Cancellation Penalties

mamaofami

are you paid in full - before or after final payment date.

I believe, if what my TA told me, that even if you are paid in full, or paid more than the required deposit, it is refundable if cancelled BEFORE final payment date.

Have never put that to the test, though.

Perhaps call HAL and ask as a general question, since they do not like to discuss information with you if you booked through a TA .... another thought, is anyone covering for your TA at the office, or does she have an assistant?

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Not knowing when your cruise is scheduled for, it's hard to say. Some cruises have a penalty date starting at 75 days out, and others at 90. There are a few (rare) cruises where the penalty starts at 120 days.

Your paperwork should show the date. Remember, the cruise must be canceled the day before the penalty period starts.

I'm sorry to read that you have to cancel a cruise, and hope that things resolve so that you can plan another very soon.

Carol,

Definitely call your TA's office tomorrow morning.

You are likely in penalty period but the sooner you cancel, the more you have a chance to be refunded.

Edited by sail7seas

It looks like you're 28-29 days before crusing. Here's the info from HAL's website:

Caribbean (except Rotterdam); Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska CruiseTours; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Given that the resale of cancelled space will likely result in a lost opportunity to sell other space, these fees are due regardless of resale. Fees incurred as a result of cancellation cannot be applied to future bookings. Refunds will normally be made to your travel professional.Travel professionals may impose their own cancellation fees. Agency fees of any nature are a matter to be decided on solely by the agency and guests.

We wish you all the best for good health.

Richard

Carol....we just got home from Sarah's house....family birthday part for Holly. And I just found the email you sent earlier. Like I said in my reply, I think it's spelled out on the paperwork. Print out the cruise documents and I believe it's on page two. I'll look at mine because our Maasdam leaves the same day.

You take care of you now!

Carol....

I just checked my HAL documents for Maasdam 1/27....yours are the same for the Noordam, I am sure.

Tomorrow is the last date to cancel with a 75% penalty. December 30. After that, zero.

However, if you took Travel Insurance, that might be different. I would call HAL tomorrow....and then sit tight until next Monday when the TA is back from her cruise. Would wait for her...and not ask anyone else in the office.

If you lose 75%, maybe you can gift the cruise to your two girls? I don't know...a shame to let it go to waste.

Edited by innlady1

I do have travel insurance so maybe they will refund whatever penalty I incur.

If you have travel insurance, then you should be covered. :D I don't think you have anything to worry about - that would be my first call when you have time.

Thinking of you both.

Can someone tell me when penalties begin for a paid in full cruise?

My travel agent is on a cruise so I don't know if I should wait till she returns after the New year or call her office and have them cancel for us.

Before final payment everything is refundable except what the TA might of charged for her service.

travel insurance should cover any NON REFUNDABLE expenses.... I am in the process of making a claim for a trip I have had to cancel - however I cancelled one week prior to final payment.

Unfortunately the deposit made on a land tour which was to have been pre cruise is non refundable, so I will be claiming for that and the penalty, non refundable portion of my air.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel, and wish you all the best.

Carol

Very happy you have travel insurance.

Your TA likely will help you with the documentation when she returns from her cruise.

In the meantime, I would call her office and request someone there notify HAL of the cancellation.

You're in my thoughts.......

Before final payment everything is refundable except what the TA might of charged for her service.

So that people are not misled. This statement only applies to USA and Canada.

In Europe (and I believe Australia), if we cancel, we lose our deposit from the day we book no matter how far we are before final payment.

In Europe (and I believe Australia), if we cancel, we lose our deposit from the day we book no matter how far we are before final payment.

Fortunately for those booking in Australia, in the last two years our booking and cancellation policies have fallen in line with the USA and Canadian terms and conditions.

Thank you all for your replies. I did call my travel insurer and I will be made whole, no matter what penalties I incur. I also called my TA's office to let them notify HAL. It was a collectors cruise, so maybe they can sell one of the segments.

Thank you all for your replies. I did call my travel insurer and I will be made whole, no matter what penalties I incur. I also called my TA's office to let them notify HAL. It was a collectors cruise, so maybe they can sell one of the segments.

That's good news, Carol. So sad that you've had to cancel three cruises within 12 months time.

Good news, Carol.

Happy that is one thing you don't need to worry about now.