Can you use points to upgrade a deviated flight?

corpkid

We're flying Orlando --> Sydney (then back from NZ) and were hoping to use O's flights, but take a deviation since we want to get there earlier. Of course, we'll do the math on this first once we can figure out how much the credit would be, however one deciding factor is that we would like to fly United and use our miles to upgrade to first/business for the dreaded ultra-long-haul. Is that something that can be worked out? We've never used O's (or any other cruise line's) air before and have always taken the credit. Thank you!

We're flying Orlando --> Sydney (then back from NZ) and were hoping to use O's flights, but take a deviation since we want to get there earlier. Of course, we'll do the math on this first once we can figure out how much the credit would be, however one deciding factor is that we would like to fly United and use our miles to upgrade to first/business for the dreaded ultra-long-haul. Is that something that can be worked out? We've never used O's (or any other cruise line's) air before and have always taken the credit. Thank you!

In my experience, the answer has been no. I've tried this several times with United flights booked by O. Each time United told me I had a "bulk fare" and it was not upgradeable. Not to say this would always be the case, but it has been for me.

In my experience, the answer has been no. I've tried this several times with United flights booked by O. Each time United told me I had a "bulk fare" and it was not upgradeable. Not to say this would always be the case, but it has been for me.

That's pretty much what I figured. Thank you. I can't wait to see what the air credit is (generous, I'm sure - :p). I'll contact my TA after the holidays and work this out. If anyone has any feedback on what to expect for a credit for this cruise I'd love to hear. Thanks again!!!

Your better bet would be to follow Hawaiidan's (and other's) advice about getting some FF miles with CC promotions (discussed at length elsewhere on this forum) and book your own award tickets and thus taking control of your flights and not relying on O air and possible/unlikely upgrades.

Your better bet would be to follow Hawaiidan's (and other's) advice about getting some FF miles with CC promotions (discussed at length elsewhere on this forum) and book your own award tickets and thus taking control of your flights and not relying on O air and possible/unlikely upgrades.

We just started doing what Hawaiidan (and that extremely informative thread) suggested with our new Mileage Explorer cards and are racking up the points incredibly quick (plus we had a bunch of points already from previous trips - but not really enough for this trip). We're OK with premium economy for flights to Europe, etc, but Australia is a whole 'nother game! :) PS - thanks Hawaiidan! I'm married to a HawaiiDON LOL

We've upgraded tickets through Delta and American, but never with United.

The major obstacle which you will encounter in using Oceania Air for plans such as you describe is that the Cruise must be paid for in full before those Airline Tickets are purchased by the Cruise Line, and Airlines seldom allow upgrades on tickets which have only been reserved.

Unless you would consider making final payment on the cruise as far in advance as you would need to, in order to make those Airline upgrades happen successfully, then don't even consider going through the Cruise Line.

If you would consider paying early, then the Key is to be VERY SPECIFIC with Oceania when you ask for the price of the deviation (i.e. we are only interested in an upgrade-able class of ticket on this specific airline). If Oceania's Airline contracts won't support such a purchase, then you'll have no choice but to take the air credit.....whatever it might be.

If Oceania Air is able to accommodate your request, then you will want to know your prices. Do a little rate comparison shopping while you are waiting for the price quote. ;)

Ah - that helps. You guys are always so helpful :) Sounds like I'm going to have to do some serious groundwork to figure this one out. I'll contact my TA and ask her what she thinks (me thinks someone knows our awesome TA). :)

We can drop final payment whenever, if it means we can upgrade our flights. The only other question is if you make final/full payment early, and then have to cancel, do the standard cancellation rules apply? We're talking a trip that is 14 months out and it's been an "interesting" year so far with family...?

In playing the mileage game, it is for regular flights at the regular fare only.

Oceania fares are off non-published rates/ contracts not subject to any up-grade or addition. What game you play has got to be the same currency. No can mix apples wit oranges for dates

Using mileage will thus not apply

Your choice it to do 100% Oceania or take the credit they give and do 100% miles. There is no mix; sorry that is the nature of the game.

Suggestion hold off a year, pack on a few cards as I suggested... but to push it is a dead mans hand. I think American/US air will be the same after their consolidation.

This Feb 1 both programs are going to re-assess their miles for future flights by as much as 60 to 100%

There is a lot to know about getting mileage award tickets. I was told that mileage to Australia is some of the hardest to get. I tried several times and no tickets were available - 330 days out. Buying them in business class with miles on the Amex site was over 700K miles. I was able to book two business class tickets by transferring Amex miles to Delta who code shared with Virgin Australia. 160K miles per person round trip and non stop.

Last year I tried and tried and ended up changing my cruise to leave from Istanbul instead of Barcelona. By doing a B2B, getting air credit for the 2ndcruise, a back to back discount, we actually got business class on KLM, A credit and the 2nd cruise and doing a back to back - with the air credit and the air special - the fare was greatly reduced because of air credit for non use.

One thing to think about: 2 years ago we were flying using Regent Air - same as Oceania Air. Air France was going on Strike and while we would arrive - our connecting flight was going to be cancelled and they would not get us to Barcelona in time to make the cruise. One call to the air department we were rebooked on a flight with no connection on Swiss International. If you book your own air - you will not get assistance for this kind of situation.

Mileage awards are easy with United it you are willing to use non-saver awards. Using a saver award is hard -- since there are few (none lately) on many TPAC flights.

Getting an Upgrade -- slim and no chance especially if you do not have GS status and travel on a high fare ticket. Even with 1K status on my last flight I was on -- there were 6 1Ks in the first two rows all of us wanted an upgrade. I was traveling on a B (full economy) fare with 1K status and still had zero chance.

Edited by PaulMCO

We just started doing what Hawaiidan (and that extremely informative thread) suggested with our new Mileage Explorer cards and are racking up the points incredibly quick (plus we had a bunch of points already from previous trips - but not really enough for this trip). We're OK with premium economy for flights to Europe, etc, but Australia is a whole 'nother game! :)

Our Australia cruise was back in 2008 so this info may not be current, but we flew premium economy on Air New Zealand and that was one of the best flights we've ever had. The seats were even more comfortable than most of our full business flights. (On ANZ premium economy gets the same amenities as business, just not the flat bed seats ... at least that was the case back then.)

Also, ANZ was a partner of United so we got United miles for the flights.

Mura

Our Australia cruise was back in 2008 so this info may not be current, but we flew premium economy on Air New Zealand and that was one of the best flights we've ever had. The seats were even more comfortable than most of our full business flights. (On ANZ premium economy gets the same amenities as business, just not the flat bed seats ... at least that was the case back then.)

Also, ANZ was a partner of United so we got United miles for the flights.

Mura

In reading the posts it is very easy to discern the absurd American Express miles that while are awarded higher require astronomical miles and worth serious reconsideration if you have one One would have to spend almost a half million dollars where as UAL it would be 50% less.

Effective Feb 1 2014, UAL and Delta and American will be cranking up the miles big time... expect miles to double for some routes

Australia for example is now going to be ...350,000 business and 390,000 First and 160,000 coach ! on UAL

Getting a seat on air New Zealand .... today. HA! You have a better chance brokering a Mid east peace deal and go water skiing with Queen Elizabeth the same day..

They are very tight.....no stingy. I have never has a good experience on Air New Zealand

As the world turns..taking a cruise from or to Australia is milage suicide. Cross it off your list.

Spend a few bucks more take a cruise from Singapore that hits Australia and continues trans pacific to Hawaii or California. Taking longer cruises that overall less expensive

Fly to Hawaii then to Hong Kong or Guam and on the Sydney. Or from Hawaii fly to Tahiti $600 5 hours grab a cruise to Australia and back to back back to Tahiti. Do not consider Hawaiian if at all possible it is a flying rip off..

We've booked with Oceania with included air and to tell you the truth there is so much conflicting information on CC on just what we have for flights.

I have read messages on the cruise air board, warning against cruise air. However, I ignored those warnings - because of the intrinsic value of the flights (Europe high season), together with a cruise on a premium line, with dates that worked for us. I would have had to wait for a decent mass market to reduce rates (albeit a longer cruise - but less desirable round trip itinerary) and hit a good flight fare to match Oceania.

So, obviously it was the cheaper flight that made this work. I felt comfortable buying the unknown (is it a consolidator ticket, bulk fare - I haven't a clue???)because we paid the deviation to fly in a few days early and we have a few days wiggle room on the return if flights get messed up. Also, we have not made final payment - but I can find the reservation on Delta. I tried to find the secret codes that let me know just what I have -(assignable to other airlines etc.) but it's only the one letter code (from other sites I can tell this code does not look to be upgradeable getting back to OP's original question:)).

We're not party to the contract that Oceania has to the airline - so if things go sideways we have to deal with Oceania (or our TA who works with Oceania). Is it that Regent/Oceania has a good back office that can work with the airlines if problems arise?

Also want to give a hat tip to Hawaiidan thread for suggesting credit cards to lower expenses - a new hotel card points will pay for a couple room nights after and an old card's flex points will be used for nights before - lousy use of points but I think they were going to expire).

Edited by buggins0402

Mileage awards are easy with United it you are willing to use non-saver awards. Using a saver award is hard -- since there are few (none lately) on many TPAC flights.

Getting an Upgrade -- slim and no chance especially if you do not have GS status and travel on a high fare ticket. Even with 1K status on my last flight I was on -- there were 6 1Ks in the first two rows all of us wanted an upgrade. I was traveling on a B (full economy) fare with 1K status and still had zero chance.

Boy I noticed the diff since Continental SMA ( Slimy Smike Airways) took over

Flying even silver for the past 4 years my wife and I always got comp-first.

The other month I was # 37 for 4 seats up front.

I now book "BDZ class" ( dirt ball coach) and pay to up to Econ+ get row 9 jr F/C and do not look back.

New flights LAX/SFO to Hawaii are now on 737-800. ( Slimies favorite plane , originally designs by the Gestapo to transport political prisoners to the camps the design later modified by Uncle Joe to be more austere)

Effective Feb 1 2014, UAL and Delta and American will be cranking up the miles big time... expect miles to double for some routes

Dan,

I am aware of the increase with UA (especially in premium class with partners) and with DL but have not heard about an increased mileage with AA.

I am sure it will come eventually but I have not seen any specifics or dates.

Do you have a link?

Paul

I have been traveling by air some 2.5 million miles. I am a milage junkie and count every mile as tho it was from my pocket in teal dollars

There in no way in Gods green earth that you can beat the contract fare for Oceania

Do not get hyped. There is no way to in the final analysis beat it.

Suck it up and give thanks you and get such a package deal.

I am not a genius but have spent decades working the system, it is my opinion you can NOT beat what the offer unless you cut multi-million dollar contracts wit the airlines.............can you?

We, folks are not players on that scale....recognize it.

Boy I noticed the diff since Continental SMA ( Slimy Smike Airways) took over

Flying even silver for the past 4 years my wife and I always got comp-first.

The other month I was # 37 for 4 seats up front.

I now book "BDZ class" ( dirt ball coach) and pay to up to Econ+ get row 9 jr F/C and do not look back.

New flights LAX/SFO to Hawaii are now on 737-800. ( Slimies favorite plane , originally designs by the Gestapo to transport political prisoners to the camps the design later modified by Uncle Joe to be more austere)

I am running around 35% on international upgrades and around 80% on domestic - since SMI/J took over. Before it was closer to 90% on both domestic and international. Find that miles plus co-pay get me a better chance. With 2.7M lifetime miles -- sticking with UA until 3M miles and at least will be 1K for life. UA reminds me of PAN AM as they were heading down the tubes.

Still think UA even with their changes is the best FF program. Certainly beats Delta since you cannot use their Peso miles. I have 200K unused in my account leftover from Pan Am.... and a lifetime Sky Club also leftover.

I am with you there..UAL has the best program in town. And they are making money so I think they will be around for some time. Jeff knows how to squeeze a turnip.

I fly revenue domestic and buy up to Econ + except for some routes where they have NY-LAX and HNL with 767-400 and 757-200 with the new lie flat bus seat....

I don't have any contact with AA and have consolidated 100% with UAL and able to maintain 600-700K in the miles bank

There are some interesting markets The Australia/NZ is priced in miles at obscene levels... Cheaper and easier to fly to BKK or SIN HKG is really good too you get savers through Korea and Guam

You can spend $5600 in miles with UAL OR...Air NZ has introduced the Sky couch. they reserve you 3 seats, foot rests come up and you have a 60 inch bed when you knock the arms up... You can buy that fo $2400 rt LAX to SYD Business is $6500 and there non recline economy + is about $3000.............save the miles buy a sky couch its a heck of a deal

I am with you there..UAL has the best program in town.

That may be true till 2/1/14 - but definitely not after.

Until further notice, with AA miles you can fly CX, JL, EY, QR and occasionally QF (all 4-5* airlines) F/J quite easily and for the SAME number of miles as AA metal. For a few bucks more you can do the same with BA/IB. In addition, the new AA 77W premium is as good or better than most premium seats out there.

No can do that with MP :( - LH, SQ F & NZ J are essentially nonexistent and NH premium will cost you almost as much as Skypesos :D

That may be true till 2/1/14 - but definitely not after.

Until further notice, with AA miles you can fly CX, JL, EY, QR and occasionally QF (all 4-5* airlines) F/J quite easily and for the SAME number of miles as AA metal. For a few bucks more you can do the same with BA/IB. In addition, the new AA 77W premium is as good or better than most premium seats out there.

No can do that with MP :( - LH, SQ F & NZ J are essentially nonexistent and NH premium will cost you almost as much as Skypesos :D

The Hawaiian word for Airline is United. AA doesn't serve KOA and its tough to drive to HNL from KOA Love to see the Jones act go down...so I can snag space avail on the dozens of ships sailing to LA from down the street.

I get tired of the 5.5 hour commuter flight and now with 737's Continental cabin crews are getting re trained by the Taliban on how to treat coach passengers.