Alumni Groups

Toranut97

Just did some Googling and found that a half dozen or more university Alumni Associations are marketing the cruise on which we are booked in March (Mayan Mystique).

We once traveled as a part of an alumni group on a cruise - our very first, on HAL -- and I don't think we were too obnoxious. Frankly, we only identified as a group at a couple of organized receptions. Mostly we were just ordinary cruisers like everyone else, pretty independent.

On a Globus land itinerary in Scandinavia, we were part of a smaller tour which was dominated by another alumni group with an overbearing leader. She had a habit of telling all of us what to do, whether we were "hers" or not. I think that has no bearing on this situation.

Just wanted to be clear I have no deep-seated bias against these groups -- but I am wondering about your experiences on O with alumni groups. Any tips or warnings for us? Thanks!

Donna

On our Oceania cruise last April there were many alumni groups on board, including ours. My reaction was much like yours on your HAL cruise - we were just ordinary cruisers like everyone else, pretty independent.

You can run into the problem of the overbearing leader anywhere. Some people just like to tell other people what to do.

We have only experienced these groups on one Med. cruise and would not like to have these groups, or any large groups, on future cruises. It does change the usual refined quiet atmosphere found on Oceania cruises. Chances of having these groups are greater on shorter cruises which we try to avoid.

We've been part of an alum group on O and have been on cruises with other alum groups...no problems in either case.

You might see some university references on cabin doors even though one doesn't usually see "decorated" doors on O cruises and there may be some tables set up with event info for the groups but they usually don't hinder traffic flow on board.

You may also see team tee shirts worn and hear some smack talk among passengers that isn't typical of other cruises.

Often university flags are flown on rigging and that is kinda cool to see. You know it's a boat load of well educated people!

We have only experienced these groups on one Med. cruise and would not like to have these groups, or any large groups, on future cruises. It does change the usual refined quiet atmosphere found on Oceania cruises. Chances of having these groups are greater on shorter cruises which we try to avoid.

We had two of these groups on our last cruise..We travelled on the bus with them from the airport. One woman asked if the leaves on the trees in France fell off like they do at 'home'.I agree that they do affect the 'refined quiet atmosphere' on board. We also had two other groups on board, one of 20 and the other of more than a hundred!...Unfortunately they all seemed to move around the ship en masse.

As someone who spent many years answering teenagers' questions that other people would figuratively smack their foreheads over, I guess I don't have any problem with people asking about falling leaves in France.

I have often thanked people for answering my questions about their towns or countries that they probably shake their heads over when i leave, but bless their hearts, they seem to understand I really want to know....that's why I travel.

We've been part of an alum group on O and have been on cruises with other alum groups...no problems in either case.

You might see some university references on cabin doors even though one doesn't usually see "decorated" doors on O cruises and there may be some tables set up with event info for the groups but they usually don't hinder traffic flow on board.

Housekeeping quickly remover the door signs on our cruise.

Class rules on O.;)

On one of our O cruises we had alumni groups from eight colleges/universities. No problem at all. Their banners were displayed in the pool area one day ... Interesting to see. Also, they had their own excursions.

I would much rather have O fill cabins this way instead of discounting unsold cabins in various markets. These alumni folks are most welcome and seem to fit right in with the rest of O cruisers.

Edited by Noxequifans

+1, thank you.

Leaves don't fall off everywhere in the world.

I organize all the tours on any cruise I take, and I am usually in the front seat with the driver/guide. I ask MANY questions while we are driving, as I like to learn about the way of life/climate/customs/education system/health care of where we are.

I used to take turns letting other people sit in the front, but I have found that then NO questions get asked of the driver, except for the ones I call up from the back. Also, I have developed a relationship with the guide while booking and confirming tours, so I feel comfortable talking to them.

I'd like to think the guide would rather be sharing knowledge, or they wouldn't be in that job!

Interesting that housekeeping removed the signs. We've been on several cruises that alumni groups were also on and the signs remained up for the duration of the cruise.

They were only small signs with the team name or university logo, although one sign did read "cocktail party here" that remained up for that day.

I'm pretty sure the folks from Northwestern did not worry about class that day.

+1, thank you.

Leaves don't fall off everywhere in the world.

I organize all the tours on any cruise I take, and I am usually in the front seat with the driver/guide. I ask MANY questions while we are driving, as I like to learn about the way of life/climate/customs/education system/health care of where we are.

I used to take turns letting other people sit in the front, but I have found that then NO questions get asked of the driver, except for the ones I call up from the back. Also, I have developed a relationship with the guide while booking and confirming tours, so I feel comfortable talking to them.

I'd like to think the guide would rather be sharing knowledge, or they wouldn't be in that job!

On our coach...the driver only spoke Italian(although we were in France) and as no one on board spoke Italian, no questions were asked. Goodness knows what would have happened if there had been an emergency.

BTW The leaves were turning brown, ready to fall off.

We have been part of an alumni trip, too with 10 schools. There was a large reception one night in the lounge, but was still room for other passengers to have a drink.

This was not true on one cruise where a large corporation (automobile related) had purchased a huge number of rooms. Six of us went up for cocktails and were told we were not allowed in as a private party was taking place. No announcement was in the Currents. We were told to go down to the Grand Ball or Martinis. No apology. Also the group took over restaurants on another nights.

So give me alumni groups any time!

We've experienced this twice on O, both on an R-ship. I think the numbers were between 75 and 200, so at most they represented less than a third of the ship's passengers.

To be honest, the groups were a slight nuisance and avoiding them was definitely unavoidable, including not being able to access certain venues at certain times due to their private events.

So we didn't enjoy these cruises as much than on our other O cruises where there weren't any alumni groups. but it didn't ruin our cruise.

It will be a more lively atmosphere on the cruise (i.e., in the GDR during dinner) to be sure.

We've experienced this twice on O, both on an R-ship. I think the numbers were between 75 and 200, so at most they represented less than a third of the ship's passengers.

To be honest, the groups were a slight nuisance and avoiding them was definitely unavoidable, including not being able to access certain venues at certain times due to their private events.

So we didn't enjoy these cruises as much than on our other O cruises where there weren't any alumni groups. but it didn't ruin our cruise.

It will be a more lively atmosphere on the cruise (i.e., in the GDR during dinner) to be sure.

This has been pretty much our experience with larger groups as well.

I think any group could be a problem, however to make it liveable would depend how they act as a group. I wouldn't want to be on any cruise with a large group--that said it's business for the cruise line and it's not going to stop anytime soon. (I'm talking about Companies & Schools-not travel groups)

Rick

On any cruise....anywhere you are in total control of yourself. You can choose to get upset or be happy with any situation. No one to blame or laude but YOU

I have never had a bad cruise. Never had a bad meal, Never drank a bad wine , never had a bad cabin and never had anyone ruin my enjoyment.....Because life is too short and God doesn't give transfers.

The only problem We ever have with a group is if they close the O lounge to the rest of the pax at cocktail time. Then we do get upset with management for not warning us in advance and also for closing the observation lounge at cocktail time in the first place.:mad:

Hawaiidan,

Life is Good, yes it is!! But I don't think your telling the full truth. I agree you make it what it is, and most people or group(s) handle them self pretty good. But never had a bottle of bad wine, or a not so good cabin (maybe cabin because you get what you pay for), or that not sooooooo good meal. Not sure I can believe that.

Rick

and on the second part, Mayan Mystique there was a large Aggie group. It was fun to watch and Oceania handled them well. They also had signs on their doors, and they were really nice people. It seemed to me that they were having a lot of fun.

The only problem We ever have with a group is if they close the O lounge to the rest of the pax at cocktail time. Then we do get upset with management for not warning us in advance and also for closing the observation lounge at cocktail time in the first place.:mad:

Something tells me if the closed one lounge I bet that there were several that were not closed......just a hunch. Nice to have the forward view but there are a lot of others.... then there is the veranda and your own bottle.