Future Cruise

baxman

How often do you book a future cruise while onboard? Is there an advantage that can't be equaled by just watching the website for special deals?

We always purchase a "Future cruise certificate." HAL's plan is not as generous as some, but it still provides a measure of on board credit when you book the next cruise using the certificate. If you are near certain to sail with HAL again, it's worth buying.

We have never actually booked a specific "Next cruise" on HAL. The way the price games are played, we tend to book late, after final payment.

I hope this helps!

How often do you book a future cruise while onboard? Is there an advantage that can't be equaled by just watching the website for special deals?

It is cheaper to put a FCD down and to use it for the next cruise that we book. For Example: FCD $250.00 (Neptune Suite and or length of future cruise) per person placed on board the ship, vs booking a cruise either on line or via TA is, depending on the length of the cruise, can be upwards of $700.00+. That is a big difference for some:)

Forgot to add that we place an FCD on almost every cruise we go on. And if we book a cruise within 60-90 days after disembarkation we usually get more OBC's.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

We purchase future cruise deposits from the Future Cruise Consultant while we are aboard the ships. It provides for a lower deposit when actually booking and On Board Credit. The amount of credit depends upon the length of the cruise you ulitmately book. The FCD's are good for four years and if not used, the cost will be refunded.

We don't wish to spend our vacation time making appointment with FCC and/or stand in line waiting for them to have time for us while we are on vacation. We rather make our bookings at home at our convenience.

On our last cruise I was annoyed that the papers we kept getting in our cabin "implied" that you would only get the On Board Credit associated with the Future Cruise Deposit if you booked while on the current cruise. If wish I would have saved some of those papers.

We always buy at least 2 x $100 credits on board, and like others, we don't waste more of our wonderful cruise time with the Cruise Consultant than we have to.

The On Board Credit is nice, but we especially appreciate having the reduced deposit - holding your stateroom at a minimum price until final payment is due is GREAT!

We also just buy the $100 minimum... if you book a longer cruise or more expensive stateroom you can just pay the additional 'minimum' deposit as if you had guessed the correct Future Cruise Credit to buy in the first place.

Edited by HALFans

I have booked an actual cruise while onboard but later changed my mind, so the Future Cruise Deposit went back into the "bank" until I found one I preferred. I can't remember the amount of OBCs per category, but I'm sure someone will post the info.

Shipboard Credit per Person when using FCD or booking while on board:

Interior/Ocean View Stateroom: 3 to 10 days = $25; 11 to 21 days = $50; 22 to 50 days = $100; 51+ days = $150

Verandah (VQ - VH*): 3 to 10 days = $50; 11 to 21 days = $75; 22 to 50 days = $150; 51+ days = $200

Deluxe (PS-S, SA-SZ, A-BC): 3 to 10 days = $50; 11 to 21 days = $100; 22 to 50 days = $150; 51+ days = $200

*BQ classified as Verandah on Veendam

so that I don't have to dig mine up... does anyone have handy the amount of OBC?

I know it depends on category booked & length of cruise.

A verandah for a 7 day is $35 I think?

Thanks.

Here's a current link for the Holland America future cruise credit info: http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/taPromos/FCC_Special_Pre-Cruise_Notice_Template_AP16870.pdf

Both the deposit and credit amounts vary depending on the length of the cruise and the stateroom category, but ALL of the deposits return you some free OBC, which is always a welcome benefit in addition to the reduced deposit.

On our last cruise I was annoyed that the papers we kept getting in our cabin "implied" that you would only get the On Board Credit associated with the Future Cruise Deposit if you booked while on the current cruise. If wish I would have saved some of those papers.

Unfortunately this is rather common along with other things I have been told as well as what others have told me that the Future Cruise consultant has told me.

While on the Veendam a few weeks ago I was just shocked at the completely wrong information the Future Cruise Consultant was telling a client and yes making it sound like they would ONLY get the Above and beyond Ship board credit if they booked now on the ship as well as the ship board credit that you receive even if it is a Future Cruise deposit. The person kept asking her what was the least expensive priced balcony on the Oosterdam and she kept offering him a VA then finally said when he questions ed well you go could to the VB :eek: I go the feeling the guy knew better and got up and walked away with out buying anything.

**But truly it is NEVER Ever a good idea to book the actual cruise on board the ship because you are cheating yourself. At 10 days to 2 weeks after you return home from yur cruise you will receive an email offering additional Ship Board Credit that doubles the credit you would have gotten from booking on board, it actually doubles the ship board credit from the Future Cruise Deposit. It is a ZPM promotion. I actually got mine email just this morning from our Veendam cruise over New Years and just last night I placed our Maasdam cruise on hold know it should be arriving ;)

So my advise is Do Not Cheat Yourself ;) This was my email....

Dear Valued Customer,

On behalf of everyone at Holland America Line and ******* (agency name), thank you for joining us on your recent voyage aboard the ms Veendam. We hope that every cruise detail exceeded your expectations.

To show our appreciation for choosing Holland America Line, please accept a special bonus of up to $200 per person shipboard credit on your next new cruise booking. (You must book by March 18, 2014, to receive this special offer.) View shipboard credit details.

With our Mariner Society® Rewards Program you may be eligible for additional benefits on your next cruise. Now may be a good time to update your travel preferences, and let us know where you're interested in traveling next. We'll keep you posted on the latest itineraries—plus you'll be entered to win a cruise for two!

Connect with fellow Mariner Society members or friends you met on board with our online community at HollandAmericaBlog.com, Facebook, Twitter or YouTube. In addition to sharing memories, photos and videos, and discussing travel tips and advice, follow us and you'll be among the first to learn about the latest cruising news from Holland America Line.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board very soon.

Best regards,

Stein Kruse

President & Chief Executive Officer

Holland America Line

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

I am aware of Promotion Coded ZPM but we almost never receive that e-mail. They do not send them automatically to everyone. We never got it from our August Veendam cruise. ;)

Anyone can get the additional OBC by mentioning the Code but if we don't get the e-mail, not everyone is aware of it.

I have had FCC's try to pressure me into booking while on board. I understand why but did not appreciate the 'approach' and did not comply with their request.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks for the information. Is the amount of a future cruise deposit determined based on the category of cabin you would most likely book? Husband wants to cruise New England this fall, but I would prefer to research it in depth after returning home. Too busy now with our upcoming cruise next weekend.

I am aware of Promotion Coded ZPM but we almost never receive that e-mail. They do not send them automatically to everyone. We never got it from our August Veendam cruise. ;)

Anyone can get the additional OBC by mentioning the Code but if we don't get the e-mail, not everyone is aware of it.

I have had FCC's try to pressure me into booking while on board. I understand why but did not appreciate the 'approach' and did not comply with their request.

Sail, that email often goes to spam email, not sure why about a year and a half ago mine went there and I found it because I was expecting it and quickly moved it to regular email and from then on it has gone to my regular IN box. I will state that when talking to people like I often do it does in fact go to spam email and many totally miss it. So next time start watching your spam email ;) I have questioned HAL and they state that EVERYONE that has registered an email address with their online registration will definitely get this email for a 7 day cruise or longer or at least till they decide to change this offer. Even if you do not get the email and you have just returned you will definitely qualify :)

No,,,, not in my case.

As I've mentioned, I know to look for it.

I check my spam often and it never was sent to me after a number of cruises.

DH has a different server, different computer and he never gets it either.

HAL may say everyone gets that e-mail but that is not the case.

Edited by sail7seas

No,,,, not in my case.

As I've mentioned, I know to look for it.

I check my spam often and it never was sent to me after a number of cruises.

DH has a different server, different computer and he never gets it either.

HAL may say everyone gets that e-mail but that is not the case.

Lisa - I've never gotten that email either, in all the years I have sailed with HAL.:( I've often seen mention of the ZPM code and had no idea what it was. I will be sure to check my junk mail in future.

If honestly think it makes not difference if you the email or not. Just ask your TA for the ZPM promotion. I didn't get an email once and asked and my TA got it right on no problem. In fact she was already on top of it when I emailed her :D

It's just a matter of booking within a certain time frame of returning from your cruise (around 60-65 days from my experience) and asking for it :D

If honestly think it makes not difference if you the email or not. Just ask your TA for the ZPM promotion. I didn't get an email once and asked and my TA got it right on no problem. In fact she was already on top of it when I emailed her :D

It's just a matter of booking within a certain time frame of returning from your cruise (around 60-65 days from my experience) and asking for it :D

Yes, you only have to ask for the Promo Code to get it.

The catch is without receiving the e-mail (or reading here on CC), how would you know it exists? If you don't get the e-mail, many would not know to ask for the additional OBC.

I know about and I ask for it but not everyone does so yes, it does make a difference.

Yes, you only have to ask for the Promo Code to get it.

The catch is without receiving the e-mail (or reading here on CC), how would you know it exists? If you don't get the e-mail, many would not know to ask for the additional OBC.

I know about and I ask for it but not everyone does so yes, it does make a difference.

my not difference referred to getting the promotion. If someone doesn't get the email, they can still get the promotion. I agree that if you don't get the email and don't have the knowledge and don't have a TA that knows, then you could miss out. No question.

Now, why do I suspect that HAL makes sure that email gets to everyone who is relatively new and might miss some well cruised people :rolleyes::D

Now, why do I suspect that HAL makes sure that email gets to everyone who is relatively new and might miss some well cruised people :rolleyes::D

Hummm. I wonder if you are on to something here.

Regardless of what Laffnvegas asserts, I agree with Sail, VermeulT, and startwin---I have never gotten the e-mail, either. I check my spam folder at least once a day, and usually more often than that. HAL has the correct e-mail addy to let me know when my documents are ready, so it's not as if they have my e-mail incorrect, either.

The promo invitation is not sent to everyone.

Like Lisa, I received the welcome home email today after our New Years cruise that ended January 5.

Right now I have nothing good to say about the on board future cruise consultant. We were told we had to buy future cruise deposits for our children when we shouldn't have as they're always in our cabin. Then we specified we wanted them in USA $ and she put the deposits in Canadian $. Thank goodness for a great TA who knows the ropes.

Unfortunately this is rather common along with other things I have been told as well as what others have told me that the Future Cruise consultant has told me.

While on the Veendam a few weeks ago I was just shocked at the completely wrong information the Future Cruise Consultant was telling a client and yes making it sound like they would ONLY get the Above and beyond Ship board credit if they booked now on the ship as well as the ship board credit that you receive even if it is a Future Cruise deposit. The person kept asking her what was the least expensive priced balcony on the Oosterdam and she kept offering him a VA then finally said when he questions ed well you go could to the VB :eek: I go the feeling the guy knew better and got up and walked away with out buying anything.

**But truly it is NEVER Ever a good idea to book the actual cruise on board the ship because you are cheating yourself. At 10 days to 2 weeks after you return home from yur cruise you will receive an email offering additional Ship Board Credit that doubles the credit you would have gotten from booking on board, it actually doubles the ship board credit from the Future Cruise Deposit. It is a ZPM promotion. I actually got mine email just this morning from our Veendam cruise over New Years and just last night I placed our Maasdam cruise on hold know it should be arriving ;)

So my advise is Do Not Cheat Yourself ;) This was my email <snipped> ...

Lisa - Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy. :D After seeing/hearing "what was implied" on that 14 day cruise I was starting to think that I was wrong. :eek: