Live from Westerdam Jan 4, 2014

Chelly

Just a quicky to let you all know the Westy is still the besty. We have had four lovely days so far. No a/c problems. No problems at all. Lovin my Signature Suite. Service is great. Food is fantastic. Best of all: JIMMY MADDOX is the piano man. He is packing the piano bar every night. Standing room only. Folks are disappointed they can't all fit in the room. BB KING BLUES CLUB is outstanding! Cast shows are good to very good. Last night's singer and previous night's juggling team impressed the crowd. Never though I'd love watching jugglars! The Filipino show was a hit as always. More tomorrow. Will try to answer questions if you have them. HUGS to the SailAway Gang and my CC friends.

Oh Chelly, I am so envious. Jimmy Maddox! Lucky you....if you think of it, please say hello to him from Fred and I (from the NA Collectors Cruise). He's the best. Glad you're having a great cruise...we watched as you sailed away. Is Captain Scott still on the Westy?

Just a quicky to let you all know the Westy is still the besty. We have had four lovely days so far. No a/c problems. No problems at all. Lovin my Signature Suite. Service is great. Food is fantastic. Best of all: JIMMY MADDOX is the piano man. He is packing the piano bar every night. Standing room only. Folks are disappointed they can't all fit in the room. BB KING BLUES CLUB is outstanding! Cast shows are good to very good. Last night's singer and previous night's juggling team impressed the crowd. Never though I'd love watching jugglars! The Filipino show was a hit as always. More tomorrow. Will try to answer questions if you have them. HUGS to the SailAway Gang and my CC friends.

We are boarding the Westerdam on Jan. 25, 2014. Do you know if Jimmy Maddox will still be there? We cruised when he was in the piano bar once before and really enjoyed him. It would be a real treat if he was still on the Westerdam.

We are boarding the Westerdam on Jan. 25' date=' 2014. Do you know if Jimmy Maddox will still be there? We cruised when he was in the piano bar once before and really enjoyed him. It would be a real treat if he was still on the Westerdam.[/quote']

Not sure how long the entertainer's contracts are for...he was on our cruise 10/6 to 10/27...and didn't leave NA until early December. We didn't ask him when he embarked. A month later, he's back on the Westerdam. So maybe it's only a month off between contracts??? And, I'd guess he'll be on for at least 2 or 3 months.

Jimmy Maddox WILL be on your cruise on Jan 25th Cruz'n Baers. He's the best there is!

Tell him "HI" from Steve and Candis & we're looking forward to hanging with him on March 1st!

Edited by boze9999

Great to hear from you Chelly - and I am sooo jealous. Jimmy Maddox the absolute best piano man!

Thank you all for you answers regarding piano man Jimmy Maddox. We are cruising with 3 of my husband's siblings and spouses, who have never cruised before. The one thing I was a little concerned about was the nightlife on HAL, but with Jimmy and BB King, I think my worries are over. We should have a lot of evening fun.

Linda

Sounds like a blast Chelly! Getting excited for my Westerdam experience on the 18th.

Quick question...have you gotten a peak at the offerings in the fitness centre? I am hoping to do a few classes while on board (so this gym rat doesn't go into sweat withdrawal) and am wondering what will be available.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! Look forward to your review. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

We are looking forward to our cruise on one of our favorite HAL ships in less than six weeks! Great to hear your positive report.

Not "Bashing," but our last cruise on "X" while very port intense, and a wonderful trip, the entertainment was very lacking. Looking forward to BB Kings and coming back to HAL!

Oh Chelly, I am so envious. Jimmy Maddox! Lucky you....if you think of it, please say hello to him from Fred and I (from the NA Collectors Cruise). He's the best. Glad you're having a great cruise...we watched as you sailed away. Is Captain Scott still on the Westy?

Will say hi to Jimmy for you tonight. Cap Scott no longer on Westerdam. Need to look up new Master's name, will check back with it. New Cap is Master of the PE SailAway TOOTS!

eMBARKATION: Arrived at port 10:30 a.m.

11:30 boarding began

12:15 I had dropped carryon in cabin and was at Sea View deck eating a salad by 12:15 p.m

Does anyone remember Penny, a "senior groupy or Jimmy Maddox" (by her account)? She is in her usual spot in the Piano bar every night. Lots of fun!

The BBKING BLUES CLUB is a must see. They play in the Queens Lounge every night (which is freezing. Bring a jacket) Tonight the Blues Band plays in the Vista Lounge for two shows.

SailAway. Ten members of our M&G met up at SailAway to wave to all our friends in PE..

Sunday: Jan 5 Meet & Greet. The Hotel Manager joined our group of about 20 and answered all our questions. Lovely guy but I don't have his name. We discussed upgrades but honestly, he didn't report anything most of us on CC already know. I asked him to tell us EVERYTHING he know about HAL's new Pinnacle class ship which debutes 2016. He said she will look NOTHING like any HAL ship ever built. Brand new design. She will be bigger, but NOT taller. Her name will be voted on by Mariners, staff and Seattle. A second Pinnacle class ship will debut a few years afterwards.

That's it for now. More tomorrow. Internet is slow and eats up minutes the way I consume HAL's bread pudding. Oh speaking of food. Pinnacle continues to be outstanding. Lobster Bisque, Ceasar salad, petite fillet mignon, baby asparagas spears, and wilted spinach......all perfectly prepared with service second to none.

More tomorrow.

HUGS to all

Edited by Chelly

Friday, Jan 10. Last cruise day

Captain is: Captain Ren van Eerten. He is the Master Tooter at Port Everglades SailAway. He also does some pretty good tooting in St Martin, San Juan and Grand Turk. Today we are at Half Moon Cay.

Jimmy Maddox says he will be onboard until April. Sheila: Jimmy says to thank you and Fred for your hellos. He is still packing them in the Piano Bar.

Grand Turk was a beach day for me. Walked off the ship, turned left, walked a bit down the beach and plunked myself down on a free lounge chair for an hour or so. Wandered over to Margaritaville, bought a couple t-shirts, then back to the ship

San Juan: Took the free trolley around town. Takes about a half hour or a bit longer. Suggest you board at stop#14 which is a 3-5 minute walk to the left when you leave the terminal area. Stop 14 is last stop and most riders get off there. Assures you a seat. If you board at #1 nearer to the ship, you most likely won't get a seat. Also a good idea, I think, to stay on the trolley for its first go round. It goes directly up to Fort Morro, then decide where to get off for second go-around. Note: If two ships in port, it may be difficult to get back on.

St Martin: NO Mosquitos!!!!!! Pesky bugs definitely not a problem in town or Orient Beach. Didn't need insect repellent which I brought along. Took the ship's tour to Orient Beach, a favorite of this beach-lover. We were served lunch at a good restaurant on the beach and had our own private area of beach chairs. Lots of waves due to the storms in No America. The Local St Martins blame their rough waters on our storms.:)

Half Moon Cay. Most cruisers are on the island now and I am taking advantage of the quiet ship.

Miscellaneous:

Cabin: I am in 6103, my first Signature Suite. To me it is huge! The balcony has a good size table for dining. Seats two to three people comfortably; three wicker chairs and two loungers.

Bathroom: Two basins, tub with whirlpool bath and shower, plus a separate walk in shower (small).

Pillow chocolates:

two on the first and second night

one on the third and fourth night

NONE last two nights

Cabin steward says they don't have anymore.

A big disappointment to those of us who look forward to that pillow candy.

We have been on code red the entire cruise, except for one-half day on Monday. There is a Gastro illness on boards we are told. However, it was announced today that the sick people have all recovered or are recovering. We will stay on code red remainder of the cruise to be safe. There has been lots of grumbling by cruisers unable to accept the situation.

Time for me to check-in for my flight.

See you tomorrow night. Questions? Let me know

HUGS!