon probably about 1960.

At the time we thought it was so BIG and glamourous! :eek:

My first memory of a cruise ship is farewelling my sister on the Fairstar around 1980. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

This commercial still makes me wanna go !!!!!! :p...............! I loved this song, loved these commercials - there were several versions of this ad including one that was shown in the cinemas. I have a Beta tape somewhere that has the full length version

I think many older people would find it very upsetting to be referred to as nearly dead.:mad:

Sorry, I don't mean to make anyone angry or upset. I didn't come up with the phrase but it was certainly used a lot when I was younger. As I said, things have changed considerably with just about any age group cruising now.:D

This commercial still makes me wanna go !!!!!! :p...............! I loved this song, loved these commercials - there were several versions of this ad including one that was shown in the cinemas. I have a Beta tape somewhere that has the full length version

Still a great song and ad.:D

The term "newly weds and nearly deads" isn't a new term. It has long been associated with describing cruising in the "old days".

Yes, it was. As was the case for my first cruise as part of the honeymoon. Us an several other honeymooners along with older retirees.:D

Sorry, I don't mean to make anyone angry or upset. I didn't come up with the phrase but it was certainly used a lot when I was younger. As I said, things have changed considerably with just about any age group cruising now.:D

I am sure you didn't mean to upset anyone, and I also remember the phrase

I am sorry I felt I had to mention it I certainly didn't want to upset you, but I feel it was always a cruel phrase.:)

I am sure you didn't mean to upset anyone, and I also remember the phrase

I am sorry I felt I had to mention it I certainly didn't want to upset you, but I feel it was always a cruel phrase.:)

No problems, we can all move on to a new phrase like 'Cruises can be for anybody or everybody' or something.:D

Without wanting to offend anyone, a fellow cruiser sitting next to me on the tender said how surprised she was that herself & family were enjoying the cruise as much as they were. She said, "I always thought cruising was for the nearly deads, newly weds or retreads, and we are none of them & still loving it", that gave us a good giggle. Considering we are none of those either, we were glad that cruising is our kind of holiday! :)

Also the piano man on the last day commented rather cheekily that when everyone first arrived on board, he wasn't sure that everyone was going to make it!! The oldies were laughing the loudest at that one.

One elderly couple told me on their last cruise to Hawaii, 9 people passed away on the 42 day cruise. They were very philosophical about it.