Odd question about bringing my own Honey.

gibby937

I have an odd question. We are beekeepers and we love our honey! Especially in our coffee. Nothing beats fresh honey, especially when it comes from your own bee yard. We are sailing in independence in a week. Do you think they will allow a 12 fluids oz jar of my local honey with my carry on? It will be labeled as such. Not sure if they may consider it produce.

Edited by gibby937

I would suggesting calling royal to make sure. However, if you put it in your carryon there is less risk of it getting confiscated. I don't believe they ask about bringing honey onboard :) worse case is that it would have to be tossed away.

I love honey in my Greek yogurt :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do not know about rules for Honey in the USA but over here in UK they are very strict and do not allow it into the country because of the huge decline in our honeybees from various viruses.

We have a big ongoing save the Honeybees campaign at the moment.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that honey is considered an agricultural product, and subject to the same tight restrictions as plants, fruits, etc.

You'll be driving past my house on your way down, though, so you could just drop it off. I adore honey. :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that honey is considered an agricultural product, and subject to the same tight restrictions as plants, fruits, etc.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that might be an issue taking it OFF the ship, but not taking it on.

I would not want US Customs to find honey when you return at the end of the cruise; not only will they take it away but then they are going to search the rest of your luggage for other items that are not allowed. My friend works for USDA on the west coast and they are very concerned about bugs that could desamate our food supply.

Do not know about rules for Honey in the USA but over here in UK they are very strict and do not allow it into the country because of the huge decline in our honeybees from various viruses.

This is a worldwide phenomenon I believe. I am surprised that it is generally admissible in the US.

Are you seriously planning to carry a 12 oz. jar of honey around the ship with you in case you want a cup of coffee? I can see having a morning cup in your cabin, but can't see bringing it to the WJ or MDR.

Same in Australia! Especially Western Australia, where the sniffer dogs at port will sit next to you if you have honey just as they sit next to drug carriers.

OP as a bee keeper I thought you would have known the huge risks of taking honey interstate and overseas:confused:

I don't know of any restrictions on moving a small jar of personal consumption honey around, internationally or not.

It's not being used as bee food, it's not moving live bees or queens, it's not 50 gallon drums, it should have absolutely no impact on the apiaries of any other country.

Fruits and vegetables are of concern, because they can harbor internal and external agricultural pests. Which mostly has to do with unlawful transportation and improper disposal.

Honeybees are important and threatened, but I don't think transporting a single jar of honey (from your own bees) for your own consumption on a cruise ship matters to the bees much at all. :D:):D